ADVERTISEMENT

Lunardi impact

SpiderTrap

Graduate Assistant
Nov 6, 2007
I know this was mentioned in another thread about our schedule and in my opinion - we don't have a great schedule this year by any means, but a good schedule given the team we have. It is also a schedule that will allow Mooney and staff to stay employed as they should be able to rack up wins in the OOC based on what we see so far through 7 games.

With that being said - how realistic is it that Lunardi had an impact on this schedule? Didn't UR just announce him as a consultant back in February/March 2019 - and usually schedules, especially with home and home agreements and in-season tourneys are made up at least 1 year in advance with maybe a few open slots. I would expect next year is the big year we see the Lunardi impact with our schedule and with everyone returning from what hopefully turns out to be a 20 win team this year - there should be more motivation to schedule tougher games in the OOC.

I also think, assuming they are home-home deals - that the Vandy, BC, and Alabama games could be very beneficial next year in terms of Quad games because two would be on the road with Vandy and BC, and Alabama would be back in RIC. I would expect Vandy to be improved in year 2 under Stackhouse, and BC might get better, and Alabama is very young as well with a lot returning.

I don't get the constant complaining about "hiring" Lunardi as a consultant. some seems to think it was a big expense. I think we gave him a box of donuts to take a look at what we're doing and give some feedback. he's not calling schools and making the schedule.

I don't get the constant complaining about "hiring" Lunardi as a consultant. some seems to think it was a big expense. I think we gave him a box of donuts to take a look at what we're doing and give some feedback. he's not calling schools and making the schedule.
I thought he was getting $1.3 million/yr?

Reactions: Eight Legger
I am okay with having Lunardi as a consultant - and agree, he is not making the schedule - but I would hope, he is making suggestions on teams we should try to schedule based on his understanding of the selection process and quad breakdown. I just think next year's schedule is the first year you will see Lunardi's impact. I doubt he had little impact on this year schedule because when he was brought it - the schedule should have been 90% complete at that point.

Dear Coach,

Here are my scheduling recommendations:
- Only the weakest Power conference teams
- No road games until December
- Try to get your easiest opponents early and at home

My donut preference is Sugar Shack.
Regards, CB

I don't get a lot of the complaining on here. You would think we were 1-6 and not 6-1.

Reactions: gcarter52
I don't get a lot of the complaining on here. You would think we were 1-6 and not 6-1.
8 years, no NCAA is not wiped out by one good November. We all are behind the team and the players but still lots of questions regarding the leadership of said program. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to understand.

1. JOEY BAG O DONUTS!!!

2. I’m going to start another brand new thread on Lunardi

3. Who does ULLA work for!?
(Austin Powers voice)

1. JOEY BAG O DONUTS!!!

2. I’m going to start another brand new thread on Lunardi

3. Who does ULLA work for!?
(Austin Powers voice)
Think he got paid more than a "box of donuts". And then same people are complaining that the Athletic Department doesn't have any $$$ to buy out Mooney, but we go throw it around on scheduling consultants, to do the job that are already paid coaching staff is supposed to do. .

I believe the Athletic Department didn't have the kind of $$$ to buy out Mooney but I also think they decided that he had turned a 2 year (not 8) disaster around with a strong roster from recently consistent recruiting success.

if you show me that we spent an exorbitant amount on Lunardi then I'll certainly agree it was a waste. but I don't believe he costs much. he consults. it's not a full time job.

Reactions: plydogg and VT4700
I believe the Athletic Department didn't have the kind of $$$ to buy out Mooney but I also think they decided that he had turned a 2 year (not 8) disaster around with a strong roster from recently consistent recruiting success.

if you show me that we spent an exorbitant amount on Lunardi then I'll certainly agree it was a waste. but I don't believe he costs much. he consults. it's not a full time job.
He costs more than a box of donuts.

I have it on good authority that they were croissants flown in from Paris.

Reactions: fatherspider
My guess would be - considering it is consulting, and that remember Lunardi is officially the Director of Marketing and Broadcast Services for St. Joes - I would guess UR paid him around $100K for his part time consulting services, and I would guess there is a guarantee for multiple years - likely 2-3 years. If he helps you get to the NCAA tournament and you win a game - that is money well spent.

My guess would be - considering it is consulting, and that remember Lunardi is officially the Director of Marketing and Broadcast Services for St. Joes - I would guess UR paid him around $100K for his part time consulting services, and I would guess there is a guarantee for multiple years - likely 2-3 years. If he helps you get to the NCAA tournament and you win a game - that is money well spent.
It would be money well-spent except if you consider you could probably glean the same information from some of the various MBB evaluation/analytics sites. I mean, we have at least 2-3 people on this site who seem to understand how you play the quad game properly to position yourself for a bid and they're offering that info for free on the chatboard.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business. Getting on the horn with Broc, Fan2011 and VT to assemble my crack team. Incentive stock options only, par value $.01.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Why is it complaining... it is a discussion. Isnt that what this board is, a discussion forum?

Probably fair to say that. I guess it feels like complaining when an unrelated negative comment shows up out of nowhere on what was a positive thread. Related and disagreeing seems fine, but when it is totally unrelated to the thread, it seems like it is complaining just to complain. But, I get what you are saying. Discussion is good and if we all agreed things would be boring. So, I can agree with you here. Probably more discussion than complaining. My fault to say otherwise.

Joe NO BUYOUT Lunardi. Come on you don't really think we signed him to a guaranteed 3 year 300k contract do you?

Lunardi’s bracketology on 12/2 did not have Spiders.

In all seriousness the PR part of this hire would be the real benefit. Yet when he had a legit chance we r nowhere to be found.

Trap for 3 years and 300k I was expecting the 1 line. Lol.

Lunardi update 12/9 - we are now the 5th team out in his latest bracketology.

We got the better deal with Andy Katz, we paid him zero.

I want to negotiate my next contract with SpiderTrap.

Reactions: urfan1 and ur2K
Lunardi’s bracketology on 12/2 did not have Spiders.

In all seriousness the PR part of this hire would be the real benefit. Yet when he had a legit chance we r nowhere to be found.

Trap for 3 years and 300k I was expecting the 1 line. Lol.
Lunardi gonna come through for us later in the year. Everyone would know the fix is in, if he starts putting us too early. All about timing, here. You think we were paying Lunardi for scheduling.... Ha.

Reactions: spider23
Lunardi update...

12/16 bracketology - we go 1-0 on week and drop from 5th team out to 8th team out.

It's like Lunardi does not respect our schedule or something.

#22 in first Net, heck he's justified. if he's only gonna put us in when we're obvious that is f'd up. Gotta get our $ worth when we're borderline, that's when we really need the publicity push.

Jabba the Hardt or Philly Bob put in a call to our little buddy Joe asap. Clearly our check must have bounced.

Last edited:
Lunardi update...

12/16 bracketology - we go 1-0 on week and drop from 5th team out to 8th team out.

It's like Lunardi does not respect our schedule or something.

#22 in first Net, heck he's justified. if he's only gonna put us in when we're obvious that is f'd up. Gotta get our $ worth when we're borderline, that's when we really need the publicity push.

Jabba the Hardt or Philly Bob put in a call to our little buddy Joe asap. Clearly our check must have bounced.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but he can't make his bracket based on who he does consulting for. Believe it or not, some people in this world still have character and are ethical. And, his brackets are never his opinions anyway. He does a bracket based on what he thinks the committee will do.

Lunardi update 12/9 - we are now the 5th team out in his latest bracketology.

We got the better deal with Andy Katz, we paid him zero.

I want to negotiate my next contract with SpiderTrap.
Are these predictions related to work accomplished so far or for likely finish? If the former then his scheduling sucks considering we are 9-1 and only lose to a top 15 team.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but he can't make his bracket based on who he does consulting for. Believe it or not, some people in this world still have character and are ethical. And, his brackets are never his opinions anyway. He does a bracket based on what he thinks the committee will do.

Well I might find some humor in it BUT...

spare the ethics. His scheduling consulting could easily be argued as being unethical to begin with given his ESPN gig.

Yes there are many with character and ethics, but I would not say high level college sports is flush with those people. Filled with politics, filled with $. And the committee without reproach? They've been biased to the power conferences with regards to selection and seeding. Look I'm trying to give our AD dept some credit. Maybe we're playing the game. Good grief we don't need to pay Lunardi to sorta kinda recommend 6 games to schedule. The value is in the publicity, the more brackets we're in the better, the more acceptance there is. May even resonate with committee as no doubt they look at the top bracketology sites. Lunardi has a vested interest in us doing well. Also if you're doing bracketology this early it really has nothing to do with what the committee will do. A NET 22 ranking team would not be left out. Right now it is very fluid and predictive he could easily put us in.

So *wink wink* Lunardi put us in your bracket.

And *wink wink* if we paid u the 300K like SpiderTrap believes put us in your bracket or we'll break your tiny legs with a baseball bat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT