ADVERTISEMENT

Jake

Sorry to see him go, but yeah, it's the best for him I suspect. He will get more PT elsewhere. I think he saw the writing on the wall with Crabtree becoming eligible next year. Good luck, Jake!

Not surprised. Posted Jake was the logical choice before the year started and also seeing his posture during TOs on the sideline. His depth chart position (minutes) drops even before the season starts. With his dad's connections, he think it out well and expect him to be somewhere out west! Good luck Jake!

Sal was my 2nd choice because less depth at the position(s) he could play. Though watching his limited minutes this season, don't know if he's even a worthy A10 performer getting significant minutes? Has to improve for sure.

If Sal wants to play, might have to transfer to lower level conference. Thought he could possibly be a better backup to GG at the 5, but unfortunately easily got bullied into fouls down low by other centers. No doubt Grace was better choice. Fan of Sal and hope he stays doing a Cayo frosh to soph improvement. Do it Sal!

Wish him the best, hope he does well wherever he winds up.

Is it possible to enter the transfer portal but then decide to stay at your school? Not saying this may happen with Jake but just curious if this happens. Like declaring for the NBA draft without hiring an agent so you can go back if you don’t like what you see.

Yes, you can withdraw your name from the transfer portal and return to your school, provided the school agrees to restore you to the roster.

VT football announced a few months ago a blanket policy to not accept back anyone who enters into the portal, but for most programs I think it’s a case-by-case basis. Not sure how many actually try to return though...likely a very small fraction.

Yes, you can withdraw your name from the transfer portal and return to your school, provided the school agrees to restore you to the roster.

VT football announced a few months ago a blanket policy to not accept back anyone who enters into the portal, but for most programs I think it’s a case-by-case basis. Not sure how many actually try to return though...likely a very small fraction.

May have been pre-portal, but Gonzo.

Yeah, the portal has actually only been around since October 2018. There were obviously required releases and stuff before that, but the portal as an official centralized database is quite new.

Sad to see this. As many know, I wish he would have redshirted this year instead of transferring. His playing time would be limited this year, but he would likely be our main 3 point shooter in 2 years. I could see him getting 6-8 threes a game and averaging double figures after Jacob, Blake, and Nick leave. But, I like Jake and wish him well. Hard to ever fault kids for wanting more playing time.

Sad to see this. As many know, I wish he would have redshirted this year instead of transferring. His playing time would be limited this year, but he would likely be our main 3 point shooter in 2 years. I could see him getting 6-8 threes a game and averaging double figures after Jacob, Blake, and Nick leave. But, I like Jake and wish him well. Hard to ever fault kids for wanting more playing time.
Disagree on this. This is not to disparage Woj because I liked his contributions he made to the team both years. Kid is a hard player and a smart player and I thank him for his contributions as well as applaud his decision to enter the transfer portal. I think we saw this year the type of player that we need to be A-10 level starters and compete for an A-10 championship and NCAA bids and Jake's skill set/athletic ability is not enough to fill that.

I think Jake recognizes that and will take his considerable talents to a lesser mid major conference where he can play an impactful starter type role on a team.

Well I wish Jake well, seems like a good guy and all, but I am going to be in the minority here and say I really don't get it from his standpoint. He's going to sit out next year somewhere and then hopefully he plays a ton the next two years. To do that, he selects a lesser basketball school (and maybe a lesser academic one too). But he could do that here - - - redshirt next year and then have clear line of sight to a major role in the years that follow and he gets to do that with existing teammates (i assume there are no problems there), graduate from a great school (and not lose any credits while transferring etc.) and he keeps open the option of then grad transferring if for some reason the playing time doesn't materialize as he hopes. So what is he really gaining unless he's also worried about playing time in two years??

Again, great kid and wish him well, but not sure I get it??

He's going to sit out next year somewhere and then hopefully he plays a ton the next two years.....But he could do that here - - - redshirt next year and then have clear line of sight to a major role in the years that follow......
Interesting take Philly. Sounds like some ideas that Mooney may end up pitching in the end if he truly sees Woj as a contributor. I think CM was trying really hard to keep Woj happy during the season because he seemed to constantly praise his efforts even though they were minor. Remember entering the portal isn’t a guarantee that the player will leave - just that he wants to look at other options. Of course, there is no guarantee that there is room for the player on the team because the staff can look for other options as well (I think this was what Fuente was telling VT football players by the way).

One other thing to consider is perhaps Woj and his folks want him closer to home. With the University shutdowns and continued uncertainty, I think it can be a factor.

Well I wish Jake well, seems like a good guy and all, but I am going to be in the minority here and say I really don't get it from his standpoint. He's going to sit out next year somewhere and then hopefully he plays a ton the next two years. To do that, he selects a lesser basketball school (and maybe a lesser academic one too). But he could do that here - - - redshirt next year and then have clear line of sight to a major role in the years that follow and he gets to do that with existing teammates (i assume there are no problems there), graduate from a great school (and not lose any credits while transferring etc.) and he keeps open the option of then grad transferring if for some reason the playing time doesn't materialize as he hopes. So what is he really gaining unless he's also worried about playing time in two years??

Again, great kid and wish him well, but not sure I get it??
Perhaps the staff has no interest in redshirting him. Hard to say...

That's possible I guess, but seems unlikely to me. We don't seem to be in a position to have any real concerns about scholarship limits 3 years out and I do think thy probably believe he can be a contributor at least at this level.

Reactions: plydogg

Rumor has it, this happened to our football team a year ago. We were close on a P5 kid in the transfer portal, and he opted to return to his school.

Perhaps the staff has no interest in redshirting him. Hard to say...
Why would we redshirt a guy in his Junior year that was probably our 9th guy off the bench next year? That is terrible roster management and defies logic on why you would redshirt a player.

Don't know if this was Woj's idea and/or Mooney's but whomever it was, it was a good one. We are in a different position now than we when we recruited Woj and should be able to recruit a higher caliber player. Let's hope Mooney does not waste this opportunity to improve our roster.

Any chance you get to improve the roster, you take it, every single time.

yeah, it's a good opportunity for both parties. Jake should be able to find a team where he's a major contributor. I can see him putting up a big year or two shooting over 40% from 3 and averaging double figures.
on our end, it's an opportunity to add a transfer who can slide right into a great situation 18 months from now. win-win

yeah, it's a good opportunity for both parties. Jake should be able to find a team where he's a major contributor. I can see him putting up a big year or two shooting over 40% from 3 and averaging double figures.
on our end, it's an opportunity to add a transfer who can slide right into a great situation 18 months from now. win-win

I agree this could be a win for him if, and there are no guarantees so this is an if, he finds the right spot, but I wouldn't call his loss a win for us. I wish he would redshirt and that team were us 18 months from now. It's an opportunity to add a transfer to slide right in, but what would we hope for with this? For him to shoot 40% from 3 and average double figures? Isn't that what you just said Jake could do? We lose 5 starters after this year, so a transfer would have a great chance to step right in whether Woj is here or not.

We will be without our 3 best outside shooters in18 months. Seems like we could really use Woj and his shooting then, especially if we had 2 more years of it. The 3 point shot is so important, I just hate losing a quality shooter. It is not that easy to just go find good shooters. Even power teams have a hard time finding enough quality 3 point guys. But, I can't fault Woj for entering the portal and seeing what is out there, and I wish him well. He might even get to play this year if some of these waivers get approved.

I agree this could be a win for him if, and there are no guarantees so this is an if, he finds the right spot, but I wouldn't call his loss a win for us. I wish he would redshirt and that team were us 18 months from now. It's an opportunity to add a transfer to slide right in, but what would we hope for with this? For him to shoot 40% from 3 and average double figures? Isn't that what you just said Jake could do? We lose 5 starters after this year, so a transfer would have a great chance to step right in whether Woj is here or not.

We will be without our 3 best outside shooters in18 months. Seems like we could really use Woj and his shooting then, especially if we had 2 more years of it. The 3 point shot is so important, I just hate losing a quality shooter. It is not that easy to just go find good shooters. Even power teams have a hard time finding enough quality 3 point guys. But, I can't fault Woj for entering the portal and seeing what is out there, and I wish him well. He might even get to play this year if some of these waivers get approved.
More to the game than just shooting. Woj is a gamer and had a good shot, when it was on and when he took it. Was an average defender, decent rebounder for his size, lacked the level of athleticism to be really successful as an A-10 player. He will do really well at a lower mid major conference where his athletic abilities will be more on par with the other players on the court.

He was sort of an Adam Mobley type in some ways. I think he had more all-around game than Mobs but he fit that type of role. I do think that the point raised above is a good one – that he'll have to redshirt next year anyway if he transfers, so might as well do it here instead. But the fact that he's not planning to do that indicates to me that he doesn't think his PT will increase much two years from now here.

It would have really surprised me if he would have stayed and not found a lot of playing time in 18 months. As of now, we have Wilson, Andre, Burton, Crabtree, Sal, Grace, and Weir. Not a lot of guards there who can both shoot it and handle it. Hopefully, we add some real good ones to these guys, but I think there would be plenty of PT for a good 3 point shooter with size who can handle the ball pretty good (not point guard level, but can help bringing it up at times), and can hit his FTs at the end of the game.

It would have really surprised me if he would have stayed and not found a lot of playing time in 18 months. As of now, we have Wilson, Andre, Burton, Crabtree, Sal, Grace, and Weir. Not a lot of guards there who can both shoot it and handle it. Hopefully, we add some real good ones to these guys, but I think there would be plenty of PT for a good 3 point shooter with size who can handle the ball pretty good (not point guard level, but can help bringing it up at times), and can hit his FTs at the end of the game.
Agree with your assessment. Lots of playing time and good role in 2-years. I would guess that HE sees Crabtree taking his shooter spot or he would have stayed.

Reactions: VT4700
Agree with your assessment. Lots of playing time and good role in 2-years. I would guess that HE sees Crabtree taking his shooter spot or he would have stayed.

Good point. Maybe this means Crabtree looked real good in practice this year, and is ready to be a huge factor for us.

Good point. Maybe this means Crabtree looked real good in practice this year, and is ready to be a huge factor for us.
Crabtree is a better player but I see Crabtree as more of a 3 versus a 2. His competition was probably more Andre and while Andre is not as good of a shooter as Woj, he is a much better defender, slasher, ball handler. Better athletic abilities than Woj.

I would imagine Jake knew all about this declaring for the NBA thing and decided they were all coming back anyway.

VT, the "win" on our side is if we add a transfer of the level we've had with Cline, Francis and hopefully Crabtree. eventual starting level, perhaps all league level guys. I like Woj a lot but he was a reserve spot up shooter here. you can't think he's irreplaceable if you're talking about redshirting him in his junior season.

Well, sure it's a win if we get another Francis. But, time is running out to get one, and the virus makes it even tougher considering we were at our limit a week ago and could have not even gotten a transfer then if we wanted one. I am not saying he is irreplaceable. I just think Woj would have been a real key piece for us in 18 months. So right now, IMO, it's a loss for us.

you guys are short changing him. He unforunately got caught in the wave. He was thrown into the fire as a freshman and had 24 TURNOVERS basically playing 30+/game and spent 2 games as our Point Guard.

Sherod is not the greatest athlete, but he knows what his shortcomings are and makes sure he works around them.

Jake's problem was quite simple--Blake was significantly better. Last year he "thought about playing" (typical of most freshman) instead of just "playing". He probably had more "just play" in him this year, but its hard to keep Blake off the court. My 2 cents, we don't go 4-2 without Blake w/o Jake. (FYI-he averaged 6+ PPG during that stretch and about 3 Rebounds per game.

If I am his adviser, i would tell him... I think the idea of redshirting is better than transferring--if you have to sit out anyway.

It sounds like the staff loved his work ethic (something that can't be taught).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT