ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Hunger - 2022 Offer/Visit

I wonder if we’re still really involved with him. Don’t feel like we’re getting much mention as a heavy competitor for his services.

I wonder if we’re still really involved with him. Don’t feel like we’re getting much mention as a heavy competitor for his services.
the good news ... we're still very involved.
"I would say I hear the most from Miami, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Northwestern, Pennsylvania,” Hunger said.

Richmond: “The whole staff is recruiting me. They have a great style of play that runs through their bigs, they also just got a brand-new facility.”

Great article, thanks for sharing. Good to see we are still in the mix.
Hate to see some of the names like Michigan and Wisconsin being added but just validates he’d truly be a great addition to the team. Going to be hard to compete with Michigan if they can convince him he’ll have a big role, though his commentary about Richmond is spot on — he’d have the opportunity to showcase his talents.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Hard to believe this is going to work out in the short term. Best chance to me is if he goes to a P5 and doesn’t get the expected playing time and transfers to UR.

Speaking of transfers, any news on that front? The “extra spot“ was identified as one that was likely destined for such.

he's got great options. if family atmosphere is a priority then we certainly have that. he'd also have to want a smaller school. a lot of big ones on his list.

Speaking of transfers, any news on that front? The “extra spot“ was identified as one that was likely destined for such.
I hadn't heard anything about the 2nd spot being for a transfer. with only 2 spots, I assume we'll fill them both with freshmen. that certainly seems to be the idea since we're recruiting 3 big forward types.

I hadn't heard anything about the 2nd spot being for a transfer. with only 2 spots, I assume we'll fill them both with freshmen. that certainly seems to be the idea since we're recruiting 3 big forward types.
But wouldn't they have already missed a lot of classes? ;)

I wonder how much of Luke's day is spent talking to coaches. he's got 24 offers plus others on the verge, and it sounds like most are actively recruiting him. not sure how you manage that.

I think it’s all text messages. I don’t even think kids these days know how to talk on the phone.
lol. I'm sure there are some texts but calls are pretty much unlimited most of the year per NCAA rules. you're trying to get a kid comfortable with you as a coach. texting isn't going to do it.

lol. I'm sure there are some texts but calls are pretty much unlimited most of the year per NCAA rules. you're trying to get a kid comfortable with you as a coach. texting isn't going to do it.
I think you’re out of touch with 18-22 year olds and how they communicate :)

I guess transfers are something to talk about in the Dec/Jan timeframe, but what I was really wondering is what plan b might be. I am not getting any good vibes on any of the 3 remaining PF targets. I think Avila is the most likely IF he would want to play much further from home.

the good news ... we're still very involved.
"I would say I hear the most from Miami, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Michigan, Northwestern, Pennsylvania,” Hunger said.

Richmond: “The whole staff is recruiting me. They have a great style of play that runs through their bigs, they also just got a brand-new facility.”

Thanks, good article. Feels like we are still in the mix given the description. Similar stories as a couple other schools.

This is where not playing in NCAA in a decade hurts recruiting. Our facilities are 1st class, no doubt. Gotta win though to win these type of recruiting battles.
that does makes sense, but doesn't really seem to be the case. our recruiting has been very good despite not dancing. I'm not sure kids worry about what happened before they get to a program as long as the program is competitive. they expect to win because they've always been on winners. they want to see a path to playing time. they want really good players around them. they want great facilities. they want a strong fan base.

we're a much smaller school than most on his list. and he's got some bigger conferences. if he wants big, we're not going to win. our best shot is the family feel of this team, and if he likes the smaller school feel.

Reactions: VT4700
that does makes sense, but doesn't really seem to be the case. our recruiting has been very good despite not dancing. I'm not sure kids worry about what happened before they get to a program as long as the program is competitive. they expect to win because they've always been on winners. they want to see a path to playing time. they want really good players around them. they want great facilities. they want a strong fan base.

we're a much smaller school than most on his list. and he's got some bigger conferences. if he wants big, we're not going to win. our best shot is the family feel of this team, and if he likes the smaller school feel.
While I agree with your overall premise, I think the fact we haven’t made the tournament in some time really hurts us with recruiting. Just watch the recent intro videos of all the freshman — they all cite making the tournament as their goal for the year. Going to a school that has a legacy of winning and competing in the tournament has to be part of the decision making.

Reactions: plydogg and RESRam
I expect every kid aspires to play in the tournament. They may be willing to give a program a pass if they’re historically competitive but I’d be very surprised if they don’t weigh tournament participation, much less success, heavily in the equation.

While I agree with your overall premise, I think the fact we haven’t made the tournament in some time really hurts us with recruiting. Just watch the recent intro videos of all the freshman — they all cite making the tournament as their goal for the year. Going to a school that has a legacy of winning and competing in the tournament has to be part of the decision making.
Yes, our freshman have talked about making the tournament as a goal. But, they are our freshman, not someone else's, so how can you use their examples to say that a lack of tournament appearances affected recruiting? And, they, like other recruits, talk about the future, not the past. Heck, we got Tyler after 12 and 13 win seasons, and, guys like Wilson, Bailey, and Nelson obviously aren't worried about past tournament history.

I expect every kid aspires to play in the tournament. They may be willing to give a program a pass if they’re historically competitive but I’d be very surprised if they don’t weigh tournament participation, much less success, heavily in the equation.
Not if you're going to Northwestern. Just sayin'.

there are a lot of factors for kids to consider. why is a program unsuccessful? if there's too much holding a school back, that's a problem. a weak conference or substandard facililties for example.

pretty much all upper mid major conference teams have challenges recruiting a guy like Luke when the high major conference teams offer. as good a school as Richmond is, our academic reputation doesn't exceed the big schools on his list. our alumni network isn't as strong. we're less likely to land 4 star talent to surround him with. the gameday experience is solid but not to the level of a P5 program. we attract a few hundred students to the games.

we are a program that can win, though. and we have more of a family feel than most. that's huge for a lot of kids. you show a kid that and let him choose. every kid is different. and they don't always make the choice you or I would make. Fordham just landed a 4 star kid. location was obviously important to him, but with his list I don't know how you pick Fordham. but he did. it can happen.

Reactions: VT4700
because it must not always matter about history. I assume location was a big factor for Richardson.

Reactions: urfan1
great article. thanks, VT.

note to LI Spider ... they talked every day! not texted, lol.

if GM and Fordham who have been even worse than us in recent history can pull these big name recruits then why can't we?
Location and Fordham hit the reset button and hired an assistant coach from a recent NCAA championship team. I think Kyle Neptune has something to sell.

Awesome!

either this is unofficial or the June one was, right? you can only take one official visit to a school.

this is the most confident I've felt about his recruitment. I'll be surprised if he doesn't commiton a 2nd visit. LET'S GO!

Reactions: plydogg
Both official. As of last year, you can now take five offficials as a junior, five as a senior (August 1 is where they draw the line), and then five as a postgrad (believe October 1 after you graduate is the line there). And you can repeat at a school as long as it's not in the same year. It appears we were the only official visit Luke did as a junior.

Both official. As of last year, you can now take five offficials as a junior, five as a senior (August 1 is where they draw the line), and then five as a postgrad (believe October 1 after you graduate is the line there). And you can repeat at a school as long as it's not in the same year. It appears we were the only official visit Luke did as a junior.
How do you read this? Is it it a positive development for us?

For Hunger specifically, or the policy in general? Obviously it's huge to get Luke on campus a second time. But in general, I'm not sure it has much impact on us since it applies to all schools...not really able to convince myself there's an angle that benefits us more than other schools.

I believe Luke has officially visited Northwestern, Miami and Harvard and now UR as a senior. he only has one more if he wants it. Yale maybe?

to come back to UR is huge considering he has 24 offers and has already been here. but I may have overstated my excitement. maybe he just wants to visit us for comparison during the school year. tough to get a feel in June. he's got a great list.

Back to the top with this thread. Every year or two I say if Mooney can land this guy, I will give him some slack on his recruiting abilities. This is definitely that guy this year. Huge, huge recruit for us imo.

Of course I might have put Nelson and Dji in this category:). Hunger would set up our roster for great success in the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT