ADVERTISEMENT

Burton going through draft process again, no decision on returning to UR

Tomorrow (5/11) is actually the last day that players can enter the portal. I bet there will be some interesting last-minute additions, but starting on Friday the number of players in the portal will only begin to decrease.
I don’t think Tyler is subject to the 5/11 cutoff considering he graduated.

Reactions: Zeeter
There definitely seems be confusion about this. The NCAA's press release could be worded better, as it says grad transfers are exempt from the normal windows and a lot of people seem to have not read beyond that. But it also outlines the May 1 deadline. The point of the change in the press release was to allow grad transfers to line up their next stops earlier, not later. Like how we had several baseball players committed months ago to play elsewhere next year.

I found this tweet from DePaul's compliance folks last fall after the announcement citing the May 1 deadline for grad transfers, so unless the interpretation of the NCAA's statements has been clarified/changed, May 1 does appear to have been the deadline.

Assuming SF is correct, which I'm going to say that he is, Zimmerman is not wrong in saying "this deadline does not apply to grad transfers," but he should have added "because their deadline already occurred May 1."

I didn't check everyone, but Malcolm Dandridge of Memphis just hit the portal and he's a grad transfer. Soooo....

Yeah, was just going to say I was looking and see some guys who appear to be grad transfers hitting the portal over the past few days, so I have no idea what's going on. It appears May 1 is not the deadline, but then I can't explain the NCAA press release.

not sure bustingbrackets.com qualifies as a legit source, but they say:

There’s a “window” for the time for players to officially enter the NCAA Basketball transfer portal for the different sports seasons, with winter athletes (basketball), having 60 days to enter after the conclusion of the regular-season/conference tournaments. So for the men and women, the deadline would be May 11th. Anyone who enters during this period will be able to become immediately eligible if it’s their first time transferring. Anyone who enters afterward will have to apply for a waiver, something that isn’t guaranteed by the NCAA. Grad students are exempt from this rule so veterans can move at any time.

1700+ transfers is wild.

Unless I'm missing something, there's 4719 total DI scholarships available (363 teams x 13 per team = 4719). Assuming about 1/4 of guys move on each year (graduation, etc.) and are replaced by incoming freshmen, that leaves around 3500 players who have played a season and can transfer (4719 x 0.75 = 3539).

I'm sure these numbers are still a little skewed with the covid year guys cycling through, but even if it's in the ballpark - 1700/3539 = 48% of players looking for a new school o_O

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1700+ transfers is wild.

Unless I'm missing something, there's 4719 total DI scholarships available (363 teams x 13 per team = 4719). Assuming about 1/4 of guys move on each year (graduation, etc.) and are replaced by incoming freshmen, that leaves around 3500 players who have played a season and can transfer (4719 x 0.75 = 3539).

I'm sure these numbers are still a little skewed with the covid year guys cycling through, but even if it's in the ballpark - 1700/3539 = 48% of players looking for a new school o_O

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
go to www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2023/D1 and sort by previous school. some of note:

DeMarr Langford is 1 of 5 guys leaving BC.
Butler and Cal have 8.
Dayton has 6.
Duquesne has 5.
we got Jordan King from ETSU. they have 9.
George Mason has 7.
GW has 6.
Georgetown has 9.
Green Bay and High Point have 11.
Kansas and Louisville have 8.
Loyola Chicago has 4.
UMASS has 6.
URI has 8.
UR has 3.
SDSU went to the finals and still has 5 in the portal.
St Johns has 11.
SBU has 6.
VCU 7.

if 48% transfer every year, just about everyone transfers at some point.
sorting by new school, I believe 845 (so about half) have found a new home so far.

There’s a deadline to enter the portal. Is there a deadline to sign with a team in order to play the following season?

Tyler was not one of the eight guys from G League camp to earn a combine invite, so now we wait.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back.
I can't get into his mind so it's just so hard to tell. I would not be surprised either way. Plenty of talented guys like him left before their final year, and moved on even knowing they might not get drafted. And plenty of others have come back to school. He likely will not be drafted, but he might just be ready to move on and start his pro career, whether it is NBA, G league, or wherever. Or, he might want to come back and bet on himself to have a monster year, with better 3 point shooting, improved handling, and even better finishing at the rim. Even at his age, a monster year could put some mid to late 2nd round thoughts in some GM's minds.

Agreed. Who knows if Tyler will come back. I do think he could play in Europe for 6 figures next year or he could go the G league root and hope for a call-up, 10 day contract like Gilly got and would make 6 figures that way.

He already did this last year and is kind of in the same spot this year, so I'm not sure how another year is going to change the occasion, other than he will be another year older, which is not valued in the NBA.

I do think his decision criteria in returning is if he likes college, likes playing college basketball, likes our program, he will be back. If he wants to start his basketball career, he will leave. I just think him improving his draft stock is probably down on this list of criteria because he has been there and done that and it didn't really move the needle for him.

He's not going to get drafted this year, so I think his decision is between going the G League/overseas route now or in a year.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
He's not going to get drafted this year, so I think his decision is between going the G League/overseas route now or in a year.
there's a route to potentially getting drafted next year. he's got the size and strength. he's athletic and can jump out of the gym. but he can't get drafted shooting 29.3% from 3.

if he came back and shot 39%, I could absolutely see him drafted. if he doesn't shoot well he's in the same boat next year as he is today. not a lot of downside to coming back ... except not making money this year. which is where an NIL would be helpful.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Agreed. Who knows if Tyler will come back. I do think he could play in Europe for 6 figures next year or he could go the G league root and hope for a call-up, 10 day contract like Gilly got and would make 6 figures that way.

He already did this last year and is kind of in the same spot this year, so I'm not sure how another year is going to change the occasion, other than he will be another year older, which is not valued in the NBA.

I do think his decision criteria in returning is if he likes college, likes playing college basketball, likes our program, he will be back. If he wants to start his basketball career, he will leave. I just think him improving his draft stock is probably down on this list of criteria because he has been there and done that and it didn't really move the needle for him.
Your second paragraph is spot on. Good stuff.

I have heard rumors PQ paid Burton to stay last year and I’m sure the same would happen this year, just a rumor don’t have any real insider info. But thinking about it practically - PQ has donated what $15 million at least to UR bball alone? What’s $200k to to keep your best player around in age of NIL?

One thing I think for sure is PQ wants to win - I think a good chance a change would have been made without the run in 2022. Maybe he doesn’t publicly want to fund an NIL program for Richmond comparable to other schools, for either it being too much money or he or UR doesn’t want that reputation, but he’d have no problem slipping 6 figures under the rug to an all time player whose been in the program for 3 years. He knows Tyler and probably trusts him to keep it quiet and not make a big deal out of it.

Just my thesis

there's a route to potentially getting drafted next year. he's got the size and strength. he's athletic and can jump out of the gym. but he can't get drafted shooting 29.3% from 3.

if he came back and shot 39%, I could absolutely see him drafted. if he doesn't shoot well he's in the same boat next year as he is today. not a lot of downside to coming back ... except not making money this year. which is where an NIL would be helpful.

This is pie in the sky stuff. No way he gets drafted.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I think he could too. I do think he needs to work on quicker decisions, passing, ball handling too. He's been a great player for us, but makes his hay a lot by bullying less athletic , less strong perimeter players. I think he has the athleticism to make it, but needs to evolve his game this year if he comes back.

I hope he has a healthy off season. He went to the NBA camps last spring and then his knee was hurt in the summer, and came back for the season. So no time for skill development.

life of a Spiders fan.

if if if

coulda, shoulda, woulda
I agreed he wouldn't get drafted this year off 29% shooting. he did shoot over 36% the prior 2 seasons though so 39% isn't out of the question. no idea why you think "No way he gets drafted" in that scenario.

I agreed he wouldn't get drafted this year off 29% shooting. he did shoot over 36% the prior 2 seasons though so 39% isn't out of the question. no idea why you think "No way he gets drafted" in that scenario.
because you are expecting him to shoot a higher percentage than he ever has in his career while being public enemy number 1 in the opposition's game plan. Want to make a wager on where his 3P% ends up next season?

Want to make a wager on where his 3P% ends up next season?
not really. I'm not betting he shoots 39%. I'm saying that's about what he needs to do.

I've always thought his arc was a little too high, but it works for some. I think 38-39% and he can be drafted. I'd be very happy with 35-36% like the 2 years before last. he's a better shooter than 29.3%.
I don't worry about the defensive attention. if he's good enough it won't stop him. he got plenty of good looks last season.

No idea who this is, but one person's assessment of Tyler's performance at the camp.

Did see a clip of one shot from deep from him.

Reactions: spiderman
I have heard rumors PQ paid Burton to stay last year and I’m sure the same would happen this year, just a rumor don’t have any real insider info. But thinking about it practically - PQ has donated what $15 million at least to UR bball alone? What’s $200k to to keep your best player around in age of NIL?

One thing I think for sure is PQ wants to win - I think a good chance a change would have been made without the run in 2022. Maybe he doesn’t publicly want to fund an NIL program for Richmond comparable to other schools, for either it being too much money or he or UR doesn’t want that reputation, but he’d have no problem slipping 6 figures under the rug to an all time player whose been in the program for 3 years. He knows Tyler and probably trusts him to keep it quiet and not make a big deal out of it.

Just my thesis
PQ has been pretty open that he is or has set up a NIL. 200K seems pretty high though but whatever he paid, his ROI was not great. I'd be pretty pissed at Mooney if I paid 200K to retain our best player only to have the team finish 12th, as we did last year. Not sure, I would be signing up for another 200K this year either.

agreed, $200k sounds outrageously high but I don't know the market.
G-League salary is $40k. I'd think that plus room, board and tuition would suffice in most cases.

I hope Tyler gets $500k of PQ's NIL money. I am all for PQ buying us a team. Mooney certainly isn't ponying up any of his millions.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Some speculation out there that this could be about Tyler. Aren't that many other A-10 stars who could enter the portal at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT