ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Mooney Retirement

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
Coach Mooney's 19 years at Richmond makes him the third longest tenured coach in the A10, behind John Chaney and Phil Martelli. Bob Mckillop coached for 33 years. Chris Mooney says he would like to retire from Richmond sometime after his son, a sixth-grader, graduates from college. He is 51 now, and ten years seems too short. One could argue that another 15 or 20 years seems about right.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
come on, this isn't even good trolling. Be better. At least be funny.
haha, thinking the same thing. Not to be disrespectful to a fellow Spider poster ( i would never do that wink wink) but terrible effort. But worse so by JOC maybe :)? Anyway, If he can get this team to the NCAA, I am good with Moon hanging around. If this team does not make it, I am afraid we see the invalidation of the current model and go into a little slide next season. Though I do like our young talent next season - BUT we know experience wins in this portal age.

That article seems to lay to rest any question about who is deciding Mooney's future at UR. It is Mooney and Mooney alone. Hardt is merely a bystander.
? There's no objective read of that article that "lays to rest" that Mooney gets to decide when he retires or resigns from Richmond.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I frequently speak to members of the board of trustee and large donors to the athletic department and there is very strong support for Mooney. I think there is a very good chance he retires as the Spider coach. He has done a terrific job over the past 5 years, including this year.

? There's no objective read of that article that "lays to rest" that Mooney gets to decide when he retires or resigns from Richmond.
The guy is 3 for 18 in NCAA appearances, 0 for 18 A10 regular season titles, 2 for 18 A10 tournament titles, and 8-25 against our arch rival and is still the coach in good standing. With such pathetic results over soon to be 19 years, I don't need an article to tell me he is coach for as long as he wants to be.

I frequently speak to members of the board of trustee and large donors to the athletic department and there is very strong support for Mooney. I think there is a very good chance he retires as the Spider coach. He has done a terrific job over the past 5 years, including this year.
I have no doubt about the support from the board and large donors. I also realize that I'm not going to convince any pro Mooney folks that we can do better. I'm not asking for Final Fours but I'd like to have a Coach who can finish consistently in the Final Four of the A-10...I don't think that's asking too much. Even in our NCAA year a few years ago we beat the odds as a 6 seed (All credit to Coach, staff, players for that run) but in 18 years we have averaged far lower than a top four finish in the A-10 and the league is considerably weaker now. Your first point is the most important though because the folks that make (or refuse to make) the decisions at UR are VERY comfortable with Coach Mooney and he will retire here if he wants to. Admittedly it's a weird time for me to be dying on this hill with this year's team clearly playing well and having a very strong start to the conference season but that's how I feel viewing things through an almost 20 year sample size.

The guy is 3 for 18 in NCAA appearances, 0 for 18 A10 regular season titles, 2 for 18 A10 tournament titles, and 8-25 against our arch rival and is still the coach in good standing. With such pathetic results over soon to be 19 years, I don't need an article to tell me he is coach for as long as he wants to be.
Let me be more clear: I'm not arguing the underlying point. I'm arguing the assertion that this article 'lays to rest" the underlying point. It does not.

come on, this isn't even good trolling. Be better. At least be funny.
I am not saying it was a good article by the RTD. I merely wanted to share it with the rest of you. Most of you have better sense than to pay for content from the Times Disgrace. Afterall, I only paid $1 for three months for click-bait.

For the record, Coach Mooney deserves to receive the A-10 Coach of the Year this year. Depending on how the team does, he should be in conversation for the NCAA Coach of the Year.

For the record, Coach Mooney deserves to receive the A-10 Coach of the Year this year. Depending on how the team does, he should be in conversation for the NCAA Coach of the Year.
Come back after the next 9 games. At this point, I agree. There's still a ways to go however.

Let me be more clear: I'm not arguing the underlying point. I'm arguing the assertion that this article 'lays to rest" the underlying point. It does not.
The whole focus of the article is about when he may "choose" to no longer be coach at Richmond. There's no consideration given to the idea that someone else might ever decide when that time comes.

Reactions: fatherspider
As long as he continues along this path and stat line the BOT and large donors will like him even more. Who can argue with mediocrity? It’s a winner.

The BOT and supposed large donors run contrary to what is taught in our own business school.

Thats exactly how I read it. Its suggests unlimited job security.
Absolutely it does. Hardt is the AD in name only, he literally has zero say so over the hiring and firing of our most important coaches. Hardt seems to be in the paycheck collecting mode as he gets ready for his own retirement but you would think most AD's would be pretty pissed if a coach came out and said they have control over decisions that are ultimately in the hands of the AD.

I'm sure right now there is. But in most places, that is the case when you are winning and that sentiment can turn quickly if the winning stops. We appear to not be most cases, but yes, I would suspect that BOT/donors are happy with Mooney at present. If he rolls out a 10 win season next year, that sentiment might be a bit different though.

Reactions: spider23
Absolutely it does. Hardt is the AD in name only, he literally has zero say so over the hiring and firing of our most important coaches. Hardt seems to be in the paycheck collecting mode as he gets ready for his own retirement but you would think most AD's would be pretty pissed if a coach came out and said they have control over decisions that are ultimately in the hands of the AD.

sign of an AD with no sense of pride in the duties of the job

I'm sure right now there is. But in most places, that is the case when you are winning and that sentiment can turn quickly if the winning stops. We appear to not be most cases, but yes, I would suspect that BOT/donors are happy with Mooney at present. If he rolls out a 10 win season next year, that sentiment might be a bit different though.
2 seasons - 2017 & 2018 we had back to back 20 losses. What did the BOT/donors think? Same coach then. Same coach now. Same coach until HE decides to retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spider B

By my count, we've won 1 game as an underdog.

Let me say it again - this years Spiders will finish in the top 3 of the A10. We are currently in bubble conversations. We have a potential A10 POY candidate in King. My prediction - King just barely loses POY to Dayton Holmes, but still makes first team. Mooney wins Coach of the year for taking 11th predicted team to NCAA bubble. This team is one of the last four out and plays in NIT. But with the Coach of Year - Mooney is around for life. I think he sticks around till his kid gets into college, but good chance he ends up at UR and Mooney coaches 4 more years, and he sticks around to become all time A10 leader in wins.

Robins Center
Tarrant Court
Head Coach Job will be named after Chris Mooney.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT