ADVERTISEMENT

2024–25 schedule

If our athletic department can't get us good OOC and can't hype our product, why would any outsider/TV network be inclined to buy into us. VCU is constantly hyping (or in business terms, "marketing") their program and we see the evidence of that success. Meanwhile, the only thing our AD has said about our program in the past 6 months is a whine fest about how hard it is to schedule.

Pretty clear from the TV schedule we are not even remotely interesting program/product to put on TV. Everyone in our marketing department should be working to change that, not sharing side eye meme's on social media. We should be doing a presser today saying the defending A-10 champs being shut out of prime time TV games is something we take personally. I'm at least glad Delonnie is on board with that message. Shouldn't be the players though, should be Hardt and Mooney saying that in public.

btw ... every schedule I look at, game #1 is 11/4. that's opening night.
can anyone explain why why we open on 11/6?
Mount Olive wasn't available on the 4th?

• Haha
Reactions: mojo-spider
that's funny. I mean, it's one thing to throw Mt Olive an opening night bone (that's bad enough). but if they aren't available ... you swap them for some other crappy team who is.

you don't sit home on opening night while everyone else plays.

Reactions: gospidersgo
that's funny. I mean, it's one thing to throw Mt Olive an opening night bone (that's bad enough). but if they aren't available ... you swap them for some other crappy team who is.

This was smart move my UR in my mind. We get game film on Mount Olive and properly prepare for them, and hope they are tired from the travel - while we get to rest at home and get a good scouting report in. Would not be surprised if Gipe drives down to UNCW in full disguise to watch the game live.

We needed the 2 extra days of practice for cohesion…

Trap, I sincerely hope your post about extra time to scout Mt. Olive and hope that they are tired is entirely sarcastic or meant as a joke. If we need extra advantages over them, then our schedule is actually too tough, not the opposite.

Agreed. Our athletic department again fails on basic marketing of our product. Hey, everyone opens up on this date but the D-2 team that we scheduled to open can't play that night. Oh well, we will just open on a different night then.

In the world of lost opportunities, this certainly is not the biggest but when you add this to a crappy OOC, crappy/incomplete MTE, shut out of ESPN league games, it all adds up to making to an image screaming, we are small time, we will settle for whatever.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
btw ... every schedule I look at, game #1 is 11/4. that's opening night.
can anyone explain why why we open on 11/6?
Mount Olive wasn't available on the 4th?
Agreed. Our athletic department again fails on basic marketing of our product. Hey, everyone opens up on this date but the D-2 team that we scheduled to open can't play that night. Oh well, we will just open on a different night then.

In the world of lost opportunities, this certainly is not the biggest but when you add this to a crappy OOC, crappy/incomplete MTE, shut out of ESPN league games, it all adds up to making to an image screaming, we are small time, we will settle for whatever.

Yeah I brought this up when schedule came up because I thought it was very strange. I think it got lost amongst the turd of the schedule.

u r jazzed up for 1st game, whether that is an easy cupcake or not. It's the 1st game and everyone else is opening and there is more eyeballs on college hoops as result. Yet we open 2 days later and we open with a d2 team that isn't even counting the game! So an exhibition for our opponent is our HOME reg season opener. We usually get a nice opening crowd, granted it takes someone breaking your car window and leaving free tix in the seat, but ppl show up. I have to think it will be less vs Mount Olive and some may not even realize its not a exhibition for us. We'll see I guess if any discernable difference w attendance. maybe wanting to see all the new players is enough. In my mind we don't have a real game until the 9th. It's like hey let's just sit out for 5 days, which is an interesting tactic. And I realize not likely desired, but the execution is on the staff and AD.

We’ve explained a couple times…5 teams playing 3 games each is 15 total “spots”. At two spots per game, it doesn’t divide evenly.
Are you allowed to play 2 games in 3 days? 2 games day 1, 2 games day 2.

Different teams sit out each day and play each other day 3.

Then everyone needs 1 game elsewhere, or not…

IF teams 1A, 2B. 3C. 4D and 5E. 1 plays BCD, 2 plays AED, 4 plays ABE, 4 plays CAB and 5 plays CDE. I think each team plays 3 games feel free to check me. Then set rules for who wins tourney, eg wins and margins.

what about BAC? might need that checked.

Reactions: urfan1
Are you allowed to play 2 games in 3 days? 2 games day 1, 2 games day 2.

Different teams sit out each day and play each other day 3.

Then everyone needs 1 game elsewhere, or not…
Yes, you could do two games each over three days:

Day 1
A–B
C–D
E sits out

Day 2
A–C
D–E
B sits out

Day 3
B–E
A/C/D sit out

It still counts as an MTE and we'd still be allowed 31 games max, so we could another non-MTE game to our schedule, if we could find another opponent. In theory, you could do like A–D and B–C paired up for games outside of the MTE, and E would be the only one left hanging needing another opponent from somewhere.

Reactions: spiderman
Trap, I sincerely hope your post about extra time to scout Mt. Olive and hope that they are tired is entirely sarcastic or meant as a joke. If we need extra advantages over them, then our schedule is actually too tough, not the opposite.
It was as sarcastic as they come, BUT - i looked at Mount Olive last year.

They played NC State in an exhibition - lost by 10. 5 days later - they played UNCW and lost by 39. So again - maybe a smart move, Mount Olive will hang with UNCW, but then get blown out by UR?

Reactions: urfan1
so will Mt. Olive take this game seriously or treat it as an exhibition? What if they decide to roll out the D2 walk ons to rest their best player for their actual games that count on their schedule?

I have so many questions about our schedule that will forever go unanswered. After the initial shock of how terrible it is, I'm actually quite enjoying the mess. The MTE ongoing saga is delightful, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

It's like a message board smorgasbord.

so will Mt. Olive take this game seriously or treat it as an exhibition? What if they decide to roll out the D2 walk ons to rest their best player for their actual games that count on their schedule?

I have so many questions about our schedule that will forever go unanswered. After the initial shock of how terrible it is, I'm actually quite enjoying the mess. The MTE ongoing saga is delightful, can't wait to see how it unfolds.

It's like a message board smorgasbord.
Oh it is indeed. This place is gonna be apocalyptic, when we lose at William & Mary or at home against Florida Gulf State or any other 12 landmine games besides Auburn that we scheduled for our OOC this year. It's gonna be good entertainment, not to watch, that is gonna be painful, but the after analysis on here is gonna be top notch.

And then watching Mooney try to explain why we have a NET in the 130's and zero at large chances after going 10-3 in the OOC also delectable.

In that case 2B is playing 4 games
Let's try this again. RE-did my chart: 1 plays, ABE, 2 CDA, 3 BCD, 4 EAB and 5 CDE. Problem, you likely cannot play more than 4 games in a day, and if so 1 team would play 2 on a day. So need to extend to at least a 4 day tourney,

May be moot as I was told today they are still pursuing 3 additional teams,

Last edited:
Let's try this again. RE-did my chart: 1 plays, ABE, 2 CDA, 3 BCD, 4 EAB and 5 CDE. Problem, you likely cannot play more than 4 games in a day, and if so 1 team would play 2 on a day. So need to extend to at least a 4 day tourney,

May be moot as I was told today they are still pursuing 3 additional teams,
Why are u still confusing everyone with numbers and letters? U don't need both!!! And, now u have 1 playing A. And 3 playing C. And 5 playing E! Maybe if you just used numbers, it would help you see it better. Just call the teams 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. The numbers don't work.

Last edited:
There is no "may be" to it. Why are you having such a hard time with this?
I think I just want us to have our 3 game MTE, no matter how weak it is, and trying to figure a way it is possible. But as said got from reliable source today they are still trying to fill out all 8 slots. And yes I have been following the posts by SF.

You may be right, but it all may be moot as I was told today they are still pursuing 3 additional teams,
I'm curious how there can be 3 additional teams still available on 9/26 that haven't been contacted about this tournament yet.
maybe they're trying to convince teams that had decided not to play an MTE.

The list of teams not doing one is pretty small:

Ivy: Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard
MAAC: Marist, Saint Peter’s
MEAC: Coppin State, Delaware State
NEC: Central Connecticut State, Wagner
Patriot: Lehigh, Loyola
SoCon: The Citadel, Western Carolina
SWAC: Florida A&M
Summit: Oral Roberts

I believe the Ivy has a rule where programs can only participate in MTEs twice every four years, so that's why they have a relatively high rate of non-participation in any given year.

Not going to go through them all, but I assume most or all of these schools have announced 29-game schedules already, so they'd have to cancel an already scheduled game in order to add a 3-game MTE. Many of course have games specifically scheduled on one or more of the Gulf Coast Showcase dates.

if truly looking to still add 3 teams I'd guess the Gulf Coast is looking to convince any of the 3 team 2-game MTEs at campus hosted sites that fall on same dates. & there would be some since popular time for MTEs. Problem is all teams would be adding a game, which means they would either need to be 1 game short of max or drop a game. Plus the team hosting the MTE has to be willing to give up a couple home games. All of which seems unlikely but you never know.

Adding 1 team to make 6 seems most probable whether that is some d1 or or a local d2/d3 "host:. Or 1 of the 5 team drops.

I'm curious how there can be 3 additional teams still available on 9/26 that haven't been contacted about this tournament yet.
maybe they're trying to convince teams that had decided not to play an MTE.
Or maybe one of the many MTEs out there will drop to 3 teams, eliminate their MTE and join the Gulf Coast one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT