ADVERTISEMENT

Burton going through draft process again, no decision on returning to UR

Yeah, I don't see how he can decide until he's gone through all the pre-draft stuff.

I believe the transfer portal deadline for grad transfers is May 1, so that's one date lurking out there. No idea if that's something he's even considering.
yeah, it's interesting and exciting that he appears to only be choosing between going pro and staying at Richmond. I had thought he was definitely going pro but his low percentage from 3 makes me think it's more 50-50. he's a better shooter than he showed last year. he might need another season to prove it.

I'm no NBA expert, but to me Burton's draft stock seems unlikely to change drastically regardless of what he chooses to do for next year. He's already been through the pre-draft process before and gotten the feedback, so he knows what he needs to work on. It seems there are 3 main options right now:

option 1 - he stays at UR, likely averages +/- 20 and 9 next year, and is basically back where he is today (but with a master's or working toward one and a year older)

option 2 - he transfers to a bigger name school, whether it's to chase a deeper tourney run, pull in some big time NIL money, or to prove himself to NBA scouts against tougher competition

option 3 - stay in the draft, looks like most mock drafts have him going undrafted, some show late 2nd round, start playing pro ball at some level

It's just going to come down to what he wants (thanks captain obvious). Is he ready to be done with school? - he would definitely have a place in the G League or overseas if he wanted one. Does he chase bigger college stardom by going the power school route (I'm sure there'd be no shortage of big time suitors lining up if he announced he's transferring)? Or does he come back to UR for one final run - trying to cement his place as one of the all time Spider greats?

My gut feeling is that he either stays here or goes pro. Might be that his decision will be influenced by how much help we get from the portal. Regardless of his choice he's been a great Spider and I wish him the best (unless he goes across town :p )

I'm no NBA expert, but to me Burton's draft stock seems unlikely to change drastically regardless of what he chooses to do for next year. He's already been through the pre-draft process before and gotten the feedback, so he knows what he needs to work on. It seems there are 3 main options right now:

option 1 - he stays at UR, likely averages +/- 20 and 9 next year, and is basically back where he is today (but with a master's or working toward one and a year older)

option 2 - he transfers to a bigger name school, whether it's to chase a deeper tourney run, pull in some big time NIL money, or to prove himself to NBA scouts against tougher competition

option 3 - stay in the draft, looks like most mock drafts have him going undrafted, some show late 2nd round, start playing pro ball at some level

It's just going to come down to what he wants (thanks captain obvious). Is he ready to be done with school? - he would definitely have a place in the G League or overseas if he wanted one. Does he chase bigger college stardom by going the power school route (I'm sure there'd be no shortage of big time suitors lining up if he announced he's transferring)? Or does he come back to UR for one final run - trying to cement his place as one of the all time Spider greats?

My gut feeling is that he either stays here or goes pro. Might be that his decision will be influenced by how much help we get from the portal. Regardless of his choice he's been a great Spider and I wish him the best (unless he goes across town :p )
Just trying to get a handle on this but does option 2 close in 12 days? Option 3 sort of does in 42 days?

Just trying to get a handle on this but does option 2 close in 12 days? Option 3 sort of does in 42 days?
I believe so.

The regular portal deadline is 5/11, but the grad transfer deadline seems to be 5/1.

NBA draft withdrawal deadline is 5/31 to maintain college eligibility.

His back is still recovering from carrying the team this past season. I hope he doesn't leave, but i would understand if he does. In our current situation, the grass is greener anywhere.

His back is still recovering from carrying the team this past season. I hope he doesn't leave, but i would understand if he does. In our current situation, the grass is greener anywhere.
I'm actually starting to get bullish on next season already, lol. not 2021-22 bullish, but I can see a path to a good season.
the King addition was big. we're adding more. and I like what's coming back.

Reactions: VT4700
I'm actually starting to get bullish on next season already, lol. not 2021-22 bullish, but I can see a path to a good season.
the King addition was big. we're adding more. and I like what's coming back.
Hope you are correct.

Hope you are correct.
As the roster currently stands, we look to have a much better starting lineup than last year, at least offensively. I still don't understand what Mooney was thinking last year. Let's start two centers. Let's start two guys who aren't a threat to score much. Let's hope our freshman PG is a superstar that can somehow make this lineup work.

I assume King, Roche, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn are the starting 5 as the roster currently stands. At least that is who I would start.

As the roster currently stands, we look to have a much better starting lineup than last year, at least offensively. I still don't understand what Mooney was thinking last year. Let's start two centers. Let's start two guys who aren't a threat to score much. Let's hope our freshman PG is a superstar that can somehow make this lineup work.

I assume King, Roche, Burton, Bigelow, Quinn are the starting 5 as the roster currently stands. At least that is who I would start.
I agree this lineup looks like it would be substantially more effective than last years.
losing Burton would obviously change things a ton.
but even so I'm exctied for a competition between Noyes and Tanner for some playing time. Noyes flashed serious athleticism and plus shooting in his brief runs. and I love the level of HS ball Taner was succeeding at. he looks impressive to me.

Reactions: VT4700

Well said. And, looking at your 3 options, it is really hard to find fault with any of them because everyone is different. What one guy might want is not always what another guy wants. Some guys stay like Grant and Jacob. Some guys leave early like Blake did. And, some guys transfer down like several of our guys have, and some guys transfer up like Khwan did. It just comes down to the player, and what he likes, loves, and dislikes.

All situations are different, and Tyler has been a fantastic player and class act for 4 years here. Whatever he decides, I will happy for him, and wish him the best.

I agree this lineup looks like it would be substantially more effective than last years.
losing Burton would obviously change things a ton.
but even so I'm exctied for a competition between Noyes and Tanner for some playing time. Noyes flashed serious athleticism and plus shooting in his brief runs. and I love the level of HS ball Taner was succeeding at. he looks impressive to me.
Well I am still expecting (ok, extrapolating...) that Tanner will finish this season 434 for 434 from 3. That should give him plenty of minutes...

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Too early for me, but I’m sure by early November I’ll have convinced myself we’re a sweet sixteen level team.
I’ve learned not to get too excited as underachievement settles in too frequently. I thought with 3 portal gets plus decent returning players, we’d have a good season this past year. It didn’t take long for reality to sink in. So at this stage, I think it’s better to stay grounded and expect the expected on the Good Ship Mooney. More of the same?

I’ve learned not to get too excited as underachievement settles in too frequently. I thought with 3 portal gets plus decent returning players, we’d have a good season this past year. It didn’t take long for reality to sink in. So at this stage, I think it’s better to stay grounded and expect the expected on the Good Ship Mooney. More of the same?
Absolutely 100%. The team has failed to meet preseason expectations as selected by pundits for at least a decade. I don’t have any confidence this year will be different short of those pundits placing us super low in their rankings.

Nothing wrong with optimism of course but I think you gotta temper it.

Reactions: KE Spider
No public announcement about entering this year's draft (2023), soooooo.... is he back? Or just graduating?

It’s certainly curious. Conflicting assumptions out there about whether he declared, but no official word like last year.

JOC needs to ask some questions.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Could be wrong, but just off the top of my head does it seem like there’s so many mid-major players that don’t seem that good (no guarantees of same playing time) going to P6 schools? Are they maybe getting a little NIL money that the previous schools can’t do?

Have no idea, but how much money is GG and Jacob getting? Anyone get that information? Please some higher-up put their hand in the endowment cookie jar and get Tyler some cash. That or deservedly reappropriate a little of the coach’s salary to him.

Wow, not sure the accuracy of all this, but looks like G league salary is only $40,500 , while two way contract got bumped up big to $449,155.

I have read numerous places that New Mexico (Richard Pitino) has been paying around $100,000.00 for players via NIL. I know currently SDSU's NIL thing pays players $2,000 / month.

Wow, not sure the accuracy of all this, but looks like G league salary is only $40,500 , while two way contract got bumped up big to $449,155.

I have read numerous places that New Mexico (Richard Pitino) has been paying around $100,000.00 for players via NIL. I know currently SDSU's NIL thing pays players $2,000 / month.
"Wow, not sure the accuracy of all this, but looks like G league salary is only $40,500 , while two way contract got bumped up big to $449,155."

Pretty accurate

The two-way salary was somewhere between $500k and $510k this season (depending on source) and prorated based on signing date if during the season. Should go up by about 3% for next season.

I believe there's a lower amount (max $50,000) that can optionally be guaranteed in two-way deals even if waived early in the season, and then around mid-January everything locks in and the full salary is guaranteed.

G League minimum is indeed around $40k, paid out over the 5-month season, and most players earn that. Some can earn more.

This is the impact that NIL can have on those fringe draft picks who might think playing for 40K is better than nothing. 2 way contracts aside, because those limited to begin with - and likely to be taken up by 2nd round picks who are not guaranteed deals- you can make 40K-50K in the G-League or possibly much more than that in the right college town with an NIL system in place.

The kicker is this - by staying in college, you become another year older, which NBA does not like. Each year you stay in college - your potential goes down. And they much rather draft the raw 19 year old with lots of potential than a kid who is 22 years old and played 200 college games.

And also - the dream will be - I can play well in the G-League and get called up. One 10 day contract call up basically doubles your salary and gets you exposure and if your lucky, a call up and long term deal for the rest of the season or exposure to get more invites for the following season. Whereas - you perform well in college, no call ups from there.

But I think NIL can sway some guys to stay because they could make more or about the same at their school.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Gotta think we have more than 40 alums who would be willing to shell out $1,000 each to convince Tyler to stay.
Yes,I think some would be willing to put down some money to make this happen but I think if you are doing that you would want to have a reasonable shot at achieving an NCAA bid with that investment. And with Mooney and the roster we have constructed, I just don't see a reasonable shot right now. We just had Tyler for a year and we weren't even a .500 team.

If Mooney were to go out and get some heavy hitters in the portal, maybe the appetite is there. Not now, though.

If Mooney were to go out and get some heavy hitters in the portal, maybe the appetite is there. Not now, though.
chicken and the egg. to land the heavy hitters in this new environment, you're competing with some schools offering substantial NIL.

Yes,I think some would be willing to put down some money to make this happen but I think if you are doing that you would want to have a reasonable shot at achieving an NCAA bid with that investment. And with Mooney and the roster we have constructed, I just don't see a reasonable shot right now. We just had Tyler for a year and we weren't even a .500 team.

I don't think we have 40 alums willing to do this. It would be a waste of 40K to pay him and just win 18 games next year. And that amount is too small. UR should either get alums together to form a collective and go all in on the NIL world, or do exactly what it is doing now - nothing! Unless you consider creating a marketplace on the website where people can pay Neal Quinn $390 to appear at their kids birthday party doing something.

There is a group of alumni discussing making multi year NIL contributions.
In my mind - to make this work and really work, meaning we pay a sizable amount to make a difference in recruiting and transfer portal. We need to raise 500K per year. That way we can pay 7-10 kids NIL money, with some earning more than others. And what happens when they make this contribution, but next year don't make any post-season tourney - you can't stop, we need the money to keep coming in.

I tend to agree with the posters who think he is either going pro in some form, or returning. If he's happy at UR and likes the coaching staff, why take a one year chance on an unknown coach, staff, teammates, playing situation, and learning to live in a new city and how a new school works?
Better development perhaps?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT