ADVERTISEMENT

How Would You Market Richmond Spiders Football Tickets?

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
I agree with 32 that the marketing of Richmond football tickets seems very conventional, unlikely to get the attention of anybody other than diehard fans and lacks passion/emotion. It seems like we ought to be building on last season's CAA Championship battle and FCS Playoff appearance.

The dog days of summer are slowly winding down so why not have some fun sharing how you would market Richmond football season tickets and/or single game tickets.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the UR AD Marketing arm has ticket sales goals, how many folks work on sales and what their budget might be. It should also be noted, and it will probably be obvious, that I have no background in sales, or marketing of anything. I'm just a diehard Spiders football fan who'd like to see more fans at The Brickhouse.

Here's one video/audio sales pitch: An attention grabbing and convincing male, and/or female voice narrates against a background of Spiders highlights. "There are 1.3 million people living in the Richmond metro area. There can be no doubt that tens of thousands are college football fans. Only one place in the central Virginia area will host D-1 football this season, The Brick House, Robins Stadium, at The University of Richmond. Scratch your football itch this fall as the 2022 FCS Playoff Richmond Spiders battle for another CAA Championship and Playoff spot on six fall afternoons."

For years this board has laughed about folks in the AD reading the board and then taking action. If you've got some marketing ideas, throw them out there. It'll help pass the time till preseason practice begins. :D

Go Spiders!

Every local HS varsity and junior varsity team should be invited with free or heavily discounted tickets.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Unexciting,irrelevant postings on Richmond Athletics and Richmond Football sites over the last few months.Much more coverage of WBball ,MBall , T+F,XC schedule and LAX,even lowly baseball.Who cares?
Literally NOTHING about football with its revenue producing season around the corner.

The Tribe have pushed FBall everyday for the last 2 months.

Our home schedule needed some hype this season and UR PR has provided nothing as a stimulus.Coupled with the UR game day experience-the 3.5 hour experience is terribly boring.

MBBall tix are going to take it on the chin this upcoming season and I wonder if Hardt is making sure intentionally that FBall tix sales don’t outshine Mooney ball.

Clean house and hire marketing driven personnel with just a slight degree of creativity.

twitter.com/spiderathletics?s=11&t=l38nDO7OMW9fQ6aY1U2fsg

twitter.com/spiders_fb?s=11&t=l38nDO7OMW9fQ6aY1U2fsg

Last edited:
Several years ago I was a participant in a group project about football game day conducted by one of my nieces and several of her classmates.
So at least one study by students has been done.
There is so much they can do with the blank canvas. My son participated in a number of musical ensembles class performances ar various venues around campus. The school could have some of these groups perform pregame at different tailgate venues and then halftime and post game. Have the Lumineers, Lil Dickey and David East (David Brewster) play at post games concerts.
Another thought, advertise tickets for sale.

The HS drum line they had at the spring game was great, we may not have enough music students for a marching band, but surely a 4 to 8 member drum line is possible.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Not a UR marching band. Game day in Blacksburg is awesome. One apartment section near the stadium has live bands playing. Didn’t the faculty have a jazz band, the Friends of St Boatwright or similar that walked around playing? Right now the UR game day experience is reflective of the athletic dept-boring. HU had us for their homecoming last year. They had IT going on. It was fantastic.

My son played in a blues ensemble, maybe a jazz and also a bossa nova ensemble. Different ensembles could be placed In The major tailgating areas. Bring them all inside for halftime and post game

Another marketing angle for new fans in the Richmond area. This could work as video/audio on the interwebs.

Football age kid watching titillating noon Saturday ACC matchup between Boston College and Georgia Tech with football fans Dad and, or Mom...

hears announcers say something about All-American players...kid asks if they've ever seen an All-American...Dad/Mom scratches chin and shakes head no...

kid pulls out phone and searches for AA's in Richmond...they only play in one place...The Brick House, Robins Stadium at University of Richmond...family head's out to see some All- Americans on the spur of the moment.

Thanks to all who have shared their thoughts. Ha! You never know. Someone could be reading these ideas.:D

Go Spiders!

Reactions: urfan1
Check this out from the Tribe

How is the world do the Indians generate >12K views of Coach London on a poster? I can understand their fanbase is jacked about last season's Championship and this season's possibilities, but this number of views on a silent Tweet seems incredible?

Go Spiders!

I believe this cool looking Spider is Milan Howard, but not sure.

As 32 has demonstrated any program's PR/Media team can put out a "Tweet" with a player(s), coach etc. They're so many out there that I'd guess most people hardly notice them anymore unless they see Mike London (>12,000 views on a recent tweet).

Is there anything the Spiders Marketing team could do to make our "Tweets" stand out from the crowd and possibly attract new fans?

For instance, in this case, could Milan Howard say something about the single game tickets? Can you put audio on these types of "Tweets?"

He could personally invite existing fans and new fans out to a game, or mention that any of these games are important in our effort to repeat as a CAA Championship contender and FCS Playoff participant. He might even admit that the team plays better when there're more fans in the stands and of course hammer home that Richmond football is the only D-1 game in town.

You can go crazy in these dog days.

Go Spiders!

Show some boobs. Boobs in advertising usually sells. Start with..................
......................Hardt.
Ha! Whampas you are clearly caught in the haze of the dog days...but it spurs another idea... 😉

the Marketing team could get a Women's coach to make a pitch for football tickets and Coach Huesman could do likewise for Women's basketball, or another, Women's sport...

the irony of having a women pitch tickets for the most physical Men's sport and a rough and tumble football coach pitch tickets to a Woman's sport might catch a fan's attention. It certainly would be different.

Go Spiders!

Ha! Didn’t think Stony Brook Marketing Team read this board. UR Fan 1 nailed it in post #2.

Go Spiders!
Google says there are 50 high schools in the Richmond metropolitan area and neighboring counties.

That’s a lot of coaches, players and families who might enjoy a D-1 football game.

Go Spiders!

The school has no money for extra marketing. They're down to their last $2 billion or so. Maybe they should buy a couple megamillions tickets.

Also I agree with Whampas, boobs. Maybe also a men's water polo team for the ladies....

• Haha
Reactions: Mo 2.0
Get the players and coaches in the community connecting with alumni and schoolkids. That would be a great start on rebuilding attendance.

All things UR hibernated when COVID happened. It feels like UR forgot that COVID ended and stayed in hibernation.

Pretty standard to comp limited tix for high school coaches. I want to say I’d be shocked if we didn’t do that, but maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to think that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT