ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney temporarily stepping away due to heart issue

Looks like he is in good hands- Godspeed!

About Leo M. Gazoni, MD​

Biography​

Dr. Leo Gazoni attended the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, for his undergraduate degree, and attained his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville, Virginia. He went on to complete his General Surgery residency at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, where he served as Chief Resident, and his Cardiothoracic Surgery fellowship at University of Virginia Health System.

During his time at the University of Virginia, Dr. Gazoni won multiple awards including the University of Virginia Department of Surgery Award for Academic Achievement, The Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award, and the R. Scott Jones Award in Surgery. At the 2007 Association of Thoracic Surgery meeting, he was the winner of the C. Walton Lillehei Research Competition, and he has been published many times over in both books and peer-reviewed journals.

Dr. Gazoni is multilingual, speaking both Spanish and Portuguese, in addition to English. His professional interests include Adult Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Left Ventricular Assist Devices, and Robotic Thoracic Surgery. He is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is currently welcoming new patients and referrals.
Close Bio keyboard_arrow_up

Procedures and Conditions Treated​

Reactions: urfan1 and Ram Bal
That's not the surgeon who will be performing his surgery, it's just a good friend of his here, he said.

God bless Coach Mooney - praying for a successful surgery and complete healing. Thank the good Lord this was detected and can be corrected. We lost a church member 18 months ago with a similar issue that had not been detected. We look forward to seeing Coach Mooney back on the Court this Spring! God speed Coach!

Any of you on here that are over 40 with a family history should get the calcium CT scan he got. I have family history and got one and had a score of 0 which is good. A friend of mine who’s a little older got one and they found 80% blockage, basically a widow maker. I got mine done for $60 and it took all of 5 minutes. Not invasive or anything.

Any of you on here that are over 40 with a family history should get the calcium CT scan he got. I have family history and got one and had a score of 0 which is good. A friend of mine who’s a little older got one and they found 80% blockage, basically a widow maker. I got mine done for $60 and it took all of 5 minutes. Not invasive or anything.
agreed - had one done last fall as well .. prayers for Chris, his wife, and two sons.

Last edited:
Thanks 13, I am wondering why the hell this is not common practice?? Listening to the presser now. Going to look into this ASAP.

Thanks 13, I am wondering why the hell this is not common practice?? Listening to the presser now. Going to look into this ASAP.
insurance doesn't cover it or at least my self-employed policy didn't which may the reason why not standard.

Reactions: spiders13
insurance doesn't cover it or at least my self-employed policy didn't which may the reason why not standard.
Figured as much. Going to ask about this. Turned 50 couple years ago. A good friend of mine told me your chances of heart attack go way down in your 50's, and subsequently have heard of numerous folks dropping dead in their early 50's.

Wow, he has been coaching for a month with this! Crazy. Wishing the best, and we see him back at it soon.

Good luck to Peter, hope he and the other coaches finish the season strong and rally around Mooney.

Wish Coach Mooney a quick recovery!
Surgery for aortic aneurysm.
First thing my wife said was issue same that caused John Ritter's death. Good memory but not quite right.

Ritter was initially treated by emergency room physicians for a heart attack; however, his condition quickly worsened. Ritter was then diagnosed with aortic dissection and was taken into surgery but he was pronounced dead at 10:48 p.m. He was 54.

How can you tell the difference between an aortic dissection and an aneurysm?
Develop the definitions for aneurysm and dissection to include: An aneurysm is a bulge in the aorta or a peripheral artery. A dissection of the aorta or its branches occurs when the inner lining of the artery is “torn” and begins to separate from the rest of the arterial wall.

Anyway you look at it some serious stuff. Thank God it was diagnosed in time.

Regardless of what you might think about his coaching skills Chris is a good representative of the University, and he cares about his players and they care about him.

Having been through a major health setback in the last year, now mostly recovered I can say with certainty this will change Chris.

My prayers, thoughts and hopes are with you Coach, as well as with your family and those that love you. You are a Good Man, God Speed!

I know this will make you unhappy k but I identify as a human being. Go Spiders except for next Friday night!
While I have a fantasy of Mooney having a “Willis Reed“ moment next Friday…

Does anyone have the link for Bob Black's radio show from Friday afternoon? (He was going to be talking more about this). The most recent episode I can find is from 2/16.

Spider K is not known to be kind or appropriate. While hopefully everyone else is focused on Mooney's health and his family, he had to get another jab in at Mooney.
There was nothing in his comment that was inappropriate unkind or disrespectful. All you greater than thou posters need to chill. Coach Mooney is in good hands. No one on this board has any influence over his health. A small comment about his temporary replacement is not insensitive in the least on a Richmond Spiders Sport forum. We are Richmond Spider fans.

Reactions: SpiderK
I admit I am a Ram fan but this is neither a kind or appropriate comment. The team and program will be just fine. All thoughts should be on Coach M.
Yes, they should be and I think they are on CM. Nobody should be wishing any harm on CM, but I can't agree with the program being fine. From your end yes it will, you'll continue to slap Richmond twice a year as usual, but the program is falling to the ground for us Richmond fans and has been for awhile now. At least you'll enjoy Richmond hoops as you'll continue to see losses.

Last edited:
Yes, they should be and I think they are on CM. Nobody should be wishing any harm on CM but since I can't agree with the program being fine. From your end yes it will, you'll continue to slap Richmond twice a year as usual, but no the program is falling to the ground for us Richmond fans and has been for awhile now. At least you'll enjoy Richmond hoops as you'll continue to see losses.
Remember that all dogs (rams) will have their day!

Reactions: Ram Bal
Does anyone know when the surgery was scheduled to happen? I would assume yesterday or today hopefully.

Saw that... Honestly crazy to me. If I were him I'd have wanted this thing done a month ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT