ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Salaries in Virginia

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
This article is interesting. According to the Times Dispatch, the salaries paid for basketball coaches are

#1, UVA Tony Bennett $4 million in 2023
#2 VT Mike Young is set to make $2.75 M in 2024
#3, UR Chris Mooney made $2.68 million in 2022 (the highest in the A10)
#4, VCU: Ryan Odom $1.7 million in 2024
#5, Liberty: Ritchie McKay 1,368,036
#6, Mason, Tony Skinn 975,000
#7 JMU: Mark Byington, 612,000

In the A10,
#1, UR Chris Mooney made $2.68 million in 2022 (the highest in the A10)
#2, SLU: travis Ford, 2,477,321
#3 Dayton: Anthony Grant, 2,251,326
#4 VCU: Ryan Odom $1.7 million in 2024

#8 Bona, Mark Schmidt 1,069,819
#9 Davidson: Matt McKillop, 1,016,564

Public Schools information was obtained through Open Records requests. Private schools came from the 990.

getting from good source does include deferred money

All I know that is that I want Mooney's agent. How he was able to parlay 10 years on zero NCAA's, not only into keeping his client employed but to make him the highest paid coach in the league. Pretty impressive negotiating. Apparently, we employ the ancestors of the French negotiators for the Louisiana purchase.

All I know that is that I want Mooney's agent. How he was able to parlay 10 years on zero NCAA's, not only into keeping his client employed but to make him the highest paid coach in the league. Pretty impressive negotiating. Apparently, we employ the ancestors of the French negotiators for the Louisiana purchase.
There is not much one can say about this.

Gotta pay him the big bucks otherwise some P5 will swoop in and steal him, right?

It's like that country song: "Friends in High Places"

Reactions: spider fan
The AD that many here praise got played. Hard to blame Mooney for taking the deal that was offered.

Yeah, Jim Miller was the sucker at the table. Not me.
“He’ll either continue to take us to ncaas or he’ll get poached by another program who’ll pay us for our next coach. As long as he keeps winning. Nothing can go wrong now.”

Jim Miller

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT