ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Brown

We were a sub .500 team last year with his 3 portal selections. This year, we have numerous holes to fill and we've signed 1 guy (who yes I like), but signing one when you need at least 3 impact players is not good. . Individually, I like all 4 of those players, this has nothing to do with them. But last year, we got 3 what we all through were really good players in the portal, yet last year was also a massive disappointment, finishing 12th in the A10 with those players. So, yeah, I do think he sucks at the portal.

I mean he could have brought in 3 transfers who started at Duke, Carolina, and Kentucky last year and if we finish 12th in the A-10, he still failed in his ultimate job, of winning basketball games and taking us to the NCAA or postseason play. That is the bottom line to me.
Yes, winning is the bottom line, but maybe you are blaming the wrong thing here? I agree with your last paragraph, but how do you go from saying Mooney sucks at the portal to that? So, if we landed 3 P6 starters and still struggled, you would still blame it on portal acquisitions? Sorry, but I find that strange. If a football team brings in a star transfer RB and a star transfer WR, and loses because the QB isn't good and throws too many INTs, would you blame the coach and the losing on not doing well with transfers?

I wouldn't say we have numerous holes to fill. We filled a huge one with King, and now have a major upgrade there. Maybe one more hole to fill, but I wouldn't say numerous.

I agree with others that our PG play was below average for a Mooney team last year. that affects everything. PG is such an important position. Nelson may become a good one, but he wasn't there yet last year.

I'm hopefull that the King addition is a major upgrade while Smith gets his feet wet and Dji continues to develop. I think that solves a lot of problems.

I agree with others that our PG play was below average for a Mooney team last year. that affects everything. PG is such an important position. Nelson may become a good one, but he wasn't there yet last year.

I'm hopefull that the King addition is a major upgrade while Smith gets his feet wet and Dji continues to develop. I think that solves a lot of problems.
100% agree. But, Spiders still have Mooney, and Mooney is still the BIGGEST problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: wr70beh and whampas
I feel like relying on only Walz as the sole big man backup at this stage is very dicey.
We have 7 footer and a 6'11 guy. Most teams we face won't have one of those. You want 3? VCU rolled through the conference at 18-3 last year, and their biggest piece was 6'9. A 2nd back up to Quinn is the least of our worries.

I don’t need a straight up 5, but give me a Grace type at 6'9" who can play 4 or 5, please.
agreed, and I hope Dad is right that there are names our coaches are working on that we don't know yet.
because right now Hensley and Settle III are the only 2 listed that fit the bill. we've got a bunch of 6'2" and under guys.

We have 7 footer and a 6'11 guy. Most teams we face won't have one of those. You want 3? VCU rolled through the conference at 18-3 last year, and their biggest piece was 6'9. A 2nd back up to Quinn is the least of our worries.
I did not say this.

I do think if Quinn goes out that another frontcourt player who brings more heiight/weight/ability to defend inside is needed because I don't think Walz is going to step in and be immediately productive. At this point I have to believe based on his first season that he may give immediate fouls, or continue to turn it over. He's a project along the lines of others, so I'm tempering my expectations for him, as I've been instructed to do. After Quinn and Walz, if Bigelow is the 3rd biggest guy on the roster, UR will get bullied a lot if any depth issue happens.

I'm really excited about the Jordan King pick up. Looks like a super dynamic scorer that can carry a team for stretches.

BUT - I am wondering if he is more Kendall Anthony than KA or Gilly. King A/TO last season: 3.1/2.4. Jaynel A/TO 2.0/1.8.

Not a huge assist guy. Not too worried about that, but I would like to have another guard that can handle and pass or create shots for self.

Walz - I like what I have seen. But, like Grace don't think you can really play him with Quinn. Still think we need a 6'7" plus physical, athletic force to help out when Bigs is out. Quinn also had the foot scare pre-season, and seemed to get knicked up a bit. So whether Walz is ready or not need a re-inforcement in there. Reed - while not the big time athlete, did look rugged and had what looks like an elite 3 point shot for a big. It's a big whiff by Mooney. If I recall 4700, when Reed decommitted you specifically said we had time to replace him in the portal. Have not seen or heard any such names since the big O'neill that went elswhere right away.

Burton returning would alleviate this concern a bit for sure.

Reed - while not the big time athlete, did look rugged and had what looks like an elite 3 point shot for a big. It's a big whiff by Mooney.
when committing to Tulsa, Reed claimed "the opportunity is there to earn meaningful minutes early on in my college career" at Tulsa. guessing he wasn't confident with that at Richmond. he wasn't beating out Quinn as a freshman so he'd be fighting Walz for backup minutes. and maybe he wasn't sure he'd beat out Walz later.

it's a shame because I thought Reed was the ideal big man recruit for this roster. he's a perimeter 5 in our offense, but he would bring something neither Quinn or Walz has in his shooting.

I'm not worried. King will average 25 ppg, Burton will come back and do the same, Roche will play 30 mpg and average 15 ppg, and everyone else can give us 20-35 ppg. As long as we score 85-90 ppg, we got this!

when committing to Tulsa, Reed claimed "the opportunity is there to earn meaningful minutes early on in my college career" at Tulsa. guessing he wasn't confident with that at Richmond. he wasn't beating out Quinn as a freshman so he'd be fighting Walz for backup minutes.
Reed can play stretch 4 as well. Big hole there at present - even with Burton back - Mooney considers him a wing. If that was the reason he flipped first time, seems like we should re-flip him. Of course I believe someone pointed out Tulsa pretty much lost the entire team from this year. So maybe he is looking forward to bringing the ball up, passing it, shooting it, rebounding it.

GISELLE!! :)

Reactions: VT4700
I know he can shoot but that alone doesn't mean he can play forward.
he's 6'9" 250 and didn't show quick feet in his highlights. I think he was a 5 here. don't know about Tulsa.

Reactions: VT4700
I know he can shoot but that alone doesn't mean he can play forward.
he's 6'9" 250 and didn't show quick feet in his highlights. I think he was a 5 here. don't know about Tulsa.
Agree. I did mention we had time to replace him in the portal, but I also said I wasn't that concerned about losing him. I was happy when we got him, but I am more in a wait and see mode with him before calling this a major loss. I don't think he is a sure thing for success, and had we landed him, there wasn't a guarantee he would be in the rotation next season. Now, that being said, would I take him if he wanted to switch back from Tulsa to here? Of course, but one, we still might get someone, two, Tyler might come back, and three, I am ready to see more Noyes this year anyway.

Reactions: urfan1
We have 7 footer and a 6'11 guy. Most teams we face won't have one of those. You want 3? VCU rolled through the conference at 18-3 last year, and their biggest piece was 6'9. A 2nd back up to Quinn is the least of our worries.\
We just want one to fill a need that Quinn doesn't and Walz not sure. That need most here I believe is looking for a 5 that can defend the rim and block shots. Quinn didn't and fan2011 showed that with his stats and Walz we have no idea but I'm leaning towards typical Mooney big who doesn't/can't?

You want to know a A10 conference stat regarding block shots? We finish 2nd to last in conference averaging 1.71 PG and comparing that to your referencing VCU they tied for 3rd at 3.83 PG.

That size ad doing little defensively and your right it isn't everything but might suggest the difference in Mooney vs other coaches recruiting results. Mooney gets less-athletic vs others more-athletic. Though don't fret Davidson IMO was less athletic than the Spiders. They also had superior size like the Quinn/Grace duo starting with 6'11" and 6'10" splitting the 5 minutes and 6'9" Meenenga playing the 4. Guess what, Davidson finished last in A10 with .94 blocked shots PG.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT