ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Transfer

Lot of good transfers pre Mooney. Fleming (uconn), Rodney Rice (BC), Terry Connoly (somewhere), Jeff Butler (somewhere), Milton Bell (Georgetown).
I would scratch Milton. He never really saw the floor.

I would scratch Milton. He never really saw the floor.
He never saw the floor at all, right? He was before my time, but as I recall he showed up at UR mid-semester and had to enroll in Continuing Studies (University College) for the remainder of that semester before enrolling full-time. He then had to sit a year under transfer rules, but before that was up he was academically disqualified by UR.

Damn you people! Jason McKinney! He impacted the floor when he tackled people from behind.

Gary Rich from Ohio State was one if not the best enforcer we ever had - could foul out in a little over 5 minutes - 7 feet and 320 pounds - may be the only former Spider basketball player to become a professional wrestler - had quite an impact.................

He never saw the floor at all, right? He was before my time, but as I recall he showed up at UR mid-semester and had to enroll in Continuing Studies (University College) for the remainder of that semester before enrolling full-time. He then had to sit a year under transfer rules, but before that was up he was academically disqualified by UR.
Milton Bell was a heck of a High School super star in Richmond in a top conference and at 6'7 would have added some
firepower for the Spiders.

Sounds about right. His first week on campus, he had an infamous interview with the Collegian. He was quoted as saying that he came to Richmond from Georgetown for the easy academics. Never played in a game. Point was that Tarrant was constantly on the prowl for superior talent.

If you ever took a charge from him, I feel your opinion of his “impact” would change...
lol. yes ... large dude. I'd play basketball with him. Couldn't pay me to get in the ring with him, though.

Without revealing too much from my insider, the potential grad transfer people might be referring doesn’t appear to be more than a role player.

Trying not to be too negative but he comes from a lower level conference and wasn’t a starter. Looks like a good shooter, academics not an issue, but does not appear to be very athletic and when you are not a starter as a Sr playing in that conference then we shouldn’t expect much.

Without revealing too much from my insider, the potential grad transfer people might be referring doesn’t appear to be more than a role player.

Trying not to be too negative but he comes from a lower level conference and wasn’t a starter. Looks like a good shooter, academics not an issue, but does not appear to be very athletic and when you are not a starter as a Sr playing in that conference then we shouldn’t expect much.

What position does he play? Did his team play in the post season (NCAAs or NIT)? Did he play starter minutes (20+ per game)?

Shocking. Ha, ha.

Thank you for this information, I was asking but no one was telling. Good stuff. Sounds like an experienced Wojcik type possibly?

Wasn't Tom Bethea a transfer?

I used to play pick-up hoops with Milton Bell at the Northside American Family Fitness. He was a nice guy, went to HS at John Marshall.

If it is a guy like Noah Yates from Yale I would be very happy. Extremely efficient scorer, good rebounder, who can provide ~15 quality bench minutes per game without a huge talent drop off. A player like that would work very, very well in Mooney's system. 5-6 points, 3 rebounds and an assist in ~15 minutes per game, very good.

Reactions: SpiderVol
If it is a guy like Noah Yates from Yale I would be very happy. Extremely efficient scorer, good rebounder, who can provide ~15 quality bench minutes per game without a huge talent drop off. A player like that would work very, very well in Mooney's system.

good story.
I was hoping Cheddi Mosely myself.

good story.
I was hoping Cheddi Mosely myself.

Cheddi is a good player and was actually a starter his freshmen, sophomore and junior years so he is probably not who SpiderVol was talking about. However he didn't play most of his junior year and only 2 games his senior year due to team rule violations and an injury. Probably not a road we would want to go down right now.

Cheddi is a good player and was actually a starter his freshmen, sophomore and junior years so he is probably not who SpiderVol was talking about. However he didn't play most of his junior year and only 2 games his senior year due to team rule violations and an injury. Probably not a road we would want to go down right now.
ah. didn't know that. and agreed.

An Ivy leaguer would be good, get a kid smart enough to learn mooneys system in less than a year and a half.

Reactions: coachfezz
If it is a guy like Noah Yates from Yale I would be very happy. Extremely efficient scorer, good rebounder, who can provide ~15 quality bench minutes per game without a huge talent drop off. A player like that would work very, very well in Mooney's system. 5-6 points, 3 rebounds and an assist in ~15 minutes per game, very good.
You would be happy with our final scholarship being a guy who was a role player and averaged 5 points per game in the Ivy league. Huge athletic difference between A-10 and Ivy league ball, if this kid wasn't much of a player in the Ivy league, he will be less so in the A-10.

Admittedly, it is a good story and he seems like a great kid and very likeable. Not sure how much he will help us win on the court though.

You would be happy with our final scholarship being a guy who was a role player and averaged 5 points per game in the Ivy league. Huge athletic difference between A-10 and Ivy league ball, if this kid wasn't much of a player in the Ivy league, he will be less so in the A-10.

Admittedly, it is a good story and he seems like a great kid and very likeable. Not sure how much he will help us win on the court though.

Yes I would. Expecting a grad transfer that can actually start on a competitive team at this level is a very high bar. There are maybe 10 a year, and they all go to P5 + BE schools. Having a grad transfer that would be a better 6th man than anyone we had last year would be a huge boost to the team. Quality depth is something we have been missing.

I would look at more than just his raw numbers 97. His shooting percentages, rebounds per minute, etc. are all very high. He would actually have the highest career 2FG% and 3FG% on our team if he joined, and its not like he only took a few shots. He would be 2nd in rebounds per minute and steals per minute, 3rd in assists per minute on the team. The guy is no slouch and would get playing time and really help the team out, and could possibly even start. It is important to remember that even though he is being forced to grad transfer by the Ivy league, he was essentially just a sophomore basketball-wise last year. He had a good year for a sophomore.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT