ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham dismissed from UR Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad it's worked out for him. I'll cheer for him anytime. warrior.
does he have to sit out a year?

glad it's worked out for him. I'll cheer for him anytime. warrior.
Stupid random question. If he sits out the upcoming season at Bakersfield and then UCLA wants him to play the next season, could he do it or have to sit again?

Good luck Buck. I would have liked to have seen him take a redshirt year away from the team, and then be brought back into the fold after working out whatever problems he had with the AD.

Yes, he'll sit one, play 2.

Stupid random question. If he sits out the upcoming season at Bakersfield and then UCLA wants him to play the next season, could he do it or have to sit again?

I believe he could. Michael Gilmore left VCU after 2015-16, had a RS year at Miami during which he was dismissed, and then he played 2017-18 for FGCU.

All the best to Buck and his family. Rowdy the Road Runner is the mascot and was ranked as the number 1 mascot of the teams in the 2016 NCAA Tournament.

adb52403-1fb2-48b1-b53f-478c16de238b-large16x9_RowdyRunMN07.jpg

The whole situation sucks, no matter who’s fault it is. I do think the fact that he is going to Cal-Bakersfield answers many questions as to what happened and the options he had.

I will be rooting for his success as a player and young man.

The whole situation sucks, no matter who’s fault it is. I do think the fact that he is going to Cal-Bakersfield answers many questions as to what happened and the options he had.

I will be rooting for his success as a player and young man.

no matter who’s fault it is---Cmon, put your anti thoughts aside and look at this rationally. There is only one person who got suspended in the middle of a 5 game winning streak and allegedly repeated the same (or similar) mistake 2 months later.

BTW, Buck was my favorite player and never gave less than 100% effort. We will miss that.

Longtime, just giving both sides the benefit of the doubt. No one (Buck, UR, coaches or fans) wanted this outcome. I believe I made it pretty clear where the fault lies with the choice of schools he ended up with. FIU and CSUB.

Reactions: plydogg
Longtime, just giving both sides the benefit of the doubt. No one (Buck, UR, coaches or fans) wanted this outcome. I believe I made it pretty clear where the fault lies with the choice of schools he ended up with. FIU and CSUB.
I feel sorry that he is going to be so far from home and won't be easy for his family to see him play. Kwan on other hand is 3-4 hours from home now, so I am sure his family is excited.

Reactions: SpiderK
I still feel that we gave him the death penalty for what another player, who wasn't considering leaving might have gotten, a longer term suspension for. That said, Buck made the mistakes to put himself in this position, so that is where the fault ultimately lies.

It is a sad situation for Spider fans, who universally loved Buck. He was my favorite player, hands down on this team, and I will be rooting for him a CSU-Bakersfield as well. Go Roadrunners.

Reactions: regatw and SpiderK
Mr Buck please do your roadwork because this is what wins fight . I had disappointment in your second year.I was thinking off season working and improving did not happen so did not show to me last year. Good luck to you.

Reactions: iSpider
Delaware and Jacksonville St say hello.

Last year CSBU lost to Georgia Southern, Central Michigan, Northern Arizona, and like us also Delaware. So they say hello too....hard for you to use Delaware in your example when CSBU lost to them as well.

Also they went 12-18 last year which is pretty similar to us. Except we didn't get 5 free wins against Chicago State (2x), Whittier, Alaska Anchorage, and Life Pacific. Those last 3 aren't D1 schools and were just there to pad their end of season standings. If we played them any of the upcoming years it would be an easy victory.

Reactions: spiders13
So we don't want to schedule a H&H with them because that might hurt our chances of another KenPom banner?

So we don't want to schedule a H&H with them because that might hurt our chances of another KenPom banner?

One of the great things about kenpom rankings is that they should be independant of schedule. Give the same team 10 different schedules and they should have theoretically the same kenpom rating, with some noise of course. RPI is very different. It is 75% schedule, and so playing cupcakes can destroy your RPI. Give the same team 10 different schedules and they can have wildly different RPIs.

Last year CSBU lost to Georgia Southern, Central Michigan, Northern Arizona, and like us also Delaware. So they say hello too....hard for you to use Delaware in your example when CSBU lost to them as well.

Also they went 12-18 last year which is pretty similar to us. Except we didn't get 5 free wins against Chicago State (2x), Whittier, Alaska Anchorage, and Life Pacific. Those last 3 aren't D1 schools and were just there to pad their end of season standings. If we played them any of the upcoming years it would be an easy victory.

Lots of detailed analysis but my basic point was that we aren't in any position to be saying we would beat anyone by 15 points these days. The wins over Vcu are great...I'll take them every year... but that wasn't a good Vcu team...sorry it wasn't.

Detailed analysis as expected. My general thought is that we aren't in a place as a program to be thumping our chest as 15 points better than anyone. Yes we beat an average VCU team with a first year coach twice last year...I will never get tired of beating them...but they were average last year. We match up well with Davidson and beat them. I also remember the game we dedicated the court to Coach Tarrant a few years ago...and lost to perennial basketball power JMU. Too many moral victories and excuses for not reaching our potential as a program.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Am surprised that Buck did not land on a far more prestigious team and a lot closer to home.

This suggests to me that a LOT of programs saw him as a very "risky" recruit, and that risk was clearly not related to his ability to play ball. He must have seriously let down a lot of people, including his UR teammates, his UR coaches, himself, and his family. Very sad. I hope he finds a way to get back on a positive path soon.

not a home and home, but a buy game would be nice for sentimentality.
no real upside for us though.

Am surprised that Buck did not land on a far more prestigious team and a lot closer to home.

This suggests to me that a LOT of programs saw him as a very "risky" recruit, and that risk was clearly not related to his ability to play ball. He must have seriously let down a lot of people, including his UR teammates, his UR coaches, himself, and his family. Very sad. I hope he finds a way to get back on a positive path soon.
Agreed. Buck has BCS talent and the fact that none of them were interested is telling.

It is sad, I don't think anyone would say Buck is bad kid in any way shape or form.

It says to me that Power 5 schools don't need a 6'4" streaky shooter who can rebound well for his size. Love Buck, but he stood the best chance to excel on the basketball court here...

Reactions: SpiderK
Agreed. Buck has BCS talent and the fact that none of them were interested is telling.

It is sad, I don't think anyone would say Buck is bad kid in any way shape or form.
Who would say he's not a "bad kid"?
Sometimes this sanctimonious crap makes me sick. He didn't get kicked "off and out" because
he was somehow misunderstood. He flat out screwed up.
I hope he straightens out and becomes a better person. But to post some of the namby namby
stuff some of you put on here is absurd.

Who would say he's not a "bad kid"?
Sometimes this sanctimonious crap makes me sick. He didn't get kicked "off and out" because
he was somehow misunderstood. He flat out screwed up.
I hope he straightens out and becomes a better person. But to post some of the namby namby
stuff some of you put on here is absurd.
Could it be possible he may have wanted out? Let's explore all the possibilities. No way to avoid sitting a year anyways...

Pardon The Interruption, but this thread should have died or been deleted long ago; rehashing the same things over and over. Conclusion: most liked Buck, most liked his game, but Buck screwed up and is gone. RIP.

Last edited:
I could accept this with a much greater level of tranquility if Buck had just transferred. Or he got kicked off during the season after his first suspension. Or got kicked off immediately following the season. Or we hadn't posted his highlight video - which no way in hell Mooney allows if he knew he was under the possibility of being dismissed, and by god he better know this - then was common knowledge he was looking for release, AND THEN gets dismissed.
And then Jim Miller's hit job.
ETC, ETC.
Thanks for posting this Ulla and keeping it at the top, nice job fella. :)

Hey you don't know me but you don't like me
You say you care less how I feel
But how many of you that sit and judge me
Have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT