ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Weir

Excellent news if true and thought after next season with no BIG man signed the future wasn't bright. Issue is if not ready to give immediate minutes, team will be lacking size. Of course if Mooney's team gets bid this season and/or next year, he'll have forever to get another bid no matter what. That said kudos to Mooney and staff.

Reactions: UR80sfan
This is very good news. The guy is built like a Mack Truck. He was on my flight coming back from FL before the GW game and looks like he is a senior in college. He is 6-9 265. I think he has toned up relative to some of his pictures on line. This has been a great week for the Spiders!

Last edited:
Turn some of that baby fat into muscle and this kid could be a huge get. Reminds me a little of Santos-Silva, who looked like a freak show in high school but got into better shape in college. Though hopefully Weir has a higher ceiling than that.

Yes, watched a few of his highlights, and if he has a drive to be in tip top shape and work on his game, this kid could be an absolute monster for us. Good feet, good hands, good bball IQ. Sky is the limit if he is motivated. Not saying he is not, just saying that if he is he has a very high ceiling.

Reactions: plydogg
Weir had a ton of mid-major offers, the best besides us being St. Bonaventure. Definitely a good sign. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets next year. He will be battling with Grace and Sal to backup Grant, could be getting time from day 1.

With the additions of Weir, Crabtree and Wilson, assuming that all 3 additions are ready to contribute, we could be very deep across the board next year.

Reactions: plydogg
2/16/20, Welcome to the family Andre!
EQ7h0teWoAAAgJ_

Weir had a ton of mid-major offers, the best besides us being St. Bonaventure. Definitely a good sign. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets next year. He will be battling with Grace and Sal to backup Grant, could be getting time from day 1.

With the additions of Weir, Crabtree and Wilson, assuming that all 3 additions are ready to contribute, we could be very deep across the board next year.
Crabtree is proven college ready. He will get minutes. Unless we get grad transfers, I don't see minutes for Wilson or Weir next year. BUT if they do, that means they are good and I think is a good thing.

His recruiting profile looks a lot like Paul Friendshuh (I'm not comparing his game to Friendshuh though) Lots of lower mid major offers. Only 1 comparable offer to ours, a St. Bonnie offers.

Mooney needed to add a big with this remaining ship and he got one. Hopefully, he is a good one for us.

Always hard to tell how a recruit will do, but Weir does look like he has the right body type for some tough inside play. Definitely different than Sal and Matt.

Welcome to Richmond!

Reactions: gcarter52
His recruiting profile looks a lot like Paul Friendshuh (I'm not comparing his game to Friendshuh though) Lots of lower mid major offers. Only 1 comparable offer to ours, a St. Bonnie offers.

Mooney needed to add a big with this remaining ship and he got one. Hopefully, he is a good one for us.

two things:

1. Friendshuh was never this physically strong.

2, He never had this actual list (source his mother):

Weir, who formerly was committed to Northeastern University, had also been heavily involved of late with Georgia, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure and St. John’s.

I think Grant's success, and maybe TJ's before that, is a huge reason why we landed a guy like Weir. Similar to landing Jacob a few years ago and Wilson now because of our PG history. That is what you sell as a coach. "Look at how we use this guy, and look what he has done for us". What a great get for us.

I found some stories from first hand reporters discussing IU, St. John's and UGA being at his games lately. Being a verbal, other schools backed off. He is also playing at a new level, as he's continued to change his body.

Really like this pickup and will say the staff is EXTREMELY excited.
I like that the big boys were looking at him. A kid who is 6'9 265 should be getting looks from BCS level programs. Glad to hear that he was. Possibly, a late bloomer with this interest??

Only have seen a few clips out on the interwebs, and most of the competition looks half his size, but did see some WOW plays, very good hands/skillset to begin with for his size. Yes, it probably hard to find guys his size at the hs level :)

Andre’s Mom,Becky Weir,was sold on UR.She was clearly “helping” Andre make his decision and made the recent visit with Andre.She’s all over the piece being quoted.JB still flies directly Ft Lauderdale to RIC as well.That helps too.

“He took a visit to Richmond the first weekend of February and walked away feeling like a new bar was set,” Becky Weir said. “The people, program and platform just felt like the perfect fit for Andre.”

“His journey has been unique to say the least and his path to the next level is no different,” Becky Weir said. “At the end of the day, he felt like a priority for [Richmond] coach [Chris] Mooney. There’s a plan for him. He had a great connection with his future teammates and the facilities and support staff are intertwined and top notch — illustrating an environment where he can see himself developing and being successful.”

The old school adage “Mom’s know best” still holds.

It's clear to Andre, his mom and anyone who pays attention that a talented big has a huge opportunity to be featured here with Grant having only one more season. I love our bench, but we don't have the next Golden, Geriot, or Cline on our current roster. Now hopefully we will.

Andre’s Mom,Becky Weir,was sold on UR.She was clearly “helping” Andre make his decision and made the recent visit with Andre.She’s all over the piece being quoted.JB still flies directly Ft Lauderdale to RIC as well.That helps too.

“He took a visit to Richmond the first weekend of February and walked away feeling like a new bar was set,” Becky Weir said. “The people, program and platform just felt like the perfect fit for Andre.”

“His journey has been unique to say the least and his path to the next level is no different,” Becky Weir said. “At the end of the day, he felt like a priority for [Richmond] coach [Chris] Mooney. There’s a plan for him. He had a great connection with his future teammates and the facilities and support staff are intertwined and top notch — illustrating an environment where he can see himself developing and being successful.”

The old school adage “Mom’s know best” still holds.

Same reason we got Johhny Newman - mother's influence!

He reminds me a little of a poor man's Bacot. That was another guy who developed from a bigger guy into a more chiseled bigger guy.

Maybe I've missed it....what are his high school stats (points, rebounds, etc)????

Interesting side note. Gary DeCesar is a coach at one of the schools in Andres conference. The played at the end of January. Andre won.

Small world.

So - not "tagging along" with Jerry Wainwright anymore? Times change! Wainwright - assistant at Tulsa.

It’s great timing. He gets a full year to learn under GG.

And, Grant, being all about the team, will likely work as hard as possible with Weir to help make him better and better. We get Wilson to learn under Jacob, and now Weir? Just awesome. I could not think of 2 better suited guys to go with the non juniors we have returning in a couple of years.

It’s been over 30 years now, but Weir looks like a larger version of legendary UR “big man” at 6’5” Peter Woolfolk

If André turns out to be the player Pete was we’ll really have something

Woolfolk’s battles against David Robinson were impressive

good luck André’

Go Spiders!

Reactions: GKiller
I thought this interview was pretty good:

https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201907/video-andre-weir-priority-big-man-mid-majors

My takeaways:

- Thought it was interesting point about recruiting timing. Sounds like based on grassroot schedules, his team was at a disadvantage (which is especially tough for a late bloomer).

- His comment on what is most important to him being Academics and fit.

- Sounded like a team first guy and hard worker.

- Likes getting offensive rebounds!!

Overall, I’m excited he’s on board!

I thought this interview was pretty good:

https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201907/video-andre-weir-priority-big-man-mid-majors

My takeaways:

- Thought it was interesting point about recruiting timing. Sounds like based on grassroot schedules, his team was at a disadvantage (which is especially tough for a late bloomer).

- His comment on what is most important to him being Academics and fit.

- Sounded like a team first guy and hard worker.

- Likes getting offensive rebounds!!

Overall, I’m excited he’s on board!
Yes, I viewed his interview and was impressed with him also....As I said earlier, glad to have him on board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT