ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado Game

For the Spiders to win this game, yes - we need our guards to play well - that will always be a given. And we need Quinn to be solid - but I think the X-Factor tonight with be Bigelow. We need a good, efficient game from him. I think if we can get 12-14 points out of him, maybe 4-5 rebounds, and solid defense - we got a chance.

Agree Trap - our smaller guards will always need to score the ball, and be disruptive and pesky on the ball defenders. As you say, it is a given that they must play well for us to have a chance most nights.
I don't have much of a feel for this Colorado team, but from everything I read, they returned some really good talent (though underachieved last season) and added 6-foot-11, 263lbs Eddy Lampkin from TCU, and top 10 HS player - 6'8" wing expected to play in the NBA very soon. So this will be a load.
That said - I would lump in Noyes and Dji along with Bigelow - all , or at the very least 2 out of the 3 must play very well - including scoring. All three have the size/length and athleticism to hang with this type of p6 talent when playing well.
Other Key: Ball movement. Was the fact that we were playing two 300+ rated teams the reason our offense looked so good. Can we replicate that against more talented teams. Though Quinn had a great game vs BC, a lot of other guys struggled, and the ball got really stagnant at times. Now that we played a more physical and athletic team I am hoping we found our sea legs, and we can look a little more like we did the first two games.
Defense: While this has the feel of a high scoring game, I think CU is too talented to play this game in the high 70's and 80's. I think we need to be able to get stops. This will be a test. A W here could be a big boost to our season and outlook.

for who is the biggest impact player for tonight for UR, it's whomever can hit outside shots. For that reason, King is my top guy, with Roche and. Noyes in the mix. Bigelow and Dji have to show they can shoot - and more importantly, make - at enough volume to impact the game offensively if a team stuffs the paint and clogs driving lanes. Hunt, to a lesser extent.

Yes, I think with these games, we definitely need to win the 3 point battle by margin. Could be a Roche bounce back. In his case, don't force. Be aggressive but make sure you have your feet under you and not 7 feet behind the line. If he can come off the bench and hit three that would be huge. Want to see Noyes get some looks from 3 as well. As much as I like Bigs, would rather Dji get a couple more attempts from three over Bigs.

Not only is Colorado ranked, but they have the pure offensive numbers to back that up. 16th in scoring. 5th in FG%, 2nd in assists, and 1st in 3P% means we're in for a tough one. Expecting a Spider win is a tall order here, but I think beating the +9.5 spread should be an excellent benchmark for this team. Colorado has faced absolutely 0 quality opponents this season, so hard to get a full read on their abilities, but they've taken care of business at every step as they should.

Starter to look out for: KJ Simpson (Jr)
Bench player to look out for: Julian Hammond (Jr)

These juniors for Colorado have earned their places the hard way, by not transferring and putting in the work to up their performance year over year. Simpson is off to an absolutely electric start offensively, fueling the numbers above. He's shooting 74% from 2 and 50% from 3, and boasts a 91.7% free throw percentage. Looking at the tape, he's also an excellent distributor of the basketball and has excellent movement both on and off the ball. He's going to cause us major problems tonight.

Hammond is my dark horse pick off the bench to impress. As their 4th highest scorer, he's proving to be a pesky 6th man. When he gets his chances, he's always ready to pick and pop, particularly from beyond the arc. Watching the tape, his release is pure and quick and is an excellent compliment to Simpson as a 3 point threat. If we look to shut down Simpson, look for Hammond to get some extra action.

How Richmond can win:

Everything about this game screams trouble. We're completely mismatched in terms of size across the court, they shoot like crazy, and are extremely quick in transition. I would hope Mooney looks to press early, to slow them down a bit if we can. They're not as strong when not in transition. They move the basketball extremely well, and look to put it inside to the big men to kick out often.

Keeping Colorado inside the arc is going to be key to our success. I don't think this will mean we'll be able to contain them, but we just need to lower their point totals to give our offense a chance. I think if we can hold them to 8 3's or less, we can have a chance.

Offensively, I think running through Quinn is our best chance. He has a slight height and mobility advantage, but Lampkin, their Center, is an absolute unit of a man. Let's see what he's made of and work the basketball around if there's nothing there. Colorado cuts a lot in their offensive sets, so they'll be ready for that from us. Our inconsistent shooters have to have a consistent day to pull a shocker in Daytona.

Reactions: urfan1
OK not good numbers to face. Our help defense has left shooters open so far this year, even the guy from VMI lit it up. Could be trouble.

Not feeling very good about this one at all. I hope I'm surprised. Feels like 78-59 guys in black. Come on Mooney, a little past magic.

Reactions: MDspider8
Don’t love this lineup with Noyes as a small ball 4. Can maybe get away with it during conference play but not against a team of this caliber.

Spiders shoot and start running the other way, while 3 or 4 Colorado players gather the rebound. Same old same old.

Noyes is just a warm body out there
Huge dissapointment this year so far.

Realized too late this game not on espn + as I don’t get cbs sports network (even tho I have paramount+)

So what am I missing about this barnburner?

Amazing how the refs havent seen one foul against CU but every touch against Spiders is a whistle. It has to even out , right? Probably with 3 minutes left down 12.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT