ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 G League

Might need an injury in Denver at this point. Obviously Jokic is the man, and unfortunately they just brought in Bryant from the Lakers as a backup center at the trade deadline. And DeAndre Jordan is still there too.

I'm not sure what his contract situation is right now and whether he could be called up by another team. He probably could be since he's not on a two-way contract with Denver.
Makes sense. Looks like they can generally be called up by any team except under 2-way or if they’ve been assigned, neither of which are the case with GG. Hope he gets a look somewhere.

Reactions: KE Spider
if he is capable of this type of output against G-league talent it is curious how he never approached this level over the years against A10 talent. I wonder why that is.
the rebouding change is staggering.

just noticed Gilly is now leading the league in apg (if that wasn't already mentioned). he's at 9.7 while Stockton is at 9.5.

Reactions: urfan1
Like a completely different player than he was here. Amazing. Good for him, I hope he gets the call and makes a ton of cash.
I really think someone finally bought GG some contact lenses. The kid had no depth perception. Glad he is playing so well and hope he gets a big check like Mooney.

Reactions: whampas
the rebouding change is staggering.

just noticed Gilly is now leading the league in apg (if that wasn't already mentioned). he's at 9.7 while Stockton is at 9.5.
Never seen a Stockton have an assist before...

I won't say his rebounding hasn't improved, but keep in mind they're playing 48 fast-paced minutes and putting up ~120 points a night. He's playing more minutes and there are lots more rebounds to be had.
agreed. it's a different game. and g-league stats are inflated. his 19.1 ppg ranks 38th in the league. that's a lot of points.
really happy he's having this kind of success. he's not playing above himself either. his shooting percentages haven't changed. but he's a great big in today's game (if he can defend at this level). coaches will love the passing.

Reactions: nathanw19
agreed. it's a different game. and g-league stats are inflated. his 19.1 ppg ranks 38th in the league. that's a lot of points.
really happy he's having this kind of success. he's not playing above himself either. his shooting percentages haven't changed. but he's a great big in today's game (if he can defend at this level). coaches will love the passing.
You can say stats are inflated by pace/game length - only if you're comparing G league stats to his college stats. He is, however, averaging more rebounds than any other player in the same league, which is not at all a relative stat inflation, just a tangible thing, as all those other players play games of the same length and pace.

Note: this probably should have been aimed at SF, not sman, but same difference. He's playing really well and one component of that is an area we didn't see much of during his years at UR, so it's noteworthy.

That sky hook was really sweet, btw.

Absolutely, he measures up great...can't dispute that he's 4th in the league in rebounding, which is obviously fantastic. I just meant that comparing raw numbers like double-figure rebound games can overstate things a bit.

He's averaging 36.5 minutes per game, 6th in the league. He averaged 27.5 at UR. Some of those 7, 8, 9 rebound games at UR would have been double-figure games if he'd had another 10 minutes on the court. But it certainly wouldn't have raised him to his current rate of hitting double figures.

And at least among G League peers, even if you account for his high minutes by ranking rebounds per 48 minutes, he'd be 5th in the league.

Raw numbers/averages are certainly influenced by game length and PT but regardless he’s showing out well against peers.

I suspect a ton of it has to do with the systems being run (or not run) and expectations for him. He clearly had been instructed to run back to D for the most part in our system rather than hunt rebounds on the O glass. He’s averaging 2.6 ORB per game it looks like, something we would think unheard of for a Richmond player during his time here.

Reactions: whampas
Just some food for thought 😏

In 161 games for us he reached double digit rebounds 22 times and he already has 16 such games in the G-League not even halfway through the first season.

Someone from the pom pom mafia will have to explain that one to us.
There were people on this board that frequently criticized Grant while at Richmond. He is one of the the top 2 centers in Richmond history, where he had 120 more rebounds than any other player over the past 60 years and was our 2nd highest all-time scorer. He also ranked in the top 5 in assists and 2nd in efficiency ratio. I give Mooney an A+ in developing him and believe he will have a terrific professional career.

Last edited:
Reactions: spiderman
There were people on this board that frequently criticized Grant while at Richmond. He is one of the the top 2 centers in Richmond history, where he had 120 more rebounds than any other player over the past 60 years and was our 2nd highest all-time scorer. I give Mooney an A+ in developing him and believe he will have a terrific professional career.

I agree, Mooney is wonderful. Grant's G-league performance has earned coach another extension in my eyes.

There were people on this board that frequently criticized Grant while at Richmond. He is one of the the top 2 centers in Richmond history, where he had 120 more rebounds than any other player over the past 60 years and was our 2nd highest all-time scorer. He also ranked in the top 5 in assists and 2nd in efficiency ratio. I give Mooney an A+ in developing him and believe he will have a terrific professional career.
I loved GG when he was here. Always said he was the best offensive player on our team. With that said, it was some times infuriating how many inside shots he missed and his unwillingness to take over on the offensive end when we needed him.

Cline was arguably a more talented player and he’s also accomplished a lot in his professional career.

I’m looking forward to GG getting a shot in nba soon!!

Nice game from SDJ today...22 points with a game-high +17 +/-, plus 9 assists.

The Hustle game is also underway and Gilly had 5 assists and a couple of steals just in the first quarter.

Only 2 points for Gilly on a backdoor layup (only took 4 shots including a 3/4 court heave at the halftime buzzer), but 9 assists, 6 steals, and 6 boards. Make sure to check out these plays...all pretty incredible:

Reactions: Section9.RowD

Only 2 points for Gilly on a backdoor layup (only took 4 shots including a 3/4 court heave at the halftime buzzer), but 9 assists, 6 steals, and 6 boards. Make sure to check out these plays...all pretty incredible:

That last play was incredible. Too bad the guy missed the open 3, otherwise that might have made Sportcenter Top 10.

After an off night last night, Blake came back to lead the Charge off the bench in a blowout loss tonight with 16 points. Also pitched in 4 assists, 3 boards, and 3 steals.

Couple of our guys back in action tonight following the break, and they both came away with wins.

Blake with 9 points off the bench on a not-great shooting night, but he tossed in 4 boards, 3 assists, a steal, and a block, and finished at a +15.

Meanwhile, SDJ got the start tonight and while he similarly had a rough shooting night and only scored 4 points, he had 9 assists and 6 boards.

Reactions: urfan1
Hey, guess what...Grant Golden, player of the game. 26 points, 12 boards, 7 assists, a couple of steals, and a block in an OT loss to the Go-Go.

And then there's Gilly. The Hustle starters struggled tonight against the Ignite, but the bench boosted them to a narrow win. Only 2 points for Gilly as he took just 2 shots, but he did have 11 assists and 4 steals.

Spider alumni go 3–0 tonight.

Gilly once again looking to get others their shots over his...only 6 points (an efficient 2-for-3 from deep) but 14 assists, 5 boards, a steal, and a block in 25 minutes off the bench.

Blake with 15 points, 8 assists, 5 boards, and a steal in just 20 minutes off the bench and finished with a +29 in a blowout win.

And finally, SDJ had 16 points, 4 assists, 4 boards, and a steal in a Cruise win.

Quieter night tonight...

Blake with only 14 minutes off the bench and just 6 points, 2 boards, 2 assists, and a steal.

Bad shooting night for SDJ led to only 6 points, but he did manage 4 assists and a steal.

Grant is back in action tomorrow. Gilly doesn't play until Tuesday when he and Grant will face off against each other.

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
How about that Grant Golden guy...he's pretty good. 26 points, 16 boards, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and a steal as the Gold came back from 21 down to beat the Mad Ants. Grant continues to easily lead the G League in efficiency and ranks 5th in RPG. He's also sitting just inside the top 30 in both PPG and APG.

Still 10 games left, but this is a pretty incredible stat:

Looks like about the closest anyone else has come is Jerrelle Benimon in 2014–15, who averaged 19.8/11.0/4.4, and Erik Daniels in 2008–09, who averaged 21.1/10.0/4.5. Grant is at 19.5/11.3/5.3.

What time is the G to G faceoff, and is it available to watch anywhere? I would love to see if Gilyard can steal one of Golden's passes.
Showing NBA.TV which sadly appears to be $65 per month .. some of the games are on espn+ but not this one it seems.

NBA TV is a pretty basic-level channel. Might require a sports package with some providers, but others like YouTube TV give it to everyone as part of the basic package. (The $65/month thing is NBA League Pass, not NBA TV.)

Game is at 8pm Eastern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT