ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Brown

The pics...

brown-photos.jpg
The pics...

brown-photos.jpg

The Spider behind his head makes him look like King Darius!
Time for King Darius to pull the trigger for Richmond. Neither Utah State nor Minnesota look very good next year. Burton is probably back for us, so come join a dangerous starting lineup and rack up assists passing to 6th man Roche.

King
Brown
Burton
Bigelow
Quinn

Reactions: urfan1
Agree Mountain, I feel like he is a guy that is just so solid all around, great decision maker, would really put our roster in a place. When I saw this thread update, I was fearing the worst. I do agree that among the seemingly three finalists, we have the best opportunity to have a good year. He did just have a successful season with the new Utah State coach, so have to imagine that he is getting the hard sell to stay and continue that on in a new location.

Brown, King, Dji, Roche. That would be a really solid guard group, all bringing different skills. I would feel much better with our guard group this year if Brown committs.

I'll be shocked if he chooses Richmond. Utah State with his current coach? Minnesota in power conference? Or, travel thousands of miles from home to play for an East coast team that was below .500 last year? I don't see it.

Still no word it seems.

I just saw that his Montana State teammate Raequan Battle went to West Va. From what I have gleaned, it seems WVA is throwing around a bit of NIL dollars. Could be a factor with Darius, who knows. If it is, could see Minnesota being the leader, or another team enter. All just wild speculation. Hope we can land him.

I'll be shocked if he chooses Richmond. Utah State with his current coach? Minnesota in power conference? Or, travel thousands of miles from home to play for an East coast team that was below .500 last year? I don't see it.

I think the longer this goes, the less likely he will follow his coach to Utah State. After losing their starting five and some of their bench, what does Utah State have to offer him besides his previous head coach? If following his coach was that important to him, he could have already decided by now.

Richmond and Minnesota offer different things, so it comes down to what he wants.

Minnesota finished last in the Big 10 by three games. Their top 2 players by minutes entered the portal, and that looks like a big red flag to me. Minnesota already got a 6'2" PG from the portal in Mike Mitchell Jr

From a basketball perspective, Richmond makes a lot of sense for him I think. And Richmond is just a longer plane ride than Minnesota.

Brown decision is coming today.

Edit: Welp, maybe not. The tweet from 336 Edits has been deleted.

I think he looked at 14-16 and didn't see anything.

If you are a player looking to transfer through the portal and a team courting you was 14-16, possibly losing their top scorer, and is led by a coach with a career .500 winning percentage, would you consider them? The answer is no, UNLESS, you are a proven commodity who can see a HUGE gaping hole that you feel has your name written all over it.

Jordon King is the perfect example (I think he is a tremendous get for Spiders). He has one year, is a small scoring guard (seeing track record of success at Richmond), and he will obviously be handed the keys to the castle. Win-Win situation for both parties.

Brown didn't choose Utah St over Richmond because he doesn't think highly of Mooney.
he's going to a total rebuild team. he's going there because he likes, repects and trusts his coach. understandable and nothing wrong with that. if Utah St adds enough other pieces maybe he'll win there, but so far the adds there don't equal the losses.

Maybe so maybe so, but he has landed some pretty solid pieces there. And what's the excuse with Joe Bam Bam, and Maddox, and I don't know if we were involved with Buchanan but you would think so. It seems Mooney is whiffing quite a bit. I get it if they have offers from uconn and Gonzaga, but we are talking GW, GMU and vcu with a brand new coach. You have to be able to win some of these. And the mystery guy sdad mentioned.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Brown didn't choose Utah St over Richmond because he doesn't think highly of Mooney.
he's going to a total rebuild team.
Completely agree Mooney had slim to no chance. If Mooney pulled it off would have to give him lots of CREDIT! My impression was Brown even having here as a destination was us close to begging him to come. So probably going to a rebuild team but we aren't in a rebuilding mode? Last year's record speaks for itself and if no Tyler back that says not in contention for A10 title. Unless Bigs, Quinn, and Roche finally show their potential talent that Mooney somehow didn't get out of them or Smith stars right off the bat.

When all the dust settles I'm going to be very interested to see A10 coaches poll in what October where Spiders fall along with you know who in preseason predictions. Off top of head thinking not in position of a league champ contender. So what does that say, Mooney needed to be in rebuild mode? Hope I'm wrong but last few players mentioned by SF we're recruiting had us like the P6 school and others mid-majors. If Mooney does say yes to them I think 100% they are coming to the leafy destination.

Completely agree Mooney had slim to no chance. If Mooney pulled it off would have to give him lots of CREDIT! My impression was Brown even having here as a destination was us close to begging him to come. So probably going to a rebuild team but we aren't in a rebuilding mode? Last year's record speaks for itself and if no Tyler back that says not in contention for A10 title. Unless Bigs, Quinn, and Roche finally show their potential talent that Mooney somehow didn't get out of them or Smith stars right off the bat.

When all the dust settles I'm going to be very interested to see A10 coaches poll in what October where Spiders fall along with you know who in preseason predictions. Off top of head thinking not in position of a league champ contender. So what does that say, Mooney needed to be in rebuild mode? Hope I'm wrong but last few players mentioned by SF we're recruiting had us like the P6 school and others mid-majors. If Mooney does say yes to them I think 100% they are coming to the leafy destination.
Last year's Spider portal position was infinitely more appealing. Coming off a NCAA tournament appearance versus coming off of a 14-16 debacle. I think that we are making a mistake if we underestimate the significance of the optic.

I suspect that King came on board (thank goodness) because he has only 1-year, he liked Richmond's history with smaller scoring guards, and he could easily see that he gets the keys to the car right off-the-bat. Little to nothing to lose, and he gets to play up a notch.

Agree that Mooney and cast are sucking portal pond water at this point. Maybe they can surprise us with a last second rabbit out of the hat, but I have my doubts.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I believe this is what is called "tempering your expectations". We are losing mightily at this portal thing. You'd think for a guy who has been doing this head coaching thing for 18 years, literally multiple times longer than almost all of his peers, he wouldn't suck at it so much. But alas, Mooney always can find new ways of disappointing.

I believe this is what is called "tempering your expectations". We are losing mightily at this portal thing. You'd think for a guy who has been doing this head coaching thing for 18 years, literally multiple times longer than almost all of his peers, he wouldn't suck at it so much. But alas, Mooney always can find new ways of disappointing.
This is strange post. How are we "losing mightily" at this portal thing? Quinn, Roche, Bigs, and King the last 2 springs, and the 2nd spring isn't even over yet. You think they all suck?

This is strange post. How are we "losing mightily" at this portal thing? Quinn, Roche, Bigs, and King the last 2 springs, and the 2nd spring isn't even over yet. You think they all suck?
While I don’t 100% agree with 97 on this, it’s hard to make an argument that bigs and roche had overly positive contributions last year. Maybe this year. King looks good.

At the end of the day, we were bad last year so it’s fair to question if we have a selection problem or an implementation problem. either way it wasn’t good and doesn’t seem to be getting better.

While I don’t 100% agree with 97 on this, it’s hard to make an argument that bigs and roche had overly positive contributions last year.
Exactly my first thought reading 4700's rebuttal! IMO neither player Mooney was able to get the max out of their abilities. Roche didn't play as much as frosh year but still was mostly "money" from deep. Bigs rebounded because it's in his DNA but what if Mooney added a twist to it by telling him to crash the O glass?

Hopefully they get better by Mooney assisting them, maybe the cliche saying by coaches, "have to put them in better position to succeed" appropriate. That is one Andy Reid always used in post game loss sit downs. And Quinn bravos pickup by Mooney for thought he contributed nicely. I think how good would his stat line be if he didn't miss so many bunnies? Nothing Mooney could do about that.

While I don’t 100% agree with 97 on this, it’s hard to make an argument that bigs and roche had overly positive contributions last year. Maybe this year. King looks good.

At the end of the day, we were bad last year so it’s fair to question if we have a selection problem or an implementation problem. either way it wasn’t good and doesn’t seem to be getting better.
I like what Bigs and Roche bring, and think they each had a lot of positive contributions last year. I think better PG play would have certainly helped their games, so I look for better years from both of them this year.

It may seem like the portal was the problem due to last year's results, but the players we brought in were a lot better than the ones that left in the portal. Can you imagine how bad we would have been with Sal instead of Quinn? Wilson instead of Roche?

Last year's super seniors were all recruited out of high school but none were quality A10 starters even in their 5th year. And Mooney overestimated our PGs too -- all of which he recruited out of high school. If Nelson was who Mooney thought, and Grace and Gustavson had become above average starters, last year would have looked completely different.

Unfortunately it looks like Mooney had a brief window of good HS recruiting and now it is over. The incoming class does offer some hope, but we lost an important recruit from it.

And on Brown.... next time we have a guy come in that we want, lets not put Gus or Bailey on them during the pickup game. But if it was Nelson defending him... have fun in Utah.

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
I do get that he had familiarity and success with his current coach, and he is from and played on the west half of the US. BUT, this is where you need to be able to win some of these battles. Really think he was the perfect guy to put next to King. Better A/TO ratio, rebounds, has size and great at defense. Combine with Dji when King is out and you would have had a lock down guard unit. But hey, we tried. Just like with Reed going to turnstile Tulsa. We tried. How can you compete?

Hopefully Moon has another one up his sleave, I can understand Joey Bams to some degree, but huge misses on Maddox and Brown.

I do get that he had familiarity and success with his current coach, and he is from and played on the west half of the US. BUT, this is where you need to be able to win some of these battles. Really think he was the perfect guy to put next to King. Better A/TO ratio, rebounds, has size and great at defense. Combine with Dji when King is out and you would have had a lock down guard unit. But hey, we tried. Just like with Reed going to turnstile Tulsa. We tried. How can you compete?

Hopefully Moon has another one up his sleave, I can understand Joey Bams to some degree, but huge misses on Maddox and Brown.
All fair, 23. We do need to win some of these. Just one more key piece could make things look a lot better. Still time.

Reactions: spider23
It may seem like the portal was the problem due to last year's results, but the players we brought in were a lot better than the ones that left in the portal. Can you imagine how bad we would have been with Sal instead of Quinn? Wilson instead of Roche?

Last year's super seniors were all recruited out of high school but none were quality A10 starters even in their 5th year. And Mooney overestimated our PGs too -- all of which he recruited out of high school. If Nelson was who Mooney thought, and Grace and Gustavson had become above average starters, last year would have looked completely different.

Unfortunately it looks like Mooney had a brief window of good HS recruiting and now it is over. The incoming class does offer some hope, but we lost an important recruit from it.
Great post. And, explains perfectly why I questioned 97 saying Mooney is failing with transfers. I certainly wouldn't call losing Sal and Wilson while adding Quinn, Bigs, and Roche failing. Same this year with losing Nelson and Randolph, but adding King. I liked Randolph, but adding King already makes us better than last year at the guard spot.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
right now Bigelow and King are pencilled in as starters, and Roche might be. those are clearly successful transfer portal wins.
if the next 2 are just rotational pieces, that's a win as well.
and if we retain Burton that's the biggest win.

Reactions: VT4700
We were a sub .500 team last year with his 3 portal selections. This year, we have numerous holes to fill and we've signed 1 guy (who yes I like), but signing one when you need at least 3 impact players is not good. . Individually, I like all 4 of those players, this has nothing to do with them. But last year, we got 3 what we all through were really good players in the portal, yet last year was also a massive disappointment, finishing 12th in the A10 with those players. So, yeah, I do think he sucks at the portal.

I mean he could have brought in 3 transfers who started at Duke, Carolina, and Kentucky last year and if we finish 12th in the A-10, he still failed in his ultimate job, of winning basketball games and taking us to the NCAA or postseason play. That is the bottom line to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT