ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Transfer

I wonder if there are any other guys like Duncan Robinson out there. What a story he was.

I wonder if there are any other guys like Duncan Robinson out there. What a story he was.
Yes he was. If you are going to try to find another guy like him, I think you need to hire a full time D3 scout. Probably akin to looking for a needle in a haystack. Now there are many a potential low to mid D1 level player in D3, but not many Michigan level players.

Without revealing too much from my insider, the potential grad transfer people might be referring doesn’t appear to be more than a role player.

Trying not to be too negative but he comes from a lower level conference and wasn’t a starter. Looks like a good shooter, academics not an issue, but does not appear to be very athletic and when you are not a starter as a Sr playing in that conference then we shouldn’t expect much.
This is good stuff, thanks again for the information. The initial intel Fan1 shared was "sought after". Do you know if the schools in the mix are A10 level, or P6 conferences, or other? Just trying to get a feel for the competition.

scrolling through the available grad transfers on verbalcommits, there are very few that look like impact players. most look like guys with no chance of contributing. the few good ones have high major interest. so I'm not optimistic we're finding help here. I think we're going to battle with what we've got.

scrolling through the available grad transfers on verbalcommits, there are very few that look like impact players. most look like guys with no chance of contributing. the few good ones have high major interest. so I'm not optimistic we're finding help here. I think we're going to battle with what we've got.
Yes, after a couple of recent grad transfer commits a lot of the basketball writers I follow seem to indicate there are not many if any impact transfers left. So like Bryce Golden and the Columbia transfer (both of which I counted as "help now" type of players) I will remain hopeful this comes through, but not holding my breath.

Yes I would. Expecting a grad transfer that can actually start on a competitive team at this level is a very high bar. There are maybe 10 a year, and they all go to P5 + BE schools. Having a grad transfer that would be a better 6th man than anyone we had last year would be a huge boost to the team. Quality depth is something we have been missing.

I would look at more than just his raw numbers 97. His shooting percentages, rebounds per minute, etc. are all very high. He would actually have the highest career 2FG% and 3FG% on our team if he joined, and its not like he only took a few shots. He would be 2nd in rebounds per minute and steals per minute, 3rd in assists per minute on the team. The guy is no slouch and would get playing time and really help the team out, and could possibly even start. It is important to remember that even though he is being forced to grad transfer by the Ivy league, he was essentially just a sophomore basketball-wise last year. He had a good year for a sophomore.
2011, this is a sound argument. Not saying, I concur completely but I agree he would help our team depth wise and that is an area that really hurt us badly last year.

If it is a guy like Noah Yates from Yale I would be very happy. Extremely efficient scorer, good rebounder, who can provide ~15 quality bench minutes per game without a huge talent drop off. A player like that would work very, very well in Mooney's system. 5-6 points, 3 rebounds and an assist in ~15 minutes per game, very good.

Walk-on thrives in senior season

WON JUNG & STEVEN ROME FEB 27, 2018

STAFF REPORTERS

1_mbball_yates-online-yale-athletics.jpg

Yale Athletics

It began in an airport down in Savannah, Georgia.

Noah Yates ’18 was a sophomore, heading home to New Jersey after a spring break trip to Hilton Head. As he waited for his flight, Yates watched his school make history on his laptop: for the first time ever, the Yale men’s basketball team won a game in the NCAA Tournament, upsetting No. 5 Baylor.

Yates was a member of the football team at the time, rehabilitating from an elbow injury that had plagued him since high school, and he — like other Bulldog fans across the country — was captivated. But his next decision separated him from the rest of the Eli faithful, changing the trajectory of his college career.

“I had some thoughts that I would be [done] playing football, and then I watched the basketball team in the tournament,” Yates said. “I was just like, ‘wow, that’s something special. I’d love to be a part of that.’ It was all speculation at that point. It was just a thought, maybe more of a dream than anything.”

Nearly two years later, Yates has realized that dream, and then some. Last Friday night, he was on the floor in the fraught final minutes of the Elis’ back-and-forth tilt with Cornell. Never one to lack confidence in his outside shot, the walk-on calmly drained a 3-pointer with 20 seconds left to deliver a key victory: nudging the Blue one step closer to the postseason environment that first caught his attention.

This time, when Yale students return home for spring break, Yates and his teammates will head to Philadelphia, with a March Madness bid on the line. ESPN will broadcast the Ivy League Tournament, and Yates will be in the game — not watching from a laptop screen 700 miles away.

“He got hurt as a football player and was not able to get as strong as he would need to be [in order] to be an effective football player,” head coach James Jones said. “He spent the better part of his sophomore summer [focusing] on playing basketball. He befriended a bunch of the guys on the team, and, as it so happened, we had a bunch of injuries two years ago, so we had the opportunity for a practice guy.”

Still, Jones made one thing clear to the tight-end-turned-basketball-player: Do not even think about playing in a game.

Yates was undeterred; his path had never been conventional.

As late as the summer before his junior year of high school, Yates had neither basketball nor football on his mind. It was baseball that consumed his thoughts. Although he played all three sports in high school, America’s pastime was his primary sport for most of his life, and several baseball programs wanted the three-sport athlete at the collegiate level.

But an injury to Yates’ right elbow slowed down his recruiting process during his all-important junior-year season, and he found himself on the gridiron in New Haven just two years later. Even then, the New Jersey native planned to play out his four years at Yale as a tight end, but two more injuries to the same elbow changed his future prospects.

Heading into his first year with the basketball team, the coaching staff preached hard work. In his junior year, Yates played in 11 games for a total of 60 minutes, accruing 13 shot attempts along the way.

“We didn’t know how he’d fit in in terms of playing time, but we definitely knew that he would be able to help us in practice,” guard Trey Phills ’19 said. “He just came ready to work every day and really took advantage of his opportunity. He practiced well all last year, but wasn’t rewarded with minutes, so to speak.”

As his senior season began, however, the Bulldogs were dealt a major blow: Forward Jordan Bruner ’20 — who turned down Clemson to play at Yale — was out for the season with a torn meniscus. Second-Team All-Ivy forward Sam Downey ’17 had graduated, and Jones was forced to start a first year, Paul Atkinson ’21, in the frontcourt.

Enter Yates.

In his first major action as a Bulldog, Yates played 21 minutes against Creighton and 25 at Wisconsin, two high-major teams that typically contend in the NCAA Tournament. He shot 7–11 in those games, knocking down a triple in each. He has appeared in every game since and played fewer than 10 minutes in only two contests.

Given the team’s lack of size, Yates factors crucially into Yale’s defensive schemes. Although undersized for the power-forward spot at 6-foot-6, the former walk-on is able to use a unique blend of football toughness and basketball IQ to defend his position, Jones said.

Still, Yates’ larger impact may come on the offensive end. His 3-point shot has proven to be a weapon all season, and with 30 makes on 79 attempts from downtown, the senior has helped with the Elis’ offensive spacing. Three of those makes from distance came in the Cornell game last Friday, when he scored a career-high 17 points.

“He developed a role as a perimeter four-man for us,” Jones said. “He shoots the ball very well and has a lot of confidence in his shot, and he takes advantage of those opportunities when they come his way. Guys like [Miye Oni ’20] make sure [they find Yates] when he’s spotting up, and he’s been able to knock down some key shots for us over the past couple years.”

This weekend, Yates will play the final home game of his unique Yale basketball career. In front of what is sure to be a packed Senior Night crowd, a dream that began in a Savannah airport two years ago will culminate as Yates is celebrated for his brief but significant time with Yale basketball.

Yates will join guard Makai Mason ’18 and forward Eric Anderson ’18 on Senior Night as graduating members of the class of 2018.

“It was definitely tough [to walk away from the football team], but once I earned a spot on the basketball team, I don’t think I’ve really turned back,” Yates said. “I’m fully into it, and I love it. I feel like I’ve been playing for four years, but it’s only been two. It’s just been a great experience, and I can’t say enough about the coaches and my teammates and the whole program.”

Played in golf 4some with Yale basketball coach Jones yesterday in New
Haven.Supposedly this kid has drawn interest from UR and has visited.

Last edited:
You know your roster management is bad when even the Truthers are salivating at the prospect of a Yale walk-on to be our starting shooting guard next year.

Spiders hoops gets commitment from Yale graduate transfer

5af9ca333586b.image.jpg

University of Richmond commitment Noah Yates, who's 6-5, played 17 minutes a game last season at Yale.

YALE ATHLETICS

The University of Richmond completed its basketball roster Monday by receiving a commitment from 6-foot-5 Noah Yates, who played the last two seasons at Yale and will join the Spiders’ program as a graduate transfer.

He is expected to have two seasons of eligibility remaining, once his uncommon background is examined by the NCAA.

Yates spent four years at Yale and graduated. College graduates are prohibited from playing at Ivy League schools. Yates, who’s from Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., was recruited to play football at Yale. Yates, a tight end, spent one season on the school’s JV football team and early the next season suffered a serious elbow injury. That injury influenced Yates' decision to stop playing football, and start playing basketball.

As a junior in 2016-17, Yates played in 10 games for Yale basketball. He emerged as a regular rotation member last season, averaging 17 minutes and 5.4 points. Yates converted 38 percent of his 3-point attempts. Eighty-nine of his 120 field-goal attempts came from 3-point distance.

Yates becomes the sixth incoming player for the Spiders this season, the second incoming transfer. Blake Francis, a 6-0 guard, switched from Wagner to UR in April. He will sit out this season, per NCAA rules, and have two seasons as a Spider.

Richmond’s freshmen this season are 6-9 Matt Grace, 6-4 Jake Wojcik, 6-8 Souleymane Koureissi, and 6-4 Andre Gustavson.

When Yates signs, he will be the 13th Spider on scholarship, and 13 is the NCAA Division I maximum. Of those 13, five have played for Richmond in a game: 6-10 Grant Golden, 6-4 Nick Sherod, 5-9 Jacob Gilyard, 6-7 Nathan Cayo, and 6-3 Julius Johnson.

Reactions: plydogg
Two years of eligibility left correct?
Good question, 32. He is a grad transfer but only played 2 years of hoops at Yale.

This is a solid pick-up for us. Pencil this guy in as our starter at the 2. He is not exactly Buck (OK, he is not anywhere close to Buck) but I like his make-up and leadership skills.

Both prediction: Yates will score more than 4 times are last two grad transfers combined.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Spiders hoops gets commitment from Yale graduate transfer

5af9ca333586b.image.jpg

University of Richmond commitment Noah Yates, who's 6-5, played 17 minutes a game last season at Yale.

YALE ATHLETICS

The University of Richmond completed its basketball roster Monday by receiving a commitment from 6-foot-5 Noah Yates, who played the last two seasons at Yale and will join the Spiders’ program as a graduate transfer.

He is expected to have two seasons of eligibility remaining, once his uncommon background is examined by the NCAA.

Yates spent four years at Yale and graduated. College graduates are prohibited from playing at Ivy League schools. Yates, who’s from Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., was recruited to play football at Yale. Yates, a tight end, spent one season on the school’s JV football team and early the next season suffered a serious elbow injury. That injury influenced Yates' decision to stop playing football, and start playing basketball.

As a junior in 2016-17, Yates played in 10 games for Yale basketball. He emerged as a regular rotation member last season, averaging 17 minutes and 5.4 points. Yates converted 38 percent of his 3-point attempts. Eighty-nine of his 120 field-goal attempts came from 3-point distance.

Yates becomes the sixth incoming player for the Spiders this season, the second incoming transfer. Blake Francis, a 6-0 guard, switched from Wagner to UR in April. He will sit out this season, per NCAA rules, and have two seasons as a Spider.

Richmond’s freshmen this season are 6-9 Matt Grace, 6-4 Jake Wojcik, 6-8 Souleymane Koureissi, and 6-4 Andre Gustavson.

When Yates signs, he will be the 13th Spider on scholarship, and 13 is the NCAA Division I maximum. Of those 13, five have played for Richmond in a game: 6-10 Grant Golden, 6-4 Nick Sherod, 5-9 Jacob Gilyard, 6-7 Nathan Cayo, and 6-3 Julius Johnson.
THIS IS GREAT!

Good question, 32. He is a grad transfer but only played 2 years of hoops at Yale.

This is a solid pick-up for us. Pencil this guy in as our starter at the 2. He is not exactly Buck (OK, he is not anywhere close to Buck) but I like his make-up and leadership skills.

Both prediction: Yates will score more than 4 times are last two grad transfers combined.
Asked and answered by JOC.

Reactions: SpiderHoops32

wait, what??? pencil him in as a starter??? why? because he's older?

come on. he can compete but there's no reason to be sure he's even in the rotation right now much less a starter.

He was listed as 6'6" and is a former tight end while on football scholarship at Yale. Should provide some needed toughness and leadership to this young team. Just a great addition. Roll Spide! Roll Coach Mooney!

Reactions: VT4700 and plydogg
With possibly 2 years of eligibility - would he be able to play this coming year?

Yates may turn out to be a good one and I certainly hope he is.... However, in general I get the feeling CM is just bringing in players hoping someone will turn his program around for him.

We went 12-20 with a young team now we have 5 players with game experience???

Reactions: PASpider
Noah was/is a pretty good athlete based on high school career (much like I-M-UR!):
At Pt. Pleasant Beach: Eight-time letter winner between football (2), baseball (3), and basketball (3)… Led New Jersey in interceptions (9) for 2013… First-team all-state… New Jersey Super 100… Group 1 state champion… All-conference in baseball… Player of the year for division… State champion in basketball… All-division… National Honor Society…

Two years makes Yates an even better get. I really like his offensive skillset, he is a huge threat from 3 and will be the most developed player on the team offensively outside the 3 returning starters. Big question is how he fits in defensively. I think he is going to be Sherod's backup at the 3 and play some at the 4 as well. Depends on how Cayo, redshirts and newcomers develop.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700 and plydogg
With possibly 2 years of eligibility - would he be able to play this coming year?
He can definitely play this year. The question is whether he would have a second year after that. Seems likely.

Two years makes this a much better get. I really like his offensive skillset. I think he is going to be Sherod's backup at the 3 and play spot minutes at the 4 as well.
he's Hovde, no?
he can compete with Verbinskis and Schneider to back up Sherod at the 3.
if he's getting time at the 4 then I'm not happy with where Cayo and Sal are.
and while he shot well, nothing in his highlights tell me he's an A10 2 guard.

I like this addition and I really like the 13 man roster we have right now. No team ever plays 13 guys, but whichever 8 or 9 we put out in the rotation this year should all be good fits and be able to hold their own in the A-10 this year.

he's Hovde, no?
he can compete with Verbinskis and Schneider to back up Sherod at the 3.
if he's getting time at the 4 then I'm not happy with where Cayo and Sal are.
and while he shot well, nothing in his highlights tell me he's an A10 2 guard.

We will see, Yates very well could be Hovde. I prefer to be a little more optimistic though, his stat line is better than Hovde's.

There are 80 minutes per game at the 4/5. Grant will get 32 of them, which leaves 48 for Cayo and Sal. I could see ~5 minutes here or there at the 4 for Yates, especially if one of Cayo, Sal or Grant gets in foul trouble.

Reactions: VT4700
wait, what??? pencil him in as a starter??? why? because he's older?

come on. he can compete but there's no reason to be sure he's even in the rotation right now much less a starter.
Because we have no one has played a college game yet as our starting 2 guard. If this kid can handle the rock a bit, that makes him our number one option.

Who else are we starting at the 2 guard? Our 2 lightly recruited freshman? JJ who we've seen pretty conclusively that he is not an A-10 starting caliber player?

I am going to temper my expectations. He played limited minutes at Yale. 5 mpg (and only got minutes in blowouts - - a total of 60 minutes) as a Junior. 17 minutes as a senior that he only got because Yale had injuries. Yale started a freshman over him when injuries forced a change to their plans.

He'll be better then Khwesi and JMA I will agree, but don't see that he'll be that much better than some of the internal (and not that exciting) options! He's an 8th - 9th man piece and I would hope we have some guys who could be that?

Because we have no one has played a college game yet as our starting 2 guard. If this kid can handle the rock a bit, that makes him our number one option.

Who else are we starting at the 2 guard? Our 2 lightly recruited freshman? JJ who we've seen pretty conclusively that he is not an A-10 starting caliber player?
uh, he's not a guard. he's never played guard. he played undersized stretch 4. but because he can shoot you want him to start at the 2? even though he was a role player off the bench at Yale?

I like this addition and I really like the 13 man roster we have right now. No team ever plays 13 guys, but whichever 8 or 9 we put out in the rotation this year should all be good fits and be able to hold their own in the A-10 this year.
I think the additions are fine if unspectacular, and I don't intend that negatively. They feel ok. Two pluses are that we are getting bigger than we were replacing KF/DMB and they seem like they are potentially better shooters.

I'm not convinced that we have 8-9 guys who will be ready to hold their own in November. I think it may be another half-season until we're ready scenario.

uh, he's not a guard. he's never played guard. he played undersized stretch 4. but because he can shoot you want him to start at the 2? even though he was a role player off the bench at Yale?
Yes, look at our roster. Who are you starting at the 2 guard??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT