ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 NET Rankings

We really need to destroy Bucknell or else we will fall farther, absolutely. A 30-point win keeps us where we are our bumps us up. A 10-point win and we probably fall 8 spots.

Assuming we win vs. Bucknell - which we should, the team will have done what they needed to do to keep hopes alive since the 2 losses in the Bahamas. Our resume is good, but not great. We don't have a signature win to hang on to at this point. Right now - we will be hoping teams like Wofford and Northern Iowa do well in their leagues. Even hoping for our losses - to do well too. But given our position - I think we still need a top 2 finish in the A10 and likely 12 wins. We also need to beat the Bonnies and VCU at least 1 time as well. We can't run into a situation where we get to 12 wins, but we get swept from VCU and Bonnies.

Would have been better had we just won 2 more games - even if just the Utah State and Drake games - we would have been sitting better at this point, but overall - we still got a shot at this. Just need a strong A10 showing - which I think should be expected given the team we have.

Reactions: WCUR11
We dipped two more spots to 90.

NC State dropped 45 spots, all the way to 175.

Davidson is up to 44.

• Wow
Reactions: 8legs1dream
We dipped two more spots to 90.

NC State dropped 45 spots, all the way to 175.

Davidson is up to 44.
Thought we actually would have slipped more .. but may have been helped with toledo up 15 from 98 -> 83 and miss state up to 38 from 47.

Figured Toledo would rise nicely after they destroyed Marshall last night.

Idle Wofford slipped out of Q1 territory for us.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I'm not sure the NET rankings will matter for us this year. I think top 2 A-10 and 14-4 or better IC (which puts us at 23-8 with a Bucknell win) gets us a bid. Obviously, just in case, it would be best to avoid bad losses and get some Q1 wins in there along the way. But, I would rather be 23-8 (14-4 A-10) with a NET in the 50s than 22-9 (13-5 A-10) with a NET in the 40s. At 23-8, if we do not win the A-10 tourney, we finish with 9 losses, which just looks a heck of a lot better than 10 losses. 24-9 or 25-9 just looks way better than 23-10 or 24-10. Sure, still fun to keep an eye on them, but if we win 23 regular season games, our NET will be good enough.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I'm not sure the NET rankings will matter for us this year. I think top 2 A-10 and 14-4 or better IC (which puts us at 23-8 with a Bucknell win) gets us a bid. Obviously, just in case, it would be best to avoid bad losses and get some Q1 wins in there along the way. But, I would rather be 23-8 (14-4 A-10) with a NET in the 50s than 22-9 (13-5 A-10) with a NET in the 40s. At 23-8, if we do not win the A-10 tourney, we finish with 9 losses, which just looks a heck of a lot better than 10 losses. 24-9 or 25-9 just looks way better than 23-10 or 24-10. Sure, still fun to keep an eye on them, but if we win 23 regular season games, our NET will be good enough.
Except the committee uses NET as part of its selection process. Of course it matters.

Assuming we win vs. Bucknell - which we should, the team will have done what they needed to do to keep hopes alive since the 2 losses in the Bahamas. Our resume is good, but not great. We don't have a signature win to hang on to at this point. Right now - we will be hoping teams like Wofford and Northern Iowa do well in their leagues. Even hoping for our losses - to do well too. But given our position - I think we still need a top 2 finish in the A10 and likely 12 wins. We also need to beat the Bonnies and VCU at least 1 time as well. We can't run into a situation where we get to 12 wins, but we get swept from VCU and Bonnies.

Would have been better had we just won 2 more games - even if just the Utah State and Drake games - we would have been sitting better at this point, but overall - we still got a shot at this. Just need a strong A10 showing - which I think should be expected given the team we have.
12-6 in league play leaves us no chance at a bid. 14-4 is the minimum requirement.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Except the committee uses NET as part of its selection process. Of course it matters.
Right. That was a classic post from 4700. Hey, our NET blows, but don't worry guys, no one is looking at this year. And of course, his classic we just need to go 14-4 IC post follows, as if that shit is gonna happen. He will disappear for about a week after we lose to LaSalle.

I’m not sure I know enough about the committee and how it works, but I would assume the NET helps determine who is in the conversation and then they debate the seeds and selection of teams. If we do as the other poster suggested and finish 1st or 2nd in the A10, this should be enough to get us into the conversation and I think will earn us at an large bid. Further, the human psychology that this team had their 2020 bid take from them only will help our eventual case in March.

disregard the ncaa’s own metric? Hmm. & if we r relying on human psychology well the human psychology of Keith Gill on selection committee trumps that. Do u think he’ll be an advocate for Richmond? I don’t.

look our resume stinks. I wish it didn’t but it does. I see lot of talk about getting to bubble. 14-4 may get u to bubble but who cares if bubble is burst. & that’s what would happen. Our mindset should be what gets u IN. We need to be targeting 15-3 or better. Yes that takes a remarkable run so better be stacking lot of wins in a row. Tho imo no way we play 18 league games which hurts us even further.

Reactions: wr70beh

Agreed VT, avoid bad losses like you said. As long as we go 14-4 and our 4 losses aren’t against GW, La Salle, Duquesne, St. Joe’s I think we will be in a good spot

I'm with GK...14–4 likely puts us on the wrong side of the bubble given our schedule and résumé.

Reactions: GKiller
12-6 in league play leaves us no chance at a bid. 14-4 is the minimum requirement.
And this is why the OOC is so important and was set up for success heading into league play. Sorry, but those 4 losses (or at least 2 of 4) hurt us badly and puts significant importance on league play. A better OOC w-l record against decent teams makes the selection a bit easier and justified. Now it’s league play and tournament with not much room for error.

Drake up to 89 .. would seem like Wofford and Toledo likely to fall in NET as they play their conf schedules but Drake getting up to 75 for a Q1 loss doesn't seem impossible in the Mo Valley if they can beat LC at least one game

Reactions: plydogg
I'm with GK...14–4 likely puts us on the wrong side of the bubble given our schedule and résumé.
It all depends what that 14-4 looks like. If we have a loss to GW and only a win or two against the top of A-10 (Bonnie, VCU, Dayton, Davidson) than no that isn't going to work.

Likewise, if we go through conference season with no losses to the anchors of the league and with multiple wins over the top of the league. I think a 23-8 record gives us strong consideration.

Let's be real though, with Covid, we aren't going to be playing an 18 game conference schedule, which makes projecting anything now, just glorified guesswork.

How about the good guys sweep Feces U, Davidson, SLU, the welders, and Dayton? And lose to Fordham, LaSalle and GW?

No chance of NCAA tournament in that scenario. Best part to our weak resume is no terrible losses. Losing to any of the 4 teams mentioned would obviously change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, it probably matters if we finish in the 70s. But, my point is I think it's all about wins for us. And, if we get to 23 regular season wins, our net will be good enough. Being a mid major, I would rather have 23 regular season wins and a net in the 50s than 21 or 22 and a net in the 40s. The power conference schools do not need as many wins, so their net is maybe more important if they are compared with other power conference schools. One thing to remember is the committee doesn't make choices based on the net. They use the net to define the quadrants, so our opponents' net rankings are way more important than our own.

Last edited:
And this is why the OOC is so important and was set up for success heading into league play. Sorry, but those 4 losses (or at least 2 of 4) hurt us badly and puts significant importance on league play. A better OOC w-l record against decent teams makes the selection a bit easier and justified. Now it’s league play and tournament with not much room for error.
While I agree that 11-2 would look a lot better than 9-4 right now, with the A-10 where it is right now (a likely 2 or 3 at most bid league), 12-6 IC and a possible 4th place A-10 finish after going 11-2 would be worse than 14-4 IC after going 9-4. So, while OOC matters, what we do IC is more important.

Comparing us to Davidson, kenpom has Davidson at 55 and us at 60. Davidson is at 22 for offensive efficiency and 119 for defensive, while we are at 44 and 94. We have a much better OOC SOS number than they do, 79 us, 194 them.

Drake up to 89 .. would seem like Wofford and Toledo likely to fall in NET as they play their conf schedules but Drake getting up to 75 for a Q1 loss doesn't seem impossible in the Mo Valley if they can beat LC at least one game
The great thing about the NET compared to the RPI is that it does't matter as much WHO you play, but HOW you perform against opponents. Wofford's NET won't go down just by virtue of playing weaker opponents as long as they perform well (high margin of victory) against the weak opponents. In the past a great team in a weak conference would get screwed by the RPI, that won't happen as much with NET.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT