ADVERTISEMENT

BEAT IOWA!

This will surely piss off some iowa fans but the big ten is massively overrated. I’m sorry but they didn’t deserve to get 9 teams in the tournament. Big ten every year gets an absurd amount of teams in the NCAA’s but most fold up early and are out before the sweet 16. That will play out again this year. I bet there will at best be 3 big ten teams left by the sweet 16 and that there will also be an ACC team not named Duke that will go further in the tournament than the farthest big ten team.
Also to iowa fans; not saying this so much about you guys but more so about the rest of the big ten; the style of play in that league is brutal to watch. All it is is throw the ball to the big man inside and hack each other for 40 minutes. It also seems to me that it’s a league rule in the big ten to have as many reviews and timeouts in the final minute of the game as possible, even when one team is up by like 8 or so. Big ten is an absolute joke and gets all the attention it gets because they got a good tv deal. You can’t deny the facts.

Tell us about this 48-46 game with Rutgers. What the hell happened there?
Frankly, Rutgers had us on the ropes last Friday for a lot of the first half.

Rutgers is a tough matchup for us--as are a lot of B1G teams--because they are always (seemingly) more athletic than us.

While slow and plodding may not be the most accurate way to describe us, it also isn't the poorest way, either. In that respect, Fran McCaffery has done a great job recruiting better athletes, as well as adapting players to his style. Case in point: Luka Garza, who came in as kind of a big/tall doofus, but had the toughness and work ethic that FranMac saw as moldable.

I'd feel better about this game if it was in the round of 32 and they didn't have 4 days to prepare for us. Going to be a tall task, I expect it to be closer than the experts think though. The Spiders rarely get blown out, think it happened twice this year maybe.

If Iowa is lazy or slow to react on defense then we'll have a field day on that end of the court. But I'm not sure our guys will be able to stop them on the other end.

Also if you guys need timeouts at any point during the game, fee free to borrow some of ours, our coach rarely uses them.

I want to see Grant take his shots.
Grant's playing to his strengths and doing it well. form looks fine but it's just not his game. he's 2 for his last 20 from 3. he shouldn't shoot from outside unless it's late in the shot clock.

Seems like Iowa can go 10 deep. Obviously Murray is going to get his points and rebounds no matter what we do. Surprisingly, he's not a good FT shooter, so we should use our fouls.

I think the key is Goose locking down Bohanon, who seems to be basically a gunner and little else. (He doesn't rebound at all, doesn't seem to distribute much.) Seems like a Loyer type, to use a Davidson comparison.

Cayo will need to win some rebounding battles with Rebraca, who (judging only from stats) appears to be a very similar type of player – some games in double digits, many games in single digits scoring-wise, but he's in there to rebound. Neither is a good FT shooter.

Feels like Patrick McCaffrey is the wild card. Can Burton keep him under control? Also, is everyone on Iowa's team a brother of someone else on the team? What is going on?

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Seems like Iowa can go 10 deep. Obviously Murray is going to get his points and rebounds no matter what we do. Surprisingly, he's not a good FT shooter, so we should use our fouls.

I think the key is Goose locking down Bohanon, who seems to be basically a gunner and little else. (He doesn't rebound at all, doesn't seem to distribute much.) Seems like a Loyer type, to use a Davidson comparison.

Cayo will need to win some rebounding battles with Rebraca, who (judging only from stats) appears to be a very similar type of player – some games in double digits, many games in single digits scoring-wise, but he's in there to rebound. Neither is a good FT shooter.

Feels like Patrick McCaffrey is the wild card. Can Burton keep him under control? Also, is everyone on Iowa's team a brother of someone else on the team? What is going on?
Your guy should have no trouble keeping PatMac under control. The problem is PatMac keeping himself under control. I wish big bro Connor would sit him down and wise him up, sometimes.

That said, Patrick does have some athleticism, and is definitely not afraid to take his share of shots.

I personally remember that no one gave us a chance against mighty Syracuse, South Carolina, Auburn with the great Charles Barkley or Indiana but we slayed them all. This is our resolve to come together players, coaches, alums and all fans to give strength to our team. Go Spiders!!

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
As Penn State is my second favorite team (yeah, I know they are brutal), I watch a fair amount of Big 10 basketball. Iowa is legit, my heart sank when I saw our draw. Keegan Murray is a beast, leading scorer in the Big 10, can make shots from anywhere, clutch player. Bohannon is a super senior who has been around for ever, also big time shot maker. Coach son, Pat Mcafferty is a really good player as well. Won the Big 10 tournament, so they come in with just as much confidence as us.

I know some don't think the Big 10 is all of that but the committee felt differently giving them 9 bids (Michigan was undeserving, in my opinion).

So, I think it is a bad draw and a bad match up for us. That said, Gilly and company showed they belong and I'm counting them out. They are playing inspired basketball. I do think Gilly is the key. Big 10 is filled with big athletic dudes, pretty confident Iowa hasn't seen much of the super quick small guard that he will bring to the table. If he plays like he did against VCU and Davidson, were in this game until the end.

Reactions: thatsmy2cents
That was during a stretch when Iowa was playing really poorly. The rotations were odd and the coach was trying different combinations among ten guys who see regular playing time (Iowa practically makes line change and sometimes the bench outperforms the starters). Keegan Murray was also dealing with an illness and a minor injury so he was out a couple games and not himself in a couple others.

They even lost to Penn State on the road during that stretch. They shot horribly and the refs let Rutgers play Rutgers-style basketball: hack, hack, hack and few fouls called. It was an ugly game. Rutgers played their asses off for the full 40 minutes. It was suffocating defense. Iowa got revenge, though. Iowa only scored under 70 two times this year. You don't average 84 points per game with too many
games in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.

The Rutgers game was part of a 4-6 start in the B10 before ending the regular season on an 8-2 run with one loss coming by 5 to Michigan at home and another by 2 at Illinois. All 8 wins were by double figures and 4 were by 20+ (including a 26 point win over Michigan State). Everybody getting minutes has progressed over the course of the season. Not one guy or even five guys. Ten guys, the whole rotation has developed during the season. I've never seen anything like it.

I think Iowa scored 84 in the rematch with Rutgers in the BTT. Double-digit win. Mistakes have been fixed and the machine is humming.
Rutgers and Penn State are both really difficult places to play. Rutgers has a great home court advantage, Penn State doesn't but that team always shows out well at home for some reason and plays above themselves.

Reactions: Eternal Return

This is a fair assessment. Murray will get his. The problem you will have with this Iowa team is that a lot of others can get their's too. Bohanon locks himself down most of the game so unless he goes off I don't think he's your biggest threat. He only scored 7 yesterday. PMAC can be a wild card. He scored 16 against Indiana and nobody knew it. What's been surprising about this team is that their D has been very solid and even though they were outrebounded (yesterday 48-30) the past 2 games they can and will crash the boards.

I don't know much about Richmond so I mean no disrespect in any way but this will be a tough game for you guys. Iowa has really come together over the last 10 games. They have become very efficient on offense and the D is solid. But this is March Madness so best of luck.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I personally remember that no one gave us a chance against mighty Syracuse, South Carolina, Auburn with the great Charles Barkley or Indiana but we slayed them all. This is our resolve to come together players, coaches, alums and all fans to give strength to our team. Go Spiders!!
To be fair, many players from that 84 team are grandfathers now.

I read the Iowa Rivals link that someone here posted. In their minds, they’ve already blown past us. Their talk is next rounds into Final Four. Only a few comments posted about UR and not much concern on their part. These are fans that need to be shown an early exit Thursday scratching their heads.
No offense, but if we play at the level we have over the past month and a half, we’ll win by 20. If we have a let down game (very possible), you guys have a solid shot. Congrats on the big win yesterday and good luck on Thursday!

I expect a very physical game from Iowa. They are tall and strong. I see them as a better version of St. Louis. It will be a tough match-up for us.

I wouldn't describe Iowa as tall... their tallest starter is 6'9". They don't have any bigs that are bruisers on the team either unless they're hitting deep in the bench (like they had to yesterday). They are very long and quick. The Murray's are explosive and good shot blockers. Iowa also likes to push the pace... they'll get down the court in a hurry after a make by Richmond. One of the big changes this season was when Iowa moved Bohannon back to point, and brought Perkins in as a starter. Perkins is a physical guard who plays great defense and can slash in the lane.

Iowa is also fairly deep... They bring Kris Murray off the bench who is very talented (just not to his twin brother's level yet) and guys like Joe Toussaint and Connor McCaffery who have been playing starter minutes for a few years now. Depending on the matchup, this is sometimes where you see Iowa create some separation / extend a lead (when the 2nd team players for both teams begin to rotate in).

Iowa's deficiencies are on defense and sometimes rebounding. They are something like 18-0 when they win the boards. Part of the reason they've been playing so well is the improvement in both areas... but they're still susceptible to getting beat off the dribble, over-helping and then giving up wide open looks from 3. If Richmond can knock down those shots it'll be a close game.. if they're off then Iowa could extend a lead in a hurry. Missed 3's lead to fast offense for Iowa which is where they excel.

Reactions: Hawkfan7
This will surely piss off some iowa fans but the big ten is massively overrated. I’m sorry but they didn’t deserve to get 9 teams in the tournament. Big ten every year gets an absurd amount of teams in the NCAA’s but most fold up early and are out before the sweet 16. That will play out again this year. I bet there will at best be 3 big ten teams left by the sweet 16 and that there will also be an ACC team not named Duke that will go further in the tournament than the farthest big ten team.
Also to iowa fans; not saying this so much about you guys but more so about the rest of the big ten; the style of play in that league is brutal to watch. All it is is throw the ball to the big man inside and hack each other for 40 minutes. It also seems to me that it’s a league rule in the big ten to have as many reviews and timeouts in the final minute of the game as possible, even when one team is up by like 8 or so. Big ten is an absolute joke and gets all the attention it gets because they got a good tv deal. You can’t deny the facts.
No not really. If the only standard you have is national championships then all you are really saying is the conference with the most dominant team is the best. The Big Ten is at the top every year because more often than not it beats most competition outside it's conference. It has the biggest tv footprint as well which means it brings the most revenue to the table. Many of the teams that get beat from the Big Ten every year are the lower seed. They are supposed to lose if seeding is to be believed. The Big Ten by the way has won the Big Ten Acc challenge the last three years and is 6-2-3 over the last ten years. We have had multiple teams in the final four not just Michigan State. I don't think we ever have someone outside of Michigan State or Michigan that people think could make a serious run at a national championship but then again no one would be surprised if it happened from someone else like the team everyone hates Wisconsin.

Curious what type of school you all are? Is it mostly local kids going to a solid regional school or are you more of a private that pulls kids from all over? Where do kids land after they graduate? Assume most of your fanbase went to college there? How old is the school? Pretty part of the country but personally haven't spent any time in Richmond

Reactions: ThriceHawk
I am not a huge fan of taking the air out of the ball, but Iowa likes to play in the 80's from their scores. Hopefully the sight lines at the Buffalo arena more resemble the RC than Iowa's arena. If we can continue to play D like we have and keep the pace under control you never know. Need Burton to move his feet and stay out of foul trouble on Keegan. That guy is a bucket.
Richmond’s offense can arch
Great point, VT. These teams just all play each other and keep their rankings high. Like most things, just follow the money and you’ll get a better understanding of why something is happening.

Remember when this team beat Wisconsin a couple years ago?

Reactions: Tfxchawk
I know it’s only been a day, but really enjoying the Iowa posters. Hell of a lot more classy than our UNI visitors back in 2008. And now I feel old for remembering that. Enjoyed posting on their board as well.
I don’t like it. Just because there’s nothing to do in Iowa doesn’t mean we need to read their weird post about their team. I want to focus on Richmond, including the perspective of a few knowledgeable posters on our board that usually break down the matchups.

• Haha
Reactions: millerhawk
Rutgers and Penn State are both really difficult places to play. Rutgers has a great home court advantage, Penn State doesn't but that team always shows out well at home for some reason and plays above themselves.

If you guys have a really good D and a decent O you can be competitive in this game. Win? I mean, I'm a Hawk fan so NO! ;-)

Listen dingus. Richmond hasn’t won shit since blackberrys were in style. Check yourself Spider-Man. Go beat off to comics
Well, at least the Iowa fans are classy. You are an embarrassment to your school...but is it Virginia Tech so no one is surprised,

Quick scouting report for you guys. We had ten guys play 10 minutes or more vs. Purdue...

1. Keegan Murray- The straw that stirs the drink. Does everything well and will be close to an NBA lottery pick. Can hit the three, has a variety of post moves and can drive the length of the floor. I would try to draw fouls on him to get him off the floor. Probably the only way to slow him down, unless you have one of the best defenders in the nation. He's that good...and he's humble.

2. Kris Murray- His twin brother. A bit behind in development, but did put up 29 vs Indiana earlier in the season. Left handed and not quite as aggressive, but has improved as the season has gone on. Good three point shooter and essentially what his brother was last year. We can only hope he becomes what is brother is now this next year.

3. Jordan Bohannon- An enigma for me. I like defense and rebounding, but really appreciate good shooters. When he's on, there's nobody better. When he's not, he doesn't contribute much otherwise. One of the best clutch shooters I've ever seen and has hit maybe 5-10 game winners for the Hawks. A sixth year senior due to hip surgeries and covid. Can not help off of him at all, as he will not usually miss an open shot (when rolling). Comfortable range to near 30 feet.

4. Tony Perkins- Probably this year's most improved player. A strong/stocky 6'3" combo guard who doesn't mind going into the lane. Has been hitting threes well in the past 10 games. Can score 20 if needed. Good rebounder for a guard who also did a nice job against Jaden Ivey from Purdue who is a Ja Morant starter kit.

5. Patrick McCaffery- 6'9" swing player who is a decent offensive player. Dribbles too much for my tastes, but can get into the lane off bigger defenders and also doesn't mind posting up the smaller ones. Defense and rebounding efforts have improved dramatically this year, but still mediocre at both. Hits open threes well.

6. Connor McCaffery- The toughness of our team. Doesn't back down from anyone, which has been critical in the Big Ten with the physical play the league allows. Was shooting so poorly, the opponents would put their 5 on him and sink into the lane. Then he started hitting threes at an alarming clip which opened up the offense in general. Not overly athletic, but very heady, especially on defense. Very good passer.

7. Joe Toussaint- Was the starting PG, but was benched in favor of getting the ball in Bohannon's hands more. This seemed to energize the offense. Joe took it well and comes in mid-first half to provide really solid defense and driving ability on offense. Love the kid's attitude and he plays his butt off. Better distributor than shooter, but will take an occasional open three and is a decent shooter. Will try to do too much/play too fast and that gets him in trouble at times.

8. Filip Rebraca- Has found his role and played it well. An undersized five, but strong defender and good rebounder. Decent footwork on the post on offense. Does a lot of the "dirty work" and does it well.

9. Payton Sandfort- Freshman swing who is a knock down shooter. Think Kyle Korverish on the release. Also plays decent defense and rebounds pretty well. Not overly athletic, but moves well for a 6'7" kid from Iowa. Just a solid all-around player who has had the game slow down for him as the season has gone on.

10. Ahron Ulis- Now a 3rd string point guard. Good defender and ball handler. Not typically much of an offensive threat, but takes care of the ball and will penetrate and kick. Has had minutes decrease when Bohannon switched to PG and Tony Perkins came into his own at SG.

If you want to beat Iowa, you have to defend your ass off and hope we have a bad shooting day. Just so much depth and very unselfish. Since the team has committed more to defense and rebounding, we have been on a tear. Really only struggle against teams with a dominant big guy (Cockburn from Illinois, Dickinson from Michigan, Edey/Williams from Purdue). Wisconsin and Rutgers are just a pain in the butt as they are very well coached, know their systems well and bump/clutch/grab all game long. Iowa plays much better in a freedom-of-movement type game. Teams who historically play like West Virginia, Cincinnati (insert gorilla ball defense here) have been an issue. Otherwise, I like our chances against anyone right now.

Congrats on getting in the tourney! Hope we see the best efforts from both teams.

Last edited:
Tell us about this 48-46 game with Rutgers. What the hell happened there?
That was one of those games that Iowa did not shoot well and Rutgers was very physical. Basically, it seemed like a games where the refs kept their whistles in their pockets, and only pulled it out for a touch foul as the buzzer was sounding, giving Rutgers two free throws to win the game. The teams that give Iowa the most trouble are physical teams with a dominant big man as Iowa does not have a true center.

Quick scouting report for you guys. We had ten guys play 10 minutes or more vs. Purdue...

1. Keegan Murray- The straw that stirs the drink. Does everything well and will be close to an NBA lottery pick. Can hit the three, has a variety of post moves and can drive the length of the floor. I would try to draw fouls on him to get him off the floor. Probably the only way to slow him down, unless you have one of the best defenders in the nation. He's that good...and he's humble.

2. Kris Murray- His twin brother. A bit behind in development, but did put up 29 vs Indiana earlier in the season. Left handed and not quite as aggressive, but has improved as the season has gone on. Good three point shooter and essentially what his brother was last year. We can only hope he becomes what is brother is now this next year.

3. Jordan Bohannon- An enigma for me. I like defense and rebounding, but really appreciate good shooters. When he's on, there's nobody better. When he's not, he doesn't contribute much otherwise. One of the best clutch shooters I've ever seen and has hit maybe 5-10 game winners for the Hawks. A sixth year senior due to hip surgeries and covid. Can not help off of him at all, as he will not usually miss an open shot (when rolling). Comfortable range to near 30 feet.

4. Tony Perkins- Probably this year's most improved player. A strong/stocky 6'3" combo guard who doesn't mind going into the lane. Has been hitting threes well in the past 10 games. Can score 20 if needed. Good rebounder for a guard who also did a nice job against Jaden Ivey from Purdue who is a Ja Morant starter kit.

5. Patrick McCaffery- 6'9" swing player who is a decent offensive player. Dribbles too much for my tastes, but can get into the lane off bigger defenders and also doesn't mind posting up the smaller ones. Defense and rebounding efforts have improved dramatically this year, but still mediocre at both. Hits open threes well.

6. Connor McCaffery- The toughness of our team. Doesn't back down from anyone, which has been critical in the Big Ten with the physical play the league allows. Was shooting so poorly, the opponents would put their 5 on him and sink into the lane. Then he started hitting threes at an alarming clip which opened up the offense in general. Not overly athletic, but very heady, especially on defense. Very good passer.

7. Joe Toussaint- Was the starting PG, but was benched in favor of getting the ball in Bohannon's hands more. This seemed to energize the offense. Joe took it well and comes in mid-first half to provide really solid defense and driving ability on offense. Love the kid's attitude and he plays his butt off. Better distributor than shooter, but will take an occasional open three and is a decent shooter. Will try to do too much/play too fast and that gets him in trouble at times.

8. Phillip Rebraca- Has found his role and played it well. An undersized five, but strong defender and good rebounder. Decent footwork on the post on offense. Does a lot of the "dirty work" and does it well.

9. Payton Sandfort- Freshman swing who is a knock down shooter. Think Kyle Korverish on the release. Also plays decent defense and rebounds pretty well. Not overly athletic, but moves well for a 6'7" kid from Iowa. Just a solid all-around player who has had the game slow down for him as the season has gone on.

10. Ahron Ulis- Now a 3rd string point guard. Good defender and ball handler. Not typically much of an offensive threat, but takes care of the ball and will penetrate and kick. Has had minutes decrease when Bohannon switched to PG and Tony Perkins came into his own at SG.

If you want to beat Iowa, you have to defend your ass off and hope we have a bad shooting day. Just so much depth and very unselfish. Since the team has committed more to defense and rebounding, we have been on a tear. Really only struggle against teams with a dominant big guy (Cockburn from Illinois, Dickinson from Michigan, Edey/Williams from Purdue). Wisconsin and Rutgers are just a pain in the butt as they are very well coached, know their systems well and bump/clutch/grab all game long. Iowa plays much better in a freedom-of-movement type game. Teams who historically play like West Virginia, Cincinnati (insert gorilla ball defense here) have been an issue. Otherwise, I like our chances against anyone right now.

Congrats on getting in the tourney! Hope we see the best efforts from both teams.
Kk this post was helpful. Maybe I was a little harsh in my last post about “weird” Iowa. Thanks for sharing.

Our scouting report is much easier. If we shoot >40% from three we can best anybody. If not, it might be a long day for us.

Reactions: kwik44
Kk this post was helpful. Maybe I was a little harsh in my last post about “weird” Iowa. Thanks for sharing.

Our scouting report is much easier. If we shoot >40% from three we can best anybody. If not, it might be a long day for us.
While everything works against us, we will fight like the Spartans (300) or to bring home, the Ukrainians.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
“…Keegan Murray could take over the NCAA Tournament
I’m not saying this guy is going to do what Danny Manning did for Kansas in 1988, but what else does he have to do to be universally labeled as arguably the best player in college basketball? The 6-8 Murray averaged 28 points and 8.3 rebounds during the Big Ten Tournament while shooting an astronomical 61.1 percent from three-point range. Murray — not anyone else — is currently playing like the best player in college basketball. The Hawkeyes will open the 2022 NCAA Tournament in the Round of 64 against Richmond…”

Curious what type of school you all are? Is it mostly local kids going to a solid regional school or are you more of a private that pulls kids from all over? Where do kids land after they graduate? Assume most of your fanbase went to college there? How old is the school? Pretty part of the country but personally haven't spent any time in Richmond
Okay fellas, which one of us needs to answer his questions about who we are? Apparently he's not curious enough to do the research himself. Iowa, by the way, is one of my favorite flyover states. The time that I spent on the Iowa campus was in the winter so I didn't see her with her best dress on but what I remember was very institutional. And "is this Heaven " not even close. You going down Big Bird.

Looking at his steal numbers, is Jacob Gilyard a defensive menace? If there's a weakness that I think Iowa generally gets away with is Iowa doesn't have guards with great ball handling skills. They're typically not a turnover-prone team, but they've struggled when pressure has been applied late in games (when Iowa has been ahead). Joe Toussaint is the exception, he's terrific but plays at 100mph which sometimes leads to highlight reel assists, but also frustrating turnovers at times.

Personal irrelevant story though, I was first exposed to Richmond basketball at a random noncon invitational in suburban Chicago in 2010. My main memory is 'playfully' yelling at Robbie Hummel on the bench as Richmond smacked around a surprised Purdue squad. Good basketball in the A10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT