ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Weir

The hypocrisy on this site is incredible at times,

annap he may not have been a good fit here I have no idea but r u equating a 18–19 year old kid with a 16 year vet coach who makes 1.3 mil & has been given every chance to succeed? Mooney in a position to be critiqued not dumping on the low guy on the totem pole. Bc I would find that pretty incredible. Btw I think even the fans who r not happy w Mooney - at least a very high % - r still rooting for him.

annap he may not have been a good fit here I have no idea but r u equating a 18–19 year old kid with a 16 year vet coach who makes 1.3 mil & has been given every chance to succeed? Mooney in a position to be critiqued not dumping on the low guy on the totem pole. Bc I would find that pretty incredible. Btw I think even the fans who r not happy w Mooney - at least a very high % - r still rooting for him.
No one wants to see a young person fail. But to wish him Good Luck after he had several opportunity to
rejoin the team (Mooney said so). Tough love is hard for some people to understand.

Reactions: Gallipoli
No one wants to see a young person fail. But to wish him Good Luck after he had several opportunity to
rejoin the team (Mooney said so). Tough love is hard for some people to understand.

I guess I didn’t get your hypocrisy comment. maybe it was a recruiting mistake. Mooney talks a lot about culture & fit here. could be tough love. Yes coaches gotta bring the tough love sometimes. Granted Mooney has had none of it himself here so maybe he’s not as good at that. Idk.

Reactions: Ranger1tex
To circle back to one of the earlier tangents from this thread...Atkinson is headed to Notre Dame.

I support Mooney and certainly don't fault him for Weir leaving, but I'll still wish Weir well. no idea what went wrong here. hope he finds what he's looking for.
seems being closer to home was a big consideration. hopes were very high on him here primarily due to his size. I would have thought if he waited for the offseason, higher level programs than FGCU would show interest. but maybe he's not looking for that.

Reactions: ur2K and VT4700
I wish him good luck. Especially this year with covid. I'm sure he's not the only freshman to have a really hard time adjusting this year. To me, this is a lot different than Buck's situation, where Buck was a starter and messed up right in the middle of the season. That is letting your teammates down.

Weir will be very close to his hometurf.A 2 hour ride across alligator alley on I-75.FGCU is a very different school,in many ways,than UR.

He could have been homesick and just not mature enough at this stage to accept a higher level of
responsibility. Being closer to home may be a comfort level he needs. I remember Gonzo leaving and Tim Hightower
helping to mentor him back and get him on right track with the coaching staff. Gonzo brought this up at a FCA meeting in
Varina one time.

I know my first year at UR, I was very homesick. It is a really tough transition for many and then you throw COVID and being a D-1 college basketball player on top.

I wish it would have worked out for him and assuredly this has been a tough few months for Andre, whatever went down. So, I hope he finds himself in a better place at Florida Gulf Coast.

Missed this, but Weir was approved to be eligible for FGCU in time for the ASUN tournament, but he didn't see the floor in either of their two games before bowing out.

Reactions: plydogg
SF - you got my hopes up thinking there was a possibility he was coming back! Have to curb my optimism........................

Maybe he just wanted to go to winning program with a chance at the NCAAs
I get your point, but FGCU is definitely not the model for mid major success. Seems like he just wanted to be closer to home. Only time will tell what we missed out on

I get your point, but FGCU is definitely not the model for mid major success. Seems like he just wanted to be closer to home. Only time will tell what we missed out on

I agree, but...When people think FGCU they think of that 15 seed dunk city team that knocked off georgetown! That was their first tournament appearance and they’ve been twice since. They’ve made it 3 times since 2013 and Mooney has made it zero :(

Could have really been COVID related too. Having to quarantine, not really be social with anyone as a freshman, away from home. Not the best circumstances to fit in and feel comfortable.

Could have really been COVID related too. Having to quarantine, not really be social with anyone as a freshman, away from home. Not the best circumstances to fit in and feel comfortable.

Agreed. I know some here have said some pretty nasty things about Andre, but it’s already tough for some kids their freshman year. Add in COVID and it’s not something any of us can relate to. I almost transferred after freshman year, I’m very glad I stayed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT