ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Game

spider23

Spider's Club
May 31, 2002
Dedmon Center USA
ruhoops.proboards.com
Big opportunity here. I approach every game as a must win game. I know, that is taboo with our program, we like to compete and show well to OK, and that is OK for our leafy campus.

Having a hard time getting a real read on Colorado - I am sure Flyder will provide us some nice metrics. They are ranked #18 KenPom. They underachieved big time last year, but have a lot of talent back, and added the NO. 7 player in the country Cody Williams, an expected NBA player very soon. Three pretty much blowout wins, but have not played anyone of note. KenPom predicts 11 point Colorado win. Sounds like they have sizable, physical guards. This seemed to be an issue last game. Need to see King step up to the competition level this game for 35 minutes.

Going to need impact from Noyes / Dji / Bigs. I think Quinn and even Walz showed last game they should be able to go toe to toe. Would really like to see Noyes and Dji really try to impact the game.

Great opportunity, I think this will show a lot about our team's ability to step up and play vs the top teams.

EL, I'm a little worried that that is the expectation from Queally, Admin and on down to us lowest forms of existence on the negative message board.

I hope the team is angry over the last game and comes out with something to prove.

King and Hunt are the key to every game this year. as they go, we'll go.

EL, I'm a little worried that that is the expectation from Queally, Admin and on down to us lowest forms of existence on the negative message board.

I hope the team is angry over the last game and comes out with something to prove.
I hope you are wrong. We have to come out with a chip on our shoulders.

Reactions: spider23

When you say Queally has low expectations for the team, are you referring to Paul Queally, who helped build the basketball practice building and is the major contributor and fund raiser for the NIL fund or some other Queally?

When you say Queally has low expectations for the team, are you referring to Paul Queally, who helped build the basketball practice building and is the major contributor and fund raiser for the NIL fund or some other Queally?
Correct. His contributions of $ are certainly appreciated. But I ask, if he had not pushed Ukrops away, maybe we have big donors that want to win and do not accept that most years are a transition year. It's nice to have the money to get your name on buildings and be friends with the HC, but I just think we could set higher expectations - in hoops.

And I will say, if we get kicked to the curb the next two games, I probably will just join the "if you can't beat them, join them" crowd and will just be back to accepting that this is who we are for the next 10 years. Yes, great run the BLG (Bud Light Gilly), Grant, Burton, etc. But, we had a great opportunity to build on that last year and Mooney playing with house money to show that he could adapt to the new landscape, and THUD. I am still excited about this year, but we should be a top 5 A10 team. If we are not, where is the hope for future seasons. We lose Quinn, Bigs, and King. Yes, happy with the two studs we have coming in, but no don't want to wait until 2027 to see them pay off. The mantra in college hoops the last few years has been: "Get Old". We will be getting young next year. Nice young core I believe with Soulis/Walz/Tyne/Tanner/McGlothin/Robinson, but you are going to need to supplement with big time transfers too.

Reactions: SpiderK
Correct. His contributions of $ are certainly appreciated. But I ask, if he had not pushed Ukrops away, maybe we have big donors that want to win and do not accept that most years are a transition year. It's nice to have the money to get your name on buildings and be friends with the HC, but I just think we could set higher expectations - in hoops.
I greatly appreciate what Bobby Ukrop's has given to U of R, but Paul is at a different level of giving. I would not be surprise if Paul have given 30 times as much. Paul also contributes a lot more than just money. Just because you may differ with him on opinion, doesn't mean he has low expectations for the team. We need Paul engaged if we are going to have a successful program over time.

Believe he is speaking of the Queally that said with such a leafy campus, we need to be realistic and lower our expectations.

PG - 5th year senior
SG - 4th year junior
SF - 3rd year sophomore
PF - 6th year senior
C - 5th year senior
6th man - 4th year junior
7th man - 3rd year junior

Remind me why this is a transition year?

It's not. That is a false narrative.

I think Noyes even referenced a rebuilding year in 1 of the offseason articles. I was like huh? But I give him a pass bc he wasn’t used to the media.

Spider23 is right we get much younger next year.

We never know what Mooney expects bc he refuses to ever say. He did it once in 19-20 to a direct question. But he was also under mild very mild pressure going into that year. Otherwise it’s always we keep that stuff internal to team. Or it gets defined after the year is over by Hardt at the postseason Regatta.

It’s why some of us get disappointed when we don’t feel the urgency for a game like BC. I’m generalizing but it gets dismissed as hey 1 of those shooting nights (that we have often) or the team is still learning to play together. Well not really we r old, it’s the portal era and we have a 19 year dean of A10 coaches. This is high mid major ball we don’t have luxury of getting lots of shots like teams in the P6.

I greatly appreciate what Bobby Ukrop's has given to U of R, but Paul is at a different level of giving. I would not be surprise if Paul have given 30 times as much. Paul also contributes a lot more than just money. Just because you may differ with him on opinion, doesn't mean he has low expectations for the team. We need Paul engaged if we are going to have a successful program over time.
I agree we need Paul's contributions, but it would be helpful if he came out and said something to the effect, we expect to compete for championships and thus anything below top 4 IC is a failure,

Paul gives us a lot of money and that is to be commended. But that money has not translated into more wins in athletics and the only time Paul has really spoken about winning it was to tell us to "lower our expectations"

So, while I like his money, I don't really like his messaging when it comes to athletics. If I was giving as much $$$ as Paul was, I would be pretty pissed about the my return for it. Paul not only seems happy about it but makes excuses for the return not being any greater.

did Ukrops get pushed out, or did he take his ball and go home when he didn't like the lacrosse decision?

I don't think Bobby is anti lacrosse, but he did not like what was done to soccer and track. From some of my inside friends he was not given the opportunity to debate the decision before it was a "done deal".

Yeah. Got a dear friend that was on the Board.

The whole thing was badly bungled. Queally was not the black hat in this. It was the Admin and the absurd magically invented 13% rule. Bobby was more blindsided than not.

Reactions: urfan1
I recall in the soccer track meeting in which Ayers and Admin thought they could sway the crowd, but they only lost ground. The crowd had done their research and countered every argument they put forward. At one point I recall them saying, I will not sacrifice my sophomore scholars program so that we can have more athletes on campus.

KenPom Prediction:

Colorado 79-68 and we have a 17% chance of winning. I know I said I was pessimistic about this one, but I think I'd give us more than a 17% shot. Hard to really know what Colorado is all about, but they are 3-0 with dominant wins against Towson, Grambling, & Milwaukee. They have 5 guys averaging double figures. Also, how many times do you think they bring up Primetime during the broadcast?

Hopefully they all get food poisoning on the flight or someone pulls the fire alarm in their hotel at 4 am, then we'll have a little better chance.

Is that inflation adjusted?

KenPom Prediction:

Colorado 79-68 and we have a 17% chance of winning. I know I said I was pessimistic about this one, but I think I'd give us more than a 17% shot. Hard to really know what Colorado is all about, but they are 3-0 with dominant wins against Towson, Grambling, & Milwaukee. They have 5 guys averaging double figures. Also, how many times do you think they bring up Primetime during the broadcast?
Their opening 3 wins are on par to our opening 2 cupcakes. It’ll take a handful of more games to shake out before we find out who we are and who Colorado is. Then again, conference play last season showed us who we were.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Their opening 3 wins are on par to our opening 2 cupcakes. It’ll take a handful of more games to shake out before we find out who we are and who Colorado is. Then again, conference play last season showed us who we were.
Yes, that was last year!

Big opportunity here. I approach every game as a must win game. I know, that is taboo with our program, we like to compete and show well to OK, and that is OK for our leafy campus.

Having a hard time getting a real read on Colorado - I am sure Flyder will provide us some nice metrics. They are ranked #18 KenPom. They underachieved big time last year, but have a lot of talent back, and added the NO. 7 player in the country Cody Williams, an expected NBA player very soon. Three pretty much blowout wins, but have not played anyone of note. KenPom predicts 11 point Colorado win. Sounds like they have sizable, physical guards. This seemed to be an issue last game. Need to see King step up to the competition level this game for 35 minutes.

Going to need impact from Noyes / Dji / Bigs. I think Quinn and even Walz showed last game they should be able to go toe to toe. Would really like to see Noyes and Dji really try to impact the game.

Great opportunity, I think this will show a lot about our team's ability to step up and play vs the top teams.
85- Colorado
50- Richmond might as well watch Monday night football instead.

Mani, I am expecting a win.
The only game I am expecting to lose is Florida, they have Todd Golden, a very good coach, so more talent, coaching edge, and secret weapon in Hovde - who will know our coach's every tendency. And maybe Hartman is still mad about being scape goated in that ridiculous texting investigation and penalty. But that game will fall under their is every reason to lose by 20, so maybe reverse psychology.

but tonight, I am expecting a w.

I predict we jump out early on Colorado - being upset from the BC loss. But then we will hit the dreaded drought - we go scoreless for 5+ minutes, Colorado takes the lead and we can never climb back into it.

Colorado 76
UR 67

I predict we jump out early on Colorado - being upset from the BC loss. But then we will hit the dreaded drought - we go scoreless for 5+ minutes, Colorado takes the lead and we can never climb back into it.

Colorado 76
UR 67
I want us to win, but that would give me the cover....

until proven that the Moonball offense can handle itself in the face of an aggressive defense, I'm reserving judgment. BC game started great but once adjustments were made by BC defense and on-ball pressure cranked up, particularly on King, the motion reverted to a single-option offense. Often that means nonstop contested 3s but vs BC it meant nonstop post ups.

It certainly helps when FAU loses to Bryant, Arkansas loses to UNCG, Michigan State loses to Alcorn, USC loses to Brown, and Villanova loses to Penn.

until proven that the Moonball offense can handle itself in the face of an aggressive defense, I'm reserving judgment. BC game started great but once adjustments were made by BC defense and on-ball pressure cranked up, particularly on King, the motion reverted to a single-option offense. Often that means nonstop contested 3s but vs BC it meant nonstop post ups.
We have learned since then. Upset in the making!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT