ADVERTISEMENT

Andre Weir

great interview. looking for strong academics and good people. and a B-school!

he found a great fit. I'm very excited about this late signing. exactly what a team looking late should be looking for. a guy with potential who had interest but really came on late. interest in him was increasing. not a guy who teams lost interest in. and a perfect roster fit for us.

perfect guy to target and land. very excited.

great interview. looking for strong academics and good people. and a B-school!

he found a great fit. I'm very excited about this late signing. exactly what a team looking late should be looking for. a guy with potential who had interest but really came on late. interest in him was increasing. not a guy who teams lost interest in. and a perfect roster fit for us.

perfect guy to target and land. very excited.
While a good fit, he has not signed yet (April is signing month).

true but that's not much of a worry. only been a problem once that I remember. he committed. that's good enough for me.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I thought this interview was pretty good:

https://hoopseen.com/news/player/201907/video-andre-weir-priority-big-man-mid-majors

My takeaways:

- Thought it was interesting point about recruiting timing. Sounds like based on grassroot schedules, his team was at a disadvantage (which is especially tough for a late bloomer).

- His comment on what is most important to him being Academics and fit.

- Sounded like a team first guy and hard worker.

- Likes getting offensive rebounds!!

Overall, I’m excited he’s on board!

Sounds like a great kid. I really look forward to seeing him have a great career with the Spiders.

Weir is the only kid with a chance to crack the lineup next season.

Everyone is mentioning Crabtree - but whose minutes is he taking? Certainly not Francis. And Sherod - when he plays like he did vs. VCU - is not going anywhere. Maybe Cayo - but then remember, we got Burton for that. Not to mention you have Wojcik and Goose there as well. If anyone loses out - its Wojcik. If Crabtree is as good as everyone thinks - I can see him taking Wojcik minutes, which are only about 10 a night when Francis is healthy (see VCU game and Fordham game when Francis was back - he played 7 and 9 minutes). If Crabtree is better - he takes Wojcik minutes and hate to say it - Wojcik might want to transfer if minutes are a priority for him. To go from starting frosh year, to bench 2nd year, to possibly not playing at all 3rd year - I would not blame him.
We also have a PG coming in - but right now we don't have a true PG to back up Gilyard and it works fine, and in big games - he plays 38+ minutes.
And don't forget the biggest hurdle of all - Mooney is loyal to upperclassmen - almost to a fault.

From 46 above

“Weir is the only kid with a chance to crack the lineup next season”

Disagree.The kid’s body and stamina need D1 work.It’s pretty evident he won’t be ready for the up and down and banging of 30 D1 level games and even UR practice sessions.

He’ll get there but I think he’s more a project than a D1 player right now.

From 46 above

Disagree.The kid’s body and stamina need D1 work.It’s pretty evident he won’t be ready for the up and down and banging of 30 D1 level games and even UR practice sessions.

Agree he needs the benefits of a D-1 weight room/conditioning program. But then again, so do most freshman (sans Burton).

I
From 46 above

I agree Weir needs a lot of work in terms of conditioning and getting used to D1 hoops. My reason for saying he has the best chance to crack the lineup is because he has the least resistance ahead of him. He only has to beat out Grace and Sal - who have done little to nothing this year to solidify their position in the rotation. I didn't expect much from Grace this season, but thought Sal would show us something and honestly has shown little to no improvement since last year. The only thing that is giving these two minutes right now is the load management program of Grant. So if Weir can come in on day 1 and show something - I think he can get 10 minutes a night helping "load manage" Grant.

I

I agree Weir needs a lot of work in terms of conditioning and getting used to D1 hoops. My reason for saying he has the best chance to crack the lineup is because he has the least resistance ahead of him. He only has to beat out Grace and Sal - who have done little to nothing this year to solidify their position in the rotation. I didn't expect much from Grace this season, but thought Sal would show us something and honestly has shown little to no improvement since last year. The only thing that is giving these two minutes right now is the load management program of Grant. So if Weir can come in on day 1 and show something - I think he can get 10 minutes a night helping "load manage" Grant.

Agreed and if he can't play 10 minutes per game next year because of conditioning issues than we probably have some bigger issues going on. Heard he has gotten himself in better shape this year than some of those pictures suggest.

I

I am not counting on him beating out Sal or Grace next year. Those guys will be juniors with a lot of experience backing up Grant, and learning from Grant. Maybe he could beat out one of them for the second half of the season, but I don't see him being the primary backup next year. I would be more than happy if he could just mostly learn next year and get ready to be the starter in 2 years. But, if he's a quick learner and is our best backup option, I'm sure he will play sooner rather than later.

I am not counting on him beating out Sal or Grace next year. Those guys will be juniors with a lot of experience backing up Grant, and learning from Grant. Maybe he could beat out one of them for the second half of the season, but I don't see him being the primary backup next year. I would be more than happy if he could just mostly learn next year and get ready to be the starter in 2 years. But, if he's a quick learner and is our best backup option, I'm sure he will play sooner rather than later.

I am like you 4700, let him learn from GG, MG and SK next year so that he can get his feet wet....There is plenty of time for him to have greater impact on the team.

Reactions: VT4700
Beating out Sal and Grace is not a high bar. If we want him to take over our starting center in 2022 when Grant leaves, certainly he should be getting the primary back-up minutes next year if he were to do so.

Sal is not even a center and think it is pretty clear that Grace is not starter level material for a contending A-10 team. So, to me, Andre has both a path and a lot of expectations to be that person for us in two years.

he comes into a good situation. he should look at it as an opportunity for 10 mpg at the 5 next year. best of the 3 gets that. best guy plays. the other 2 are reserves who need to get better in practice. if Matt or Sal are better, then so be it.

Sal can fight for time at the 4 as well but that's crowded too. good problem for Mooney to have.

I

I think Sal is basically coming in at the wrong “position”. And yes, I know we don’t have positions, or at least so I’m told. But I expect that’s part of the problem why he hasn’t developed much.

I think Sal is basically coming in at the wrong “position”. And yes, I know we don’t have positions, or at least so I’m told. But I expect that’s part of the problem why he hasn’t developed much.
Burton's ahead of him at forward and that's not likely going to change.

Burton's ahead of him at forward and that's not likely going to change.
Totally agree. I suspect someone said he’d get more time at 5 than 4 but he’s not a 5. Maybe they thought he’d overtake Grace faster, he’s more athletic and fluid with the ball. He hasn’t separated.

Our centers are asked to do a lot in our offense. I expect the learning curve is tougher for our incoming centers, as opposed to say someone who plays on the wing. Due to this I’d expect Sal and Matt to still have an edge next year, which is not a knock against Weir, but rather a comment on how different it is to play center here than in most other offenses.

I could see the addition of Weir causing Grace or Sal to transfer. As already stated, Burton is (and next year most likely more solidly) the timeshare at the 4. That leaves 4 guys in rotation at the 5, with maybe a couple 4 minutes for Sal. That’s the sort of minutes crunch that I think leads kids to transfer.

Also, I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. If a young kid is good enough to make a Jr. want to transfer because they aren’t going to get minutes, that speaks to the freshman’s skills.

I could see the addition of Weir causing Grace or Sal to transfer.
Weir coming may be a factor, but just based on play this year alone it seems that a transfer by Sal would be a good possibility. I don’t think Grace will go anywhere. I also think Woj transferring is another decent possibility as mentioned by others on a different thread. Of course, you hope everyone stays and there is actually a full roster.

Reactions: nathanw19
Weir coming may be a factor, but just based on play this year alone it seems that a transfer by Sal would be a good possibility. I don’t think Grace will go anywhere. I also think Woj transferring is another decent possibility as mentioned by others on a different thread. Of course, you hope everyone stays and there is actually a full roster.
I agree on Sal. Personally, I’d play him more than Grace. But Sal is definitely in Mooney’s dog house, and has the quickest hook on the team.

Seems that Mooney has a quick hook on at least 1 player every year, and this year it is Sal. That can get real tired as the player.

If this thread is still going in three days he will be the next Zion Williamson!
Sorry but I still haven't seen his high school averages (points and rebounds), only that he had 25/12 in one game. Anybody know what these are?

haven't found averages, but I'll post a few details:

EPt9mRRX4AM0_Ox

Jan 31
EPnsACfWAAEmREA

January 12, 2020
Weir, 6-feet-9 in bare feet and 6-10 with shoes on, pulled down an impressive 25 rebounds and scored 17 points during a 52-49 loss to 11-3 Pine Crest. Weir had nine rebounds in the first quarter alone. He made 7 of 13 from the field and 3 of 3 from the free-throw line. The Chaminade big man was committed to Northeastern at one time but is now back on the open market looking for the right fit. Weir recently picked up scholarship offers from Richmond and St. Bonaventure and is receiving strong interest from Indiana and St. John’s.
https://www.sourcehoops.com/box-score-report-shootout-top-performances/
Dec 21, 2019 TCB Invitational
Our eighth selection for the All-Tournament Team is Andre Weir from
@CMLions_Sports
Andre averaged - 23.3 PPG - 9.5 RPG - 0.3 APG

If Weir can't get 10 minutes or more next year or can't beat out Grace or Sal - then I think a redshirt is in order. Why waste a year of eligibility for him to only play in blow out games?

I agree on Sal. Personally, I’d play him more than Grace. But Sal is definitely in Mooney’s dog house, and has the quickest hook on the team.

Seems that Mooney has a quick hook on at least 1 player every year, and this year it is Sal. That can get real tired as the player.
Sal is getting the classic Mooney I want you to transfer treatment at present. Grace isn't going anywhere, doubtful he would be that sought after (D-1 at least).

he's not getting bad treatment. his minutes are very consistent, other than this last VCU game.

he's just not a better backup 5 than Grace right now. and he's not a better backup 4 than Burton. he's nice depth at both spots in case something happens but I don't see him getting more than 8 mpg going forward this year.

he'll have a chance for a bigger role next year if his development passes someone, but that's not going to be easy. nobody graduates and we add Weir and Crabtree.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
he's not getting bad treatment. his minutes are very consistent, other than this last VCU game.

he's just not a better backup 5 than Grace right now. and he's not a better backup 4 than Burton. he's nice depth at both spots in case something happens but I don't see him getting more than 8 mpg going forward this year.

he'll have a chance for a bigger role next year if his development passes someone, but that's not going to be easy. nobody graduates and we add Weir and Crabtree.

I know he is not at the same position but we add Wilson as well.

I really hope 247 is right about Wilson...
Their grades as recruits were -

Anthony .8069
Anderson .8434
Gilyard .8528
Gonzo .8556
Sherod .8575
Ced .8713

And

Wilson as a .8916

Sal is getting the classic Mooney I want you to transfer treatment at present. Grace isn't going anywhere, doubtful he would be that sought after (D-1 at least).
You may be right about Sal's treatment, but against VCU he came into a very tight and critical game, had two immediate turnovers, was pulled after one minute and did not play again. It's a shame for IMHO he is much more talented than Grace but a guy in his position has pressure to perform well in limited opportunity. There was time in the out of conference games to give him time to get acclimated, which I thought he did, but he has to contribute from the get-go at this stage.

Sal is getting the classic Mooney I want you to transfer treatment at present.

It feels a little like that but I still think Mooney believes Sal belongs. Sal is still getting time every game and is often one of the first off the bench. In the past several years the guys that have been nudged out really weren't seeing the floor much, if at all.

But it should be clear to Sal that if he wants to play a big role the rest of his time here he needs to make the most of his handful of minutes each game.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
When I coached high school basketball, if a player wasn't in my plans for the future (near or far), they would not see any time. If they had potential but just wasn't producing when inserting in games....they knew it was them and not the coaches limiting their time. Ownership was up to them to take.

You may be right about Sal's treatment, but against VCU he came into a very tight and critical game, had two immediate turnovers, was pulled after one minute and did not play again. It's a shame for IMHO he is much more talented than Grace but a guy in his position has pressure to perform well in limited opportunity. There was time in the out of conference games to give him time to get acclimated, which I thought he did, but he has to contribute from the get-go at this stage.
Oh, I completely agree. He came in to the VCU game early and made a couple pretty bad mistakes back to back and Mooney rightly pulled him.

I'm not blaming Mooney for not playing him. It is up to Sal to seize the opportunity and he hasn't much this year.

I think guys like Sal and Woj who are getting limited time this year and than have to look at a roster that will have no turnover next year and bring in 2 freshman and a transfer and they have to be thinking about how much time will be available for them next year.

Andre's session came to a close with a good run in the state tournament. Looks like his team came up against one with tell very talented bugs and was just too much.

Really looking forward to getting him in the program. This is a kids that has worked very hard on his body and his best basketball is yet to come.

Derrick Williams played just 5 minutes a game his freshman year. He was a crowd favorite for his grit and determination. He started every game thereafter. I think we'll see a similar career path.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT