ADVERTISEMENT

My View

You realize our season tickets are $170 for priority level? At VCU, you have to have a minimum donation of $250 per seat and then season tickets prices start at $500 after that threshold is met. I would imagine the disparity is even greater for premium, courtside, and corporate seats.

Our season tickets are easy to sell because they have so little value.

I would love to see the comparison between how much $$$ Mooney brings in for us versus what Rhodes does for VCU. I know Rhodes has a nice jump due to those NCAA units he brings in seemingly every year.

The turn this has taken shows exactly why we have a coach for life, regardless of performance. The money guys and preferred donors like him. People who care about on court performance, do what you will with this information.

And regarding attendance. Our season average through 9 home games so far this year is 5,765.

Last few years where people were allowed in the building were 17-18 - 6,491, 18-19 - 5,730, 19-20 - 6,001

Reactions: Zeeter and GKiller
Wild guess, but season ticket sales will decline next year, I don't think finishing the year strong with a bunch of wins would make a difference. The outlook for next year simply won't be as optimistic as it was going into this year.

Reactions: whampas
Yes attendance is up from the 250 limit last year. It's also up after people were forced to stay at home and not attend a game for roughly 20 months. Amazing. Thanks Coach Mooney never could have happened without you. Now if attendance were down it would definitely be the message board's fault tho. and my goodness there is scrutiny & negativity here? For high profile high level sports? We're innovators here I guess. But good thing Coach Mooney, given his performance, has also been treated better and been shown more patience than any other coach ANYWHERE else at a level equal too or better than ours.

And regarding attendance. Our season average through 9 home games so far this year is 5,765.

Last few years where people were allowed in the building were 17-18 - 6,491, 18-19 - 5,730, 19-20 - 6,001

Damnit ur2K we're up from the 250 in 2020-21 that's all that matters!

+ the likely future trend is big number for VCU, then a couple of purchased seats reported with not anywhere near as close to fannies in the seats games to close.

By what metric are UR's athletic results among the most profound in the US and NCAA?
Profound . Absolutely! Please remember if you are a Spider alum, you chose a small school. There are approx. 4000 degree granting colleges and Universities in the US. There are 2400 private institutions and 1600 public. Now there are 360 D1 members (#'s change each yr,). 100 do not play football. 260 play both FB and BB. There are 27 schools with enrollment of <4000. Metrics are not too complicated. Everyone will concede UR is an elite academic university. Athletically if not profound, then elite......... UR is one of the smallest in the country, has one National Championship in football, many conference titles. Spider basketball since 1980 has 6 conference titles, 9 NCAA appearances, 10 in the NIT.

Now if you want to challenge, go through the list of D1 schools with <4000 enrollment who play both D1 Basketball and Football (Uninterrupted since 1981) Please post the answer! Thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Profound . Absolutely! Please remember if you are a Spider alum, you chose a small school. There are approx. 4000 degree granting colleges and Universities in the US. There are 2400 private institutions and 1600 public. Now there are 360 D1 members (#'s change each yr,). 100 do not play football. 260 play both FB and BB. There are 27 schools with enrollment of <4000. Metrics are not too complicated. Everyone will concede UR is an elite academic university. Athletically if not profound, then elite......... UR is one of the smallest in the country, has one National Championship in football, many conference titles. Spider basketball since 1980 has 6 conference titles, 9 NCAA appearances, 10 in the NIT.

Now if you want to challenge, go through the list of D1 schools with <4000 enrollment who play both D1 Basketball and Football (Uninterrupted since 1981) Please post the answer! Thank you!
Spider Basketball from 1980 to 2000 was successful in winning conference championships. Now look at the last 20 years, most of which were coached by Chris Mooney. One conference tournament championship a decade ago. I'm not sure what a discussion of the 20 or so years preceding the Chris Mooney era does besides prove the point that the program is falling off. 5 conference championships > 1 conference championship.

I'm also not sure what you're trying to prove with a list of small D1 schools, or frankly, what UR or anyone else's football team has to do with Chris Mooney or the UR basketball program.

Of course an opinion of what is elite or profound could be subjective, and 1 conference championship and 2 NCAA tournament appearances in 20 years could be viewed by some as such. It seems though that myself and many others on here have higher expectations.

I hear ya, LKN, and none of that is wrong. I would ask in response, though, whether our size is really what has been holding us back from even more accomplishments or whether other things have been. I mean we're not a D3 team with poor facilities trying to play D1 basketball. We're a well-endowed, long-time member of what historically has been a top-7 basketball league, though granted in recent years a little lower than that. Still, I think the size argument only lasts so long.

We have all the resources we need to achieve consistent success at this level. Do you agree? If not, then we should move down. But competing at this level is who we've been for decades at this point. I can agree that historically in the last 42 years, sure, it looks like a nice overall resume and it is. But when you see how much money we have spent in the last 10 specifically for this basketball program, I think it's very difficult to justify in light of the lack of meaningful results.

Mr. 8legger, I want the same results every Spider fan wants: Championships, conference titles, dominate our rivalries, more fan attendance, etc.
However, the level of criticism, negativity, meaness and personal attacks totally devalues any reasonsable comments and/or influence. The end result is more anger and embarrassment! Hope all can agree to the following: ATTORNEYS don't win cases by embarrassing the JUDGE!!!, EMPLOYEES don't get promoted by embarrassing their BOSS!!! And HUSBANDS don't win arguments by embarrassing their SPOUSES!
Try dialing down the anger, nastiness and personal insults! It will take time for this board to be respected.
What personal insults?

• Haha
Reactions: Gallipoli

Size of student body is a proxy for money. Money buys facilities, coaches etc. Thanks to the Robins we had a great head start on that. So yes we have a history of success, Tarrant, football championship at the same size we are now. You can make all the excuses you’d like but reality is we had great success at the same size we are now, But not with the coaches we have now

…..season ticket sales increased, attendance is up, even student attendance has been excellent, RC has been rocking! BTW, Coach Mooney helps to raise more money for UR development than you would believe. The big pic is not only W's.
Ticket sales may have been up, but I am sure that is a combination of no one being able to attend games last year and the “best team ever” hype. Attendance is definitely not up and it is going to be interesting to see how many VCU fans invade the RC this year- filling in the empty seats. UR better hope the students keep coming to games or they will have no alumni base. If Mooney is such a good fundraiser then maybe UR should hire him on that capacity instead of coaching Men’s basketball. It can’t be coaching success that is leading to donations. Coaching success is universally measured in Ws.

Ticket sales may have been up, but I am sure that is a combination of no one being able to attend games last year and the “best team ever” hype. Attendance is definitely not up and it is going to be interesting to see how many VCU fans invade the RC this year- filling in the empty seats. UR better hope the students keep coming to games or they will have no alumni base. If Mooney is such a good fundraiser then maybe UR should hire him on that capacity instead of coaching Men’s basketball. It can’t be coaching success that is leading to donations. Coaching success is universally measured in Ws.
Mr. Richmond Native.....you didn't do your homework! Attendance is absolutely up! 2021/22 season through first 8 home games and has averaged 5,676, up 6% vs 2019/20 5,372 (Non-covid yr. until A10 tournament). Now consider yr 2019/20 schedule.........Spiders played (two P5 opponents) Vanderbilt, Boston College, South Alabama and College of Charleston....all better opponent FAN DRAWS than the first 8 home games this season!

I have it as about a 4% increase through 9 games. Huge increase. Thanks coach for life.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Mr. Richmond Native.....you didn't do your homework! Attendance is absolutely up! 2021/22 season through first 8 home games and has averaged 5,676, up 6% vs 2019/20 5,372 (Non-covid yr. until A10 tournament). Now consider yr 2019/20 schedule.........Spiders played (two P5 opponents) Vanderbilt, Boston College, South Alabama and College of Charleston....all better opponent FAN DRAWS than the first 8 home games this season!
I call for an audit. I have been at every home game this year and I am sorry, but the average attendance is not 79%. I was very surprised at the number of open seats for the special Friday night game against Davidson, the first place team in the A10. I see the official attendance is shown as 6471 out of the official capacity of 7201, but that wasn’t a 90% crowd. I will give UR the edge on getting better attendance compared to some other A10 schools, but I am not buying this narrative.

Attendance = tickets sold. Want til vcu reports their attendance. Huge blocks of empty seats there

Attendance = tickets sold. Want til vcu reports their attendance. Huge blocks of empty seats there
Yes, I realize that all teams count that way. I also was referring to VCU‘s crowds this year compared to UR’s. Although based on what I see on TV right now, a higher percentage of VCU’s fans are in their seats for the Davidson game tonight than UR had.

The point is there is a difference between perception and reality. Seems just like the coaching situation to me.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Mr. LKN,

The all due respect, your thinking is small. The basketball program could be so much more under the right leadership. Your point of view seems to be along the same line of thinking as the BOT and faculty which is a shame. We can have a great academic school AND an elite A10 program. That is what UR could be if it chose to be under the right leadership.

Mr. LKN,

The all due respect, your thinking is small. The basketball program could be so much more under the right leadership. Your point of view seems to be along the same line of thinking as the BOT and faculty which is a shame. We can have a great academic school AND an elite A10 program. That is what UR could be if it chose to be under the right leadership.
Spider B. Gee Whiz! Thank you for your honesty.

I call for an audit. I have been at every home game this year and I am sorry, but the average attendance is not 79%. I was very surprised at the number of open seats for the special Friday night game against Davidson, the first place team in the A10. I see the official attendance is shown as 6471 out of the official capacity of 7201, but that wasn’t a 90% crowd. I will give UR the edge on getting better attendance compared to some other A10 schools, but I am not buying this narrative.
Please accept the facts until you have data other than your opinion!

among all D1 schools, in the Eastern Time Zone, with an arachnid as it's mascot, that haven't sniffed the NCAA's in over a decade we are PROFOUNDLY ELITE
8legs, you apparently went to to the wrong size school. Should have gone to VCU, JMU or ODU.

Reactions: Gallipoli
Most fans stayed home, because of COVID. I know my family did. The last thing I want to do is catch COVID, while watching a disheartening loss.

Athletic staffing and coaching decisions not made by this message board or me. Generally speaking, what we think does not matter either... especially at private schools. Our Board of Trustees is ultimately responsible for everything at UR. Personally I support our coaches, Athletic staff, BOD and administration because I am a loyal alum, proud of UR and the OVERALL results athletically and academically are among the most profound in the US and NCAA. If you knew my wife and me, no one wants to win every game more than we do!! Go Spiders!!
While I don’t disagree that our voice means little, I have trouble understanding how you want championships and admit that the Board of Trustees makes all of the calls which has us in a predicament in which we haven’t won anything in over a decade, but later state that you support this very same Board. How is that logical?

Your description of UR's downfall is both fanatical and untrue. As I just mentioned in another post, season ticket sales increased, attendance is up, even student attendance has been excellent, RC has been rocking! BTW, Coach Mooney helps to raise more money for UR development than you would believe. The big pic is not only W's.
This post is frightening.

Anachnid I remember in 72 my freshman year and seeing a fire Lew Mills sign in the stands and being a little in shock with what was happening. Have cheered for UR sports regardless of record, but at same time knew change needed to take place. Only benefit for Lew Mills was when Lennie Wertz was doing our game and the fans turned their focus to him. We all need to remember also that we can easily go from the frying pan into the fire as example Mills to Sloan.
No one can be worse than the Moondog and even if they are at least we gave it a try. 17 years is a cray amount of time to give someone a chance to succeed. The replacement should have a much much shorter leash.

I remember seeing something that season ticket sales were up this year which must be driving the increase in attendance.

People bought these tickets because of the teams potential. We clearly arent living up to expectations so let’s see what happens next year with the attendance numbers.

Reactions: bullfrog91
No one can be worse than the Moondog and even if they are at least we gave it a try. 17 years is a cray amount of time to give someone a chance to succeed. The replacement should have a much much shorter leash.
This post is frightening.
Agree with both of your posts! I’m a very optimistic spiders fan but you can’t just ignore everything happening this season.

Reactions: Eight Legger

When you are in the arena with 360 D1 members, you are competing with 360 D1 members. If you were competing with 27 small D1 members, then you would be in the arena with 27 small members. When it comes to basketball, UR has chosen to compete with all 360 D1 institutions as it relates to 1) compensation of coach, 2) facilities, 3) conference affiliation, 4) narrative, 5) seeking NCAA championships.

Argue that UR is elite amongst the small if you wish, but the narrative doesn't align with stated objectives or program positioning. Classic example of trying to have one's cake and eat it too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT