ADVERTISEMENT

Top 4 finish

I definitely like top 4 with the double bye.
And I just as soon play VCU in the finals and not before...
26-8 gives us a shot at at-large.
Winning out and finishing first is a double edged sword.
2 of UMass, Bonnies, and VCu are likely to be 4 and 5 seed.
But I guess we can’t have Everyone tough on the other side of the bracket.

Reactions: urfan1
I would like to delay another game against VCU as long as possible (especially if someone else could knock them out first). Because losing in the A10 is always annoying and frustrating, as is losing to them. It's so much worse when they are the ones that end our season.

On the other hand, it is that much sweeter when we end theirs.

99.33% chance for the double bye and we're back on top at 60.61% chance of 1-seed.

Dayton actually still has a higher chance of double bye at 99.79% because UMass in the 5th spot has the best shot of still cracking the top 4 from outside and they have the H2H tiebreaker over us, so that's about our only weakness in the race right now.

Big Movement as expected in seed probabilities. Still hope Goldilocks occurs and Dayton/VCU end up 2 & 3.

Double bye locked in as we already knew, and our chances for the 1-seed have inched up to 65%. Loyola has also locked in the double bye, while Dayton has too for all intents and purposes. VCU is at ~88% chance for the final slot.

So, if we win the league we get VCU in the semi's. Ugh
Well, they likely play, Bonnie’s, UMass, or GMU first…

Or we could intentionally lose on Saturday, then we get Dayton in semis and VCU in Final. :rolleyes:

CM needs to have Quinn on the block all game if he wants to beat vcu. Force them to double him and then get King and Hunt going. Quinn is taller and significantly outweighs both of their centers. Thats a marchup the favors Richmond if CM will take advantage of it.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
CM needs to have Quinn on the block all game if he wants to beat vcu. Force them to double him and then get King and Hunt going. Quinn is taller and significantly outweighs both of their centers. Thats a marchup the favors Richmond if CM will take advantage of it.
So while I don’t disagree that you want Quinn to create some defensive obligations putting him on the block, it raises the question of how do you run the offense? He’s the guy that you run it through and that’s done out at the top of the key.

Do you think CM ever changes his core strategy? Come on, Man. It works. 60% of the time it works every time.

Yes, yes, and yes. VCU has no match for Quinn on the block. That is our advantage. VCU's advantage is with their taller guards being able to lock down our shorter guards. We of course did the exact opposite in our first game which is largely why we lost. Mooney loves Quinn up top though so I doubt we are going to do this, which is what makes me worried about Saturday is that we will once again play the game right into VCU's strength.

Please dear God, Mooney, feed Quinn in the post. Make VCU double him and if they don't let Quinn use his physical advantage that he has.

Yes, yes, and yes. VCU has no match for Quinn on the block. That is our advantage. VCU's advantage is with their taller guards being able to lock down our shorter guards. We of course did the exact opposite in our first game which is largely why we lost. Mooney loves Quinn up top though so I doubt we are going to do this, which is what makes me worried about Saturday is that we will once again play the game right into VCU's strength.

Please dear God, Mooney, feed Quinn in the post. Make VCU double him and if they don't let Quinn use his physical advantage that he has.
Quinn is big but he's not really a physical low post. he makes the occasional power move, but still usually ends up with a tough baby hook or floater. Walz probably has more of a power game.

Quinn is big but he's not really a physical low post. he makes the occasional power move, but still usually ends up with a tough baby hook or floater. Walz probably has more of a power game.
True but when we feed Quinn in the post it opens up our offense. Either teams double him or he gets a fairly high percentage shot.

True but when we feed Quinn in the post it opens up our offense. Either teams double him or he gets a fairly high percentage shot.
defensively, I don't double him. I'd want him taking those shots. his TS% is way below Dji, Jordan and Isaiah.

Reactions: GKiller
Dji assumed the up top distributor role when we went small one game earlier in the season. Why not again, but with Quinn in down low?
could do that. changes the offense. not sure you get as much from Dji there though.

it's not like Neal is always top of the key. he moves around.

our offense works pretty well as is. I get we haven't done well against VCU and fans are looking to change things up. I think if we do what we do and do it well we'll be fine.

I think if we do what we do and do it well we'll be fine

Well it didn't work last time against vcu because they have bigger guards that were able to make someone other than King beat them (Nelso aside). Meanwhile, Quinn was hanging out between the foul and 3 point line. Hoping it will work this time is not a strategy that leads to wins.

Well it didn't work last time against vcu because they have bigger guards that were able to make someone other than King beat them (Nelso aside). Meanwhile, Quinn was hanging out between the foul and 3 point line. Hoping it will work this time is not a strategy that leads to wins.
we shot a horrible 35% from the floor and 16% from 3. we're usually much better than that running things as we do. I'm willing to bet we do much better against them at home on a different day. I wouldn't scrap what's worked all year because it doesn't work one day.

we shot a horrible 35% from the floor and 16% from 3. we're usually much better than that running things as we do. I'm willing to bet we do much better against them at home on a different day. I wouldn't scrap what's worked all year because it doesn't work one day.

It’s a little harder to change your offense dna so agree w u for most part. Little easier to mix things up defensively imo…throwing doubles, playing hedge differently switch no switch etc. but u do need to be ready to adjust on fly both ways.

To me our issue vs vcu is more mental and how Mooney prepares. Obv I don’t have inside info on that from practice or locker room but my view from observing a lot.

And then our lack of success makes our sphincters tighten up in game.

The consensus after vcu loss was we’d have no trouble in rematch and should blow their doors off. Not my view as we’ve beat them badly I think twice in 33 games and only 8 total.

vcu always over-defends us. Shouldn't be too difficult to put in some plays that counteract that, since we all know it's coming. Otherwise, we won't get any open threes.

I think the game hinges on whether UR plays aggressively on offense. Lately, it’s been easier to tell what kind of game we’re getting based on UR’s first few offensive possessions. If Quinn gets going early, it’s a great sign. If the shot clock winds down under 5 and UR starts 0-3 by the 18:00 mark, that’s an entirely different game. Hope we impose and dictate the style and shot attempts rather than take what their defense forces us into.

How much physical advantage does Quinn have over Roosevelt?

He hasn’t done much but seems to be playing more.

i don’t know how Barstow will affect things this time…

It didn’t work against Mass either. That was 2 out of 3 games I believe. We all know CM isn’t going to change anything, and in conference it’s worked well with the athletes we have this year. If we shoot well enough, we should win. But we have little room for error against a team that owns us. And that should piss everyone off. Would love to see us come out of the blocks and play very aggressively.

Reactions: urfan1 and spider23
VCU is lurking if the rest of us slip… they’re 3–0 against the rest of the top 4 with 2 more (us and Dayton) left, so if they can pull into a tie at the top, they likely take the tiebreakers.

I felt like in the game @ VCU, in King's first game there he maybe underestimated VCU's intensity in their house.
I expect a big bounce back game from him at home on Saturday.

I felt like in the game @ VCU, in King's first game there he maybe underestimated VCU's intensity in their house.
I expect a big bounce back game from him at home on Saturday.
I’m hoping for his total 3 point percentage shooting from the Davidson & VCu games to equal his average home 3 point shooting. SF can calculate what he needs…
6 of 10?

If I've understood what you're asking for...

King's home 3PT% is 41.5%. (He's actually better away at 44.4%.)

So yeah, after 2-for-10 against Davidson in his last outing, something like a 5-for-7 or 6-for-9 against VCU would get that two-game stretch up to right around his home average.

If only it worked like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT