ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

And this is how scheduling is done. VCU gets into these tournaments because their entire program from the A.D. down to the coaches, down to the fan base demand that they be in these type of events. So, it gets done.

Willing to put a healthy wager down that we won't know our MTE until after the upcoming season. No urgency on our end.

Maybe our big spending NIL guys would love to go see a really high caliber MTE next year and could put some pressure on the powers that be to make that happen.

The VCU fan base can already start to make travel plans for Fall 2026 meanwhile Spider fans sit here and can't even make travel plans for our MTE, less than 2 months away because our shit can tournament can't get its act together. And really who is amped up to see us play Ball State and Louisiana Tech in an empty arena.

and we're currently running 0-20 under Mooney to get into 1 of the better 8 team single site MTEs.

Plus think VCU will be in the Maui Invitational eventually. Maybe 2026. With Dave Odom, Ryan's dad, being the Maui chairman. Could be their fallback option. Our fallback options have only 5 of 8 planned teams committed a month b4 season.

Our 2024 MTE has 5 teams of 8 announced (countdown clock ticking.)

Their 2025 MTE has 5 of 8 teams announced, including teams we'd kill to play.

Something has to be addressed here. MTE has always been one of the foundational parts of UR's schedule. If they can't get the team into anything good because scheduling philosophies have changed (and we are behind the curve), then there has to be a major philosophy shift to get those missing 2 (minimum) big games.

Don't get me started on a non-D1 team as the home opener (who has to classify the game as an exhibition on their own schedule.)

I remember when we saw SLU's OOC schedule and we were like, well that is a pathetic schedule. And here they are ranked 3rd best OOC schedule in the league. SLU has ZERO P5 programs on their OOC schedules. They do have some decent mid-major games (Santa Clara, San Francisco, Grand Canyon. Those are their "big games".

That graph just really shows you how much the P5 has shut down playing non p5 programs and how systemic it is. In my opinion, this is a concerted effort to monopolize the few at large bids that went to non P5 programs. It is just a shame. Leagues like the A-10 need to be much more proactive with raising this as a huge issue.

And I will add, that we are to blame as well. Even among this array of awful OOC schedules, the fact that moribund programs like UMass, Fordham, LaSalle and Mason that haven't sniffed relevance in a decade plus were able to put together better OOC schedules than the defending A-10 champs is pathetic. We should be ashamed of our effort, we aren't but we should be.

Well done Bernadette, you keep on "talking" while the power conferences run away from mids and shut us out.
Right. Straight out of Hardt's playbook. Excuse making 101. What about the MWC deal they had going a few years back that I think Covid killed. Why are we still in the "talking" page? Have you seen our conference OOC schedules, Bernadette? Cause if you had, you'd realize how way too little and way too late it is to "still being open to having conversations" really is. Leaders get stuff done, they don't talk about getting stuff done or why stuff didn't get done.

Even more alarming (for the conference outlook in general) that there are two teams even worse than our schedule!

idk but I doubt they are factoring in our fabulous Gulf Coast MTE, because our 1st opponent isn't even known, or factoring in possible 2nd or 3rd games of A10 teams in ther MTEs. So we could actually look worse. A couple teams like Ball State or EKY would lower our average Torvik rank. Tho LA Tech or So. Illinois would raise it slightly. I don't know what Florida Southwestern State College would do.

But a number of other teams have likelihood to improve based on other MTE possible opponents, while we largely do not at all. So the gap could only get worse for us.

Still waiting on our 2024 MTE details, and VCU has their 2026 one almost filled out.

48 DAYS
19 HOURS
32 MINUTES
55 SECONDS...54...53...52...51...

• Sad
Reactions: MDspider8
Still waiting on our 2024 MTE details, and VCU has their 2026 one almost filled out.

48 DAYS
19 HOURS
32 MINUTES
55 SECONDS...54...53...52...51...

unreal. Them already committing to another elite MTE for next season was bad enough but now they have the year after next locked down as well?? Just a bad joke at this point.

So...less than 7 weeks until the Gulf Coast event...I think they've exhausted all the options, we have certainly detailed the lack of them here. So what are they doing or waiting for? Trying not to get sued for breach of contract, I suppose.

Between us and Rhody's event, total MTE mess for some A10 teams here.

unreal. Them already committing to another elite MTE for next season was bad enough but now they have the year after next locked down as well?? Just a bad joke at this point.
We share the same city and conference but that's where it ends. They are light years ahead of us as a program and nothing pains me any more than admitting that.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think they knew Maui a year ago. Now field is filling out. Their MTE list seems to come out the same way our football FBS list does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT