ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Shine, Noyes

I think the issue with Roche, is that he is not a ball handler (at least wasn't at all last year) - so he is going to have to play with a minimum of two other ball handlers - that can be two other guards or a guard/wing (if that will be where Dji winds up).

Thanks. Walz was starting to get some minutes mid season before his ankle injury, so maybe he wasn't ready early on when Grace was injured but was seeing some minutes as the season progressed before his injury.
Walz saw more then 4 minutes in a game 3 times all season. twice were in 30 point blowouts. the 3rd was against Loyola Chicago when Quinn played 12 minutes before rolling his ankle.

clearly Mooney didn't think he was ready for primetime last year. we'll see if he's ready now, or if Soulis quickly passes him. because I don't think Neal's a 30+ mpg guy.

I think the issue with Roche, is that he is not a ball handler (at least wasn't at all last year) - so he is going to have to play with a minimum of two other ball handlers - that can be two other guards or a guard/wing (if that will be where Dji winds up).
agreed, I don't think Roche OR Noyes qualify as ball handlers. Tanner is TBD.

we weren't strong at the point last year. I think we always needed a 2nd PG type on the floor. maybe we're strong enough at point now to play a shooter at the 2?

doesn't seem CM's style, as he even played 2 PG types when we were strong at the point. but maybe that wasn't by design as much as playing the best players.

agreed, I don't think Roche OR Noyes qualify as ball handlers. Tanner is TBD.

we weren't strong at the point last year. I think we always needed a 2nd PG type on the floor. maybe we're strong enough at point now to play a shooter at the 2?

doesn't seem CM's style, as he even played 2 PG types when we were strong at the point. but maybe that wasn't by design as much as playing the best players.
I think it is definitely more of a best players play thing. We have had success recruiting small, PG types over the years and playing 2 of them together has made a lot of sense. And, sure, having a couple PGs out there is great, but we did more than fine in 2010 and 2011 with Gonzo and Brothers playing with KA. If we had a Gonzo or Brothers on this team, no question they would be starting with King.

Reactions: spiderman
Just speaking honestly - Noyes and Walz each played about 4 minutes a game last year and only appeared in 12-13 games. And that was on a team that finished 15-18. In our good years we have never really players make that kind of jump from one year to the next. So while I would love to be optimistic and think they are both going to make significant progress this year, and they should have the opportunity to do so - just not sure its realistic given the history under Mooney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT