ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Shine, Noyes

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
JOC piece on Noyes and expectations of a bigger role this year. Some quotes from him.

“Tyler’s my guy. I didn’t want to see him go, but he’s got to do what’s best for him,” said Noyes. “In terms of my time being here, I feel like this is going to be a big year. I’ve been putting a ton of work into my game and my body. I really feel like I’m ready to make that next big jump here at Richmond.
“So I’m really excited and I’m ready to go.”

“I was very confident going into that game because I’m very confident in my ability and I’ve never really not had confidence in myself,” said Noyes, who converted four of his seven 3-point shots last season. “But going out there (at Saint Joseph’s) and doing pretty well showed me that I belong out there and I can be successful out there.” [...]

“It’s not exactly a simple system the way we run things here,” Noyes said. “So I think for me it took a little bit longer just to kind of get used to the flow of how we do things, specifically on offense.”

“I definitely would not say this is a rebuilding year,” said Noyes. “We’ve got a lot of guys that have played a lot of years of college basketball. I think in the weeks that we’ve played together, I feel like we’ve jelled really well together and I really like the pieces that we’ve added.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what this team can do.”

giphy.gif

I agree with Noyes about this not being a rebuilding year. We will still be at the architect’s office and getting building permits for another few years.

Hopefully he can step right in and average 20 points a game, our two transfer guards will average 12 or so each, Roche will lead the nation in three-point shooting and Quinn will play confidently. If that happens, we stand a good chance to finish at least 7th or 8th in the league.

I remain confident that this year's team will be better because of better guard play. How much better, depends upon how well the maestro puts the pieces together and plays the symphony. This is where my red flags and major ???'s come in. We shall see.

I've been calling for more Noyes for 2-years. Hope he is ready to make it happen.

It's everything you wanted to hear about and from Noyes. Getting bigger. Ready for big role. Working on his game. Etc. Now just needs to do it on the court this year.

Good article & interview. Minor quiblbes/observations...

10 lbs isn't a lot in 2 years. Not sure that reflects well on strength staff, but some kids it doesn't matter just genetics and weight gain/loss is not easy whatever u do. Wiry can still work for Noyes.

Another player stating complexity of the offense or defense. Now it can mean it's hard for opponents to figure out but just seems we hear a little too much internally. May need to simplify.

rebuilding? Guess Aidan didn't get the memo on the "transitional" year last year. But when u r coming off one of those, or just coming off 15-18 like we are, u don't then go into a rebuilding year at UR and esp with a 19 year coach. I realize he's only hearing it from somewhere else, but still.

I will say it feels like Noyes does need to be that breakout star for us to really achieve. It's possible, and I'm hopeful, but also a big leap to make all of a sudden after not playing virtually for 2 years. If he were to make such a leap u would certainly wonder why basically no minutes last year.

Reactions: Eight Legger
If he were to make such a leap u would certainly wonder why basically no minutes last year.
I don't disagree, but the easy answer is Burton.
he was very good and played a lot of minutes.

Noyes can shoot, he's athletic, and he's long. the ingredients are there.

Yep, if Noyes is a stud this year, there’s no excusing not playing him more last year, even with Burton. And if Nelson goes to vcu and does what we expected him to do here, the combo would call into question a lot with our program.

Reactions: regatw and whampas
Yep, if Noyes is a stud this year, there’s no excusing not playing him more last year, even with Burton. And if Nelson goes to vcu and does what we expected him to do here, the combo would call into question a lot with our program.
So, if Noyes is a stud, instead of nice job developing him, we will hear there was no excuse not playing him last year. And, if he doesn't play well, we will hear how we never develop guys. Either way...........we all know what we will hear every day on here.

Well, let’s see… Mooney himself told us how good he looked before last season started, and the one game he played significant minutes, he looked great. So yeah, if he looks great in extended minutes this year, it’s a pretty fair question, no?

it's really Noyes vs Grace last year.
Burton played over 36 mpg. as it was, Bigs played less than I would have liked. we needed Roche's shooting. so to find time for Noyes I think you'd have to play Grace less at the 4. just use him behind Quinn.

honestly, Grace had a pretty good season. shot 36.5% from 3. scored 8.5 ppg.
but yeah, going forward it would have been nice to get more time for Noyes. and Grace at the 4 wasn't the answer.

I still believe Noyes developed in practice though. I know some here think it only happens in games but he was ready when his number was called.

Reactions: gcarter52
So, if Noyes is a stud, instead of nice job developing him, we will hear there was no excuse not playing him last year. And, if he doesn't play well, we will hear how we never develop guys. Either way...........we all know what we will hear every day on here.
correct, we already know either way what we will hear from you every day as long as your idol is coaching the team. ALL IS WELL!

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
it's really Noyes vs Grace last year.
Burton played over 36 mpg. as it was, Bigs played less than I would have liked. we needed Roche's shooting. so to find time for Noyes I think you'd have to play Grace less at the 4. just use him behind Quinn.

honestly, Grace had a pretty good season. shot 36.5% from 3. scored 8.5 ppg.
but yeah, going forward it would have been nice to get more time for Noyes. and Grace at the 4 wasn't the answer.

I still believe Noyes developed in practice though. I know some here think it only happens in games but he was ready when his number was called.
I’m sure he developed in practice, but if he could have played close to how he played against St. Joe’s even somewhat regularly, he needed to be playing regularly.

I’m sure he developed in practice, but if he could have played close to how he played against St. Joe’s even somewhat regularly, he needed to be playing regularly.
agreed. that was impressive and what we wanted/needed to see. I just think Mooney saw him behind Burton and Roche. never considered him in competition at the bigger forward spot occupied by Grace and Bigs.

both foward spots are wide open this year.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Legit question; if Noyes was so ready to be good against St. Joe's, why wasn't he just as ready for the other 30+ games? It would be ridiculous to assert that Noyes happened to get incredibly lucky and be ready (on that one day only) to perform well during that single game. Nonsense.

It is very obvious that coaching mismanagement is the issue with Noyes development (or lack thereof). How much better will it be this season? Only time will tell. One thing that we can take to the bank - Noyes will likely need some or all of this year to get his sea (game) legs under him. We can't realistically expect a player with almost no previous game time to come out of the gate with 18 & 8 night-after-night.

Better coaches typically bring impact players along intentionally. Mooney has failed to do this with Noyes even though he himself identified Noyes as progressing impressively and being a potential impact player. The fact that Mooney failed to use the last two years intentionally with Noyes is coaching malpractice. Unfortunately, Mooney and the Spiders are likely to feel the pinch of the coach's malfeasance this season.

I HOPE that Noyes is ready to explode onto the scene this year. Common sense and practicality tells me that this is more likely to be an up & down season for him as he gains GAME experience.

I keep coming back to the point that while Mooney is rigid, loyal to some players to a fault, he is not stupid. If Noyes was ready to be a big time impact player last year, he would have played.

So, I hope Noyes is going make a big impact this year, but my expectations are tempered. I do wish though that Mooney would have gotten him more time last year regardless. I agree with not a homer, Mooney did a terrible job last year with roster management, playing 5th year seniors big minutes in a lost season. A semi-literate basketball mind would have known by mid December that last year was a transitional year and adjust according, Hardt and Mooney realized this in their post mortem after the season ended.

Why do we keep beating a dead horse to the ground! I hope you find comfort along the way.
Maybe because the dead horse is rotten & stinking. Until the stench is removed, everyone in nose shot is forced to endure the unpleasant odor. Acting like our nostrils are unable to distinguish the smell is disingenuous at best.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Maybe because the dead horse is rotten & stinking. Until the stench is removed, everyone in nose shot is forced to endure the unpleasant odor. Acting like our nostrils are unable to distinguish the smell is disingenuous at best.
I feel you pain but the rot and unpleaseant order is consuming you heart. This is you right, I understand though.

• Haha
Burton played a gazillion minutes a game and consensus was he could have used a couple small breathers each half. Many people (Moon included) thought Noyes looked good. No reason that those two things could not have meshed into one for a few minutes per game (more some games if things went well, less/zero in others.)

The flow of so many games - falling behind by a lot, etc. - is when Moon really tightens up and just rides 5 or 6 guys for the last 75% of the game. It's part of his risk-averse rigidity and game management issues. Most of the time, he'd rather die by the guys who he plays regularly (even if they're stinking it up) than die trying something new. The NCAA game where UR went big with Burton at the 2 for a stretch was like a revelation to watch because it was so unexpected.. Goose was in foul trouble though, and Wilson and Dji were barely in or totally out of the rotation at that point, so his hand was forced a bit.

I agree with not a homer, Mooney did a terrible job last year with roster management, playing 5th year seniors big minutes in a lost season. A semi-literate basketball mind would have known by mid December that last year was a transitional year and adjust according, Hardt and Mooney realized this in their post mortem after the season ended.
As I have said in other threads, the issue was team chemistry and identity. There was neither last year and that is at least part of why UR lost so many players to transfer in my opinion. I agree that from a pure talent perspective the Spiders didn’t lose a ton (Burton being an exception) but the team did lose a bunch of years in Mooney’s system. Thus, there isn’t really anything to rally around as a foundation and so we are back to another transition year. Hopefully something changes this year, but there will be lots of pieces to replace again since all the tranfers will be out of eligibility other than Roche. To top it all off, Roche isn’t even playing yet due to undisclosed surgery - at least I haven’t seen any mention of it.

I am excited to see “the Noyes” on the court and it will also be interesting to see what the freshman can bring to the table.

I keep coming back to the point that while Mooney is rigid, loyal to some players to a fault, he is not stupid. If Noyes was ready to be a big time impact player last year, he would have played.

So, I hope Noyes is going make a big impact this year, but my expectations are tempered. I do wish though that Mooney would have gotten him more time last year regardless. I agree with not a homer, Mooney did a terrible job last year with roster management, playing 5th year seniors big minutes in a lost season. A semi-literate basketball mind would have known by mid December that last year was a transitional year and adjust according, Hardt and Mooney realized this in their post mortem after the season ended.
Mooney isn't stupid, he just has no basketball IQ. He's the only coach that calls timeouts late in games when the team is on a run, ended up losing leads to Charleston and La Salle

Legit question; if Noyes was so ready to be good against St. Joe's, why wasn't he just as ready for the other 30+ games? It would be ridiculous to assert that Noyes happened to get incredibly lucky and be ready (on that one day only) to perform well during that single game. Nonsense.

It is very obvious that coaching mismanagement is the issue with Noyes development (or lack thereof). How much better will it be this season? Only time will tell. One thing that we can take to the bank - Noyes will likely need some or all of this year to get his sea (game) legs under him. We can't realistically expect a player with almost no previous game time to come out of the gate with 18 & 8 night-after-night.

Better coaches typically bring impact players along intentionally. Mooney has failed to do this with Noyes even though he himself identified Noyes as progressing impressively and being a potential impact player. The fact that Mooney failed to use the last two years intentionally with Noyes is coaching malpractice. Unfortunately, Mooney and the Spiders are likely to feel the pinch of the coach's malfeasance this season.

I HOPE that Noyes is ready to explode onto the scene this year. Common sense and practicality tells me that this is more likely to be an up & down season for him as he gains GAME experience.
I think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. I’m hopeful noyes exceeds expectations, but the reality is he likely didn’t get the minutes last year as he was not better than the players in front of him.

There’s so many other reason to criticize Mooney; I’ll save mine to the ones that I can actually observe and have an opinion on.

Defense is the 🔑 for Noyes pt.
OF COURSE a player needs to play decent defense, no argument.

But, in the Mooney world, this talking point often doesn't play out as true. Very few of Mooney's players for the last 18-years have been really good defensive players. Some a little better than others, sure, but no-one other than Dobbins who really stands out. That is a pretty clear indicator that defense isn't the key to getting floor time under Mooney.

Burton is a recent example. Defense was clearly not the key to his playing time (especially early in his career). Nelson is another recent example. He played exceptionally poor defense and yet he was on the floor a ton, AND he was given the key to the car. If you flip the coin, Dji Bailey is a contradictory example of the often stated excuse. Bailey is one of the better defenders of the Mooney era, yet he has struggled to get time on the floor. The list could go on & on.

Noyes needs to play acceptable defense, yes. And, if he doesn't play much, that will likely be the excuse. But, based on Mooney history, I wouldn't say it is a legitimate claim.

Fwiw Noyes indicated picking up the O was hard.

Dobbins wasn’t a Mooney era player. He was Beilein then Wainwright.

Best defensive players under Mooney have been Garrett & Goose.

Fwiw Noyes indicated picking up the O was hard.

Dobbins wasn’t a Mooney era player. He was Beilein then Wainwright.

Best defensive players under Mooney have been Garrett & Goose.
You are right, thanks for the correction

OF COURSE a player needs to play decent defense, no argument.

But, in the Mooney world, this talking point often doesn't play out as true. Very few of Mooney's players for the last 18-years have been really good defensive players. Some a little better than others, sure, but no-one other than Dobbins who really stands out. That is a pretty clear indicator that defense isn't the key to getting floor time under Mooney.

Burton is a recent example. Defense was clearly not the key to his playing time (especially early in his career). Nelson is another recent example. He played exceptionally poor defense and yet he was on the floor a ton, AND he was given the key to the car. If you flip the coin, Dji Bailey is a contradictory example of the often stated excuse. Bailey is one of the better defenders of the Mooney era, yet he has struggled to get time on the floor. The list could go on & on.

Noyes needs to play acceptable defense, yes. And, if he doesn't play much, that will likely be the excuse. But, based on Mooney history, I wouldn't say it is a legitimate claim.
stuggled to get on the floor? How about stop getting hurt? HE WAS given the keys to the car and what did he do w/ it? zilch,

I know its taboo to criticize sons or posters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT