ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney on #Coach4Life: "I don't count on it, but I'd certainly love to be in that position."

Ways to go to catch up with the tenure of Frederic W. Boatwright who was president of then Richmond College for 51 years. Will he do it?

Jim Phelan holds the record for longest tenure at one school. Phelan coached at Mount St. Mary's for 49 years.

Yes NCAA Tournament at least once every three years, NIT 75% of the time in the years we don't make the Dance....no reason with all the money, facilities, and fan support not to have at least that...................

Mooney podcast appearance...between the host's audio quality and how quickly he talks, I find the host hard to follow, but Mooney is clear. Pretty much the usual talking points.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Nice article....a feel good piece. I would love to see him be coach for life, if the gains we saw last year continue to manifest themselves.
If we make the tourney 1 more time in the next 4 years - he is locked in for life. The school will be happy with the results, and he will be able to stay as long as he wants. Not sure how old his sons are - but maybe a goal - if they play basketball like Dad, would be to coach his sons one day. Or maybe he retires once the hit HS level so he can spend more time watching them and being around them.

If we make the tourney 1 more time in the next 4 years - he is locked in for life. The school will be happy with the results, and he will be able to stay as long as he wants. Not sure how old his sons are - but maybe a goal - if they play basketball like Dad, would be to coach his sons one day. Or maybe he retires once the hit HS level so he can spend more time watching them and being around them.
"If we make the tourney 1 more time in the next 4 years - he is locked in for life."

If we don't make the tourney 1 more time in the next 4 years - he's still probably locked in for life. 11 years in between tourney bids tells us that.

Another Mooney podcast appearance. Seems likely to mostly be his origin story with the wedding planner stuff we've all heard before, but I'll have to wait until later to give it a listen.

Another Mooney podcast appearance. Seems likely to mostly be his origin story with the wedding planner stuff we've all heard before, but I'll have to wait until later to give it a listen.

I didn’t know much about Mooney’s early coaching career, so I found this to be a worthwhile listen. The conversation stopped with his getting promoted to head coach at Air Force which was his Div 1 coaching origin, but it struck me as odd that there was barely a mention of his current position other than in the intro.

I didn’t know much about Mooney’s early coaching career, so I found this to be a worthwhile listen. The conversation stopped with his getting promoted to head coach at Air Force which was his Div 1 coaching origin, but it struck me as odd that there was barely a mention of his current position other than in the intro.
Yeah I think they just must have run out of time - with all of the details about the culture at AF and getting the job, I'm sure it was a tough conversation with he let the AF AD know he was moving on but clearly he made the right decision.

Interesting to note - Air Force has returned to its Princeton roots again. Current coach is Joe Scott - who I believe may have been the head coach or close to it when Mooney was there. He then left for Princeton and now has returned back to the Academy.

Interesting to note - Air Force has returned to its Princeton roots again. Current coach is Joe Scott - who I believe may have been the head coach or close to it when Mooney was there. He then left for Princeton and now has returned back to the Academy.
Thanks - didn't realize this - yes in podcast, Chris talked about his good of a culture Joe had established at AF before we left in 2004 for Princeton.

Scott
Air Force 2000-2004
Princeton 2005-2007
Denver 2008-2016
Air Force 2021 to ?

Air Force is probably a good place for the traditional Princeton system. Simply because - it is very difficult to recruit anyone to the Air Force. They have to want to come there in the first place, and be able to handle it - and then your just hoping they are good at basketball.

But slow down the pace, keep games close, and try to get some guys who can shoot and pass - you got a chance for some upset.

Air Force is probably a good place for the traditional Princeton system. Simply because - it is very difficult to recruit anyone to the Air Force. They have to want to come there in the first place, and be able to handle it - and then your just hoping they are good at basketball.

But slow down the pace, keep games close, and try to get some guys who can shoot and pass - you got a chance for some upset.
agreed. same restraints as at Army and Navy. still, as a coach you're expected to win. gotta find kids who want that life and career.

agreed. same restraints as at Army and Navy. still, as a coach you're expected to win. gotta find kids who want that life and career.
So all three service academies don't find 5 David Robinson's each year?

So all three service academies don't find 5 David Robinson's each year?
supposedly Robinson was 5'9" going into his HS junior year and then grew 10" in one year and another 6" in college.
some of the great late growth stories are here (so there's hope for all of us!):

supposedly Robinson was 5'9" going into his HS junior year and then grew 10" in one year and another 6" in college.
some of the great late growth stories are here (so there's hope for all of us!):
Knew about Robinson's second growth spurt. I believe the Naval Academy maintained the same standards for entry as the Navy (including athletes). 4'9" to 6'8". So they had a difficult time getting large centers.

Didn't know Lamar Odom had most of his growth spurt in college instead of High School.

No, there is not "hope for all of us" . At a certain age, you start shrinking as your vertebrae compress with age. Don't know this for sure, but a friend told me so. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT