ADVERTISEMENT

BEAT IOWA!

Gilly 862 minutes in last 22 games?
23 below max + 5 for OT

Gilly 862 minutes in last 22 games?
23 below max + 5 for OT
First in min % behind an MJ RANDOLPH per my friend for % minutes player. Since Mj's season is done, quick math says Gilly needs to play in 100 minutes or so in a row to overcome him. Thinking would be nice to knock out this stat by the sweet 16 so double OTs each game would be ideal.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Honest question, if that's the case, why is Richmond's defensive efficiency so low?
Gilly is a steal's artist, he is gonna make your guards look silly probably several times again. With that said, his small stature and sometimes over eagerness to go for the steal work against him. Despite being our steals leader, he is not our best defender. That is our other guard Gustavson (Goose). He has the ability to really lock down whomever he is guarding.

The rest of our defense is lackluster. Burton is an NBA prospect, super athletic, fluid player. He does not move his feet well though on defense and can be beaten from guys with a big first step. Our help defense is very slow to react at times and good ball movement will get you an open shot. Golden, our center, is so foul adverse on the defensive end, he can sometimes be a turnstile.

I will say that was most of the season. Last few games of the regular season and in the A-10 tournament our defense really tightened up. I attribute that a lot to Goose, who was injured first half of the season and then had to work himself back into playing shape. I think he is locked in and that has made everyone a bit better.

Wondering who ends of guarding Murray, I think that will fall on Burton, but would love to see Goose get that assignment

Loving the Iowans who have joined our conversation ... great back and forth ... otherwise what the heck would be do until Thursday at 3pm.
Totally agree. Lots of good info on this year’s Iowa team. Saw lots of Iowa coverage last year - seemed like their games were always on I guess due to Garza. Only watched a little this year including the narrow victory over UVA and then a bit of a Big10 game that I don’t recall the opponent.

My take is Richmond has quite a tall order and I wish they drew Providence instead of Iowa.
Simply put the A10 isn’t the Big 10 and I don’t think UR has seen any team this year as good as Iowa is currently. Sure Iowa wasn’t as good at the beginning of the year, but losing 4 significant contributors to a team should do that.

Richmond’s advantage is its experience and it lost 1 starter from last year’s team. The starting five are 3 super seniors, a senior, and a junior, who is the first player in recent UR history to get any NBA talk. Even though the Spiders have some degree of depth, it is basically just spot duty. Coach Mooney is going to rely on the 5 starters for basically the entire game unless there is foul trouble. The one exception is 6-10 Grant Golden, who gets 10-15 minutes of rest each game.

I think Iowa will be able to give the Spiders plenty of trouble, but as they say you have to play the game to determine the winner, so I will be rooting for the upset.

Section9RowDSeats5&6

is this you at the 16 second mark? I can’t be the only one thinking this.
Not me .. as some folks know on here, I wear crazy, awesome shirts to games versus traditional UR attire .. In this case, I should have written a crazy awesome shirt (since it was worn to all 4 games) that will soon be found in Buffalo ..

Reactions: spider23
Wonder what the spread would be on a Spiders / Hawkeyes fball game ...
Not good. Although their candy a**es are still talking smoke about beating Penn State when they knocked QB1 out at home and we had to play this kid, who quite literally would be 3rd on our depth chart at UR.

Reactions: mrdr89
They showed another Spider fan several times, maybe an ex-player, the guy sort of looked like Tom Brady.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Watch some joe toussaint highlights. 4steals in 10 minutes against purdue yesterday. Will be a good matchup between those 2. Joe not much of an offensive player, but extremely quick and disruptive on defense.
Don’t know a lot about you guys’ team, what kind of size do you have? Have seen some posts on here that we’re a big team, but not really. Nobody over 6’9 plays many minutes. But we are long and athletic with both murrays and pat mccaffery. And put on a pretty good press with that length forcing quite a few turnovers.
We’re not typically known for being a very good defensive team but have really turned the corner in February, mainly with Bohannon moving back to pg and inserting Tony Perkins into the starting lineup. Perkins has probably been the biggest surprise this season, once put into the starting lineup he has really produced on both ends.
Idk how deep you guys go, but that is one thing we usually have to our advantage. We play 10 guys every game and sometimes, like yesterday, up to 12 depending on matchups. Keegan is obviously the focal point of the D, but we get points from lots of players.
Anyway, thats my 2cents, good luck to you guys and Go Hawks! 😁
Toussaint and Gilyard average the same number of steals per possession, they both steal the ball on 4.75% of possessions they are on the court. Toussaint is infinitesimally higher steal percentage, they rank 6th and 8th in D1 for steal percentage this year. Gilyard just plays 40 minutes every night so his raw numbers are higher.

Probably a big reason why every team in the Big10 has a nearly .500 record in conference and high NET rankings. I think thats their system every year to get 8 teams in the tournament. Let the refs propel crappy teams over a couple of good teams at home, so they get quad 1 wins and big NET boosts, lol. Then come tourney time 4 or 5 of them are gone by the first weekend.
Consistently is a conference with 1 or 2 very good teams and 6 or 7 very mediocre teams.
When was the last time a Big 10 team won the NC? Lol
I’m pretty sure the last one was Michigan State in 2000, but I may be wrong on that.

I’m pretty sure the last one was Michigan State in 2000, but I may be wrong on that.
I figured Big might legitmately ask when the A10's last champhionship was - in Lunardi's dumb virtual fake tourney, didn't Dayton and Obi pull it off in 2020?

Toussaint and Gilyard average the same number of steals per possession, they both steal the ball on 4.75% of possessions they are on the court. Toussaint is infinitesimally higher steal percentage, they rank 6th and 8th in D1 for steal percentage this year. Gilyard just plays 40 minutes every night so his raw numbers are higher.
Toussaint when I watch Iowa some times out of control and turnover . I think in matchup , Gilyard makes a big problem for Toussaint.

Reactions: spider fan
Toussaint when I watch Iowa some times out of control and turnover . I think in matchup , Gilyard makes a big problem for Toussaint.
In terms of other aspects of the game, Gilyard has 2x the assist to turnover ratio of Toissant and is a much bigger offensive threat. They are only similar in terms of steals.

Bottom line here is that any game in the NCAA tournament will be a tough one. Look, we underachieved for two years until we finally woke up and played the way we've been capable of playing these past four days. Of course we won't be favored against Iowa, but have we been favored in any of the games we've won in the NCAAs (except for Morehead State)? I doubt it.

I'm sure Iowa is very good, but they are also barely ranked, so let's not act like this is some impossibility. They're playing very well right now and so are we. Davidson was ranked as high as 19 or so this year and we played them even twice. First-round games also tend to be the ones with the best chances for upsets, for a whole host of reasons.

In order to win, either team is going to have to play a very good game.
I'm going to put my marbles on Gilly's Field Of Dreams Team.

I figured Big might legitmately ask when the A10's last champhionship was - in Lunardi's dumb virtual fake tourney, didn't Dayton and Obi pull it off in 2020?
Haha don’t remind me. They also thought Obi was a better college player than Luka Garza that year 🥴

If the contest was who is better at hiding from the Empire on Tattoine Obi would win hands down.

He has a tendency to play a little fast. But he’s been MUCH better this year in that regard. Toussaint is also a backup but I expect him to play quite a bit this game because of the matchup with Gilyard. I think he probably does fine against Gilyard, he’s seen plenty of excellent guards this season and done just fine…see yesterday against lottery pick Ivey. Ulis is another guard that will probably be utilized, he isn’t as quick as Joe but he’s a solid on ball defender and also taller at 6’3.
So if you think Gilyard is going to be a problem for toussaint…how big a problem is keegan going to be for whoever’s guarding him? 🤷‍♂️

He has a tendency to play a little fast. But he’s been MUCH better this year in that regard. Toussaint is also a backup but I expect him to play quite a bit this game because of the matchup with Gilyard. I think he probably does fine against Gilyard, he’s seen plenty of excellent guards this season and done just fine…see yesterday against lottery pick Ivey. Ulis is another guard that will probably be utilized, he isn’t as quick as Joe but he’s a solid on ball defender and also taller at 6’3.
So if you think Gilyard is going to be a problem for toussaint…how big a problem is keegan going to be for whoever’s guarding him? 🤷‍♂️
Haha you and I both know Keegan is a problem for any and everyone. The ultimate NCAA weapon and destroyer of dreams for our opponents 🙂

• Love
Reactions: Slim45
Not me .. as some folks know on here, I wear crazy, awesome shirts to games versus traditional UR attire .. In this case, I should have written a crazy awesome shirt (since it was worn to all 4 games) that will soon be found in Buffalo ..
Are you planning on washing the shirt before Thursday? Asking for a friend...

Last edited:
Seems like Iowa can go 10 deep. Obviously Murray is going to get his points and rebounds no matter what we do. Surprisingly, he's not a good FT shooter, so we should use our fouls.

I think the key is Goose locking down Bohanon, who seems to be basically a gunner and little else. (He doesn't rebound at all, doesn't seem to distribute much.) Seems like a Loyer type, to use a Davidson comparison.

Cayo will need to win some rebounding battles with Rebraca, who (judging only from stats) appears to be a very similar type of player – some games in double digits, many games in single digits scoring-wise, but he's in there to rebound. Neither is a good FT shooter.

Feels like Patrick McCaffrey is the wild card. Can Burton keep him under control? Also, is everyone on Iowa's team a brother of someone else on the team? What is going on?
I know we have already straighten this out, but...
This sounds like a good plan, foul Keegan (74%) and send Kris (64%) to the line.
Now how to execute it?

Are you plan on washing the shirt before Thursday? Asking for a friend...
In all honestly it’s like another miracle - with its silky water proof type miracle and clean undershirt on each day, it promise Spidernation it won’t be an issue …

On a serious note, Keegan Murray is probably the best offensive player in college basketball this year. It will be interesting to see what our defensive strategy is.
If you want to slow him down, you're probably going to have to commit 1 and 1/2 players to him on defense (help off Rebraca).

Is Tanya Harding available?
If only we had a certain esteemed national champion coach - who could look down the bench at our 57 walkons and assign such duty. I jest.

I don't think we have anyone to match up. I do think Goose will likely get the duty because I would really worry about Burton picking up fouls at a fast pace. Goose gives up quite a bit of size though.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
If only we had a certain esteemed national champion coach - who could look down the bench at our 57 walkons and assign such duty. I jest.

I don't think we have anyone to match up. I do think Goose will likely get the duty because I would really worry about Burton picking up fouls at a fast pace. Goose gives up quite a bit of size though.
Gus will stop his ability to Finnish (stolen from by Buddy)

Reactions: spider23
Anything can happen in March. As a long-time Hawkeye who has seen us fall victim to upsets and heartbreak more often than not this time of year, I am ALWAYS skeptical of overconfident Hawkeye fans who pencil us in for the Final Four.

Given our tournament history post-Dr. Tom Davis, just getting to the second weekend would be beyond my expectations.
Hey hawkeyebob, We respect your team a lot. Sorry, I was just fired up and tired of 11 years of disrespect, mostly from the other side of town! For us, just getting to this NCAA this year was completely above (almost galactically) most of our expectations. I knew our Spiders had the capability and talent, but I am very surprised that it all came together full circle after a rough regular. Regardless, I hope Thursday is the showdown for the ages, win or lose!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT