ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

Idk why they didn’t identify on the tweet graphic but it’s in the actual release. They have 2 games in the espn event in Orlando. They’re done.
So they don’t play us in Orlando? 😉

Wake released their OOC schedule ... we're not on it again.

Do we know the reason why this stopped? Played them for 20+ years straight and been years since we played them. Vaguely recall the Robins donation to Wake was contingent on playing us each year?

The ACC going to a 20 game IC schedule probably caused a lot of OOC series to end for ACC teams. We played Wake the last year the ACC was at an 18 game IC schedule. The first year the ACC went to 20, we weren't on there. Looking at Wake's last 3 years, their only OOC road games were against power teams and I think those were part of the conference challenge series. So, like most power conference teams, they either go buy game at home or neutral tourney.

Last edited:
Do we know the reason why this stopped? Played them for 20+ years straight and been years since we played them. Vaguely recall the Robins donation to Wake was contingent on playing us each year?

Did we really play them 20 years straight? It doesn’t feel that way. There was a break b4 & then came back for a bit. But certainly some history so maybe it does again. The Robins thing was a long time ago. But now feels dead & gotta be a Wake decision.

Did we really play them 20 years straight? It doesn’t feel that way. There was a break b4 & then came back for a bit. But certainly some history so maybe it does again. The Robins thing was a long time ago. But now feels dead & gotta be a Wake decision.
Not 20 Straight but starting 1988-1989, 10 straight, miss 2, 7 straight, miss 1, 10 straight…

I think…

Last edited:
Looks like of the last 60 seasons. We missed playing Wake 12 Times. The last 6 and…
Ending in

Actually we played them in 1976 season so 49 of 60…

SF is that correct?

Looks like of the last 60 seasons. We missed playing Wake 12 Times. The last 6 and…
Ending in

Actually we played them in 1976 season so 49 of 60…

SF is that correct?

I think u mean last 50 not 60 years. idk what u can tell by your link. Try this one...

Reactions: urfan1
I think u mean last 50 not 60 years. idk what u can tell by your link. Try this one...

Don’t know why excel was showing a count of 60. However, 1975-1976 to 2017-2018, 37 games, 6 seasons without a game.
I think your link concurs.

Difficult to do research and complete work projects at the same time. 😁

Our MTE this year might be a concern. If this link accurate it says only 4 power5 teams don't have a MTE yet. Cal, Cincy, Utah and Depaulful. Also we're 1 of 2 A10 teams (Rhody) who aren't verified to be in MTE yet.

So if we're in a MTE with a P5, and I think goal is always to be in one with at least a couple P5s, that could mean those 4 are the remaining p5 options.

I only say could because I'm positive there are MTEs with P5 teams committed that haven't filled out all the teams. but how many idk I haven't reviewed the info in link. We could be in 1 and just not announced. tho usually we know our MTE by now. That is usually 1 of the first scheduling news we hear. So a little more concerning our MTE could be even weaker than normal. I will remain optismistic for now and hope its the latter situation - in MTE with good teams that hasn't been finalized with all teams.

Where will Rick Giles and the Gazelle Group get us into this year?

Agreed...things are looking pretty bleak there. Don't really see any good fits for events that still have spots open.

Look for us to land in a 2-game MTE with Cal and DePaul in Vladivostok.

pretty loaded MTE's for VCU, SJU, Dayton, and Davidson.

get us in the Myrle Beach one with Bradley, Princeton and South Florida.

Agreed...things are looking pretty bleak there. Don't really see any good fits for events that still have spots open.

Look for us to land in a 2-game MTE with Cal and DePaul in Vladivostok.
Where should our alarm level be that now this is July and only 4 P6 teams don't have an MTE yet? We have a chance to be really competitive this year and we need a high quality OOC to put us in the position for at large discussion. MTE's are usually where we get our best chances for eye catching wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Where should our alarm level be that now this is July and only 4 P6 teams don't have an MTE yet? We have a chance to be really competitive this year and we need a high quality OOC to put us in the position for at large discussion. MTE's are usually where we get our best chances for eye catching wins.
it doesn't help to schedule tougher teams if you lose.

the argument can be made to follow the P6 model. play anyone you can at home. good teams, bad teams ... doesn't matter.
if you have to go on the road, they have to be Q1. but try to get those to a neutral site.

it's a bad idea to play solid but unspectacular teams like Wichita St, Northern Iowa, and BC on the road.

the argument can be made to follow the P6 model. play anyone you can at home. good teams, bad teams ... doesn't matter.
if you have to go on the road, they have to be Q1. but try to get those to a neutral site.

it's a bad idea to play solid but unspectacular teams like Wichita St, Northern Iowa, and BC on the road.
I don't disagree. But on the other thread we were just talking about Dayton OOC wins over unspectacular P6 teams and how it allowed them to be safety in the tournament. If we beat Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and BC on the road last year, we probably would have been dancing.

I really liked an OOC schedule last year, it would have allowed us to be in at large consideration if we would have won just a few more of the games.

I don't disagree. But on the other thread we were just talking about Dayton OOC wins over unspectacular P6 teams and how it allowed them to be safety in the tournament. If we beat Wichita State, Northern Iowa, and BC on the road last year, we probably would have been dancing.

I really liked an OOC schedule last year, it would have allowed us to be in at large consideration if we would have won just a few more of the games.
road wins are great for the resume, no doubt. but problem is you risk losing most of them. road games are tough.

Dayton did win a couple, but they also travelled to Northwestern and lost.
they had a successful neutral court MTE beating LSU and St Johns. that's where I want us to play good teams. not at their homes.

but wasn't the latter the recommendation of our great scheduling consultant Joe Lunardi?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
road wins are great for the resume, no doubt. but problem is you risk losing most of them. road games are tough.

Dayton did win a couple, but they also travelled to Northwestern and lost.
they had a successful neutral court MTE beating LSU and St Johns. that's where I want us to play good teams. not at their homes.
Agreed. Hence my concern about the lack of an MTE right now and the fact that almost all P6 have already committed to an MTE.

Reactions: spiderman
They've slipped a bit since Byrd retired and they moved to the more competitive MVC, but definitely the sort of H&H we like to look for.

VMI's full non-conference schedule. Four non-DI home games and they managed to get Queens to come to them. Otherwise everything is on the road including UR, GW, and Davidson as previously discussed. (Their MTE is only an hour away in White Sulphur Springs though.)

Reactions: Spiders4ever
so what are our confirmed games now? I think we have a few confirmed with dates, and a few rumored/announced with no dates? Could anyone put that together like we’ve had in years past?

so what are our confirmed games now? I think we have a few confirmed with dates, and a few rumored/announced with no dates? Could anyone put that together like we’ve had in years past?
12/14 vs. Belmont
12/18 @ W&M
12/21 vs. VMI
TBD @ Charlotte
TBD vs. FGCU

Rumored/mentioned but not confirmed by media outlet:
TBD @ Auburn

Certainly a ways to go with our schedule. Kind of surprised we haven’t heard about an MTE at this point. Looks like only 2 power conference teams: Cal and DePaul aren’t in a MTE at this point. Us and URI are the two A10 teams not in a tournament so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderDogg
thanks spiderstudent17. If I ask the right people I sometimes hear about new games, think I was the one to report us playing at Kentucky a few years back. Will keep sniffing

Continue to see many schools releasing their OOC schedules. Ours seems very sparse, 4 games, possibly 5, no MTE as of yet. Any updates, anyone would care to share.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Wishful thinking on my part, but looks like the UCLA MTE may still be looking for one more team according to the blogging the bracket website, unless it’s meant to be a 3 team tournament and UCLA plays both Fullerton and Idaho State. Would love to play UCLA and also play another quality team while we’re already out west like Saint Mary’s, SDSU, or Nevada

Last edited:
A lot of the 2-game MTEs are just three teams playing a round robin. I'd think Rocco would have mentioned a 4th team TBA if there was one. But yeah, I guess slim chance there's another spot and he just didn't know about it.

Down to Cal as the only P5 program not committed to an MTE yet, and not much else in the way of open spots in existing tournaments that are at all appealing.

Plus you’re trying to get p5 games at a true neutral site. Not ON their home court. It can work out (UK) but it’s rare & definitely not the goal of our MTEs. And some of these others you’d end up with bad games at neutral site vs. at least filling up your home schedule like uk one. Tho I’m not a fan of eating bad games to get 1 good one in either case. It might be our last resort this season. The neutral mte is the most important piece of scheduling - & that’s from Mooney not me, but I happen to agree. And bonus u get a little destination trip for the team. Which is why being in this position is both surprising and disappointing. Maybe we’ve taken someone else’s spot in a MTE that hasn’t been reported. Seems unrealistic but could be only hope. Or maybe just won’t be playing one. MTE also used to let u get the max games. Without u were down 1-2 ooc games. I assume still a rule unless changed but idk.

JOC on the Noyes–Belmont connection. Says still no word on an MTE, and we're also hosting FGCU.

The Spiders’ nonconference schedule continues to take shape, slowly. There is still no official word on what multi-team event UR may join, but at this stage, Richmond will visit William & Mary and Charlotte, and host Belmont, VMI and Florida Gulf Coast.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT