ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

With our roster now complete, building out the non-conference sure is going to be interesting since you have to think this team is going to be better in December than November … let’s call VMI back and move that game back to the opener …

With our roster now complete, building out the non-conference sure is going to be interesting since you have to think this team is going to be better in December than November … let’s call VMI back and move that game back to the opener …
I don't know. it's different now. these kids will be together all summer and fall.
and it's not like the newcomers are freshmen.
no excuses. come out strong.

Scheduling games might be the hardest thing we have to do in basketball. Finding good teams who want to play us, but also teams that give us more of a chance to win the games is very difficult. Not to mention P5 teams gaming the NET system by beating really bad OOC teams by 50 points and then they all play each other in conference as top 100 net teams so they always have a Q1 or Q2 game. We also have to balance the amount of buy-games so we can build confidence with a winning record, but not too many where it can hurt our NET rankings.

What we need to do is have another scheduling agreement with the MWC. Add the AAC and MVC too.

It bums me when I see other A10 teams be in top tournaments like Davidson in the Battle 4 Atlantis this year. That would be amazing for us and I would even fly there to watch the games and have a nice family vacation like I’m sure other spider fans would too. We won A10 tourney in 2022 and regular season in 2024. These tournaments (Battle 4 Atlantis, Maui invitational, etc) typically like to have an A10 member represented. Not sure how we apply for it, or if it’s a reach out to us kind of thing, but man wouldn’t that be nice.

I've been keeping an eye out, but so far it's crickets. VMI is the only one I've seen details on, but we should also have games at W&M and Charlotte. Everything else from last year was either a one-off or the end of a series (UNI, Wichita).

There are many games that need to be scheduled. It gets harder every years to get power conference teams on schedule. Chris on last nights Spider Cooperative Zoom call gave an example of a tournament in Orland where 4 teams from power conferences and 4 high mid majors used to play each other. They have now changed the format into 2 divisions where the power conference teams only play each other. The teams from major conferences prefer to play either each other or the worst teams in the country.

U of R objective is to get best schedule possible. We will be in a tournament that should have a number of good teams, but they are still building the teams out.

That's dissapointing about the ESPN Orlando tournament going from a 3-game 8 team tourney to 2 games. u see the division setup with MTEs regularly, we've been in many ourselves, but it's with the low major teams where u have to play 1-2 bad games on campus but then in a 4 team division at the neutral site.

While losing 1 of those better 3-game 8 teamers is bad for the game imo, we showed no ability to ever get into those MTEs anyway. I expect we'll be in another Gazelle Group tourney run by Mooney's agent. That is traditionally the best we've been able to do in MTEs for whatever reason. Maybe we'll get surprised but after the extension it's a little more likely for some more quid pro quo.

We've built a nice OOC schedule the past few years and my expectation is that we will have a similarly nice schedule this year. A game at Auburn is a tall-tall task. You don't say no to that game, but that is also a game I wouldn't expect us to win. But I like the play anywhere mentality.

If people are going to post negative BS comments like this I will not give any more updates on schedule.
I don't understand what is so "negative" about this comment. He lamented about the change in the ESPN Orlando tourney and then stated that we usually end up in one of the Gazelle MTE's that are also run by Mooney's agent, which is factually true.

I like the Auburn game on the road. We need games like that and need to pull that kind of upset (or similar) in seasons we want to dance at large - it's the type of win that you could point at that most bubble type teams won't have OOC. Otherwise, we walk a razor thin line where basically perfection is needed to avoid every single landmine in the schedule and some parts of it (how our OOC opponents do overall vs their schedules) are out of our control.

The Gazelle Brooklyn tournaments often have good teams, but as noted, they often come with some true bottom feeders.

The new blueprint in scheduling was set last year by the B12. Everyone go 12-1 OOC and let the top 3-4 teams be those to play/win vs tough OOC schedules and come in to league play with top 20 NETs and raise the SOS drastically of the teams that play them in league. So mid/lower tier power league schools are going to schedule lots of dregs, lots of home games and maybe one neutral tournament and one other tough OOC game. They can come into league play with a 200+ SOS with lots of wins and end up top 50-75 SOS overall just by playing Kansas and Baylor.

(fwiw I didn't see anything out of line in the post above. it's a known fact that we do Gazelle Group tournaments almost exclusively and that they also are Moon's agent.)

If people are going to post negative BS comments like this I will not give any more updates on schedule.

can I ask what do u take issue with in my post? It's all true except the quid pro quo is speculation but not unreasonable to say it looks that way.

The quote I responded to wasn't exactly new information either. The Auburn post was. Great to get that game, need many more like it imo and hope we do. So THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK UR80SFAN!!! Sorry I did not kiss the ring. Pretty self indulgent imo to say u will only share info if ppl respond in ways that u deem to be appropriate. I like your info I encourage it, but hey it's your choice alone whether to share or go away. I try to share info & andecdotes re: the Spiders too, as do others. The board will be fine with or without. None of us are as important as we think we are.

The new blueprint in scheduling was set last year by the B12. Everyone go 12-1 OOC and let the top 3-4 teams be those to play/win vs tough OOC schedules and come in to league play with top 20 NETs and raise the SOS drastically of the teams that play them in league

They have definitely gamed the system. Problem is the committee will still value wins more against Q3 in Big12 more because of name recognition and reputation the league has as being the best (can’t argue with that). In my opinion, what we need in the A10 is for the historically bottom third teams to schedule in a way where they go 12-1 or 11-2 (even if it means >50% Q4 games) so hopefully that all teams’ NET is above a Q4 when we all play each other. For us, same idea but because we’ve historically been a top half A10 team, we can be more ambitious with our schedule to reach the 11-2 or 10-3 at worst record. We want to schedule tough games against tough opponents but it’s important to win games too. We can schedule all our games against top 50 power 5 opponents but if we lose all of them, then it doesn’t mean a thing. So it’s important to find that balance where we can have a good record, play teams that are good but winnable, and also some teams like @Auburn which we are not expected to win but if we do, will look fantastic on our resume. I would like to see our schedule breakdown for OOC anticipated NET like this:
Q1-2 games: 5
Q3 games: 5
Q4 games: 3

Auburn is 45-3 in their past 3 years at home, so I hope no one if getting their hopes to high about winning that game. Auburn is one of the premier programs in the country and they have one of the best home court advantages around.

Again, I don't see how you turn down a game there but when it comes to scheduling you want to schedule the best teams you can beat. Playing a road game at Auburn would not be on my list of places to play if I'm scheduling for Richmond.

In my opinion, what we need in the A10 is for the historically bottom third teams to schedule in a way where they go 12-1 or 11-2 (even if it means >50% Q4 games) so hopefully that all teams’ NET is above a Q4 when we all play each other.
we did exactly what you suggest last year. really not sure as a whole we could do it much better.

LaSalle: only 6-12 in conference, but went 8-4 OOC with losses to Duke, Miami and Temple.
GW: 4-14 in conference, but 10-2 OOC with a loss to #24 South Carolina.
Davidson: 5-13 in conference but 8-3 OOC with losses to #14 Clemson and #21 Saint Mary's.
SJU: 9-9 in conference but 10-3 OOC with an OT losee to #20 Kentucky (beat Villanova).
Bonnies: 9-9 in conference but 9-3 OOC with losses to FAU and #18 Auburn.
GMU: 9-9 in conference but 10-2 OOC a loss to #5 Tennessee.
Duquesne: 10-8 in conference but 9-3 OOC.
UMass: 9-3 OOC
Dayton: 10-2 OOC

but a few maybe scheduled too hard or didn't play well enough and lost too many OOC:
URI: 5-7
Fordham: 6-7
SLU: 6-6
Loyola Chicago: 8-5
Richmond: 8-5
VCU: 8-5

Reactions: urfan1
we did exactly what you suggest last year. really not sure as a whole we could do it much better.

LaSalle: only 6-12 in conference, but went 8-4 OOC with losses to Duke, Miami and Temple.
Davidson: 5-13 in conference but 8-3 OOC with losses to #14 Clemson and #21 Saint Mary's.
SJU: 9-9 in conference but 10-3 OOC with an OT losee to #20 Kentucky (beat Villanova).

but a few maybe scheduled too hard or didn't play well enough and lost too many OOC:

I agree we did a good job with scheduling last year. We just didn’t win the games. Had we beaten BC, UNI, Wichita State and finished 11-2 with losses to Colorado and Florida, we would have been a lot closer to the bubble than where we were and certainly in the conversation of an at-large. I have no complaints with our schedule last year to position ourselves for an at-large bid.

With respect to the other lower teams. I get the same way we can’t turn down a game at Auburn, La Salle can’t turn down a game at Duke. I just think all teams should be smart about how many of those games to take even if offered. I would not want to have a 13 OOC schedule where we play teams like Auburn, Duke, Houston, UConn, etc for all of the games. For us, I think we can afford 1-2 of those games. For La Salle maybe it’s just 0-1. For Dayton maybe 3-4. All depends on teams performance and ability to win the games. There’s no way to know if teams will do very poorly in conference like GW despite a good OOC record. Inevitably that will happen every year. But a team like GW going 10-3 OOC but laying an egg in conference is still okay, if they don’t drop below a Q3 game.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1

This is great info. Thanks for putting together.

Reactions: spiderman
Auburn is 45-3 in their past 3 years at home, so I hope no one if getting their hopes to high about winning that game. Auburn is one of the premier programs in the country and they have one of the best home court advantages around.

Again, I don't see how you turn down a game there but when it comes to scheduling you want to schedule the best teams you can beat. Playing a road game at Auburn would not be on my list of places to play if I'm scheduling for Richmond.

that's what was said about Kansas game too and it got us the at large bid. I think we should have some hopes of winning at Auburn. & maybe top does not equal premier but we are one of the top programs in the nation so we why wouldn't we have a shot. U can also catch some of these teams in OOC who r not locked in imo. we should try to play as many good teams as we can. I would definitely take another buy game on road. The #1 way to get at large for a UR is to win big OOC games.

You can post all the negative BS you want on other post, but I if I giving you info from the coach, which is not intended for this board you can't use that info to attack the coach. These Zoom meetings have a lot of great info on the program and players, most of which I can not share, but there is still a lot of great stuff I think the board would he highly interested in and Chris would not have an issue in me sharing.

Again that is is very self righteous or self indulgent. To tell others how they must respond to your posts from a zoom meeting. If he doesn't care about u sharing it's a non issue. he surely doesn't care about how someone responds on here to it. btw that was no attack. Quite a leap to descibe it that way imo. Look at our history of MTEs and the relationship with Mooney and Gazelle Group.

can I ask what do u take issue with in my post? It's all true except the quid pro quo is speculation but not unreasonable to say it looks that way.

The quote I responded to wasn't exactly new information either. The Auburn post was. Great to get that game, need many more like it imo and hope we do. So THANK U THANK U THANK U THANK UR80SFAN!!! Sorry I did not kiss the ring. Pretty self indulgent imo to say u will only share info if ppl respond in ways that u deem to be appropriate. I like your info I encourage it, but hey it's your choice alone whether to share or go away. I try to share info & andecdotes re: the Spiders too, as do others. The board will be fine with or without. None of us are as important as we think we are.
I personally was disappointed with how you spelled "disappointing." I now think you are a VCU troll.

Again that is is very self righteous or self indulgent. To tell others how they must respond to your posts from a zoom meeting. If he doesn't care about u sharing it's a non issue. he surely doesn't care about how someone responds on here to it. btw that was no attack. Quite a leap to descibe it that way imo. Look at our history of MTEs and the relationship with Mooney and Gazelle Group.
Thank you for making your intension very clear.

Why would you give information from coach not intended for this board? That doesn’t seem very trustworthy to me.
Someone involved with running the NIL does read my post and provides feedback if I say anything I shouldn't. All the people running the NIL know I have been active on this board for a long time. When the coach speaks there are certain things he doesn't want repeated and other info I don't think he would care about. With that said, I will share very little going forward. I think this board has a vast majority of great people who love our program, but there a few that hate the coach and the program and will use any info in a negative way.

Someone involved with running the NIL does read my post and provides feedback if I say anything I shouldn't. All the people running the NIL know I have been active on this board for a long time. When the coach speaks there are certain things he doesn't want repeated and other info I don't think he would care about. With that said, I will share very little going forward. I think this board has a vast majority of great people who love our program, but there a few that hate the coach and the program and will use any info in a negative way.
Your NIL friends needs to loosen their panties a little bit. Y'all are hearing some some college coach speak on college basketball, not high level clearance government secrets.

Great, we are playing Auburn, thanks for letting the proletarian know a little bit about what the rich cabal that runs Richmond basketball found out in their zoom call with Mooney. I know y'all have to shelter what you let the unwashed masses know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT