ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Summer League 2023 - Gilly and Golden

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
I don't know if we need a new thread or not, but they don't cost anything so here we are.

I mentioned in the Gilly NBA thread that he's on the Grizz Summer League roster, and now Grant is officially on the Nuggets' Summer League roster.

The Grizz are in the Salt Lake summer league event, playing a round robin July 3–6 against OKC, Philly, and Utah. They'll then head to Vegas for the main Summer League July 7–17. The Nuggets aren't playing in an early event and will instead hold their own mini-camp before heading to Vegas.

In Vegas, each team plays four games, with the top 4 then playing semis and a final for the championship. The other 26 teams will get matched up to give them all a fifth game.

I believe you can watch Gilyard's game tonight on espn+

I believe you can watch Gilyard's game tonight on espn+
Except he's not playing...all the starters are riding the bench so the rest of the roster can get some good time on the floor.

Not super surprising given it's a back-to-back wrapping up the SLC preview event and they'll be kicking off the real Summer League on Saturday.

Grizz finish strong to get the 87–80 win over the Bulls in their first game in Vegas. Gilly with 11 points on perfect shooting from the field including three triples. Also had 8 assists and 3 boards, but only one steal. Was also an uncharacteristic 0-for-3 from the line including missing a pair with ~20 seconds left.

Nuggets fall to 0–2, and Grant didn't get on the court as the Nuggets wanted Simms to get some minutes.

He can be active for up 50 of their 82 games.

Smart and Rose give them two solid options at PG even with Ja out, but obviously early in the season is when Gilly will have the most opportunity with only two guys in front of him instead of three.

Unclear how much time he will spend called up...I'm sure the Grizz would rather have him getting floor time with the Hustle than riding the bench with the Grizz. Obviously any sort of injury (even a minor one) to Smart or Rose gives him a really good chance at some time.

Reactions: urfan1
Agreed that got Rose and Smart, but one small injury and maybe gets a call up for 10 days. And Rose is usually limited in minutes anyways, so maybe they Gilly makes it on team as 12th man, rides the bench and when load management kicks in for Rose - he gets to play.

Something to keep an eye on

Either way, great to see both of them playing great and taking advantage of the opportunities they’ve been given.

Ugly game for the Grizz tonight, blown out by the Cavs. Gilly was back to starting and had only 6 points on 2-for-6 from deep. Did have 5 assists 4 boards, a block, and only 1 turnover though. No steals.

Grant might have a chance as well to move up - not sure what Nuggets are plannign with DeAndre Jordan - but he is up in age, and now that Nuggets won the title, and Jordan is a free agent and was really only other big man on the roster for Center at least. Maybe Grant gets a call up this year to fill in - much cheaper than Jordan's 3-4 million per year for sure.

Grant might have a chance as well to move up - not sure what Nuggets are plannign with DeAndre Jordan - but he is up in age, and now that Nuggets won the title, and Jordan is a free agent and was really only other big man on the roster for Center at least. Maybe Grant gets a call up this year to fill in - much cheaper than Jordan's 3-4 million per year for sure.
Saw Jordan for 76ers few year back in limited games and he looked washed up then. Also thought Rose was done after downward turn in his game last year for Knicks. Probably both cheap enough options that if GG and Jacob prove dependable backups they could both be easily waived. Let's hope so!

Saw Jordan for 76ers few year back in limited games and he looked washed up then. Also thought Rose was done after downward turn in his game last year for Knicks. Probably both cheap enough options that if GG and Jacob prove dependable backups they could both be easily waived. Let's hope so!
Agreed, Jordan is completely washed. Teams usually keep an elder statesman type of player on the roster for leadership/mentorship, maybe Jordan is that for the Nuggets. Something Udonis Haslem for the Heat. Guy is like drawing social security at this point.

and you don't have to change your entire offense going from Jokic to Golden like you do going from Jokic to Jordan.

Agreed, Jordan is completely washed. Teams usually keep an elder statesman type of player on the roster for leadership/mentorship, maybe Jordan is that for the Nuggets. Something Udonis Haslem for the Heat. Guy is like drawing social security at this point.
Agree - but that is where I wonder now that they won the title, got the ring and got the experience - do they waive off Jordan and move on from him or do they keep him around.

Not like Grant takes Jordan's spot and starts playing backup center minutes, but would at least give Grant experience playing with and against (in practice) Jokic.

Grizzlies fall to the Clippers in an early game. Gilly with no points on only one shot attempt, but had 7 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, and a block.

Another rough game for the Nuggets, down by 20 at the half and by as much as 26. Came back some, but every time they it close to or under 10, the Jazz had an answer until the final minute when the Nuggets got the final margin down to 5 on a 3 at the buzzer to beat the spread.

Only 7 minutes for Grant, 1-for-1 from the field with a nice jump hook across the top of the lane in the closing seconds of the first quarter. Not sure why he didn’t get more time than that.

Dominating win for Gilly and the Grizz last night over the Lakers. Only 6 points for Gilly on 2-for-4 from deep, but 7 assists, 3 steals, a couple of boards, and only 1 turnover in only 22 minutes.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets destroyed the Heat, although again Grant only saw limited time (9 minutes) but made the most of it with a perfect 3-for-3 from the field. Only one board and a couple of turnovers though.

Grant leads Summer League with a 100% FG percentage on 7 shots. None of the other 8 guys at 100% have taken more than 2 shots.

Nuggets built to a 21-point lead over the Knicks late in the third quarter of their final Summer League game, but immediately gave up a 21–2 run to tighten things right back up. Back-and-forth game over the final 6 minutes, and the Nuggets survived a three attempt at the buzzer to get the 89–86 win.

Grant got 24 minutes off the bench and had 8 points on 4-of-8 shooting but missed two shots in the final 100 seconds that would have been really nice to have, including a reverse layup attempt right at the rim with 32 seconds left. He also had 7 boards, 4 assists, a steal, and no turnovers.

Gilly and the Grizz coming up around the bottom of the hour. It's Spiders Night at the Thomas and Mack Center.

Nuggets are signing big man Jay Huff to a two-way deal, which obviously isn't great for Grant.

It also looks like Dethorna out of the top Italian league is interested in him if he's considering that route.

Grant is indeed headed to the Italian Serie A, although not to the team that was originally rumored. He'll be joining Vanoli Cremona, which is being re-promoted to Serie A after a one-year stint relegated to Serie A2.

And remember that Terry Allen will also be playing in this league with Treviso.

I'm sure this was a difficult decision for Grant. After his performance in G League last year, I'd hoped he might get a shot at some time in the NBA, but moving to Europe obviously makes that less likely.

So Grant's rights have been traded from Grand Rapids to the Cleveland Charge. I'm not sure how that meshes with him currently playing in Italy. The Serie A season kicks off on October 1 and runs through May.

Was a bit surprised to noticed recently that Jacob Gilyard seems to have removed his Twitter and IG account .. doubt this means anything but found a touch odd.

Was a bit surprised to noticed recently that Jacob Gilyard seems to have removed his Twitter and IG account .. doubt this means anything but found a touch odd.
Pretty sure I know the reason, but I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of broader picture. Just protecting himself a bit I think.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT