ADVERTISEMENT

Burton going through draft process again, no decision on returning to UR

thx for posting - wonder how hard JOC tried to get some info directly from TB on this
I would imagine, out of respect for Tyler, he did not look for direct quotes. Tyler has been a great addition to the Spider family. His character and work ethic places him first in line of Spider greats.

Reactions: urfan1
I would imagine, out of respect for Tyler, he did not look for direct quotes. Tyler has been a great addition to the Spider family. His character and work ethic places him first in line of Spider greats.
yeah - just seems a fairly watered down article but your point makes sense

There is no reason from Tyler's perspective to do differently. You keep the door open here while also exploring playing professional ball.

I think if he's looking for feedback he'll hear the obvious.
1) your defense improved dramatically. keep improving.
2) your handle and driving improved. keep improving.
3) you need to shoot better.

I thought Burtons handle was good. Pretty much all his turnovers were offensive fouls and not directly related to ball handling I think.

I thought Burtons handle was good. Pretty much all his turnovers were offensive fouls and not directly related to ball handling I think.

Idk. Granted he committed a solid amount of O fouls, but that percentage of turnovers can’t be much more than say 33%? Would be interesting stat.

turnovers in general for anyone r often related to ball handling. For TB may have to push off more due to handle.

Regarding D I’m not a big fan of his perimeter D. Very hard to put him on a smaller guard. Still gets beat too much I’d work on that. Better as help defender & very good defensive rebounder which of course is part of D.

Great player. Great representative of Richmond. Lucky to have had him or still have him.

No way Tyler will stay here another year. The team will be worse, if that is possible. He should go somewhere and be well coached, get paid, have some fun and WIN!

No way Tyler will stay here another year. The team will be worse, if that is possible. He should go somewhere and be well coached, get paid, have some fun and WIN!
You have said this about Tyler for 3 years now, and Grant and Jacob before that. Maybe at some point u will get one right.

Tyler has options, but staying here where you are comfortable, and can be the main guy playing a ton of minutes, and scoring around 20 a game seems like a pretty good thing to me. Especially if it is fun for him, and he has said he loves it here, loves his coach, and loves his teammates. We will see. Whatever he does, I wish him the best. I respect the heck out of the guy..100% class act and one heck of a talented player.

I’d be happy for him to come back but happier for him if he pursues his pro dreams. My guess is he put up good enough numbers that he’d get plenty of euro and GLeague looks, but 3pt shooting would hold him back from being drafted.

If he needs to show he can shoot the three at a better rate, it’s really just a question of where can he demonstrate that most easily. At UR he’s get lots of opportunity. Pro somewhere his chances may be less guaranteed but he’d be getting paid.

I would like to see what he would do with a step up in competition, whether it be in a better league or in the pros.

Reactions: bongturk
Three elements of the game the NBA wants in players - the ability to make free throws, layups, and 3s. Two good examples of guys who can shot 3s came right out of the A10 - Wantanabe from GW and Hyland from VCU. They are not as athletic as TB or have his build, but they were drafted and playing. UR would certainly give him the minutes to bring up those stats. Agree that the NBA will find you, especially when you look at the list of potential picks this year. A high percentage are international and not G-League.

Best of luck to Tyler. One of the best Spiders we've seen in a while, its a shame how his career ended here

I give it 60% he returns. He needs to improve his outside shooting and U of R will give him the opportunity he needs. Both Golden and Gilyard benefited greatly from the extra year and each has a chance of getting some NBA playing time. I don't think that would have happened if they left a year earlier.

I give it 60% he returns. He needs to improve his outside shooting and U of R will give him the opportunity he needs. Both Golden and Gilyard benefited greatly from the extra year and each has a chance of getting some NBA playing time. I don't think that would have happened if they left a year earlier.
I think the benefit that grant and Jacob got was not likely developmental, it was they got another year to pad some already pretty gaudy statistics, and more importantly, they got exposure by being in the ncaa tournament.

I think the second is unlikely for Tyler if he stays, we just don’t look threatening as a program right now. Maybe he can pad stats, and as I mentioned previously, he will be guaranteed PT. That’s not assured elsewhere.

I think the benefit that grant and Jacob got was not likely developmental, it was they got another year to pad some already pretty gaudy statistics, and more importantly, they got exposure by being in the ncaa tournament.

I think the second is unlikely for Tyler if he stays, we just don’t look threatening as a program right now. Maybe he can pad stats, and as I mentioned previously, he will be guaranteed PT. That’s not assured elsewhere.
Stats and exposure don't have anything to do with how well Jacob and Grant have done this year, and it did not give them any extra advantages. NBA scouts are a little smarter than that, and I'm sure they knew who they were well before their final year here. If they didn't perform once they got to where they are, they would have been cut, no matter what college stats they had and who they beat in the dance.

Stats and exposure don't have anything to do with how well Jacob and Grant have done this year, and it did not give them any extra advantages. NBA scouts are a little smarter than that, and I'm sure they knew who they were well before their final year here. If they didn't perform once they got to where they are, they would have been cut, no matter what college stats they had and who they beat in the dance.
I never said their stats or exposure had any effect on their GLeague performance.

I also agree that scouts are smart enough to know who a guy is. I doubt a guy with stats like those two or Tyler benefits much by doing an extra year, that was pretty much my point.

I think there’s some nominal advantage if you’re draftable to doing well in the tournament but it’s not going to take you from undraftable to draftable. But again, probably nominal.

I just don’t think another year at UR helps his pro stock a ton presuming he gets PT wherever he goes. I think he has to demonstrate a far better 3pt pctg wherever he goes. But I’d be happy to have him back, I love his game.

Tyler is a great kid, he deserves better than we have to offer at present.
This may come as a shock to you, but our players love U of R and Coach Mooney, which is why we have one of the top retention rates in the country of our key players. Mooney has also done a great job in developing players where most of our starters in recent years have gone on to play professionally, despite not be rated that high out of high school.

The 2 starters that did transfer under Mooney basically torpedoed their careers.

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK
I think he comes back. I don't think the transfer portal ends up being the magic bullet for Tyler some of you guys think. He'd have to adjust to new surroundings, new teammates, and a new system. Here, he gets top notch facilities, team mates and coaches that HE HAS SAID he really cares about. The level of unknown for him to transfer for his final year of eligibility just doesn't make sense if his goal playing one final NCAA season is to get better exposure for NBA / professional opportunities.

Also, I have my issues with CM, but one of his strong suits is the relationships he builds with his players. He deserves credit for that.

I've assumed he'd go pro this year but the shooting percentage puts that in question. he can still go that route, though. pros will give him a chance, if not the NBA. he's got the body and the athleticism. thats the most important thing. they can work on the shot. I still think his arc is too high. there's an optimal arc. find it. and repeat it a few hundred times a day.

but if he stays in college I think he's in a pretty good situation here. the grass isn't always greener.

I think he comes back. I don't think the transfer portal ends up being the magic bullet for Tyler some of you guys think. He'd have to adjust to new surroundings, new teammates, and a new system. Here, he gets top notch facilities, team mates and coaches that HE HAS SAID he really cares about. The level of unknown for him to transfer for his final year of eligibility just doesn't make sense if his goal playing one final NCAA season is to get better exposure for NBA / professional opportunities.

Also, I have my issues with CM, but one of his strong suits is the relationships he builds with his players. He deserves credit for that.
I feel like if Tyler wanted to go portaling, he would have gone portaling.

The biggest reason for Tyler to come back for another year is that we as fans love watching him play - what could be more important than that from a fan's perspective?

The most interesting thing in the article cited to me is CM saying that he expects to bring in a minimum of two transfers and then I can’t tell if CM said or JOC infers that when the transfers come in that may cause another player to transfer due to a perception of a significant reduction in playing time. So it sounds like an expectation of plenty of roster movement to come. Could be 2 new transfers plus a Burton return and no additional transfers or could be Burton going pro plus another transfer leaving UR leaving 2 more spots to fill. Guess it will be another interesting few months.

The most interesting thing in the article cited to me is CM saying that he expects to bring in a minimum of two transfers and then I can’t tell if CM said or JOC infers that when the transfers come in that may cause another player to transfer due to a perception of a significant reduction in playing time. So it sounds like an expectation of plenty of roster movement to come. Could be 2 new transfers plus a Burton return and no additional transfers or could be Burton going pro plus another transfer leaving UR leaving 2 more spots to fill. Guess it will be another interesting few months.

Good point Native. It’s not inconceivable we’ll have 4 ships open. By the article JOC infers but think it’s also a natural inference. We’ve avoided the outgoing transfers for most part here tho.

I do think the uncertainty of Burton won’t help. Last year I think it was more widely assumed he’d be back. Now who knows & that also affects transfers. Who to target by us. And vice versa who is interested in us. If Burton returns some will like that we’d have better chance to be good. If Burton gone some will like the more shots etc that will be available. If we r targeting a pg or combo it doesn’t affect that a ton. Still waiting to June is not ideal & has some trickle effect but presumably we may know more behind the scenes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT