ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 NET Rankings

It's frustrating, but at the same time, what are they supposed to say publicly? "Yeah, it's only January 6, but our season has come down to four (maybe five) days in March."

It's frustrating, but at the same time, what are they supposed to say publicly? "Yeah, it's only January 6, but our season has come down to four (maybe five) days in March."

no I don’t expect him to say that but there r many ways to express optimism while being very mindful of the present & very recent past. It just strikes me as relying on some kind of ncaa fairy appearing.

I mean it’s also possible mermaids exist & there’s a Leprechaun w a pot o gold at the end of the rainbow.

We could also go 1 and 17. We won't because we will not play 18 league games. Finish 8 and 7, right on Mooney's schedule.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I don’t know where to put this. I’m not surprised by this comment we’ve heard it regularly from players & Mooney. They just don’t get it. If 9-6 wasn’t panic mode on a team that was expected to be one of the best non p6 teams I don’t know what is. No urgency. Sure u can theoretically go 16-2. It’s good u plan to win 16 in a row!
Sign me up. but it shows a lack of understanding of where u stack up currently & the realistic virtually zero chances of accomplishing such a run. Not to mention the fact everyone single person in country knows getting all 18 conf games in might be at lottery ticket odds. But again they take cues from Mooney.

This stuff is my biggest problem with the program too. You know what would have made it easier to go 16-2? Winning the first three games in the league, instead of going 1-2 and relying upon something that's probably NEVER HAPPENED in the history of UR basketball. It should have been been a five-alarm fire after the OOC season ended, but instead we came out and got humiliated by an average team on our home court. You're right, they just don't get it.

This stuff is my biggest problem with the program too. You know what would have made it easier to go 16-2? Winning the first three games in the league, instead of going 1-2 and relying upon something that's probably NEVER HAPPENED in the history of UR basketball. It should have been been a five-alarm fire after the OOC season ended, but instead we came out and got humiliated by an average team on our home court. You're right, they just don't get it.

Yep it's like no big deal, now we'll just flip the switch and run off 16 in a row.

But for the record I believe in mermaids...as soon as I saw Daryl Hannah in Splash.

Every game matters. But hey, if we now feel like we’re ready to go on a 16 game winning streak then super. Looking forward to it.

Mooney is like the boy who cried wolf.

"This time we are really going to focus on starting strong. *Proceed to get killed by St. Joe's*

"This time we are going to come out and show them what we're made of." *Proceed to lose to an average SLU team.*

"This time we really need to play two solid halves." *Proceed to play one solid half against UMass.*

Might as well follow other teams NET.
UNI was 244 after we played them. Since then they are 4-2 (all wins against 200+ teams) and are now 125. So a Quad 2 win. What a formula!

At least that helps SBU…:oops:

16-2. Huh. They've all bought into Mooney's "tomorrow" crap. And then on top of this statement is the reality that they aren't going to change one single thing about how they play, who plays, any leadership on the court. They are going to do the EXACT same thing that led them to be 10-6 and somehow poof they might go 15-0 the rest of the year. Truly delusional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also this lack of any sense of urgency. No need to panic guys, were just gonna roll out 15 in a row now. Honestly, this is almost parody at this point. Does he really believe that? My god. St. Joes just curb stomped your asses, St. Louis kept you at arms length with relative ease. Haven't played Bonnie, VCU, Dayton, Davidson yet, teams that are all better than us yet. I'm sure this quote is going up on their locker room. I hope Gilly is ready for the 16-2 statement to be smack talked to him by other teams.

it's almost farcical at this point isn't it 97? This has to be the most inept basketball program in the country.
"The most inept basketball program in the country" feels a little hyperbolic, don't you think?

This is how I get lumped in the general vicinity of the "Truthers." Saying we are the most inept program in the country is totally absurd.

It might be ok to say “most underperforming” MBB team in the country. That’s not hyperbolic. Maybe just bolic…

Not a pretty sight urmite being 7th with St Bonny behind you. Not much better at Kenny. The AAC doesn't appear strong this year but surprised how highly ranked numerous MWC teams are along with the now big 4 in the WCC. Wondering how many bid schools will come out of those two conferences.

So it took the very next game to eliminate the 16-2 possibility. close.

our concern now should be the kenpom top 100 banner. We r at 97. Time to blow out Fordham & solidify our Kenpom destiny.

Don’t worry, we’re starting to really figure out defense. Pretty soon, we might even be able to hold opponents under 85, and then, look out!

• Wow
Reactions: 8legs1dream
"The most inept basketball program in the country" feels a little hyperbolic, don't you think?

This is how I get lumped in the general vicinity of the "Truthers." Saying we are the most inept program in the country is totally absurd.
Dude. Yes, a Chicago state is going to be more inept. But when you look at the money spent, the bs narrative that mooniocrity is a great coach :), the charters, the practice facility etc, we can compete for ineptitude. Only truthers and family on moons defense now.

Reactions: fatherspider
I was trying to make Eightlegger happy showing another area team’s change without playing…

Losing a home game to us sent Fordham tumbling 25 spots down to 169. We moved up three to 101, one spot ahead of the similarly underachieving Bonnie's.

RPI at #66 and Davidson at #38 today.

Does that mean we go to +/- 78 with a W on Saturday?Or even better if RPI knocks off Davidson tonite.

I still say NET has become a gambling statistic.

It seems to measure how well you do against the spread.

FYI I expect us to open as a 2 point favorite Saturday, pending the Davidson outcome.

RPI at #66 and Davidson at #38 today.

Does that mean we go to +/- 78 with a W on Saturday?Or even better if RPI knocks off Davidson tonite.
If VCU wins tonight and then we beat them by 20+ Saturday, we probably move up to 70-75. If they lose tonight and we beat them by 1-5, we move up to 82ish.

If VCU wins tonight and then we beat them by 20+ Saturday, we probably move up to 70-75. If they lose tonight and we beat them by 1-5, we move up to 82ish.
I have an awful feeling the crowd will be back to 50/50 this Saturday. Dreading this game.

For now...

Beating Toledo at home is better than beating...
VCU
SLU
Dayton

...at home.

Eight losses before February. EIGHT. From one of if not the most experienced teams in the history of college basketball which didn't even play a tough schedule at all. Eight losses only two-thirds of the way through the season.

I am looking at schedules and NET team sheets and just shaking my head over here, doesn't make sense and doesn't add up. Somebody please stop the bleeding or this program is in real danger of never recovering from what Moonie has done to it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT