ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Signees

Huesman spoke glowingly of the new OL Coach Ross in the release about the new staff. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table with the 'big uglies'.

Reactions: urfan1
Long time lurker but I wanted to ask about one of our verbals (Nate Evans). Is he a firm commit because looking at his Twitter I don't see much about us. He had a picture of his in home with Coach but it's no longer up.

would hate to lose him, he seems to be a class kid, and is clearly a talented athlete

No it doesn't. I wasn't sure if anyone else noticed.
It had been noticed, but nothing official to report other than the observation that his W&M mentions remain up and he's followed a couple of Tribe folks recently. (Has also recently followed some of our new staff as well.)

Kyle Davis to JMU...we'd offered him back in November, obviously under the previous staff.

It had been noticed, but nothing official to report other than the observation that his W&M mentions remain up and he's followed a couple of Tribe folks recently. (Has also recently followed some of our new staff as well.)
Thanks for the update!

Allan George, one of Russ's first offers after he arrived, has a final six and we're on the list.

And another one, Frizzell, picked up a Citadel offer.

would hate to lose him, he seems to be a class kid, and is clearly a talented athlete
Agreed would hate to lose a local kid. Especially to another rival after committing to us. If it's one position we can afford to lose a commit to and recover, its RB. Thompson plus our other two backs who are underclass men are back.

Unfortunately its going to be hard to keep a lot of these commits. The way things played out imagine our coach didn't have much nice to say about the school. Well rebound but expect to see some attrition with our prior commits. Feel well have a very strong class next year as a result. Perhaps a transfer or two.

Reactions: 4EVRFB
Agreed. Unfortunately, this comes with the territory of having the former coach torch everything on his way out. I have no doubt Huesman and his staff are doing everything they can to get a solid class signed on 2/1.

Without question, Rocco put a lot of doubt in these guys' minds about UR football and whether we like it or not, these young men did commit to those coaches, not just the University. Russ is going to be great, maybe even better than Rocco, but he has a different offensive and defensive philosophy and the recruits (and current players) have to consider how they fit into that. Same as I'm sure Russ is deciding if these recruits fit from his perspective. I hate to see us lose any recruits but if the coach or the player no longer sees it as a fit, then maybe it's for the best. And I'd rather lose them to WM anyday than UD.

For those of you that are still fans of Coach Rocco, these players that are de-commiting from UR are a direct result of Rocco trashing UR on his way out. For all the good that he did as our coach, he has totally embarrassed himself and shown his true colors. I do not wish him well and I hope that we crush Delaware every time that we play him. If he never makes the play-offs again, he has gotten what he deserves. Regardless of the faults of UR's athletic administration, you don't exit like he exited. Totally classless.

Durden re-committed to Mercer...

And Hagan has picked up an offer from Georgia Southern...

"UR notebook: Russ Huesman in full-blown panic mode trying to scrape together a recruiting class"

"UR notebook: Russ Huesman in full-blown panic mode trying to scrape together a recruiting class"
I think that we're having short memories. When Rocco came in there were recruiting problems the first year
but he was able to keep things together and field a competitive team. I see the same thing happening here.
Huesman, may have a tough time this year, as does every new coach to a program, but one year, especially the first year, sure doesn't mean the end. Next year's recruits will be this staffs people and we won't have to concern ourselves with Rocco or anyone else.

Looks like we've got some of the new guys in on official visits today.

In other recruit news, Page has been offered by Furman (anybody know if we're still involved?) and Doherty picked up an offer from Indiana State.

the prior staff for Delaware must not have pursued many good players, and Rocco and staff must not be exciting many that were on the fence about UD

Message to Rocco and staff leave Richmond commits alone or your guys will always be fair game

When you have a coach like Fontel who is so likable and who engages personally with the recruits, it becomes more difficult not to consider the personality over the school. I mean this as a compliment to Fontel who, in my opinion, was one of the best recruiters we have had in a very long time.

That said, the recruits fail to consider the likelihood that because of his success Fontel (and others) will probably move up or laterally very soon and they will be without him as their coach at the school he urged them to attend. As much as I agree with the former post that it is silly to criticize a recruit for picking a coach over a school, I nevertheless think that it is wise to have the recruit (and his family) realize that changes in staff will likely occur and that the choice of school is also an important consideration.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT