ADVERTISEMENT

2021–22 NET Rankings

89 -> 85 with the Terriers charging up 25 slots after dominating the Presbyterians and for the moment giving us a q1 win on

Reactions: plydogg
What an absurd system. Presbyterian was ranked 210 before that game. What possible combination of events could have resulted in Wofford moving up to 73 by beating them? Just ridiculous.

They say margin of victory is no longer a factor, but it HAS to be baked in somehow. Don’t see any other way to explain it. They did destroy Presby.

Similar story with Bona after the VT game. They dropped a lot even though Tech was highly rated, so that big margin has to be affecting things.

They say margin of victory is no longer a factor, but it HAS to be baked in somehow. Don’t see any other way to explain it. They did destroy Presby.

Similar story with Bona after the VT game. They dropped a lot even though Tech was highly rated, so that big margin has to be affecting things.
Right … I also read no impact on scoring margin which to me seems odd and wrong at the time so not sure what is going on

Basically we need to beat Fordham by 30 on the road Jan. 8 and we should be about 45th in the NET.

Georgia also lost to Mason yesterday and dropped 26 spots.
There seem to be much fewer teams that are good or bad every single game this year. Less consistency…

Last edited:
I really like this. It shows our rankings by 7 different rating agencies. Net ranking seem to be 20 spaces lower than the average for the others. Hopefully they converge as the season goes on, which would improve our NET ranking.

One observation of the NET is the the top half of the A10 is pretty strong with a lot of top 110 teams. Only 3 conferences have more.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Some of the other rankings may still include a preseason component (haven’t checked to confirm), which would likely account for some of the difference. But we’re getting enough data now that preseason weightings should be phasing out.

Efficiency margin. Same as margin of victory, just adjusted for tempo.

Efficiency margin. Same as margin of victory, just adjusted for tempo.
I think they said margin of victory and winning percentage no longer counted.
But I don’t think that means no longer related to value calculated.

I think they said margin of victory and winning percentage no longer counted.
But I don’t think that means no longer related to value calculated.
They were "double counting" margin of victory previously by using both it and efficiency margin. I believe they removed the straight margin of victory component, but the point differential in final scores is still a factor through the efficiency margin component.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Other than margin of victory, how is Davidson so high? They haven’t even PLAYED any above average teams, let alone beat anyone. I hope they beat Alabama to raise the level of the A10, but they seem overrated.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Sure is frustrating, isn't it? All we can do is keep winning games.
If we could have just gotten one of the Utah State, Maryland, Mississippi St games, we would be right where we want to be right now. We didn't though. We are not in a terrible position though but we have also left ourselves little margin for error.

there is not much point to be too concerned w our NET until the Davidson game 1/14. I said it weeks ago it would take minimum double digit win streak to get back in the mix at all. We made our bed. 5 of the next 6 we’ll be big favs too not much there to help us. Only the SLU away game would. That game is key. Win that 1 toss up take care of the others then care. This is not even factoring likely cancellations. Torvik has upped to .2% at large odds still seems about right.

Let’s go ahead and win the league regular season. I think that would get us in regardless if our record is 14-4 or 15-3. Even with a very down A-10 it would be hard to believe they keep the a-10 regular season winner out. Esp with the somewhat raised profile of our team over the past 2 years, Gilyards record, Burton’s potential. Think the committee and national media would give us the edge over another mid major or shitty P5 team.

Reactions: VT4700
Is the NET ranking meant to be monitored on a daily basis? Or is it meant to check every week or two or even wait until say 20 games into the season to get a better idea?

It feels like we’re checking out stock portfolio daily and overreacting to one bad day knowing full well we won’t be thinking about selling for another 2+ months

Really the only thing that matters is the NET on Selection Sunday, so why don't we just ignore it entirely until then?

Some folks (like me) enjoy watching the day-to-day movements. Just like with my stock portfolio.

Is the NET ranking meant to be monitored on a daily basis? Or is it meant to check every week or two or even wait until say 20 games into the season to get a better idea?

It feels like we’re checking out stock portfolio daily and overreacting to one bad day knowing full well we won’t be thinking about selling for another 2+ months
Yeah you’re not wrong. But it’s also interesting to see how the sausage is made, and so far, I have many questions and am not feeling too hungry anymore.

Let’s go ahead and win the league regular season. I think that would get us in regardless if our record is 14-4 or 15-3. Even with a very down A-10 it would be hard to believe they keep the a-10 regular season winner out. Esp with the somewhat raised profile of our team over the past 2 years, Gilyards record, Burton’s potential. Think the committee and national media would give us the edge over another mid major or shitty P5 team.
Sounds plausible, I agree. The problem though is that let’s say we do go 15-3 in league play. Who do we lose to? If we get swept by the Boonies and lose to whoever the other top team ends up being, then we probably have 15 pretty average/not particularly impressive wins. But if we beat all the other good teams, then we are talking about having three bad losses to the GWs/Lasalles/St. Joe’s of the world.

I think in that scenario we would need at worst a split with the Bonnies and VCU and then a loss to someone no worse than fifth place in the league.

Reactions: SpiderDogg

I do that all the time. Is that wrong?

Yeah, they definitely have to be the right three losses. As it stands right now, we have one Q1 game (@SLU) and six Q2 games (Davidson, @URI, @GMU, VCU, SLU, @Bona) left. Obviously quads will move over time, but that's the general idea.

The three losses really need to come from whatever the group of Q1/Q2 games is, but we're in sore need of a Q1 win in there somewhere. Wofford is currently Q1 through the magic of the NET, but I don't expect that to hold. I also don't expect any of our other OOC wins to move up to Q1. So we need to separate with another solid team or two at the top of the A-10 and split with whoever that is/those are (SLU, Bona, VCU?). The A-10 can't afford to cannibalize itself.

Sounds plausible, I agree. The problem though is that let’s say we do go 15-3 in league play. Who do we lose to? If we get swept by the Boonies and lose to whoever the other top team ends up being, then we probably have 15 pretty average/not particularly impressive wins. But if we beat all the other good teams, then we are talking about having three bad losses to the GWs/Lasalles/St. Joe’s of the world.

I think in that scenario we would need at worst a split with the Bonnies and VCU and then a loss to someone no worse than fifth place in the league.
For sure. Need to avoid land mines on the schedule and also win some games against the top teams in the league. Need to stomp Bucknell as well or all of this talk is moot.

Yeah, they definitely have to be the right three losses. As it stands right now, we have one Q1 game (@SLU) and six Q2 games (Davidson, @URI, @GMU, VCU, SLU, @Bona) left. Obviously quads will move over time, but that's the general idea.

The three losses really need to come from whatever the group of Q1/Q2 games is, but we're in sore need of a Q1 win in there somewhere. Wofford is currently Q1 through the magic of the NET, but I don't expect that to hold. I also don't expect any of our other OOC wins to move up to Q1. So we need to separate with another solid team or two at the top of the A-10 and split with whoever that is/those are (SLU, Bona, VCU?). The A-10 can't afford to cannibalize itself.
we need separation of the top teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT