ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Walz - Player Eval

Not sure if this is as interesting to everyone else as it is to me, but here are some offensive rebounding stats over the past 16 years, along with some commentary.

ORB = offensive rebounding rate (number of offensive rebounds / number of misses). For teams this is just total offensive rebounds / total missed field goals. For players this only counts misses when they are on the court.

The table below shows the D1 Avg ORB each season, Richmond's ORB, the top player in terms of ORB for that season, and their individual ORB.

SeasonD1 Avg ORBRichmond ORBTop PlayerPlayer ORB
2429.017.3Walz9.6
2328.521.0Quinn8.2
2228.122.4Cayo6.9
2128.020.3Burton5.8
2028.022.6Burton7.7
1928.419.1Cayo5.3
1828.723.4Buckingham6.2
1729.320.7Buckingham5.2
1629.823.2Allen7.2
1531.022.2Allen6.8
1431.426.0Allen7.8
1331.827.1DWill9.2
1231.427.6DWill / Garret11.1 / 8.3
1133.826.9Garret13.8
1034.324.0FCM / Garret8.7 / 8.5

For reference, Beagle had a 9.7 ORB last year at Albany.

- Walz is statistically our best offensive rebounder since Darius Garret. Garret's 13.8 ORB in 2011 put him at roughly top 50 nationally.
- We haven't had a really great offensive rebounder since DWill and Garret back in the early 2010s.
- Our best offensive rebounder tends to perform at a high level over multiple seasons, it usually isn't a fluke when a player has a good season.
- TJ and Golden were not getting a lot of offensive rebound, probably because they were focusing more on running the offense. Somehow, Quinn was getting a decent amount of offensive rebounds in 23 though.

- The national ORB rate steadily declined from 2010 to 2020, but has been on the rise since. It is always interesting to see such clear national trends in the game.
- As we all know, Richmond performs well below the national average for ORB every year.
I looked at similar data earlier and somehow missed Walz. Probably because I was looking at players who averaged 16 minutes or more.

I wonder what the average number of misses has been in recent years? That might give an idea of the difference between 28% and 20%. Perhaps 2 rebounds a game?

Not sure if this is as interesting to everyone else as it is to me, but here are some offensive rebounding stats over the past 16 years, along with some commentary.
really interesting stuff, Fan.
I had no idea Walz had that kind of ORB rate. impressive.
pretty bizarre that last season was by far our worst ORB team rate and biggest gap from the D1 average, yet we went 15-3 in-conference. I wonder if defensive rebound rate has a better correlation to winning?

Garrett, FCM, and Burton were just different level quick-twitch athletes than what we usually put out there in the frontcourt. recuit those kind of athletes and all of our rebounding improves.

also, how about the underappreciated Terry Allen coming in 3 times? had to go back and look at his stats. almost 1,500 points, and only played 13 mpg as a freshman. 7.7 rpg as a senior to go with 17.3 ppg and 2.2 apg.

really interesting stuff, Fan.
I had no idea Walz had that kind of ORB rate. impressive.
pretty bizarre that last season was by far our worst ORB team rate and biggest gap from the D1 average, yet we went 15-3 in-conference. I wonder if defensive rebound rate has a better correlation to winning?
Jordan King making 41% of the 203 three-pointers he took probably didn't hurt. High-volume, high-percentage long-range shooting will cover up offensive rebounding deficiencies.

also, how about the underappreciated Terry Allen coming in 3 times? had to go back and look at his stats. almost 1,500 points, and only played 13 mpg as a freshman. 7.7 rpg as a senior to go with 17.3 ppg and 2.2 apg.

Underappreciated I think is a good description. Maybe how he carried himself on court pretty reserved, but he could play & do many things.

I sat behind our bench at an away game, I think when TA was a freshman. He gets subbed out, & Moon who didn't even get up off his seat, just dryly says "Terry this isn't high school". as he walks to end of bench. I was too close to the scene so I had to hold back the chuckle.

and as SpiderK would say...definitely no handshake. Where is SpiderK these days?

Underappreciated I think is a good description. Maybe how he carried himself on court pretty reserved, but he could play & do many things.

I sat behind our bench at an away game, I think when TA was a freshman. He gets subbed out, & Moon who didn't even get up off his seat, just dryly says "Terry this isn't high school". as he walks to end of bench. I was too close to the scene so I had to hold back the chuckle.

and as SpiderK would say...definitely no handshake. Where is SpiderK these days?
Hard to shake hands with T. rex arms…

Spiderk last post was Buffalo game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT