ADVERTISEMENT

Impact Transfer

I am not saying they will all make 1st team all A-10. How many teams ever get 3 guys on that? What I am saying is they will be as good as anyone in the A-10 this season.

Only 5 returning guys in the A-10 scored more ppg than Grant last year, only 6 scored more than Nick, and Jacob is as good as any PG in our conference. So, I stand by what I said and I like our chances this year.
You like our chances to do what? To compete and get better, finish .500 in the league last year, make the NIT, make the NCAA?

You like our chances to do what? To compete and get better, finish .500 in the league last year, make the NIT, make the NCAA?

I like our chances to finish above .500 in the A-10 and to finish in the top 4 in the A-10.

Well, we finished .500 last year in the A-10 and nearly Top 4 and won 12 games in a season that was pretty much a disaster.

Conference play is only half of the season, so not sure why our metric for success is just what happens during A-10 play.

OOC play can vary greatly in difficulty from season to season and team to team. It is not a great way to compare a team's current performance to past years when the OOC SoS is very different. Wins and losses in general are not a good way to compare different teams when their SoS are very different. Going into conference play many people thought Duquesne was going to be a decent team because they went 9-4 OOC, but they also played the easiest schedule in D1 and ended up finishing 12th in the A10. Compare that with us, who only had 2 OOC wins, but played a top 25 OOC schedule and finished tied for 5th.

Conference strength is more consistent year to year, and obviously team to team within a given year. The strength of the A10 schedule does not vary nearly as much year to year as OOC SoS varies. This makes A10 play a much better yardstick for comparing year-to-year performance for a given team, or comparing two A10 team's performances within a given year. That is why I prefer to use A10 play to compare A10 teams.

Additionally, a top 4 A10 finish has real consequence. It gives teams a double bye in the A10 tournament, and historically it is also a very strong indicator of NCAA bids.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
The NCAA selection committee counts each game the same and that is all that matters.

No...they don't. And they make it quite clear they don't when wins against top tier teams weight much more heavily than wins against soft out of conference teams or bottom tier teams in your conference.

Reactions: VT4700
No...they don't. And they make it quite clear they don't when wins against top tier teams weight much more heavily than wins against soft out of conference teams or bottom tier teams in your conference.
Well, in that case let's really hope we schedule some good teams OOC this year and can win some good games. This idea that only the conference matters I'll have to say is classic truther stuff. Have shied away from using that word on prompting of mods, but that is what it is. If this was all about conference and getting in position to win the conf tourney and auto bid, then we should go back to CAA. We had good luck with that.

Well, in that case let's really hope we schedule some good teams OOC this year and can win some good games. This idea that only the conference matters I'll have to say is classic truther stuff. Have shied away from using that word on prompting of mods, but that is what it is. If this was all about conference and getting in position to win the conf tourney and auto bid, then we should go back to CAA. We had good luck with that.

I agree with you 23 that we need some good OOC wins. Think the point others are making about the A10 wins is that it is easier to compare year to year win totals, as it is more consistent competition. I don’t think anyone disagrees that the team needs to show well and win against good OOC competition, and definitely win the gimmes on the schedule we did not win last year.

And I would further agree with you that it is on Mooney and the rest of the coaching staff to have this team ready to go at the beginning of the season, and not count on the A-10 season “saving” the season.

He's wearing #4...I've lost track of who has to transfer out now.

It has all been total confusion as to who the real Four is since Fore who was Two has left the program and all incoming recruits are shown wearing Four but they are not Fore.

Reactions: ur2K
Our Nonconference Strength of Schedule was top 25 last year. If we're called the truthers can I just call your side the Richmond liars? Because at least our facts aren't made up to sensationalize fake news.
Did I say anything about SOS in OOC? We need to get good wins and avoid bad losses. Last year we got gut kicked with bad losses right away. I remember working from home, blocked my calendar - put the Delaware or Jacksonville game on - and 10 minutes later was deflated. Seems to be that way every year.

Did I say anything about SOS in OOC? We need to get good wins and avoid bad losses. Last year we got gut kicked with bad losses right away. I remember working from home, blocked my calendar - put the Delaware or Jacksonville game on - and 10 minutes later was deflated. Seems to be that way every year.

Yes, you said that truthers say only conference matters. So I'm literally showing you that more than it matters. Lol. And then expanded on my point. But this is why I put you on ignore, the trolling is too much for me to handle.

I don't think anybody thinks that OOC is disregarded by the selection committee or is an unimportant part of the season. Games need to be won OOC, poor OOC performance held us out of the tournament in 2015 and 2017. However, using OOC or season long win-loss records to compare two A10 teams, or the same team year-to-year, is generally not a good metric since the SoS can change drastically. In these comparisons A10 win-loss numbers are more appropriate.

Any insight from your golf partner on what we should expect? I assume Yates chose Richmond because he thinks he will get a decent amount of playing time here?

Coach Jones mentioned that he was a converted football player and that he was a contributing bench player for them,hence the article which I had previously posted.The answer is yes to playing time.The Yale coach couldn’t believe we got clobbered by Delaware at home and they beat Hens in New-Ark by 10.

Reactions: fan2011
Coach Jones mentioned that he was a converted football player and that he was a contributing bench player for them,hence the article which I had previously posted.The answer is yes to playing time.The Yale coach couldn’t believe we got clobbered by Delaware at home and they beat Hens in New-Ark by 10.
I could not believe that Delaware game either.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Well, of course the quality of wins and losses are rated by the committee. I wasn't inferring otherwise. What I was saying is that this Top 4 in the A-10 metric that is constantly thrown out is a terrible barometer on which to evaluate our team. The double bye is overweighted in its importance, it is one extra game it saves you against probably a bottom dwelling team in the league and basically says we know we don't have to an at large resume and our only shot is to win the conference tourney.

Plus, top 4 in the A-10 meant something when we had Xavier, Butler, Temple in the league, not so much anymore. Going .500 in the A-10 is not some accomplish either. We aren't sniffing even an NIT bid going .500 in the A-10 next year.

If his improvement sophomore year to junior year is anything like his improvement freshmen year to sophomore year we will have gotten a steal. Not expecting an all A10 player, but solid, productive bench minutes are something we have been missing for a while.

omg, just stop. you're becoming a troll.

ok i will stop but it is obvious to me about VT being close friends with staff which is no problem this is good for talking.but i think defense has been a problem with no answers except look next year. Also obvious from posts that we think play for end of year tournament every year. that is only strategy , keep it close and maybe win. Little changes. so if there were the changes tell me . tell me about how poor adjustments for matchup last year when it was slow . I like the wrinkle sometimes. tell me about out of bounds last year. I think these are fair question. So I can ask what are your answers spiderman ? thank you. More talking and we are seeing what staff is thinking and we can agree may yes maybe no but i am seeing answers. This is good. I never ignore anybody.
First time I see the omg . I think that is funny. I know I look like the troll HA

lol. I enjoy your posts, coach.
I'm only a fan. I have no answers, just opinions. I think if 4700 does have the ear of the staff, that would be a good thing right? that means you all can be heard. I just think asking him the same question 30 times is a bit much.

I think we just had the same debate a week ago and also 2 weeks ago when I was asked to put a record with my optimism about next season. Never fails. Now you will know why f I stop being more specific next time I get asked the same things.

My goodness, it is May, and we do not even know the full OOC schedule yet. Plenty on here have already called next season a disaster and have said we will be worse than last year. I have disagreed and mentioned that I see us going above .500 in the A-10 with a top 4 seed. Yet, the response of some who have talked about how we will stink without Khwan and Buck is that a top 4 finish is no big deal? Stop having it both ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
I can see us having a good A-10 record next year, in large part because, after looking at the details of all the rosters post-transfer, the A-10 looks pretty not very good next year! Not unlike this past year, really. We were not a good conference, as shown by the league's successes, or dearth of, out of conference.

This argument about us having a Top-25 OOC schedule means absolutely nothing if we only win 3 games out of all of them. Winning is more important than anything. If we go 28-5, we will go to the tournament. I don't even think we can get a banner for having a Top-25 OOC schedule, right? It's only the Pomeroy top 100?

I think Mooney needs to work hard to develop these young guys and give them plaing time with more leeway for mistakes and growing pains. I’m thinking an 8, 9, or 10 man rotation with extra minutes when the top 5 or six get in foul trouble. Trial by fire can be painful to watch but players rise up and surprise at times, or crumble under pressure. Got to find out what these guys are made of. Mooney must give those opportunities early in the season.

Last edited:
I think Mooney needs to work hard to develop these young guys and give them plaing time with more leeway for mistakes and growing pains. I’m thinking an 8, 9, or 10 man rotation with extra minutes when the top 5 or six get in foul trouble. Trial by fir can be painful to watch but players surprise at times, or crumble under pressure. Got to find out what these guys are made of. Mooney must give those opportunities early in the season.

If we were entering year 4 instead of 14, I would agree with you. If we had gone to the tourney 3 or 4 years ago, instead of 7, I would also agree with you.

Mooney needs to deliver an NCAA bid or deep NIT run now and he knows it. He will manage his roster this winter accordingly.

If we were entering year 4 instead of 14, I would agree with you. If we had gone to the tourney 3 or 4 years ago, instead of 7, I would also agree with you.

Mooney needs to deliver an NCAA bid or deep NIT run now and he knows it. He will manage his roster this winter accordingly.
And what to do next year if two more starters defect? What then? Hope is not a strategy!

There will be no next year. He will deliver or he will be fired.

I hope you’re right. Sadly, I don’t see the school firing him even then since they’ve had ample opportunity to do so already, and haven’t done it. Maybe if we have another disastrous year like this one. Again, hope you’re right

stop with the name calling and attacks on other posters -- challenge the position not the person

While I philosophically agree with Mo, I continue to think that CM gets fired for another losing season not for failing to make postseason. What would be painful is to land in the middle, say 19 wins. Then the potential conundrum starts to happen.

I think 19 wins is not real likely though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT