ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Roster As of 2/6/19

With college football turning into Free agency,UR with a small roster,should think long and hard about NOT RED SHIRTING players in the future.Losing 22-23 year old redshirt seniors to transferring to other schools as graduate transfers will cause a bad taste for Coaches and fans alike particularly given the prior 4 years of “ prior investment” only to lose out on a student’s 5th year graduate transfer.

We should play all 16(sans Castellano-ACL) incoming recruits many more than the 4 game Redshirt allowance this upcoming season.
Frequently, players are red shirted so that they can develop physically and get use to the rigors of
being a college student. With few exceptions, and there are some, most kids aren’t ready to step
into playing at the college level right out of high school.

Man so the roster might be smaller. So only 5 wr practicing 3 te. How many DBs do we have on the field now? How many rbs if Palmer goes? 76 might be a stretch.

Frequently, players are red shirted so that they can develop physically and get use to the rigors of
being a college student. With few exceptions, and there are some, most kids aren’t ready to step
into playing at the college level right out of high school.

Your statement has no validity for 2019.

not a good sign if they are correct, especially going into a 12 game regular season

Your statement has no validity for 2019.
Of course it does. Every school will be having the same scenario.
Kids of 2019 aren’t going to be anymore ready than kids of 2017 were.
Kids will leave whether they are red shirt seniors or just seniors. It’s up to the program to
make transferring less attractive.

Of course it does. Every school will be having the same scenario.
Kids of 2019 aren’t going to be anymore ready than kids of 2017 were.
Kids will leave whether they are red shirt seniors or just seniors. It’s up to the program to
make transferring less attractive.

You have obviously not been following our roster developments at all.Yikes.

Brissett and Palmer are no longer on our roster.

71 on 2019 roster without additional walkons or additional transfers.

71-16 (incoming frosh) = 55 max # uninjured rostered players available for Spring ball.

Last edited:
is this the worst off season ever? when does the good news start, at the rate they are going the spring game should be the guys just playing madden 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: 32counter
I guess we going to support and celebrate who stays and enjoy the accomplishments of this team.

5c8033a746727.image.jpg

Spiders' star receiver Dejon Brissett runs go route, leaving as grad transfer

JOHN O'CONNOR·21 minutes ago

The University of Richmond's first spring practice was March 1, and Dejon Brissett, the program's top receiver and pro prospect, was in uniform and involved. He is no longer a Spider.

Since then, Brissett determined that he will use his final season of eligibility elsewhere as a graduate transfer, a school spokesman confirmed Wednesday afternoon. Brissett, a 6-foot-2 180-pounder from Ontario, Canada, was named first team All-CAA two seasons ago, when he made 63 catches for 896 yards (7 touchdowns).

Last year, he suffered a season-ending ankle injury on Sept. 13 during a 35-27 win at Saint Francis. In three games, Brissett made 16 receptions for 299 yards and one touchdown. He was also the FCS leader in kickoff returns after three games. He averaged 51.5 yards on four returns and brought back one of those 94 yards for a TD at SFU.

i know its early and things can change but is there any reason to think this year will be better than last year?

5c8033a746727.image.jpg

Spiders' star receiver Dejon Brissett runs go route, leaving as grad transfer

JOHN O'CONNOR·21 minutes ago

The University of Richmond's first spring practice was March 1, and Dejon Brissett, the program's top receiver and pro prospect, was in uniform and involved. He is no longer a Spider.

Since then, Brissett determined that he will use his final season of eligibility elsewhere as a graduate transfer, a school spokesman confirmed Wednesday afternoon. Brissett, a 6-foot-2 180-pounder from Ontario, Canada, was named first team All-CAA two seasons ago, when he made 63 catches for 896 yards (7 touchdowns).

Last year, he suffered a season-ending ankle injury on Sept. 13 during a 35-27 win at Saint Francis. In three games, Brissett made 16 receptions for 299 yards and one touchdown. He was also the FCS leader in kickoff returns after three games. He averaged 51.5 yards on four returns and brought back one of those 94 yards for a TD at SFU.

This is very discouraging.

How many times do we need to look at the AD? When several sports are in decline it’s no coincidence.

How many times do we need to look at the AD? When several sports are in decline it’s no coincidence.
Dejon and Jay leaving certainly did not help, but I do not think we can lay this one on the present AD.
Last I checked our recruiting class was ranked pretty high and we had talented freshman last year, looks like they will be forced to grow up faster than was expected.
At least we have room for a couple more transfers if the coaches can find some. They certainly should have playing time as a selling point.

The depth chart on both sides is probably not in place but they do have guys who have played so the coaches know what they can do.

Last edited:
i know its early and things can change but is there any reason to think this year will be better than last year?
Im not holding my breath. Unless we somehow pick up some random high impact transfers. This graduate transfer rule, while I understand it really sucks for a school like us. Have either of our programs benefited from it the way it has decimated us?

Im not holding my breath. Unless we somehow pick up some random high impact transfers. This graduate transfer rule, while I understand it really sucks for a school like us. Have either of our programs benefited from it the way it has decimated us?

I stated above(which some didn’t understand at all) that UR should evaluate its own redshirt policy.
With college football also becoming a Free agent market(like basketball) UR should not redshirt for redshirt
sake.Otherwise,we will continue to become an exit RSr market-graduate Transfer-for FBS/BCS Schools needing to fill an 83 man roster because of their own attrition while promising the Moon to an aspiring FCS Star.Of course,Brissett’s early 2018 season ending injury in the SFU game allowed Dejon to redshirt.

I stated above(which some didn’t understand at all) that UR should evaluate its own redshirt policy.
With college football also becoming a Free agent market(like basketball) UR should not redshirt for redshirt
sake.Otherwise,we will continue to become an exit RSr market-graduate Transfer-for FBS/BCS Schools needing to fill an 83 man roster because of their own attrition while promising the Moon to an aspiring FCS Star.Of course,Brissett’s early 2018 season ending injury in the SFU game allowed Dejon to redshirt.
IIRC RH is a big fan exactly what you say we need to get away from? All I have ever heard is him wanting to RS everyone he can. I don't know how we get around this but if we don't figure it out soon its going to be like this every year. I feel like the momentum every offseason for our "revenue" sports is geared towards rebuilding/mitigating damage from the offseason.

is there any area of this team we can honestly say has improved from last year? afraid this might be a hard year to judge the coaching staff, might need the whole length of coach russ contract to turn it around.

is there any area of this team we can honestly say has improved from last year? afraid this might be a hard year to judge the coaching staff, might need the whole length of coach russ contract to turn it around.

I think both lines, the secondary and the defensive backfield should all be improved. Those are all important areas.

If we can cut our interceptions in half, quarterback will be vastly improved too. Nowhere to go but up at QB.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
andrew clyde will be very hard to replace on the d line, the o line just need to keep them healthy , brissett going really hurts , and i just dont see how it turns out well at quarterback with what we have now , the frosh looks good on tape but its alot to ask to him to come in and start, would help if goodall stays healthy , for sure down at te and depth at wide receiver , fessler should help. six wins this year i think would be a big moral victory

Do we have any healthy RBs this year in Spring Ball? It seems like every year we lose 2-3 RBs before the season even gets going and then another 1-2 in season. I'd love to see someone step up at that position.

Do we have any healthy RBs this year in Spring Ball? It seems like every year we lose 2-3 RBs before the season even gets going and then another 1-2 in season. I'd love to see someone step up at that position.

I think we are in need of 1-2 RBs.With Deontez and now Jay hitting the road early we lose both depth and size.
We now have 2 RsF(5-10,185),X (5-9,180),Campbell(5-10,190).We have 4 rostered RBs which is not sufficient
especially given our size.We always seem to have difficulties in defending/stopping against big backs.
Our opposition wont have to worry about that with us.No Hightower or Vaughn size among our backs.

We have 2 TEs rostered including an incoming frosh.Not enough.We need 1-2 more.I could see Ben Maffe
moving from WR to TE.

With Ben Castellano out for the season and now attrition it’s a good thing that Charlie Fessler transferred in from Northwestern.Our WR corp has gone from strong to suspect.Not sure how we didn’t sign Ayinde Budd
out of Collegiate at 6-5,210 who ended up at UD.That was dumb.

Last edited:
think your right about maffe , his size speed , could create match up problems , but it also takes away from the wr depth, they have to add more players by july i would hope. i am sure they are trying, the castelano injury really hurts , this year true frosh will have to contribute more than four games

think your right about maffe , his size speed , could create match up problems , but it also takes away from the wr depth, they have to add more players by july i would hope. i am sure they are trying, the castelano injury really hurts , this year true frosh will have to contribute more than four games

Me thinks of the 16 incoming frosh,8-10 will be playing well beyond the 4 game max for redshirt qualification.

I agree with the sentiment that we should redshirt a lot less. It almost seemed like last season we got so excited about the 4-game rule that the coaches expended too much effort trying to maximize our use of it.

Play your best guys, freshman or not.

Reactions: 32counter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT