ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Hunger - 2022 Offer/Visit

Pitino sees his potential:

And another solid performance in a losing effort at Peach Jam:

Bucknell looking for some help getting back on track after a couple of down years...

This guy is honestly one of the more interesting recruits to read about and see how this will turn out. We frequently read about guys who shortly after we read about them, we read about bigger offers etc. from Power 5 and generally know we are done. We also see guys who we are a very good offer for and maybe has one or two equivalent and a few lower and this group is where we seem to get most guys. Hunger doesn't fit in either box just yet. He has accumulated a lot of very good offers but without a lot of P5 stuff. We don't stand out as clearly his best or 2nd best offer, but without a lot of P5 activity yet, we should be able to compete with everyone who is out there for him right now. His list is fascinating to me. So many good high mid-majors but hasn't busted through the the P5 ceiling (yet).

I'd love to see how this plays out if his situation remains unchanged because this is a recruiting battle we can win and you need to win this kind. As has been said, its gonna be tough with a kid with a slew of big time P5 offers, but for us, we need to win some of these and steal a few lesser recruits who turn out better than expected.

However, I suspect his situation will change. As everyone finishes jockeying for position, i think the P5 schools who lost out on their other guys will come calling!

Good example of the odd array of offers he’s still pulling down…Cal Poly. All the way across the country and they went 3–20 last year.

it is surprising more bigger schools haven't gotten in here with his size and skill level. maybe that has something to do with the option for kids to return for an extra year, or maybe the one time instant transfer rule.

we're a great landing spot for a guy like this. but yeah, every new offer hurts our chances a little. one out of 17 offers and growing.

it is surprising more bigger schools haven't gotten in here with his size and skill level. maybe that has something to do with the option for kids to return for an extra year, or maybe the one time instant transfer rule.

we're a great landing spot for a guy like this. but yeah, every new offer hurts our chances a little. one out of 17 offers and growing.
Ye of little faith, until he commits, we have every bit of a chance as anyone. We are going to land someone significant, it will be our time!!

we have every bit of a chance as anyone.
exactly! about a 6% chance!

no, I like our chances a lot right now. unless the big P5 offers come in, filling his head with dreams of packed 15,000 seat arenas, smoking co-eds, and classrooms with no attendance policies.

exactly! about a 6% chance!

no, I like our chances a lot right now. unless the big P5 offers come in, filling his head with dreams of packed 15,000 seat arenas, smoking co-eds, and classrooms with no attendance policies.
I realize that I am dreaming but when I was in high school, I never thought I would go to UR. I
Venture to say that I had less than 3% chance of going to UR but it happened for me in 1975. No I didn’t play sports. Who would have thought that before I graduated from UR, I would be the first African American manager of the men’s basketball program. It can happen.

Last edited:
I realize that I am dreaming but when I was in high school, I never thought I would go to UR. I
Venture to say that I had less than 3% chance of going to UR but it happened for me in 1975. No I didn’t play sports. Who would have thought that before I graduated from UR, I would be the first African American manager of the men’s basketball program.

NMH-to-Ivy pipeline opening for him? (Brown was one of his first offers.)

I assume we’re still looking for another big even with the Walz commitment, and Hunger has been on top of my list. Just picked up a BC offer.

Too much activity on this guy I am afraid. But with only one spot open maybe Avila makes a decision sooner than later.

I think the key is not pitting them against each other. we usually don't play two bigs together, but could we with the right two if they can both pass and shoot and handle?
Hunger & Avila look like versatile bigs who can play the 4. they play on the perimeter a good amount.

Things have been pretty slow with August being a quiet/dead period, but Hunger just picked up an offer from Ole Miss.

Brief interview with Hunger…not a whole lot there, but we’re still the only official visit he’s taken and he doesn’t have a timetable for deciding.

“I look for a school that really fits my style of play. Meaning that they use their bigs in many different ways and allow them to play freely. I want an opportunity to make an impact as a freshman, I know that nothing is promised but I want to have an opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation.”

check.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll try to be a little more mindful of my posting volume, but seems like most people appreciate the regular updates on guys we appear to be heavily involved with.

There are probably a few guys like Brumbaugh where I can scale back on updates a bit more and really only post if we're mentioned somewhere or they're announcing a cut list or commitment.
Last catch-up comment as I’ve been reading the board for a few months now but have not posted anything until today…

SFSpidur, your posts and updates on the recruiting process and schedule creation are the reason I regularly read the board. I also don’t use Twitter — in fact I personally know very few people who actually do — so the aggregation of the information on here is extremely helpful and interesting for many of us. I think you also were the one who posted an Instagram post that showed Goose on crutches which was an incredible find and update — I was actually quite impressed.

Just wanted to say thank you and please keep doing what you’re doing!

I can’t take credit for the Goose photo (that was ur2k), but I appreciate the kind words! 😀

Hunger visiting Miami? I think we can lock this thread up.
I'm not giving up.

“I look for a school that really fits my style of play. Meaning that they use their bigs in many different ways and allow them to play freely. I want an opportunity to make an impact as a freshman, I know that nothing is promised but I want to have an opportunity to earn a spot in the rotation.”

we're a great fit ... unless he feels there's an overlap with Walz. as much as we fans can see them playing together, we don't know if they see that. or if Mooney sees that. we've never gone twin towers before. both do have perimeter skills despite their large size, though. it can work. but we haven't heard if we're still actively involved since the Walz commit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Interview with Luke. No real specific, but some general thoughts on recruiting fits.

PI: What are you looking for in a program when you do make that decision?

LH: Just a school that fits my style of play. That uses their bigs not just inside or not just outside but does everything with them. A school that there is an opportunity to make an impact right away. I've said this many times, nothing is ever guaranteed from coaches and I understand that. But not a spot where there are four or five guys ahead of you already as juniors and seniors. A place where I can earn minutes in the rotation. Then a good coaching staff, genuine, someone who has a plan for me and wants me to succeed.

nice. I watched that long interview with him and the Miami guy too. he comes across really well. very mature and thoughtful. comfortable expressing himself. he'll be a leader and and a good interview at whichever school he chooses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT