ADVERTISEMENT

Spiders Collective-Season Preview-Oct 4

I just got back from the Collective Season Preview, and I'm really glad I went—it was definitely worth the price of a nice dinner. Writing this up quickly while it's still fresh in my mind.

The event had a great turnout, with at least 150-200 people in attendance. I arrived around 6:10 p.m. and immediately spotted Tyler Burton. Apparently, he's been in Richmond for the past six weeks, rehabbing from an injury he got during tryouts for the summer league. I didn’t catch the specifics of the injury, but it’s good to see he considers Richmond home.

Gregg Bond, one of the leaders of the Collective, kicked things off with a quick welcome. Then Coach took over to explain the plan for the night: 25 minutes of a typical practice followed by a scrimmage—Blue vs. White, two 12-minute halves. Coach introduced all the players, calling Delonnie the best captain Richmond has ever had. He also noted Mikkel’s significant playing time as a freshman and joked that he’s been recruiting Kirby since his baptism 18 years ago,

I’ve never been to a Spiders practice before, so I was really impressed by the intensity, speed, and constant movement. The noise and energy were on another level.

During both the practice and scrimmage, I took some notes to share. I’m going to keep my comments positive since it was just a single practice, but there were definitely some highlights.

Injuries:

• B. Artis was sporting a new brace and is currently rehabbing, according to Coach. He’s expected to resume practicing next week.
  • Jason Roche has recently returned to practice but isn’t quite game-ready yet.
  • Ryan Soulis participated in warmups but didn’t play in the scrimmage. No explanation was given, so I assume he’s still recovering from injury.
Player Observations

• Walz (Blue) had an outstanding night on both ends of the court. He looks as strong as ever and more confident as a junior.
  • Delonnie (White) played well, driving to the basket frequently and hitting a few threes. However, he fell hard at least three times while driving. I noticed Coach talking to him at halftime, and I wondered if he suggested taking it a bit easier.
  • Mikkel (Blue) was very physical as a freshman—now he looks like a tank. He may have been close to the leading scorer and was the primary ball handler for the Blue Team. Even if he doesn’t start, it’s clear he’ll play significant minutes.
  • Dusan (Blue) had a great game, hitting multiple threes and driving to the rim a few times. He seems to be in the running for a starting spot.
  • Jaylen (Blue) physically looks more like a junior than a freshman. He’ll be a strong rebounder and a force inside the paint, though his outside shot may still need some work.
  • Jonathan Beagle (White) was opposite Walz, and from tonight’s performance, I suspect Beagle likely will back Walz up.
  • GW III (White) missed a couple of early threes but then hit three in a row. Even if he doesn’t start, his shooting will likely earn him plenty of minutes.
  • Bryson (White) looks like a slightly smaller version of Jarin Stevenson. While he didn’t stand out much during the scrimmage, his athleticism is clear—he’s got serious ups.
  • Jack Graham (Blue) played guard, hitting two threes. He definitely looked more like a scholarship sophomore than a walk-on.
  • Apostolos (White) - not too much to report on other than he got fouled real hard in the 2nd half.
  • Collin Tanner (White) played actively and hit at least one three. He looks like he’ll contribute more than just mop-up minutes.
  • Kirby Mooney (Blue) made his first three-point attempt, and the crowd went wild.
  • Jack D'Entremont (Blue), a W&L grad transfer, had a solid night. It’ll be interesting to see how much playing time he gets.
(I might be off for a few folks in terms of Blue/White above)

The Blue team got off to a fast start and was up by 15 at halftime. The White team made a late comeback, but Blue held on to win by six.

After the scrimmage, there was a reception upstairs. Coach spoke again and thanked Paul Queally and his wife, who were present, for the top-notch facility. Delonnie then gave a pep talk, thanking everyone for their support. The players hung out and chatted with many of us.

Great night - Go Spiders.

Last edited:
I just got back from the Collective Season Preview, and I'm really glad I went—it was definitely worth the price of a nice dinner. Writing this up quickly while it's still fresh in my mind.

The event had a great turnout, with at least 150-200 people in attendance. I arrived around 6:10 p.m. and immediately spotted Tyler Burton. Apparently, he's been in Richmond for the past six weeks, rehabbing from an injury he got during tryouts for the summer league. I didn’t catch the specifics of the injury, but it’s good to see he considers Richmond home.

Gregg Bond, one of the leaders of the Collective, kicked things off with a quick welcome. Then Coach took over to explain the plan for the night: 25 minutes of a typical practice followed by a scrimmage—Blue vs. White, two 12-minute halves. Coach introduced all the players, calling Delonnie the best captain Richmond has ever had. He also noted Mikkel’s significant playing time as a freshman and joked that he’s been recruiting Kirby since his baptism 18 years ago,

I’ve never been to a Spiders practice before, so I was really impressed by the intensity, speed, and constant movement. The noise and energy were on another level.

During both the practice and scrimmage, I took some notes to share. I’m going to keep my comments positive since it was just a single practice, but there were definitely some highlights.

Injuries:

• B. Artis was sporting a new brace and is currently rehabbing, according to Coach. He’s expected to resume practicing next week. KNEE EXTENDED EXPECTED BACK IN 2 WEEKS.
  • Jason Roche has recently returned to practice but isn’t quite game-ready yet. TOLD WILL LIKELY BE READY.
  • Ryan Soulis participated in warmups but didn’t play in the scrimmage. No explanation was given, so I assume he’s still recovering from injury. HE TOLD ME 2 WEEKS.
Player Observations

• Walz (Blue) had an outstanding night on both ends of the court. He looks as strong as ever and more confident as a junior. PLAYED 18 MINS, 4/6- 3PT 0/2 FT 1/1 2 RBS 2 FOULS
  • Delonnie (White) played well, driving to the basket frequently and hitting a few threes. However, he fell hard at least three times while driving. I noticed Coach talking to him at halftime, and I wondered if he suggested taking it a bit easier. PLAYED 23 MINS, 5/8 3 PT 3/6 FT 5/8 2 R/ 4 F
  • Mikkel (Blue) was very physical as a freshman—now he looks like a tank. He may have been close to the leading scorer and was the primary ball handler for the Blue Team. Even if he doesn’t start, it’s clear he’ll play significant minutes. PLAYED 22 MINS 5/13, 1/5 3PT, 0/0 FT, 3R, 2 F.
  • Dusan (Blue) had a great game, hitting multiple threes and driving to the rim a few times. He seems to be in the running for a starting spot. PLAYED 18 MINS5/12, 3 PT 3.9, 0 FT, 5R, 3F.
  • Jaylen (Blue) physically looks more like a junior than a freshman. He’ll be a strong rebounder and a force inside the paint, though his outside shot may still need some work. PLAYED 13.5 MINS, 2/3, 0/1 3PT, 5R, 3 F,
  • Jonathan Beagle (White) was opposite Walz, and from tonight’s performance, I suspect Beagle likely will back Walz up. PLAYED 20,5 MINS, 3/9, 3PT 0/1, FT 0/2, 5R 1F.
  • GW III (White) missed a couple of early threes but then hit three in a row. Even if he doesn’t start, his shooting will likely earn him plenty of minutes. PLAYED 16.5 MINS, 3/5, 3 PI 3/50/0 FT, 1R, 4 F.
  • Bryson (White) looks like a slightly smaller version of Jarin Stevenson. While he didn’t stand out much during the scrimmage, his athleticism is clear—he’s got serious ups. PLYED 11 MINS, 0/2, 3PT 0/2, 2R, 2F
  • Jack Graham (Blue) played guard, hitting two threes. He definitely looked more like a scholarship sophomore than a walk-on. PLAYED 20 MINS, 2.3, 3PT 2/2, 3/4 FY, 4R, 0 F.
  • Apostolos (White) - not too much to report on other than he got fouled real hard in the 2nd half. PLAYED 19 MINS, 1/5, 0/3 3 PT, 0/ FT, 9R, 3F
  • Collin Tanner (White) played actively and hit at least one three. He looks like he’ll contribute more than just mop-up minutes. PLAYED 21 MINS, 2/8, 3PT 1/4, 0/0 FT, 5R, 4F.
  • Kirby Mooney (Blue) made his first three-point attempt, and the crowd went wild. PLAYED 11 MINS 1/2, 3PT1/2, 0/0 FT, 0R, 1F
  • Jack D'Entremont (Blue), a W&L grad transfer, had a solid night. It’ll be interesting to see how much playing time he gets. PLAYED 18 MINS, 0/4, 3PT 0/2, 0/0 FY, 5R, 2 F.
LIAM (WHITE) PLAYED 9 MINS 1/1, 3PT 1/1, 0/0FT, 1R, 2 F
(I might be off for a few folks in terms of Blue/White above)

The Blue team got off to a fast start and was up by 15 at halftime. The White team made a late comeback, but Blue held on to win by six.

After the scrimmage, there was a reception upstairs. Coach spoke again and thanked Paul Queally and his wife, who were present, for the top-notch facility. Delonnie then gave a pep talk, thanking everyone for their support. The players hung out and chatted with many of us.

Great night - Go Spiders.
Agree with much if above, SEE MY ADDITIONS IN CAPS ABOVE, ALL MINS ARE ROUNDED, I WOULD SAY RUST WAS OBVIOUS. THINK WE WILL BE GOOD. LOTS OF POSITIVES.

What do people get when they pay $1,000 or more to attend an affair with some narcissistic
politician? At least the money is going to young men trying to move on up in their world, and
not buy it (until NIL contracts come around- lol)
Think about how much money is spent on campaigns- a real waste. I’d prefer to help the
players and the school.

Reactions: urfan1
You are basically outlining the old Spider Club killed by the Athletic Dept/school.
The intergenerational excitement outside the Chattanooga stadium will never be replicated under the big hat no cattle athletic dept.
The ending of the Spider Club was a big “ get lost” to longtime supporters who enjoyed the camaraderie of fellow Spiders.

Yeah the thought crossed my mind too when I read it. The changes/elimination of the old Spider Club stunk imo. The tailgate in Nooga was the best UR one I ever attended. To be expected on some level given the stakes.

Also tremendous use of “big hat no cattle”

LIAM (WHITE) PLAYED 9 MINS 1/1, 3PT 1/1, 0/0FT, 1R, 2 F

Agree with much if above, SEE MY ADDITIONS IN CAPS ABOVE, ALL MINS ARE ROUNDED, I WOULD SAY RUST WAS OBVIOUS. THINK WE WILL BE GOOD. LOTS OF POSITIVES.

Thank you section9 for detailed report & urfan1 for additional context & stats. Was the scrimmage faster paced than normal for us? Without seeing it feels that way based on # of shots going up in two 12-min halves. But for this kind of fan event that’s probably normal.

Thank you section9 for detailed report & urfan1 for additional context & stats. Was the scrimmage faster paced than normal for us? Without seeing it feels that way based on # of shots going up in two 12-min halves. But for this kind of fan event that’s probably normal.
It appeared to me we wee pushing the ball on both teams.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Does not seem like any of our "wings" really separated themselves in this setting anyway. Unless Dusan is going to play more wing than big forward ( I know, no positions :)). My belief is that Dusan has the skill level, but not sure quickness to guard a "third guard" or quick wing? Anyway, good to hear he looked good. This also leads me to think about 4700`s lineup with GW3 being a third guard.
I do believe that Graham and D`Entremont are not your typical walk on level players. As we see from the team pictures D`Entremont has some good size, and a 5th year college player very accomplished at lower level. And Graham was a D1 commit, last season in limited time the game seemed a little fast for him, but a year later I bet he can contribute some if needed.

Seemed fast paced and more physical that I expected for a scrimmage … some relatively hard fouls in fact

Last edited:
Graham has been getting a lot of play in videos posted, I was wondering about that and now this report seems to back those up. If he's a shooter and has the quickness, can he force his way onto the court? Very crowded guard situation so maybe not as much this year, but after DLo and B. Artis graduate? Could be.

But didn't u define the casual fan - through Brooklyn post - as someone not donating? so why would that fan all of sudden get a $400 membership when they previously didn't donate & normally just attend a few or more games a year. I contend they won't. that's why this being for the casual fan is a little confusing. if we can get the casual fan to do it...awesome. we'll do much better. I'd say if the casual fan is willing to do this we would have been killing it more with Spider Club too in the past and we really weren't imo.

btw I'm not against what you're proposing w a collective membership. I just don't see casual fans doing it. I think it would be for UR supporters who are definitely more than casual but on more of a budget.

If we were more succssful as a program we could convert casual fans into more serious fans and that would help down the road theoretically.
Casual fans might not be donating because they see no return. Calling them on the phone and asking them to give $400 and get nothing back but maybe a sticker to put on their car, they won't do it. But maybe, just maybe - you sell a membership, and now the casual fan sees it as they are getting something back. They get the "opportunity" to attend events, meet players, coaches, etc. - all while paying for a membership, which is really a donation to the Collective.

On a side note - any chance these collectives get thrown out the window in a few years and the NCAA just says - no outside money allowed, but schools - go ahead and pay the athletes, and pay them as much or little as you want. Do you think that would make it better or worse than current state?

Casual fans might not be donating because they see no return. Calling them on the phone and asking them to give $400 and get nothing back but maybe a sticker to put on their car, they won't do it. But maybe, just maybe - you sell a membership, and now the casual fan sees it as they are getting something back. They get the "opportunity" to attend events, meet players, coaches, etc. - all while paying for a membership, which is really a donation to the Collective.

Idk the SC used to have events and biggest advantage to many, unlike collective, was tax deductible. Yes, this could be more access to players but they r paying even more for tix to those events. Membership plus paying more $ for tix. I just don’t see that as what a casual fan does. U say they don’t donate & attend a few games but then r going to pay much more $ to the athletes directly to see them at couple practices & the coach talk about the team they r casual about. Happy to be wrong but a reach imo.

Maybe u snag a few. There r some exceptions. Nothing wrong with big tent approach and see who comes in. But I just think your target market is the more serious fan who can only afford so much. They want to support NIL & team but financially r not currently the bigger donors. If u can sell memberships to casual fans who care only minimally I’d recommend the Collective hire u asap.

Question for the collective- will they ever share the amount they have or the amount they have given out to athletes? I don't think many other schools or collective do this - but I could see pros and cons to this.

Con - definetley would not be good if we share, and find out - we are near the middle or bottom of dollars with schools we are directly competing with.

Pros - but if our cash flow is good, and others school collectives are secretive - this could be good PR and a recruting ploy. We got the money, we are using it, and other schools that don't share - well, they must not have as much or not sharing as much as we do.

Question for the collective- will they ever share the amount they have or the amount they have given out to athletes? I don't think many other schools or collective do this - but I could see pros and cons to this.

Con - definetley would not be good if we share, and find out - we are near the middle or bottom of dollars with schools we are directly competing with.

Pros - but if our cash flow is good, and others school collectives are secretive - this could be good PR and a recruting ploy. We got the money, we are using it, and other schools that don't share - well, they must not have as much or not sharing as much as we do.
I think the turmoil that Deion Sander’s son with law suits and whatever, may have a big affect in the
NIL world

A comment on the scrimmage info:

Love hearing about the physicality. I feel like the level of defensive intensity really picked up in Boyden's first season (though slipped a little as year went on), and then last year was very good again. Harris, Walz, Dji and Bigs were all very tough grabbing rebounds in traffic and playing physical - and that worried/worries me losing three of those guys. Like the addition of Beagle in this regard, and think Jaylen Robinson will have a place.

Back to the scrimmage - the "physicality" reported is my number one take away and bright spot in my opinion. The softer play of Mooney's team was a big criticism I had in past years, and like that we seem to be still moving in the right direction. Despite being on the shorter side, both Hunt and Tyne are quick, and physical defenders, and LOVE what I have seen from Hunt setting the tone and expectation. That gives me hope that a guy like GW3 will be able to step in on the defensive end. I really like that Walz impressed, as I am high on him this year (which I know some of our Philly / PA based experts are not). I think Beagle will still play a huge role and think he fits right into this theme. Still not sure we have those long/athletic wing defenders from last season replaced, but like hearing the intensity and think that can go a long way even if we lose a little talent on the defensive side of the ball.

JOC scrimmage report with a focus on Walz stepping into a bigger role. Also spotlight on Hunt's aggressiveness and scoring, Beagle's post moves and passing, and Tyne's and Neskovic's comfort out there even though shooting percentages weren't great.

On a side note - any chance these collectives get thrown out the window in a few years and the NCAA just says - no outside money allowed, but schools - go ahead and pay the athletes, and pay them as much or little as you want. Do you think that would make it better or worse than current state?
I don't think it goes that way. the whole point is that the ncaa shouldn't limit student athletes' earning potential. if Liv Dunne has 8 billion followers on social media, she should be allowed to financially capitalize on that. no limit.

Collectives are different ... but still the same concept. the market determines your worth.

I really like that Walz impressed, as I am high on him this year (which I know some of our Philly / PA based experts are not). I think Beagle will still play a huge role and think he fits right into this theme. Still not sure we have those long/athletic wing defenders from last season replaced, but like hearing the intensity and think that can go a long way even if we lose a little talent on the defensive side of the ball.
So I didn't think Walz was ready to be a contributor out of high school (saw him live many times) and I think that was correct. I said he would have a lot of work to do to become a solid contributor. But to me, he's done the work and he was a much improved player last year and I suspect will be even more improved this year. I am actually fairly high on him for the upcoming season. He's going to be a different kind of center than we have had in awhile. More physical and less finesse that Golden/Quinn and i will be very interested to see how much offense we run through him (or Beagle) at the high post. Haven't seen that he's as skilled as those past guys. If he's developed that part of his game too, he can be very good.

I like him to start, but he could struggle with fouls early in the season because he plays so physically and hasn't had to learn to reign that in yet. But Beagle is an excellent backup if it plays out that way. I suspect we see a bit of a two headed monster here with meaningful minutes for both (but little to no playing together). By the end of the year and in our most meaningful games, suspect we'll get more walz than Beagle and we'll be excited about that!

So I didn't think Walz was ready to be a contributor out of high school (saw him live many times) and I think that was correct. I said he would have a lot of work to do to become a solid contributor. But to me, he's done the work and he was a much improved player last year and I suspect will be even more improved this year. I am actually fairly high on him for the upcoming season. He's going to be a different kind of center than we have had in awhile. More physical and less finesse that Golden/Quinn and i will be very interested to see how much offense we run through him (or Beagle) at the high post. Haven't seen that he's as skilled as those past guys. If he's developed that part of his game too, he can be very good.

I like him to start, but he could struggle with fouls early in the season because he plays so physically and hasn't had to learn to reign that in yet. But Beagle is an excellent backup if it plays out that way. I suspect we see a bit of a two headed monster here with meaningful minutes for both (but little to no playing together). By the end of the year and in our most meaningful games, suspect we'll get more walz than Beagle and we'll be excited about that!
I was most shocked at the Walz/Beagle observations. I would have that bringing in the a ROY from another conference that Beagle would be slotted to start with Walz backing him up. That does not seem to be the case. I like Walz a lot but I saw him a bit like Grace as a player who is great in a back-up roll but not someone you want starting if you wanna contends. He does seem to be putting in the work and unlike Grace, Walz has a physique to play with any center in the league.

I don't think Walz will be a go-to offensive center like Golden or Quinn, but with the right guys around him he can be a very effective starting center.
and I think we have the right guys around him.

I don't think Walz will be a go-to offensive center like Golden or Quinn, but with the right guys around him he can be a very effective starting center.
and I think we have the right guys around him.
Agreed, I also think Walz could be a dominant interior presence that we have lacked particularly on the defense end of things. On offense, we will have to adjust things if he starts because he is not the gifted passer out of the high post that Golden/Quinn were. Yes, he can do it, but it is not his strength. His strength will be more on the low block, using his significant size/strength to play a little bully ball.

He could be that type of passer and clearly wants to be, but just needs to slow down and develop chemistry with his teammates. Golden/Gilly backdoor was money but those guys ran together 5 years. We saw Quinn try to force backdoors a lot at times (along with his good passes) and that's what Walz has to avoid, forcing the issue too much, especially bc he gets in his own head at times.

Take those that are there within the offense, occasionally try to make a great pass, stop whipping those cross court fastballs to the 4th row.

If he's a moderate threat from 3, it also opens things up for everyone cutting. Remains to be seen.

Remember that the America East is historically a bottom 5 conference, so while Beagle showed out there, it's a jump to the A10. King came from a better conference, no? (2 better if you include the MAAC.) I still think the split is close to even for minutes between them. Even Grant (as upperclassman) was limited to like 26mpg under Moon's rotations, right?

Just like in years past we always say before the season - this is a deep team, we have lots of depth, and then it turns out - we really don't, I am "cautiously optimistic" at the idea and reports that we are more physical. Part of me wants to believe it, but part of me also says - lets not forget this was an intra-squad practice scrimmage. So while they may appear physical against each other - not sure how that measures up against a real opponent, who may be really physical.

I think Walz can be a good player for us. I like his intensity. Agreed - don't need him to be a star for us right now. But if he could get UR 8 points a night, grab 5-6 rebounds, and play about 20-25 minutes - that would be very good progression for him.

Agreed, I also think Walz could be a dominant interior presence that we have lacked particularly on the defense end of things. On offense, we will have to adjust things if he starts because he is not the gifted passer out of the high post that Golden/Quinn were. Yes, he can do it, but it is not his strength. His strength will be more on the low block, using his significant size/strength to play a little bully ball.
Let him offensive rebound, get fouled because he's tough and relentless and most importantly make his foul shots. Turn him loose.

Quinn gave us a good two years, but IMO Walz can be better, not just b/c of physicality - but just being more decisive. It was mentioned they gave him that foul line jumper in the scrimmage and he just turned around and shot it. Quinn would drive me absolutely mad by either A) not looking at the basket or B) looking at a wide open 12 footer and trying to make it a contested 8 foot push shot. I think Walz has more confidence to shoot the ball then Quinn. Whether that translates into consistent scorer or not is to be seen.
Going into my write up on Walz, had the same concern as Philly about Walz' fouls, b/c it did seem to me he picked them up pretty rapidly. But he only averaged 4 fouls per 40 minutes. It sounds like the plan will be to turn both Beagle and Walz loose a bit on the boards, so he may fould at a higher rate, but have a good tandem so not that much of a concern.

Quinn gave us a good two years, but IMO Walz can be better, not just b/c of physicality - but just being more decisive. It was mentioned they gave him that foul line jumper in the scrimmage and he just turned around and shot it. Quinn would drive me absolutely mad by either A) not looking at the basket or B) looking at a wide open 12 footer and trying to make it a contested 8 foot push shot. I think Walz has more confidence to shoot the ball then Quinn. Whether that translates into consistent scorer or not is to be seen.
Walz will be physical and could possibly exceed Quinn on blocks and rebounds. there's no way he'll be a better offensive player in scoring or assist rate. I'd bet Ulla's ranch.

Reactions: MDspider8
Walz will be physical and could possibly exceed Quinn on blocks and rebounds. there's no way he'll be a better offensive player in scoring or assist rate. I'd bet Ulla's ranch.
agree on this but with a few additions. Quinn wasn't a big shot blocker but he was an excellent post defender. One of the reasons we were so much better defensively last year was how good he was taking post play away from other teams. If Walz can just do that as well, we will be in good shape. Quinn also wasn't a big offensive rebounder but did a good job as a defensive rebounder and was a big reason we were much improved there too. Again, if Walz can be as good there we are in good shape. I'd hope Moon loosens the reigns a little on the offensive glass too because I think we have centers that might be able to do it a little bit.

I do think Walz can (and will) be better than Quinn with both the elbow jumper and from three!

Going into my write up on Walz, had the same concern as Philly about Walz' fouls, b/c it did seem to me he picked them up pretty rapidly. But he only averaged 4 fouls per 40 minutes. It sounds like the plan will be to turn both Beagle and Walz loose a bit on the boards, so he may fould at a higher rate, but have a good tandem so not that much of a concern.
12 points 4 assists and 5 rebounds.. Zero chance that walz gets to those numbers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT