ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Brown

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Breaking protocol here, and giving his own thread.

With the pick up of King, I think adding Darius could really be a huge boost and solidify the roster. Especially if Burton is coming back. If Burton is not back , we will need one more guy that can rebound, score and do some work on the interior, or at the very least defend and rebound.

From what I have read, it sounds like Brown is a defensive oriented, team first, offensively skilled player. He does appear to have handles and can get to the basket and/or kick it out. I think would really compliment King well, and give us a very legit back court. Kind of like the Gilly/Francis - but he is less scorer and bigger than Francis. And oh yeah, DPOY in his conference.

Hope his visit is going well and the coaches can also sell him on this vision.

Per one of the posts, he is supposed to be on campus yesterday and today, then off to Minnesota for two days, then on to Utah State. Utah State obviously should be very worrisome. They just hired his current coach, who he went to the NCAA's with and obviously very familiar.

If we can pull this one off this really gives us a strong roster for next season.

With the pick up of King, I think adding Darius could really be a huge boost and solidify the roster. Especially if Burton is coming back. If Burton is not back , we will need one more guy that can rebound, score and do some work on the interior, or at the very least defend and rebound.

From what I have read, it sounds like Brown is a defensive oriented, team first, offensively skilled player. He does appear to have handles and can get to the basket and/or kick it out. I think would really compliment King well, and give us a very legit back court. Kind of like the Gilly/Francis - but he is less scorer and bigger than Francis. And oh yeah, DPOY in his conference.

Per one of the posts, he is supposed to be on campus yesterday and today, then off to Minnesota for two days, then on to Utah State. Utah State obviously should be very worrisome. They just hired his current coach, who he went to the NCAA's with and obviously very familiar.

If we can pull this one off this really gives us a strong roster for next season.
He is out top identified transfer target right now, especially with losing Maddox to a guy who is still in his head coaching diapers. We have already landed one nice transfer, but we honestly need to land 3 with the state of our roster right now.

And every good player is gonna have good competition, so Mooney and co, have to step up and make it happen.

I think Utah St is going to be hard to beat as well but you never know. He played pickup yesterday and from what I understand King is def the better of the two...take that as you will. I didn't see him personally

Reactions: 97spiderfan
I think King is a more dynamic scorer, probably quicker. I am going off actual college production, and Brown has plenty, including a pretty good game against a top 10ish K State team. I want them both. I am not discounting Dji's role next season, because I see him as a very good contributor. But as 97 points out, we need guys that are proven impact in the portal. Got a good one so far, but we lost Maddox, and if we can't land Brown, that puts us in a spot as mid level A10 team next year IMO. And we are in flux with Burton's status.

I think Utah St is going to be hard to beat as well but you never know. He played pickup yesterday and from what I understand King is def the better of the two...take that as you will. I didn't see him personally
I am going to presume that being a really good defender is probably not as easily seen in a pick up game that being a really good offensive player. But good observations, 75. Thx.

I think King is a more dynamic scorer, probably quicker. I am going off actual college production, and Brown has plenty, including a pretty good game against a top 10ish K State team. I want them both. I am not discounting Dji's role next season, because I see him as a very good contributor. But as 97 points out, we need guys that are proven impact in the portal. Got a good one so far, but we lost Maddox, and if we can't land Brown, that puts us in a spot as mid level A10 team next year IMO. And we are in flux with Burton's status.
oh no doubt, I agree. King is def those things. Hopefully Brown can be too.

I am going to presume that being a really good defender is probably not as easily seen in a pick up game that being a really good offensive player. But good observations, 75. Thx.
I'll say defensively we had a couple of guys that had him in clamps during the pickup games, from what I was told by couple of different people.

Guessing he was in for a free trip to the East Coast and will sign with Utah State in a couple days.

Well, I really think this guy could be key to our season. Or someone similar. Even before Maddox to Mason happened, I started to think this guy maybe a better fit. He can put the ball on the floor, he can pass it, and he can shoot. And he doesn't need to shoot a lot. And he plays D.
He was a 90 % FT shooter this past season. 90. Shot 39% from 3. 4.9 assists to 1.6 TO. I compared to Eric English, very similar, but a little more playmaking ability.

We really really could use a guy like this on the team. And despite sdad trying to throw water on this with his vested interest, the highlights I see the guy can make plays. And DPOY. SG size with PG skills. Love the looks of this guy.

If we do not get him, and Burton goes pro - I think we are looking at pretty significant holes in our roster. At the least, we are counting on guys that have not done it at the college level before to take a big step up.

Reactions: VT4700
Well, I really think this guy could be key to our season. Or someone similar. Even before Maddox to Mason happened, I started to think this guy maybe a better fit. He can put the ball on the floor, he can pass it, and he can shoot. And he doesn't need to shoot a lot. And he plays D.
He was a 90 % FT shooter this past season. 90. Shot 39% from 3. 4.9 assists to 1.6 TO. I compared to Eric English, very similar, but a little more playmaking ability.

We really really could use a guy like this on the team. And despite sdad trying to throw water on this with his vested interest, the highlights I see the guy can make plays. And DPOY. SG size with PG skills. Love the looks of this guy.

If we do not get him, and Burton goes pro - I think we are looking at pretty significant holes in our roster. At the least, we are counting on guys that have not done it at the college level before to take a big step up.
I like him a lot too and we certainly could play him with King, but I worry that he might have been looking for the PG spot and we just got King. big assist guy. ball is probably in his hands a lot.

could be wrong. he didn't cancel his visit so that's a good sign. maybe we sell him on playing 2 PG types together. we'll see. but other school's may have that PG spot to offer.

I hear you sman. I do think we have traditionally had both guards bring the ball up and handle the ball a ton.

David Gonzalvez comes to mind. Even with Gilly, Francis brought the ball up and initiated offense a ton. Just like with our big man usage rate, I think the staff can show very easily that both our guards bring the ball up and handle the ball a bunch. Brown actually is more of an assist guy and better Assist/TO ration than King. Maybe King plays a little more of a Kendall Anthony role. I would love to have two guards that can handle and get their own shot with King and Brown.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
Must be quite a contrast for him in Minnesota right now... 30s and dreary.
I just did a little bit of research on Utah State. They had a nice season last year with 5 players in double figures. None of those players are returning this year. Three are lost to the portal and two had their 6th year of college ball last year. Their star point guard is now at Creighton.

Three starters in the portal. Five total

Obviously plenty of playing time for him there, but who knows what kind of team they will have. He would get plenty of playing time here too and probably on a better team as the rest of the piece are already in place (provided Burton returns)

He only has one year left -- why waste it on a team that is in rebuild mode next year?

Reactions: urfan1
I hear you sman. I do think we have traditionally had both guards bring the ball up and handle the ball a ton.

David Gonzalvez comes to mind. Even with Gilly, Francis brought the ball up and initiated offense a ton. Just like with our big man usage rate, I think the staff can show very easily that both our guards bring the ball up and handle the ball a bunch. Brown actually is more of an assist guy and better Assist/TO ration than King. Maybe King plays a little more of a Kendall Anthony role. I would love to have two guards that can handle and get their own shot with King and Brown.
agreed. it certainly works for us. the more ball handlers the better. and he's not too undersized to play 2nd guard. just thinking out loud about what Brown may think of the situation.

Mountain, the big issue/problem for us, is that his coach at Montana State just took the job at Utah State (vacated by Odom - the new VCU coach). So that will probably be the sales pitch.
No doubt. And if he had more than one year of eligibility left he might be willing to wait for the rebuild. But their lineup looks putrid for next year with the top five gone and a few more transferring or with no eligibility left. He'd have to REALLY love the coach to go there, or not be concerned about winning in his final year.

Utah State stats

Reactions: spider23
He only has one year left -- why waste it on a team that is in rebuild mode next year?
Good arguments, but the status of our program contending next year is not great either. Now, Mooney could argue that with King and hopefully Burton returning and then with Brown coming on board that we could contend next year.

Let's hope he buys want Mooney is pitching and not looking at results of Mooney having done that, say just last year where he was making the same argument but failed.

Reactions: Zeeter
Good arguments, but the status of our program contending next year is not great either. Now, Mooney could argue that with King and hopefully Burton returning and then with Brown coming on board that we could contend next year.

Let's hope he buys want Mooney is pitching and not looking at results of Mooney having done that, say just last year where he was making the same argument but failed.
You never know what these players want or what their thinking is, but Mooney has a pretty easy sales pitch despite last season's results. We lost an NBA player, a star G-League player, and Nathan Cayo. Before that we were an NCAA team that won a game, an NIT team, and an NCAA bound team before COVID ended the season.

Last season was a disappointment, but we've had good success the previous 3 seasons, return our best two players (as of now) and added another great one in King.

I think Gilyard playing in the NBA was likely part of the sales pitch to King and Brown. Guards that can handle the ball have had a ton of success here.

I think you all are underestimating the allure of a coach - his previous coach mind you - being able to tell him that they can feature him on offense because the minutes and shots will be there for the taking. For any guy looking at a pro career possibility (note I have no idea if he's a pro type guy) this could be a selling point to improve their chances.

As for having 2 PG types in the lineup, I feel like the UR history under Mooney is such that having 2 scoring, ballhandling guards was always a necessity. In the modern game even more so. Can't have a guy who is reluctant to shoot at the guard position these days, no matter his defensive prowess.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23

"And despite sdad trying to throw water on this with his vested interest, the highlights I see the guy can make plays. And DPOY. SG size with PG skills. Love the looks of this guy."

I didn't see it as that...just reported what I was told, but it's all good. I'm all for him coming and I do think he can help us bc it is a position of need.

good, just thought if I were a recruit and happened to take a gander at a message board to see the what the fans thought, and saw an insider/family member saying that multiple guys put the clamps on me I might think: Why are they talking sh#t about me??

Thats just me, I tend to have a chip on my shoulder :)

I haven't heard anything but is there timetable for him? Or is it just wait and see with how the Utah St visit goes?

That's all I can find, looks like Utah State Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully he likes the heat :), looks to be 56 with 40% chance of rain in Utah on Monday.
And what is the weather in Bozeman Monday? Or even better on the start of conference play?;)

Darius Brown watch week. Again, as I noted on the other thread, this guy is my number 1 target, I think could push us over the edge. Really like the Jordan King signing, but I feel adding Brown would give us a very top level back court in the A10. Hopefully no news out of Utah State today.

Darius Brown watch week. Again, as I noted on the other thread, this guy is my number 1 target, I think could push us over the edge. Really like the Jordan King signing, but I feel adding Brown would give us a very top level back court in the A10. Hopefully no news out of Utah State today.
23 wasn't he suppose to visit Utah St Sunday?

This guy is saying it is a Minnesota vs Utah St battle. He could be right but he also put out an article about Sean Bairstow right before he was supposed to visit Minnesota saying it was a Minnesota vs Nebraska battle. Then when he found out Bairstow cancelled the visit said that Bairstow is following "some coach" to VCU without realizing he was following his head coach. I wouldn't put any trust in the fact he didn't bring up UR at the end.

Long story short: don't trust this guy as a source.

"With Sprinkle at Utah State this could be a real battle but Minnesota is of course a high major team in the Big Ten..."

...which won 9 games all year and finished with a NET of 222. They made our disappointing season look pretty solid.

Yep, I watched Minnesota one game, they looked OK, beat Ohio State. Looks like they then proceeded to lose 12 straight. And I think lost a bunch of guys in the portal. Brown may have opportunity to show off his game against the likes of Mich, Mich State, Illinois etc, but may be a real poor team.

Hopefully he takes his talents to west end Richmond.

Reactions: Eight Legger
This guy is saying it is a Minnesota vs Utah St battle. He could be right but he also put out an article about Sean Bairstow right before he was supposed to visit Minnesota saying it was a Minnesota vs Nebraska battle. Then when he found out Bairstow cancelled the visit said that Bairstow is following "some coach" to VCU without realizing he was following his head coach. I wouldn't put any trust in the fact he didn't bring up UR at the end.

Long story short: don't trust this guy as a source.

thx yep that article is written for MN fans and expected to have a slant. He's no insider from the sounds of it. 3 known visits and he's naming 2 of the 3. Bold.

btw u officially win for worst handle name. u could have added Yankees or Covid to the end of it. Maybe not enough room.

The pics...

brown-photos.jpg

I understand he is deep in negotiations with the Spidernation Collective. Stay tuned, gents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT