ADVERTISEMENT

BEAT IOWA!

No not really. If the only standard you have is national championships then all you are really saying is the conference with the most dominant team is the best. The Big Ten is at the top every year because more often than not it beats most competition outside it's conference. It has the biggest tv footprint as well which means it brings the most revenue to the table. Many of the teams that get beat from the Big Ten every year are the lower seed. They are supposed to lose if seeding is to be believed. The Big Ten by the way has won the Big Ten Acc challenge the last three years and is 6-2-3 over the last ten years. We have had multiple teams in the final four not just Michigan State. I don't think we ever have someone outside of Michigan State or Michigan that people think could make a serious run at a national championship but then again no one would be surprised if it happened from someone else like the team everyone hates Wisconsin.

Curious what type of school you all are? Is it mostly local kids going to a solid regional school or are you more of a private that pulls kids from all over? Where do kids land after they graduate? Assume most of your fanbase went to college there? How old is the school? Pretty part of the country but personally haven't spent any time in Richmond
You have to admit that the big tens style of play is difficult to watch. How many reviews and timeouts outs do there have to be in the final minute of an 8 point game. It’s every single game in the big ten I've seen pretty much. No one likes the big ten except you nerds from the Midwest.

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Okay fellas, which one of us needs to answer his questions about who we are? Apparently he's not curious enough to do the research himself. Iowa, by the way, is one of my favorite flyover states. The time that I spent on the Iowa campus was in the winter so I didn't see her with her best dress on but what I remember was very institutional. And "is this Heaven " not even close. You going down Big Bird.
This is what is known as "East Coast Friendly." Language warning below (and not exactly in line with my politics, but whatevs).

Reactions: szohn and BC Hawk
Okay fellas, which one of us needs to answer his questions about who we are? Apparently he's not curious enough to do the research himself. Iowa, by the way, is one of my favorite flyover states. The time that I spent on the Iowa campus was in the winter so I didn't see her with her best dress on but what I remember was very institutional. And "is this Heaven " not even close. You going down Big Bird.
Haha I laughed out loud at “one of my favorite flyover states”. I liked that you called him out on his weak/backhanded question.

If you guys have a really good D and a decent O you can be competitive in this game. Win? I mean, I'm a Hawk fan so NO! ;-)
Well, our defense has been super porous all year, but somehow during the A-10 tournament we turned it up to a level we haven't seen all year. Offensively, we have 2 two thousand point scorers and neither of them are our leading scorer, so we got talent but we are prone to offensive droughts and being over reliant on the 3 ball.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Well, our defense has been super porous all year, but somehow during the A-10 tournament we turned it up to a level we haven't seen all year. Offensively, we have 2 two thousand point scorers and neither of them are our leading scorer, so we got talent but we are prone to offensive droughts and being over reliant on the 3 ball.
Teams can go off from the perimeter on us if our defense is broken down with penetration.

Wow, two 2000 guys on the same team. Doesn't happen often.

Curious what type of school you all are? Is it mostly local kids going to a solid regional school or are you more of a private that pulls kids from all over? Where do kids land after they graduate? Assume most of your fanbase went to college there? How old is the school? Pretty part of the country but personally haven't spent any time in Richmond

UR is a highly selective private school with just a little more than 4k total undergrad and graduate students (we accept 28% of applicants). Lots of kids from the Northeast and a growing number of international students. We have a leadership school and a business school, as well as a law school. We're routinely ranked among the top 20 private colleges and universities and top-25 in national liberal arts colleges.

After graduation, most of us hire VCU grads to work for us while we count our millions. I kid, I kid. No one actually graduates from VCU.

We also have one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation (Princeton Review named it #1 in 2020). The school was founded in 1830 and in 1969 received a $50 million donation from E. Claiborne Robins (of AH Robins Pharmaceutical), which at the time was the single largest donation a living benefactor had ever given to any college or university. It basically began our trajectory to where we are today. We have an endowment of $3.3 billion.

Last edited:
Good to know about the ball handling, since our 2 guards average 12 steals per possession, so I expect Iowa to take a total of 7 shots.

Both of our 2000 point scorers made all 2000 this season so that should help...

;) ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Plus they can hit the 3 better than any team in the country. One thing id say we have going for us is that they are not a great defensive team. They give up points, so I think we should go deep in the shot clock then look for a post up or bd cuts. We dont turn the ball over so that should limit their transition game. This is one game where we should limit our 3’s to open looks, because they make a living off fast breaks on long rebounds. And for once I totally agree that we dont go after the offensive boards. In a half court game we have a chance, imo.
Actually South Dakota ST is at 44.2%, Davidson 8th at 38.5%, but...
Iowa at 36.8% and 35th is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't like that in B10 games they are #1 in causing and preventing TOs...

Reactions: fatherspider
Actually South Dakota ST is at 44.2%, Davidson 8th at 38.5%, but...
Iowa at 36.8% and 35th is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't like that in B10 games they are #1 in causing and preventing TOs...
We have hit on 41.6% in our last ten games, 107/257 (since Bohannon moved to PG, Perkins in for Joe Toussaint).

UR is a highly selective private school with just a little more than 4k total undergrad and graduate students (we accept 28% of applicants). Lots of kids from the Northeast and a growing number of international students. We have a leadership school and a business school, as well as a law school. We're routinely ranked among the top 20 private colleges and universities and top top-25 in national liberal arts colleges.

After graduation, most of us hire VCU grads to work for us while we count our millions. I kid, I kid. No one actually graduates from VCU.

We also have one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation (Princeton Review named it #1 in 2020). The school was founded in 1830 and in 1969 received a $50 million donation from E. Claiborne Robins (of AH Robins Pharmaceutical), which at the time was the single largest donation a living benefactor had ever given to any college or university. It basically began our trajectory to where we are today. We have an endowment of $3.3 billion.
This might be as good as Gilly's virgin comment ...

Best advice for Coach McCafferty is have someone other than your point guard bring the ball up. And hopefully your point isn't a big scorer so your should position him as far as possible from other players.

What am I saying, a -9 fav should just have to play their game to win. The inferior team usually would have to make adjustments. Just to warn you, Chris Mooney is our coach.

Seems like Iowa can go 10 deep. Obviously Murray is going to get his points and rebounds no matter what we do. Surprisingly, he's not a good FT shooter, so we should use our fouls.

I think the key is Goose locking down Bohanon, who seems to be basically a gunner and little else. (He doesn't rebound at all, doesn't seem to distribute much.) Seems like a Loyer type, to use a Davidson comparison.

Cayo will need to win some rebounding battles with Rebraca, who (judging only from stats) appears to be a very similar type of player – some games in double digits, many games in single digits scoring-wise, but he's in there to rebound. Neither is a good FT shooter.

Feels like Patrick McCaffrey is the wild card. Can Burton keep him under control? Also, is everyone on Iowa's team a brother of someone else on the team? What is going on?
Keegan Murray, for the season, is 137-185. 74.1%. Not sure fouling him is a good game plan.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Honest question, if that's the case, why is Richmond's defensive efficiency so low?
As noted, our defense pretty much was bad all year, until the A10 tourney. Gilyard is a great steal machine, but as you see on the diminutive side. Gustavson was out for a good part of the year, one of our better defenders. Grace and Golden very good players, but not rim protectors or overly physical, though Grace seems to improve every game in that department.

Reactions: iowahawkeyes1982
As noted, our defense pretty much was bad all year, until the A10 tourney. Gilyard is a great steal machine, but as you see on the diminutive side. Gustavson was out for a good part of the year, one of our better defenders. Grace and Golden very good players, but not rim protectors or overly physical, though Grace seems to improve every game in that department.
Thanks for the info.

Iowa's weakness has always been defense under Fran. The team got considerably better on that side of the ball as the season progressed. I think if you asked most Iowa fans (at least the smart ones), they'd tell you we feel confident because when the team plays even mediocre defense, the elite scoring makes it really hard to lose.

The thing that hurts B1G teams is how the game is called from an officiating standpoint in the tournament. The B1G tends to be a very physical league where the refs "let them play." The Purdue/Iowa game yesterday was a street fight. Iowa needs to be ready to adjust.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
He's only the all-time leader in steals in NCAA history. This play sums him up. He was an animal in the A10 tournament.

Watch some joe toussaint highlights. 4steals in 10 minutes against purdue yesterday. Will be a good matchup between those 2. Joe not much of an offensive player, but extremely quick and disruptive on defense.
Don’t know a lot about you guys’ team, what kind of size do you have? Have seen some posts on here that we’re a big team, but not really. Nobody over 6’9 plays many minutes. But we are long and athletic with both murrays and pat mccaffery. And put on a pretty good press with that length forcing quite a few turnovers.
We’re not typically known for being a very good defensive team but have really turned the corner in February, mainly with Bohannon moving back to pg and inserting Tony Perkins into the starting lineup. Perkins has probably been the biggest surprise this season, once put into the starting lineup he has really produced on both ends.
Idk how deep you guys go, but that is one thing we usually have to our advantage. We play 10 guys every game and sometimes, like yesterday, up to 12 depending on matchups. Keegan is obviously the focal point of the D, but we get points from lots of players.
Anyway, thats my 2cents, good luck to you guys and Go Hawks! 😁

We have hit on 41.6% in our last ten games, 107/257 (since Bohannon moved to PG, Perkins in for Joe Toussaint).
Thanks, I knew you had gotten better, so was trying to find a quick way to summarize recent games.
Hoped conference games was it, but apparently not.

Wait, so you were not supposed to be good - yet your coach somehow got more players and molded them and avoided a down year? That is a foreign concept here in spidernation. We too often have the opposite side.
Picked to finish around 10th in the BIG. Lost 2 to NBA, Nunge transferred to Xavier and CJ Frederick transferred to Kentucky. I think most fans believed we would be a bubble team this year. One thing we had going for us was most players had been in the program, Fran added Rebraca through the portal, Riley Mulvey and Payton Sandfort are frosh. But 8 of the top 10 are returning players. Fran has done an unbelievable job fitting the right pieces together this year and got us hitting our stride at the right time.

Thanks, I knew you had gotten better, so was trying to find a quick way to summarize recent games.
Hoped conference games was it, but apparently not.
No worries. The thing I've noticed with this team is that we're rarely forced into taking bad shots. They share and move the ball so well and we legitimately have about six shooters who can knock them down with regularity.

Also, something else you might see from Iowa if man defense isn't working is a switch to zone. With as much screen and cut as you guys run, I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 2-3 some. Also depends on how well your three pointers are falling.

No worries. The thing I've noticed with this team is that we're rarely forced into taking bad shots. They share and move the ball so well and we legitimately have about six shooters who can knock them down with regularity.

Also, something else you might see from Iowa if man defense isn't working is a switch to zone. With as much screen and cut as you guys run, I wouldn't be surprised if we went with 2-3 some. Also depends on how well your three pointers are falling.
Thanks for sharing urmite & Brewhawk

Why would I really care? Just curious. The smack talk is funny though. Keep flying over by the way....we like that

Reactions: millerhawk
UR is a highly selective private school with just a little more than 4k total undergrad and graduate students (we accept 28% of applicants). Lots of kids from the Northeast and a growing number of international students. We have a leadership school and a business school, as well as a law school. We're routinely ranked among the top 20 private colleges and universities and top top-25 in national liberal arts colleges.

Very cool. Thank you.

Why would I really care? Just curious. The smack talk is funny though. Keep flying over by the way....we like that
Leaving Waterloo at 1:30 AM Monday morning after our Northern Iowa victory to catch at 545 flight at DES with coldest and strongest winds I have ever seen was quite the experience .. I'll be back - had good time when in DES for Drake game as well.

Yeah, me too. I'd wish you luck but it sounds like you really don't need it. Saving all the luck for our guys because we could sure use it. On any given day, it could be better to be lucky than good.

Watch some joe toussaint highlights. 4steals in 10 minutes against purdue yesterday. Will be a good matchup between those 2. Joe not much of an offensive player, but extremely quick and disruptive on defense.
Don’t know a lot about you guys’ team, what kind of size do you have? Have seen some posts on here that we’re a big team, but not really. Nobody over 6’9 plays many minutes. But we are long and athletic with both murrays and pat mccaffery. And put on a pretty good press with that length forcing quite a few turnovers.
We’re not typically known for being a very good defensive team but have really turned the corner in February, mainly with Bohannon moving back to pg and inserting Tony Perkins into the starting lineup. Perkins has probably been the biggest surprise this season, once put into the starting lineup he has really produced on both ends.
Idk how deep you guys go, but that is one thing we usually have to our advantage. We play 10 guys every game and sometimes, like yesterday, up to 12 depending on matchups. Keegan is obviously the focal point of the D, but we get points from lots of players.
Anyway, thats my 2cents, good luck to you guys and Go Hawks! 😁
Toussaint steal stats per minute are good. Gilyard is partly all time, because of his total career minutes.

Iowa stats

Spider stats

Reactions: Slim45
Really like the back and forth discourse with Iowa fans. Maybe their is such a thing as Iowa nice, but we've all had our football experiences with Northern Iowa and suffice to say this is quite different.
Wonder what the spread would be on a Spiders / Hawkeyes fball game ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT