ADVERTISEMENT

It's not 'business as usual' with Richmond and CAA Football

Is there an FBS conference that would consider us?

Thought this might be best place to put this info:

JMU football will face Air Force in the first bowl game in program history, it was reported Sunday. The Dukes and Falcons will meet on Dec. 23 in the Armed Forces Bowl at 3:30 p.m. ET. The game takes place in Fort Worth, Texas

Is there an FBS conference that would consider us?
UR in Fbs is a non starter..too costly and would require cutting more mens sports or adding more women's...besides we would need a stadium of 25k plus and we can't even fill ours as is....let's become a FCS top 5 perennial team and revisit...I think UD in FBS will be a bust..they couldn't even win the CAA consistently

Not advocating, I think fcs is best for us now, just aske the question. I thought they eliminated the stadium size/attendance requirements.

Not advocating, I think fcs is best for us now, just aske the question. I thought they eliminated the stadium size/attendance requirements.
I see...honestly I'm making an assumption that we would need a bigger stadium if only to generate more $$ to support the huge annual cash outlay associated with travel for non revenue sports

Additional TV money would help. My dream would be we improve basketball and baseball enough the Big East would want us for those plus Lacrosse.

SoCon makes sense for UR, Elon, and W/M. It also makes sense for the SoCon. Those three programs certainly improve SoCon Football. It immediately becomes the best FCS conference on the east coast. And if your are Elon and W/M, the SoCon is a better basketball league than the CAA. I would love to see it happen.

Thought this might be best place to put this info:

JMU football will face Air Force in the first bowl game in program history, it was reported Sunday. The Dukes and Falcons will meet on Dec. 23 in the Armed Forces Bowl at 3:30 p.m. ET. The game takes place in Fort Worth, Texas

All the more reason to hope the pukes lose, I always cheer for the service academys.

The CAA is an outstanding football conference. The core of the CAA is Villanova, UNH, UR, and W&M. Obviously, the CAA knew Delaware was leaving. The league acted to counter future losses. The addition of A&T and Campbell help the conference. A&T has a strong program. Campbell is like JMU- it has a lot of FBS transfers. Both schools will be formidable opponents.

We made the strategic decision in 1984 to compete in 1AA, in the old Yankee Conference. UR is not built for FBS competition.

Nova can’t be happy either.

UR and WM are usually joined at the hip when it comes to football conference affiliation.Although WM is a CAA full member.

Maybe A10 football gets resurrected.

You need a minimum of 6 schools to form a conference.

even though they should, I don't see UMass or UConn dropping to fcs. Maybe UR, Nova, Elon, Towson and stretch W&M.

Never great when you have to say you’re being reactive rather than proactive. But asleep at the wheel does seem like the right way to describe UR’s leadership on athletics over the past 5 years

UMass,UConn,Nova,URI,UR for starters.
Add W&M (football), Albany, Maine, New Hampshire, that guts CAA football. Plus Fordham (football).

That gives us 8 without ConnU and UMASS. Nova, Maine, New Hampshire, Richmond and W&M are all perennial fixtures in FCS football.

W&M is hindered by its basketball team.

Although I would prefer that we keep the CAA together.

ETSU's AD: "We're very committed to expansion in the SoCon. I think us and probably Chattanooga are very committed to trying to be aggressive and move this conference forward. Unfortunately there are some members of [the SoCon] that really just want to remain status quo."

Also from ETSU's AD (Richard Sander): "The SoCon is the only conference in the country that limits Cost of Attendance. So we can only provide 28 student-athletes COA...we're limited as to the [league's] cap...that's $2000. Well, our [actual] cost of attendance at ETSU is $6900. When we're recruiting against, pick somebody in basketball...Western Kentucky or College of Charleston, they're giving [players] total cost of attendance and we think in that kind of situation we think [the league rules] are creating a real difficult situation for us."

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
ETSU's AD: "We're very committed to expansion in the SoCon. I think us and probably Chattanooga are very committed to trying to be aggressive and move this conference forward. Unfortunately there are some members of [the SoCon] that really just want to remain status quo."

Also from ETSU's AD (Richard Sander): "The SoCon is the only conference in the country that limits Cost of Attendance. So we can only provide 28 student-athletes COA...we're limited as to the [league's] cap...that's $2000. Well, our [actual] cost of attendance at ETSU is $6900. When we're recruiting against, pick somebody in basketball...Western Kentucky or College of Charleston, they're giving [players] total cost of attendance and we think in that kind of situation we think [the league rules] are creating a real difficult situation for us."

You left out:

• Wow
Reactions: Mo 2.0
Don't believe SoCon has ever done associate members for football. IF (big if) W&M and Elon jump back to the SoCon for all sports, that gives them 12 schools overall and 11 with football, assuming no departures.

We'd be attractive from a quality standpoint, but they wouldn't NEED to add us. If we're left out of that, obviously another big hit to the CAA in general and us in particular.

• Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider

Didn't know Sander was still in college athletics.

Time to break away and rekindle A10 Football.Bye Bye FloSports.

Joe CAA Commish added teams to bring in $$$$ for FloSports-exclusive provider of
all CAA sports.

Atlantic 10 Announces Media Rights Agreements with CBS Sports, ESPN, and NBC Sports - Atlantic 10

Last edited:
Additional TV money would help. My dream would be we improve basketball and baseball enough the Big East would want us for those plus Lacrosse.
The only reason they would want us for baseball is to have a warmer port in the spring.
Time to break away and rekindle A10 Football.Bye Bye FloSports.

Joe CAA Commish added teams to bring in $$$$ for FloSports-exclusive provider of
all CAA sports.

Atlantic 10 Announces Media Rights Agreements with CBS Sports, ESPN, and NBC Sports - Atlantic 10

That’s a big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT