ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Collective NIL

Utter insanity to think there is any chance of the university taking $100 million or whatever in endowment funds that are already allocated elsewhere and putting them toward NIL.
Plus I very much doubt that new donations to the school that could in theory get routed to players as NIL will ever be tax deductible like current UR donations

Plus I very much doubt that new donations to the school that could in theory get routed to players as NIL will ever be tax deductible like current UR donations

Actually I thought I heard that was one of the potential benefits of the new law. That it now would be tax deductible again vs. not with collectives. Idk the tax lawyers will get paid now too.

I don’t think designed to take from any endowments guess we’ll see. The big schools could siphon off % from ticket sales tho. Big advantage we don’t have.

The crux of it at least initially was to eliminate the vacuum. Yes schools were directing their collectives even tho not supposed to but now it would be legal for school to say how $ distributed.

Mooney can’t play dumb about what goes on now.

Actually I thought I heard that was one of the potential benefits of the new law. That it now would be tax deductible again vs. not with collectives. Idk the tax lawyers will get paid now too.

I don’t think designed to take from any endowments guess we’ll see. The big schools could siphon off % from ticket sales tho. Big advantage we don’t have.

The crux of it at least initially was to eliminate the vacuum. Yes schools were directing their collectives even tho not supposed to but now it would be legal for school to say how $ distributed.

Mooney can’t play dumb about what goes on now.
Hmmm very interesting … would be happy if that turns out to be the case but seems crazy odd to send a check to essentially pay player Jimmy since he is going to be so good for the Spiders and get a tax write off

Hmmm very interesting … would be happy if that turns out to be the case but seems crazy odd to send a check to essentially pay player Jimmy since he is going to be so good for the Spiders and get a tax write off

I agree a little odd & don't take as gospel either. Just what I've heard early stages. also of course u could still allocate dollars specifically not to be used for NIL. But it's kinda like the general Spider athletic fund or UR school general fund is now. There r funds for specific things and then there is the general bucket giving. u give $ to that the the school chooses how to spend it, u don't even know. I probably own some mulch on campus.

x100 Million

I have to agree with the administration’s position here. The mission of the University is not to pay a select group of athletes.
But you have to look at this from a marketing perspective. Your not paying these kids just for the sake of paying them. Especially in basketball - since we don't have big time football - if we get a team that makes a run to the sweet 16 or beyond, that will probably bring a sizeable return to the athletic department, and university as a whole. And the University should have this data already and look back - what was the impact during and after the back to back NCAA runs and sweet 16 run. That could give them a gauge of how much to invest as the return is likely to be similar.

But again - this would require the University to make athletics a priority and I don't think they want to send that message. UR has always thought of themselves as the Princeton of the south or an Ivy League school in the south. Therefore - they need to always put academics first.

[/QUOTE]
But you have to look at this from a marketing perspective.

UR has always thought of themselves as the Princeton of the south or an Ivy League school in the south. Therefore - they need to always put academics first.
Agreed. The marketing pitch is that UR is similar to the Ivy League.

Definitely closer to an Ivy League school than a P5 one, so that seems like a logical approach to me.

I don’t understand the statement that the reason you (or anyone for that matter) likes college athletics because they are not professional athletics.

I assume you mean in the sense that they care just for the sake of caring about winning and not because they were being paid?
Not the best phrasing of my preference, but the cliche “money changes everything” applies. There are other reasons I like college sports more, but I will focus on the money ones.

Money is yet another distraction for the athlete. How does one maximize earnings? How to handle tax implications? How many “business opportunities” arise for my new found wealth? How do I manage spending? Now the athlete suddenly needs a team of advisors.

Then there are the team based stresses with free agency every year as players try to move up the food chain. Money also becomes another thing that can divide a team as the distribution will not be equal.

Last, there is the motivation factor. College players typically give max effort due to a basic love of the game and for the best the hope for a future payday. Now some of the motivation is gone.

Reactions: urfan1
there's a cost and a benefit to any University in having D1 athletics.
we choose to fund 7 men's and 9 women's sports with varying investments in each.

it's easy to argue that the student and alumni experiences would greatly benefit from additional investment in revenue producing sports, particularly men's basketball.

plus the university could financially benefit. there are NCAA payouts, but also with athletic success there is increased demand for tickets, college applications increase, and alumni donations increase. it could even make the difference if the conferences do divide at some point.
Exactly right. It would be an investment no different from many other that we make every year to improve the university, get more visibility, attract new students, make more money, etc.

Exactly right. It would be an investment no different from many other that we make every year to improve the university, get more visibility, attract new students, make more money, etc.
True except we don’t make a ton of endowment-funded $100m investments.

I do think UR should at least explore this as it very well could pay itself off, perhaps even easily. If the return is super fuzzy then you don’t do it.

Briefly touches on the possible the tax deduction implications...

True except we don’t make a ton of endowment-funded $100m investments.

I do think UR should at least explore this as it very well could pay itself off, perhaps even easily. If the return is super fuzzy then you don’t do it.
Yeah, and I'm also not of the mindset that we would need $100M to do this. I think you could put together a great squad with $1.5M a year.

But you have to look at this from a marketing perspective. Your not paying these kids just for the sake of paying them. Especially in basketball - since we don't have big time football - if we get a team that makes a run to the sweet 16 or beyond, that will probably bring a sizeable return to the athletic department, and university as a whole. And the University should have this data already and look back - what was the impact during and after the back to back NCAA runs and sweet 16 run. That could give them a gauge of how much to invest as the return is likely to be similar.

But again - this would require the University to make athletics a priority and I don't think they want to send that message. UR has always thought of themselves as the Princeton of the south or an Ivy League school in the south. Therefore - they need to always put academics first.
Can't we have a great academic school and elite athletics? We have a lot of resources.

Hardt on the NIL situation...acknowledges some positives and negatives with the new law, declines to share current budget for men's hoops NIL, says supporters need to back both the SAF and NIL but it's up to them how they divide their contributions.

Hardt on the NIL situation...acknowledges some positives and negatives with the new law, declines to share current budget for men's hoops NIL, says supporters need to back both the SAF and NIL but it's up to them how they divide their contributions.

I actually feel sorry for JOC. Got nothing worth writing in my opinion, but asked questions and got responses. I didn’t use the word answers because the questions weren’t answered.

“Keep the donations coming, we need all the dollars we can get to compete” -JH AD

It will be interesting to see what happens to coaches' salaries at our level and slightly below once all schools have the ability to pay NIL stuff directly. I know probably nothing will, but....let's say your school has a $5M annual budget for basketball. Are you spending $2M+ on a coach and leaving yourself only $3M for everything else, or are you hiring an up-and-coming coach for $1M and applying that leftover $1M to buying five starters every year?

Put another way: Would you rather have more talent on the court, or lesser talent on the court but a better/higher-paid coach?

Reactions: urfan1
Do the new NIL rules open the door for a pro who did not play college ball to play on a college team as a retirement option? Like could LeBron play for Duquesne when he retires at 50?

getting paid NIL money doesn't make you a professional.
once you've played professionally in a sport, then you can't go play that same sport in college.

getting paid NIL money doesn't make you a professional.
once you've played professionally in a sport, then you can't go play that same sport in college.

why not? NCAA rules r being overturned all the time. if ncaa has turned into its own professional league a player has every right to play in a lesser pro league in twilight of his career.

why not? NCAA rules r being overturned all the time. if ncaa has turned into its own professional league a player has every right to play in a lesser pro league in twilight of his career.
I guess it could change someday, but right now you can't.

SDSU has lost three guys to the portal. The guy that went to Ohio State apparently put up a long tweet (since deleted) about fans not ponying up enough and SDSU not being competitive with the power conferences in $ amount. Crazy world. I do think their may be some backlash once teams that buy a 5 million dollar team underperform. Probably the coach will feel the heat. Villanova spent big. If they don't win this next season who else you going to blame?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT