ADVERTISEMENT

Burton going through draft process again, no decision on returning to UR

If it is him, hopefully that would allow us to get in with some better potential portal candidates ourselves. I do think the limbo with Tyler has probably caused guys to not consider us.
How many wings are still available that are as productive as Tyler and are realistic UR targets? I do wish he was a better shooter, but I think he’s probably much better than his likely replacement.

Reactions: spider23
Who else could it be, Holmes? I don't think he entered the portal just declared for the draft. Saw some people speculating maybe Yuri Collins?
Holmes isn't a grad, so his deadline has passed.

Collins announced back in March that he was forgoing his extra year to turn pro. I don't know whether he signed with an NCAA-certified agent and thus could change his mind though. He was not invited to G League camp or the combine.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If Collins or Burton could get a big $NIL payday and play in a p6 conference, it makes a lot of sense. Hoping Tyler comes back. Sounds like rumor that he got a big payday last year from PQ, but maybe that dried up, or maybe looking for similar and chance for more exposure.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that if Tyler returns to college, why would he not go portaling.

A. Tyler is gonna lock down a really nice portal payday at a BCS school, way more than whatever Queally and our NIL can pay him.
B. He can go to a BCS school, get a much higher exposure than he gets here and in a liklihood a legit chance of playing in the NCAA.
C. He can have a different set of coaching eyes and coaching scheme help him to further develop his pro skill set.
Unless, he really just loves UR and/or Mooney/teammates, has a girlfriend here, etc.. Outside of that, if I'm Tyler or advising Tyler, returning to Richmond would not be my top choice. I am at the very least gonna put myself in the portal and see what offers I get.

As a Spider fan, I hope he returns though.

The big question in my mind then is why hasn't he already done it.

There are other guys still entering the portal (Cam Spencer today was a big one), so it's not unheard of, but feels like he should have gotten his name out there earlier if that was a route under consideration.

Last edited:
all of that makes sense, 97.
the question he has to answer is if his love of UR/Mooney/teammates outweighs A, B and C.
nothing is guaranteed to be better with a move. especially those relationships. no way you're as tight with coaches and teammate when you come in for one year.
but yes, there could be advantages with a move.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
all of that makes sense, 97.
the question he has to answer is if his love of UR/Mooney/teammates outweighs A, B and C.
nothing is guaranteed to be better with a move. especially those relationships. no way you're as tight with coaches and teammate when you come in for one year.
but yes, there could be advantages with a move.
Could be advantages, but it would come with a risk. Most P6 teams will have good freshmen coming in, and some guys that did not play much last year who are ready to play more this year. Sure, it sounds good to go compete, and beat some guys out, but there is just no guarantee that would happen. Now, money does talk, so it would be hard to turn down a big payday. Whatever he decides, he has given us 4 great years, been a team player, kept a great attitude throughout, said the right things in interviews, and represented us with nothing but class, so I will always support him and be a huge fan.

Some speculation out there that this could be about Tyler. Aren't that many other A-10 stars who could enter the portal at this point.

Looks like most people on Twitter think if it is anyone at all, then its Tyler B. I hope we find out before we have to commit to season tickets and parking passes.

Oh for sure …he gets out of pocket on a lot of things, but always dislike when I hear things like this. I understand money factors but I’ll be a fan for life now and currently not a donor, doesn’t mean I won’t become one but if you’re a fan be a fan.
More frustration with the status of the program.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Oh for sure …he gets out of pocket on a lot of things, but always dislike when I hear things like this. I understand money factors but I’ll be a fan for life now and currently not a donor, doesn’t mean I won’t become one but if you’re a fan be a fan.
Sadly, a lot of more fans that are like him than others.

A. Tyler is gonna lock down a really nice portal payday at a BCS school, way more than whatever Queally and our NIL can pay him.
B. He can go to a BCS school, get a much higher exposure than he gets here and in a liklihood a legit chance of playing in the NCAA.
C. He can have a different set of coaching eyes and coaching scheme help him to further develop his pro skill set.
Looking at these in reverse order:

C - Totally agree. Seems like the most likely option could be GTown with Cooley moving on from Providence.

B- Agree with the exposure at a P6 school. However, no guarantee of NCAAs as I don’t see a fit at any team that I would call a lock to go dancing. Granted seemingly a significantly better chance than UR although the A10 is basically an “everyone can win” conference. Problem is you have to win the tournament (at large will again be very unlikely).

A- Guess one has to define “big”. Could he make more than the G league salary - probably, but I doubt much more. I don’t know where people think this NIL money is coming from. I don’t see big donors out there looking to dump money on “good” college basketball players. I think Queally could match any NIL offer TB gets. He has no problem pitching in to pay top dollar for an average coach.

I agree that the portal is a decent option for TB, but I don’t think it is a slam dunk either. He definitely is not going to get more fan support at another school.

A- Guess one has to define “big”. Could he make more than the G league salary - probably, but I doubt much more. I don’t know where people think this NIL money is coming from. I don’t see big donors out there looking to dump money on “good” college basketball players. I think Queally could match any NIL offer TB gets. He has no problem pitching in to pay top dollar for an average coach.
for reference, Hunter Dickenson is one of the best players in the country and stated he wasn't getting 6 figures at Michigan (guessing he is now at Kansas).
if a school like Michigan isn't securing big money for it's best plater, than I assume only a handful of schools are.

for reference, Hunter Dickenson is one of the best players in the country and stated he wasn't getting 6 figures at Michigan (guessing he is now at Kansas).
if a school like Michigan isn't securing big money for it's best plater, than I assume only a handful of schools are.
Michigan may be a bit of an outlier here. Nebraska is paying big $. Kansas State. Miami. Now St. Johns has a billionaire donor jumping in since Pitino. West Virginia has been cited. Arizona paying top dollar. Bunch of the big boys. Plus wouldn't believe everything Dickinson says.

Tyler's number 1 objective should be playing in the NBA, which pays multiple times more than overseas. His highest probability of achieving that goal is returning to U of R and proving that he can improve his outside shot. At U of R he will have much higher quality guards compared to last year and will be given the green light from Mooney to shoot or drive to the rim whenever he thinks he can be successful.

If he transfers to a another school, his production might decline significantly, because of having to take less shots, reducing his chance of an NBA career. Higher Nil payments are chump change compared to his future earnings potential.

I hope he bases his decision on his long term interest. It seems to be working for Gilly and hopefully Grant also.

Reactions: urfan1
Tell your friend/aquintance whatever he is (PQ) to match any NIL offers and we should all be on the same page here.
How about if you stepped up and donate money yourself and motivate some of your friends to join in instead of just whining on the time.

BTW, I think Burton has a lot more integrity and loyalty than to just go to the highest bidder. If he leaves it is not going to be just because someone gave him a little more cash.

Last edited:
How about if you stepped up and donate money yourself and motivate some of your friends to join in instead of just whining on
Wow touch touchy. How do you know how much myself or friends give or don't give. Hire an inspiring coach and maybe you get more and varied donors. You are the protector, whiner, ol boy network at its very worst.

I am thrilled that you are the NIL moral gauge 😆.
I would not blame him or any kid going to the highest bidder, especially someone in Burton's position - who draft stock and potential likely took a hit this season, so if he can go to another school - be labeled as an NBA prospect and get a 6 figure NIL deal along with it - more power to him. Cash in while you can, but at some point, it will all end.

I think its yet to be determined on his NBA future. I think the G-League has really changed things. I think 5-10 years ago, you could go to Europe, make more money and after a good season or two, come back to the states and have a good shot at the NBA. Today - I think NBA teams are really using their G-League teams as minor league systems and it is so much easier to get a call up, get exposure, etc when your over here. The con is - take significantly less money for the potential NBA paycheck one day.

I think Tyler could make the NBA, but will need to prove himself in the G-League first. But do you do that, and sacrifice probably making double in Europe to chase the NBA dream.

Wow touch touchy. How do you know how much myself or friends give or don't give. Hire an inspiring coach and maybe you get more and varied donors. You are the protector, whiner, ol boy network at its very worst.
Spider23, I am not be touching, just stating the obvious. I think the probability of you donating NIL money to U of R is close to Zero. I just don't think you are that type of person or many of your friends who would donate. The obvious place for a NIL fund to start is this board based on how much time many people spends on it, but instead of helping the program, many people do the opposite.

If your description of old boy network means donating money to the basketball program, making a multi year donation to the new basketball center and season ticket holder, than I am guilty as charged.

No. Old boy network means explain the lack of transparency in the Hardt hire. We heard zero candidates and then find out he is a friend of PQ???? Who are my friends you pompous a$$? Why don't you donate to a cause that helps people, instead of a sink hole?

Reactions: wr70beh
No. Old boy network means explain the lack of transparency in the Hardt hire. We heard zero candidates and then find out he is a friend of PQ???? Who are my friends you pompous a$$? Why don't you donate to a cause that helps people, instead of a sink hole?
I don't know Hardt and had nothing to do with his hiring. BTW, I donate a very large percent of my income to charity and have volunteered thousands of hour of my time. What have you done spider23?

Last edited:
I don't know Hardt and had nothing to do with his hiring. BTW, I donate a very large percent of my income to charity and have volunteered thousands of hour of my time. What have you done spider23?
I don't believe a word you say on here. First thing you did is come on here and brag about how you have PQs cell phone, like that makes you special. You are going to make it very hard on yourselves to read this board. I have been on record last season pulling for Mooney. He is quickly losing any momentum and equity built from the ncaa run and reverting to his norm. Quit trying to pat yourself on the back and change the narrative.

You are trying to change the subject. This board should take a leadership position in creating a NIL fund. Spider23 you also need to have thicker skin. If you are going to be critical of people, you need to be able to also accept some criticism.

It is interesting that over the past 5 years I have been one of the most positive posters on the basketball board and constantly attached by some of the people on this board and I am the arrogant one?

Yes, I do have a number of friends on the board and know Paul, but not that well. How is that bragging? Just, thought sharing some inside info occasionally would be helpful.

Last edited:
If there was really an interest in starting an NIL fund - wouldn't someone just need to go to the Spider Club office, and explain to them, I am interested in starting an NIL collective, is it possible to get the contact information of donors (email is just fine) so I can send out and see if there is enough interest out there to start one?

As much as I love Spiders basketball, I would never give a dime for NIL. I support the $320,000.00 they receive in free education, room and board, but that is it. Paying the players, gifts to parents and AAU coaches is just too far for me. We all love college basketball over the NBA for a reason.

If there was really an interest in starting an NIL fund - wouldn't someone just need to go to the Spider Club office, and explain to them, I am interested in starting an NIL collective, is it possible to get the contact information of donors (email is just fine) so I can send out and see if there is enough interest out there to start one?
SpiderTrap if you or anyone else organizes this I will match 50 cents on the dollar for new contribution up to $5000 to start things off.

Asking the board to start a NIL seems a bit backwards. I would assume that directions on how this were to happen would have come from UR athletics. While the NIL is a bit of the wild west, I doubt our compliance office would be OK with some random fans just trying to set up a fund to pay players on their own free will.

Reactions: wr70beh
Asking the board to start a NIL seems a bit backwards. I would assume that directions on how this were to happen would have come from UR athletics. While the NIL is a bit of the wild west, I doubt our compliance office would be OK with some random fans just trying to set up a fund to pay players on their own free will.
Instead of throwing up problems, how about suggesting solutions? Someone from the board could contact the athletic department and ask how the board could help.

Instead of throwing up problems, how about suggesting solutions? Someone from the board could contact the athletic department and ask how the board could help.
True. I come back to the fact that I personally do not think the current leadership either coach or the AD has the shown the aptitude to get our men's basketball program to a place meeting my expectations for it.

As such, I'm not inclined to throw any of my money to an organization where I don't have trust in the leadership. The same principal would apply to any charity or any other organization that I would choose to support as well.

If we ever have different leadership of our program, than I would reevaluate my current decision because I am and remain an alum and huge fan of our MBB.

True. I come back to the fact that I personally do not think the current leadership either coach or the AD has the shown the aptitude to get our men's basketball program to a place meeting my expectations for it.

As such, I'm not inclined to throw any of my money to an organization where I don't have trust in the leadership. The same principal would apply to any charity or any other organization that I would choose to support as well.

If we ever have different leadership of our program, than I would reevaluate my current decision because I am and remain an alum and huge fan of our MBB.
Amen.

Reactions: SpiderK
Billboards have been our best contribution so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT