ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney temporarily stepping away due to heart issue

Heart issues are a serious and scary thing. My younger brother was born with a hole in his heart, and the delivery process nearly killed him and our mom. Both had to stay in the hospital for over a month and doctors didn’t expect both to make it. He still deals with it today, can’t play sports (although he always hated sports anyways - so that one worked out) and out of the blue will have his beat get out of sync and struggle for breath.

Good luck to Chris Mooney in his treatment here. Basketball is supposed to be fun, it isn’t worth harming and risking your long-term health for. Take the next 7 months to see what your options are for treating, managing, and figuring out the best way to live your life while accommodating your heart. When it goes there’s no Plan B.

for all my criticisms of his professional performance, I certainly hope he is okay and his health stable. Hoping for a full, speedy recovery of whatever the issue.
Agree. Very unexpected news. Hopefully it is not too serious, though it seems like it may be if causing him to step away.

Hopefully Boyden can step in and lead us to about 9-11 wins in a row and ease Coach Mooney's mind and stress. I do know stress is not good for the heart.

Me and Chris have had our differences, but I would never pray or wish for something like this. Get well soon Chris!

Agree. Very unexpected news. Hopefully it is not too serious, though it seems like it may be if causing him to step away.

Hopefully Boyden can step in and lead us to about 9-11 wins in a row and ease Coach Mooney's mind and stress. I do know stress is not good for the heart.

Wow. Hope ok. Idk it might be the Giper. He has most longevity on staff tho first year assistant like the others. Not sure who is considered the top assistant. Tough situation. If Mooney out for a while that hurts recruiting too but definitely gotta take care of health first.

Reactions: urfan1
Expected to be out 4–8 weeks for recovery.

"I want to thank Richmond Athletics leadership, my coaching staff, and our players for doing everything they can to make a difficult situation a little bit easier," said Mooney. "I'm grateful to have a tremendous medical team to rely on, and I'm thankful to have the opportunity to fully focus on my health for the next few weeks. During that time, I'm confident that Peter Thomas, the rest of our coaches, and our players will rise to the challenge and have a successful end to the season."

I am not a doctor and will trust his, but I'm surprised this is something that would not demand immediate surgery. Aneurysms are sort of ticking time bombs, so I assume it is something of a good sign that they are able to wait a few days before doing the surgery.

I don’t guess Peter will be allowed to do anything different, but maybe.

All the best coach! So glad to hear when something is caught before it is too late. All scary stuff when it comes to the heart. Know from personal experience how difficult it can be to find out from after an incident happens. We’re all rooting for you!

Scary indeed. My otherwise healthy mother died of an aortic aneurysm at the young age of 60, the morning that she was suppose to go to the hospital for surgery. One year later, her sister died of the same thing. Best to get it done as soon as possible, to the relief of your family and all of Spidernation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT