ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Transfer

I like this addition and I really like the 13 man roster we have right now. No team ever plays 13 guys, but whichever 8 or 9 we put out in the rotation this year should all be good fits and be able to hold their own in the A-10 this year.
Of course you do. Mooney could take a crap in your shoes and you would walk around all day commenting on how great your feet smell.

Per the Yale coach on Friday he never started at Yale,he’s likely the 6-7 man for us.
Kansas was interested too but he’d never would have played there.

You guys are already having the debate that I was wondering about. I thought he was a stretch 4 type at Yale? I could be wrong about that. He does seem to have the skill set (shooting/passing) to play a big guard/wing position. I was thinking the same thing as 97 - maybe we can plug this guy right in a the 2 guard, but really don't know if he can dribble vs pressure, or guard a quick guard. I do think on this roster he can contribute.
We have had some pretty darn good 6'5 power forward types (see Kenny Wood, Terry Connolly). Not many minutes at 3 with Sherod. With our roster, I do see Yates playing 20+ minutes. I have much more faith in in him than Gustavson and Wojcik at this point in time, as even with his limited time - he has done it at the D1 level.

I thought part of the grad transfer rule stated you had to transfer to a school and enroll in a Grad program that was not available at your current school. Does Yale not have an MBA in Finance???

And please - lets step on the brakes a little bit with this kid I think at best he is a kid that normally would be a good bench player for us - as mentioned, maybe giving 10-15 minutes off the bench. But because of our roster issues - this kid might be asked to start and maybe play 25+ minutes. Either you believe the kid is really that good or we are really that bad. Truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: gospidersgo
...maybe we can plug this guy right in a the 2 guard, but really don't know if he can dribble vs pressure, or guard a quick guard...
Yates was a stretch 4 in a very brief playing career off the bench at Yale.
I can't even comprehend that some here are suggesting he should do the things mentioned above at an acceptable A10 level as a starter. I clearly think we have a lot more talent on our roster than some of you do.

He started two games.

He was a starter! I think you have to compare this guy to other grad transfers coming into the A10. I think the only other grad transfer is Gilmore back to VCU. Not sure how much better of a get he is than Yates.

I can't even comprehend that some here are suggesting he should do the things mentioned above at an acceptable A10 level as a starter. I clearly think we have a lot more talent on our roster than some of you do.
Sman, what is this, upside down Monday? :) The FMM is saying this guy is a starter for us, while the truthers are saying he is deep bench depth. We need to reconvene and get our stories straight.
Truthers: This guy is going to start and score 12 ppg and shoot 40% from 3 from Day 1. Year 2 an all A10 player.
FMM: This guy is another shot in the dark, did not start in an inferior league. May get 5 minutes per game.

I thought part of the grad transfer rule stated you had to transfer to a school and enroll in a Grad program that was not available at your current school. Does Yale not have an MBA in Finance???
There's a combination of unusual factors in this case, and I'm not sure exactly what might contribute toward allowing him to be immediately eligible. The most obvious is that the school/league won't permit him to participate next year. He also is not a scholarship athlete, and may fall under some "nonrecruited" categorization considering he started out playing football and only joined the basketball team later.

It may not be addressed directly in the rules, but feel like this is a pretty straightforward waiver situation. Pretty sure it's standard practice to let Ivy grads be immediately eligible no matter what since they can't play there as grad students.

Reactions: plydogg

And please - lets step on the brakes a little bit with this kid I think at best he is a kid that normally would be a good bench player for us - as mentioned, maybe giving 10-15 minutes off the bench. But because of our roster issues - this kid might be asked to start and maybe play 25+ minutes. Either you believe the kid is really that good or we are really that bad. Truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I think if he is a guy that might be a good bench player and give us 10-15 minutes off the bench this year, that would mean this a great pick up for us. Isn't that a good thing to add someone like that, especially in mid May?

Stretch 4 is a stretch.Lots of stretches on the basketball board.

it's bizarro Monday, 23!
if we want to start a good shooting non-guard at the 2, just start Sherod there.
I guess it's possible we're so confident in Gilyard handling that we don't need a 2nd handler. but that would be a big philosophical change. I'm betting against it.

Reactions: gospidersgo
it's bizarro Monday, 23!
if we want to start a good shooting non-guard at the 2, just start Sherod there.
I guess it's possible we're so confident in Gilyard handling that we don't need a 2nd handler. but that would be a big philosophical change. I'm betting against it.
Yes, I do agree with you there. I think Sherod is a very good basketball player, but not really a guard - he is a forward better served not wasting his energy chasing and bringing the ball up vs. speedy guards. Needs that energy for putting the ball in the basket.

it's bizarro Monday, 23!

Why worry about the "2"? The days of 1,2,3,4, and 5 positioning for basketball are long gone. You usually need a true PG, or "1" to be successful and we have that. Along with that, you want shooters, size, and good fits.

Why worry about the "2"? The days of 1,2,3,4, and 5 positioning for basketball are long gone. You usually need a true PG, or "1" to be successful and we have that. Along with that, you want shooters, size, and good fits.
in 13 years, I can't think of Mooney not playing 2 capable ball handlers.
maybe 2 is the wrong term, but need a 2nd true guard. Yates is a wing. Sherod is a wing. Verbinskis is a wing.
guys that I believe have the ability to play guard (though not lead guard):
JJ, Wojcik, and probably Schneider
guys that I believe have the ability to play guard AND some lead guard):
Gustavson, Francis the following year, and maybe Schneider

maybe 2 is the wrong term, but need a 2nd true guard. Yates is a wing. Sherod is a wing. Verbinskis is a wing.
No, you need 2 guards. Since we don't have a 2nd capable guard though 4700 says we don't need one because that would reflect bad on his boss.

I hear you, but these guys play hoops year round, and most are capable of handling the ball a little if needed.

Reactions: plydogg
I hear you, but these guys play hoops year round, and most are capable of handling the ball a little if needed.
The positionless basketball theory has proven to be a bit of a disaster for UR over the past several years. We have had guys who are really ineffective on defense as a function of it, so you do have to consider traditional positioning still in my view.

And I do agree with s-man, I don't know that you can presume that any guy we plug in can be a primary/secondary ballhandler. If "all" of these guys are year round hoops players and expected to handle the ball, we would have seen Kwesi bringing the rock up the floor at times. Yikes.

I doubt Mooney will be comfortable enough with his grasp of the defense in time for him to be starting anywhere in November. Mid-January may be a different story.

And yes, that frustrates me also that we have a defense that is too difficult to grasp that it takes a year of practice before Mooney is comfortable with you.

The Yale transfer sounds like a nice kid. Will graduate from Yale; so Admissions won't be able to have a Picky Party to deny him acceptance to UR. As far as his basketball skills, ask me about those once we have completed the out-of-conference schedule and four or our A10 games. Then I will be willing to comment on his basketball skills. Now that I am old, I know better than to try and predict how good a transfer is in the month of May. You guys can argue all you want. Knock yourselves out.

The positionless basketball theory has proven to be a bit of a disaster for UR over the past several years. We have had guys who are really ineffective on defense as a function of it, so you do have to consider traditional positioning still in my view.

And I do agree with s-man, I don't know that you can presume that any guy we plug in can be a primary/secondary ballhandler. If "all" of these guys are year round hoops players and expected to handle the ball, we would have seen Kwesi bringing the rock up the floor at times. Yikes.

But, has every year really been a disaster? You can call it a disappointment for not making the tourney, but a disaster? Being the first team out 4 seasons ago and having a 13-5 A-10 record just 2 seasons ago is a disaster? Call last year a disaster, and maybe the senior season of DT and TD, but certainly not "the past several years". It is not that hard to figure out why those 2 seasons were a disaster, and it was not a lack of ball handling. We had too many non shooters on the floor that defenses did not have to ever worry about. Combine that with a lack of size like last year, and you have no chance. Looks like we have addressed these issues and I am excited and optimistic about next year.

Anyway, if you read my post again, included what you copied and pasted, you will see where I said "most" are capable of handling the ball a little. I never said all and I would never expect Kwesi to bring it up a few times.

You guys are already having the debate that I was wondering about. I thought he was a stretch 4 type at Yale? I could be wrong about that. He does seem to have the skill set (shooting/passing) to play a big guard/wing position. I was thinking the same thing as 97 - maybe we can plug this guy right in a the 2 guard, but really don't know if he can dribble vs pressure, or guard a quick guard. I do think on this roster he can contribute.
We have had some pretty darn good 6'5 power forward types (see Kenny Wood, Terry Connolly). Not many minutes at 3 with Sherod. With our roster, I do see Yates playing 20+ minutes. I have much more faith in in him than Gustavson and Wojcik at this point in time, as even with his limited time - he has done it at the D1 level.
Dont forget Pete Woolfork.

Reactions: urfan1
Stretch 4 is a stretch.Lots of stretches on the basketball board.

Any insight from your golf partner on what we should expect? I assume Yates chose Richmond because he thinks he will get a decent amount of playing time here?

But, has every year really been a disaster? You can call it a disappointment for not making the tourney, but a disaster? Being the first team out 4 seasons ago and having a 13-5 A-10 record just 2 seasons ago is a disaster? Call last year a disaster, and maybe the senior season of DT and TD, but certainly not "the past several years". It is not that hard to figure out why those 2 seasons were a disaster, and it was not a lack of ball handling. We had too many non shooters on the floor that defenses did not have to ever worry about. Combine that with a lack of size like last year, and you have no chance. Looks like we have addressed these issues and I am excited and optimistic about next year.

Anyway, if you read my post again, included what you copied and pasted, you will see where I said "most" are capable of handling the ball a little. I never said all and I would never expect Kwesi to bring it up a few times.
Hey, if you feel good that we have a second ballhandler in there, then I guess it must be so. There isn’t a single guy that we have seen in a game yet who would qualify though, so I’ll remain less convinced.

And you’re correct, I erred in reading where you said most. I will disagree with “most.”

Disaster is certainly hyperbole. Perhaps it’s been a “disaster two of the last three seasons.” It’s tough to defend that we play any kind of redeemable positionless system with the relatively poor 3-pt shooting and individual defensive skills we exhibit.

Hey, if you feel good that we have a second ballhandler in there, then I guess it must be so. There isn’t a single guy that we have seen in a game yet who would qualify though, so I’ll remain less convinced.

And you’re correct, I erred in reading where you said most. I will disagree with “most.”

Disaster is certainly hyperbole. Perhaps it’s been a “disaster two of the last three seasons.” It’s tough to defend that we play any kind of redeemable positionless system with the relatively poor 3-pt shooting and individual defensive skills we exhibit.

The problem with our positionless basketball has been the players were 6’4” and under and not all great shooters. That makes it tough to role out that lineup.

With better length and better shooting, positionless basketball is definitely the wave of the future (or now). But we’ve been trying to play it with players that didn’t fit that style, which led to our struggles last year.

Hopefully the new blood brought in will help improve both the length and shooting in our lineups.

Reactions: VT4700
I believe we can easily guess 3 players that will play significant minutes this next season. The real dog fight will be who will be the next 5 out of the remaining 10 players.

Reactions: KWeaver
I like this guy as a pickup. He’s solid. If he can contribute more than any of our other grad transfers, we will be on a positive trajectory.

I feel like our backup PG is going to be Schneider because I don’t think we have anyone else. I hope he has put on the freshman 15 and then some.

I think if he is a guy that might be a good bench player and give us 10-15 minutes off the bench this year, that would mean this a great pick up for us. Isn't that a good thing to add someone like that, especially in mid May?
VT - I would agree 100% with what your saying and would feel a lot better about this pickup if we still had Buckingham and Fore. Then your right - this guy would be a nice one off the bench for 10-15 minutes and not expect too much from him. But with our roster so thin - I worry we will now need him for more than that and we are hoping/praying that this kid can do more at UR and the A10 than he was able to do in Yale and the Ivy League. And do it right away.

Reactions: KWeaver and iSpider
VT - I would agree 100% with what your saying and would feel a lot better about this pickup if we still had Buckingham and Fore. Then your right - this guy would be a nice one off the bench for 10-15 minutes and not expect too much from him. But with our roster so thin - I worry we will now need him for more than that and we are hoping/praying that this kid can do more at UR and the A10 than he was able to do in Yale and the Ivy League. And do it right away.

We have Jacob, Nick, and Grant. All 3 should be even better this year than last year, and all 3 are as good as anyone in the A-10. We don't need Yates or anyone else to be even close to an all A-10 player to be successful. Same if Buck and Khwan were still here. We would not need them to play at a high level this year to be successful, so that is why I think we can still have a really good year without them.

Mr VT what do you think for our style of defense ? What did you think of Duinker?

Anyone have an idea what happened with his twitter account?

We have Jacob, Nick, and Grant. All 3 should be even better this year than last year, and all 3 are as good as anyone in the A-10. We don't need Yates or anyone else to be even close to an all A-10 player to be successful. Same if Buck and Khwan were still here. We would not need them to play at a high level this year to be successful, so that is why I think we can still have a really good year without them.

I completely agree - with 60% of next year's All-Conference First Team on our roster, we can't lose!

I completely agree - with 60% of next year's All-Conference First Team on our roster, we can't lose!

I am not saying they will all make 1st team all A-10. How many teams ever get 3 guys on that? What I am saying is they will be as good as anyone in the A-10 this season.

Only 5 returning guys in the A-10 scored more ppg than Grant last year, only 6 scored more than Nick, and Jacob is as good as any PG in our conference. So, I stand by what I said and I like our chances this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT