ADVERTISEMENT

BEAT IOWA!

First sentence is a lie.
Sorry but what part of what I said felt like smack? I think you were the only Richmond “fan” to get offended. Just trying to share a bit about the Iowa team.

EDIT- It appears I have been banned from posting any longer. Not sure what I said that upset an admin so much to do so, however, it’s curious as I don’t recall any sort of smack talk. Please enlighten me. (Assuming “SpiderK” is the admin here…)

Anyway, congrats on the A10 title and best of luck Thursday. Hope you don’t treat all your opposing teams fans as warmly as you have us.

Last edited:
There is a reason it is labeled “March Madness”. We have not packed the suitcases and already see madness from rich soil opponents fans. Iowa you have a storied program. You have my respect and attention. I must warn you not one person on this thread will touch the game ball Thursday. I will quote a scene from my favorite movie Hoosiers “That’s my team on the court”. Trust me they coming to play. It does not matter when the last team danced. We are accustomed to smack talk. Here’s to a good ole fashioned hardwood brawl.

I hope VT4700 is somewhere having a stiff drink with a big smile on his face right now. Huge props to him for not conducting a big “I told you so” tour. He certainly deserves it.

If he still browses the boards I’m sure he finds it funny that the same couple posters calling him disgusting names daily are now all high and mighty on the Spiders. I get a nice chuckle out of it.

Fair point, but like you all feel good about the way your team is playing the last weekend, many Iowa fans have felt that way about this Hawk team the past 6 weeks. There’s not a team in the country I legitimately don’t think we can beat. Will we? Only time will tell.

And you are right, history is not on our side. We also said that going into the Big Ten Tourney last week. This team just feels different, and they are playing for each other. Much different than any Iowa team I’ve ever watched.
Ok I can respect that. You feel this team is special and it looks like the analysts do too. You are obviously the better team, as the spread suggests. Im only trying to get you and other Iowa fans a little nervous coming into the game. Its March, all teams are talented and can shock anyone.

The only thing I will add about this matchup, if you haven't seen much of Iowa, is there will be moments when you'll turn to a friend, spouse, etc. and ask "what the hell just happened?". If the defense isn't dialed in, they will expose to the max.

Great board you have & good luck Thursday.

I suspect neither team will have much time to prepare for the other. Both just played 4 in 4, Monday off or extremely light, Tuesday practice and learn your opponent, Wednesday travel, Thursday play.

Leaving tomorrow I think. Wednesday we have our ncaa open practice from 1145-1225.

Reactions: urfan1
Have a safe trip. Hopefully you are there Thursday and Saturday

No I meant the team is leaving tomorrow - Tuesday. I was responding to URFAN1's post about Tuesday prep then Wednesday travel. The team I expect leaves tomorrow, I doubt they fly out early Wed. to get to their open ncaa practice slot. don't know their travel plans but seems like a reasonable guess.

I, on the other hand, will leave Wednesday so thanks for your concern!

Reactions: SpiderK
Jesus there’s a lot of iowa fans on here. All y’all must be related right? I know that happens a lot in the Midwest.

I hope VT4700 is somewhere having a stiff drink with a big smile on his face right now. Huge props to him for not conducting a big “I told you so” tour. He certainly deserves it.

If he still browses the boards I’m sure he finds it funny that the same couple posters calling him disgusting names daily are now all high and mighty on the Spiders. I get a nice chuckle out of it.
Hi ply. Appreciate it. I haven't posted in a few months for obvious reasons, but I do sometimes check in on the board to see some videos, interviews, quotes, and tweets. Sometimes hard to find with all the constant negative talk, but usually I could find something meaningful.

I'm just so happy for the players. To start with the 12 and 13 win seasons, to hang in there and turn that into a 24-7 season, only to have covid ruin it, then thinking maybe last year could be normal, but covid and injuries destroyed that year. So, do they transfer? Play overseas? Just be done with hoops? No, they all came back. Then, the tough final minute losses happened, and does it destroy another season? No. Does the constant negative chatter ruin the season? No.
They stayed together, had each other's backs, had the coaches backs, and they won the A-10 title! And, won it with class, and won it with some incredible don't give up comebacks. I love these guys! All 20 of them! And, congrats to the coaching staff, who I know worked their tails off all year to give the team the best chance to win, and to the fans who stuck with this team through everything. Sunday was an awesome day!

Hi ply. Appreciate it. I haven't posted in a few months for obvious reasons, but I do sometimes check in on the board to see some videos, interviews, quotes, and tweets. Sometimes hard to find with all the constant negative talk, but usually I could find something meaningful.

I'm just so happy for the players. To start with the 12 and 13 win seasons, to hang in there and turn that into a 24-7 season, only to have covid ruin it, then thinking maybe last year could be normal, but covid and injuries destroyed that year. So, do they transfer? Play overseas? Just be done with hoops? No, they all came back. Then, the tough final minute losses happened, and does it destroy another season? No. Does the constant negative chatter ruin the season? No.
They stayed together, had each other's backs, had the coaches backs, and they won the A-10 title! And, won it with class, and won it with some incredible don't give up comebacks. I love these guys! All 20 of them! And, congrats to the coaching staff, who I know worked their tails off all year to give the team the best chance to win, and to the fans who stuck with this team through everything. Sunday was an awesome day!
Yes the coaching staff did a masterful job.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

I miss reading you post. Hope you are more active going forward.

Are we? Where? Or are you just still bitter about a loss 6 months ago? ;-)

FWIW Iowa gave up early points every game this year and clamped down in the 2nd half. That’s just how our defense is built. So it’s really difficult to say how that game ends with or without the injury.

Regardless, we are here for basketball. Best of luck on Thursday to the Spiders. Hawks are playing exceptional ball right now, and for once in my life I can say I am confident in this team whenever I watch them. Never been able to say that about an Iowa team in the past, including last year’s 2-seed Garza squad.

Lots of talk about Joe Toussiant on here, however it’s fairly pointless considering he really only plays 10 minutes / game. He’s a big contributor, but he is far from your biggest problem. Your issue will be that we have 3 6-8 slasher wings that can rain 3’s, and 4 proven guards that all have different qualities. Keegan, Kris, PMac, and Perkins are matchup problems for anyone in the country - let alone a smaller sized A10 school. That doesn’t include Bohannon, Joe T, Connor, or Sandfordt who all can fill it up and/or play solid D (except JBo).

Anything can happen in March, but hoping for a 15-20 pt win.
Damn. Can we surrender now?

Reactions: Long Island Spiders

I was kinda hoping he would come dunk on some posters the way I have been with my VCU friends the past few days. Unlike me, guess its easier to resist the temptation.

Reactions: plydogg
All I know about Iowa is that they have “real fans”. The kind that show up no matter if the team sucks and they never complain. They are meat & potatoes people. They hate billboards because words scare them. They don’t care about misspellings or bad grammar…and they love a good regatta.

I think that’s everything Hardt has taught me, but I’m sure I’m blatantly ignoring some meaningful factual information (coincidence???)
Now this was funny, also Hardt was not aware of practice facilities until he took a tour of VCU.

I was kinda hoping he would come dunk on some posters the way I have been with my VCU friends the past few days. Unlike me, guess its easier to resist the temptation.
Great run for the Spiders, but I don't see how this run changes all the issues Mooney had all season and past seasons. I guess it was all a part of a grand scheme the last 10 years, and getting down double digits twice in the A10? I really don't see where he would slam dunk on posters that were valuing the success of the basketball program over that of one individual? I mean I think that was what really irked a lot of RICHMOND fans about his posts. Hell coach Fezz was pretty damn critical of Mooney recently, watch out for former players! Though you are pretty big and they know who you are so you are probably ok.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
Jesus there’s a lot of iowa fans on here. All y’all must be related right? I know that happens a lot in the Midwest.
That inbreeding is more of a Southern thing. Not that we don't have a lot of rednecks in Iowa. In fact we have as many as anywhere in the country. We just do a better job of keeping ours off TV than places like Tennessee or Alabammy.

Couple concerning things have seen posted:

1) Iowa plays 10 or more players. A week ago this would have been a bigger concern, but if we can avoid foul trouble these guys will not get tired, and Gilly can play 40 in his sleep now.
2) Iowa likes to change defenses and throw a zone out there to slow the offense down. To me, this could be an issue. We have seen that in the past seem to baffle us. If this happens we need Goose and maybe Crab hit some 3s , and yes in this situation work Sherod in for a couple minutes.

Have a lot of respect for Iowa and their overwhelmingly respectful fan posts here. Lot of good info. Credit to them and their school. They are a damned good team and a most worthy opponent.

That said, the Spiders are not chopped liver and you are in for much more of a game than many of your posters expect.

Curious what type of school you all are? Is it mostly local kids going to a solid regional school or are you more of a private that pulls kids from all over? Where do kids land after they graduate? Assume most of your fanbase went to college there? How old is the school? Pretty part of the country but personally haven't spent any time in Richmond
I can take this one. 7 Gen Spider here. Our fair University was founded in 1830. It has about 4,000 students. It has grown, matured and prospered with age. Our school now has an international student body consistently of the best from all over the world. Our students are placed in top positions in businesses all over the country. The top 100 companies from all over the world recruit from the University of Richmond. That said, some of the humanity has been lost from the simplicity of times gone by. Such things are lost. Things like
the last truly great panty raid on the girls dorm in 1984
the theft of the portrait of William and Mary found in a UR dorm in 1956 or
the cars discovered in Westhampton Lake or
the decision to invest the entire endowment in Confederate bonds in 1861 ( one of several times the school almost went bankrupt) or
the civil war battles fought on campus.
Most of the Old Breed are old fashioned patriotic Americans.
Ah, the good old days.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I can take this one. 7 Gen Spider here. Our fair University was founded in 1830. It has about 4,000 students. It has grown, matured and prospered with age. Our school now has an international student body consistently of the best from all over the world. Our students are placed in top positions in businesses all over the country. The top 100 companies from all over the world recruit from the University of Richmond. That said, some of the humanity has been lost from the simplicity of times gone by. Such things are lost. Things like
the last truly great panty raid on the girls dorm in 1984
the theft of the portrait of William and Mary found in a UR dorm in 1956 or
the cars discovered in Westhampton Lake or
the decision to invest the entire endowment in Confederate bonds in 1861 ( one of several times the school almost went bankrupt) or
Most of the Old Breed are old fashioned patriotic Americans.
Ah, the good old days.
One other thing, our school reflects the history of the author of the TV series, The Waltons.

Have a lot of respect for Iowa and their overwhelmingly respectful fan posts here. Lot of good info. Credit to them and their school. They are a damned good team and a most worthy opponent.

That said, the Spiders are not chopped liver and you are in for much more of a game than many of your posters expect.
All we need to do is look at their second to last game, against Indiana. They won by three on a last-second three from Bohanon against the Hoosiers...a fellow 12 seed.

Great run for the Spiders, but I don't see how this run changes all the issues Mooney had all season and past seasons. I guess it was all a part of a grand scheme the last 10 years, and getting down double digits twice in the A10? I really don't see where he would slam dunk on posters that were valuing the success of the basketball program over that of one individual? I mean I think that was what really irked a lot of RICHMOND fans about his posts. Hell coach Fezz was pretty damn critical of Mooney recently, watch out for former players! Though you are pretty big and they know who you are so you are probably ok.
Not sure who you are referring to "you"?

Time will tell. We have underachieved at times past 18 months, but without covid, likely a team that made 2 of the past 3 NCAA tournaments and it would be ridiculous to have this conversation. Logically, one would be crazy to argue a change is needed. Those are the breaks though. 8-22 vs VCU (Which to me was a bigger offense then the NCAA drought) but half those wins have been with these players.

All's fair in love and war. I could make the argument here that plenty of posters only agenda posting here over the years was firing Mooney as his was defending it. I could post on the off topic board about puppies and it would turn into a should we fire Chris Mooney debate. I get it. People want change when things get stale which save 2019-2020 it had been. Not arguing for/against it. I just think some people take their opinions way too seriously if they don't see eye to eye and feel the need to behave toxic towards some posters that don't agree with them. I think we've all gotten on here after a bad loss after having too much to drink once and gotten a little to aggressive with a poster from time to time, but nothing like I saw with what VT had to deal with. Sometimes he would bring it on himself, other times he would make a salient point and be blasted regardless. I've disagreed with him in the past and didn't have much problem with his opinion in most instances or how he defended it because of how posters attacked him.

I remember seeing posters congratulate WM on firing shaver and how great it was for the school and how we had to follow suite if we ever wanted to get back to the NCAAs (WM is 33-48 since firing him) , begging us to take Nathan Davis (Who was hired by an AD we wanted to fire, hasn't had a winning season since 2019). These are some of the same posters that wanted Mooney gone and thought they were right for it. Nothing wrong with wanting that either, but it doesn't mean people are right. We get one poster who doesn't think the same way on it and he got vilified for it.

Think everyone can agree pro/anti Mooney or neutral its nice to end this f****ing drought which is most important.

Last edited:
?? Story time. I don't recall any fighting on the west end of Richmond. Besides, we were downtown until what early 20th century? Thought all the battles were either to the east (Atlee) or south.

ChiaPet21, we are all hoping for 15-20 pt win. Neither of these two teams plays much defense. First one to 80 wins.
I've gotta say, after watching us in the Big Ten tournament and then watching Davidson vs. you guys, it looked like Davidson was moving in slow motion on offense. Not saying we're going to run you off the court, but there was a noticeable difference in pace of play if you're looking for a comparison.

Iowa fan here. It’s cool reading posts from all your fans. Some things I haven’t really seen posted. Iowa will has a tendency to go off for a dozen in a row in a heartbeat. I think your coach needs to be aggressive with timeouts. Iowa will shoot crazy quick threes. I think Fran subscribes to the theory that a wide open deep three might be better than any shto you get later in the shot clock.

Iowa has trouble with athletic thick defenders who work hard on defense. If the motion offense is put in jello, they really struggle. It’s going to be about Iowa and their outside shooting as well as Richmond keeping Keegan off the offensive boards.

Iowa fan here. It’s cool reading posts from all your fans. Some things I haven’t really seen posted. Iowa will has a tendency to go off for a dozen in a row in a heartbeat. I think your coach needs to be aggressive with timeouts. Iowa will shoot crazy quick threes. I think Fran subscribes to the theory that a wide open deep three might be better than any shto you get later in the shot clock.

Iowa has trouble with athletic thick defenders who work hard on defense. If the motion offense is put in jello, they really struggle. It’s going to be about Iowa and their outside shooting as well as Richmond keeping Keegan off the offensive boards.
Hmmmm - great insight - most of this crazy group of Spider fans I think believes we tend to be low to the draw on taking timeouts so hope Coach Mooney reads ths

?? Story time. I don't recall any fighting on the west end of Richmond. Besides, we were downtown until what early 20th century? Thought all the battles were either to the east (Atlee) or south.
Yes, according to my source Cannon Memorial Chapel was built on land not far from the "site of a Civil War battle." I have not verified the exact reference, The Hidden History of Richmond. However, there were many skirmishes in the area. One of Dahlgren`s raids passed the corner of Three Chopt and Horsepen Roads near campus. An historical marker near the rescue squad marks the spot. It was related, I believe, to the Dahlgren affair. I must confess I was not an eye witness.

Last edited:
Not Atlee (although Jeb Stuart was killed at Yellow Tavern a short distance away). Mechanicsville was the pivot point. Beaver Dam, Gaines Mill, Cold Harbor and several more significant, but less known battles. I live here. We got crossways one time on the board which I regret. Come over I'll give you a tour. (Portion of outer defenses of Richmond were on UR campus. Used to be breastworks behind the "Slop Shop").

Reactions: Gallipoli

Our coach spends timeouts like they're the family jewels. Likes to save them so he can go offense/defense substitution late in the game. If you are as good as you say you are then that won't matter. We'll go deep in the shot clock and try to slow the game down. If we hit 3s we'll stay in the game. Gilyard is fun to watch and he's going to make somebody look stupid before the day is over.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT